Start by marking “Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1)

Hotter After Midnight (Midnight #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  5,507 Ratings  ·  282 Reviews

A Seductive Nighttime World...

Dr. Emily Drake's psychotherapy patients tend to be a little unusual. Instead of midlife crises and mother fixations, Emily treats vampires with blood phobias and sex-demons looking for meaningful relationships. But healing these powerful beings requires an important rule: Never trust a shifter. Especially not one like Detective Colin Gyth,

Published (first published May 1st 2008)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I read this book awhile back and don't have a lot of recollection of the details of the story however, I do recall having a hard time forming any real connection with the characters, but I did enjoy the plot. To be honest, my favorite parts of the book were the sessions with Dr. Emily Drake's psychotherapy patients. A Succubus who wanted to be looked at as more than just a sex symbol, a vampire who didn't want to drink blood... those were some funny characters!

While I think this book suffers fro
Quinn

Author Jacquelyn Frank describes this book as “A cross between CSI and Medium, only hotter and with a hero that truly has bite!”, and that is a fairly apt summation. Hotter After Midnight is an unusual mix of police procedural, paranormal romance and suspense.

Dr. Emily Drake is a psychotherapist who specialises in treating Other - supernatural beings whose existence is still considered myth and fairytale by most of humankind. Her psychic gift of awareness and the ability to see into mi
Dina
Jan 20, 2011 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: MelissaB
I'm feeling lazy, so I'm just going to say that I agree with almost everything that Quinn wrote in her review. The only dissenting note is, I didn't have a problem with the insta-lust between Colin and Emily - and that's why this book worked better for me than for her.
Jill
Jul 21, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hot, paranormal romance, review to come. Loving Cynthia Eden.

Review!
This one had a real romantic suspense crossed with paranormal feel.
We have a murderer that the people in the "know" know is a shifter. However the rest of the world is unaware of the existence of these creatures. And by creatures I don't mean just your standard vampires, shifters, demons. In this world we have every sort of creature you could ever imagine. Djinn's, charmers, witches and warlocks just to name a few.
We have Emily
Julie (jjmachshev)
May 30, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads, erotica
It's hard for me to definitively describe this book as erotica vs. romance. I will say that I enjoyed reading this book.

Emily is the Monster Doctor, a shrink for the monsters. When we first meet Emily, she is trying to help a newly turned vamp who is disgusted by the thought of drinking blood! Emily herself is human, but has always had the ability to recognize the "Other". When Emily is called in to profile a serial killer, it becomes clear that the killer is an "Other". If that wasn't bad enou
Mei
Sep 03, 2013 Mei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I thoroughly enjoyed this paranormal!

It has a distinctive "taste" of Ms. Eden's writing and I loved it!
It is interesting and easy to read and the story flows without problems. The world building was interesting too and as soon as I finished this one, I have to grab the next in the series! LOL

I loved Emily's definition as Monster Doctor - for me it was fun. I laughed at the beginning when she's psychoanalysing a vampire with blood phobia!!!
She's great and tries to have her life under control. Ob
Megan
Emily is a human (or is she??) psychic psychologist, affectionately known as the Monster Doctor. Colin is a sexy shifter cop. (But what kind of shifter is he? Were's are the most dangerous. And volatile. And they mate for life. And must be avoided at all cost because they are so dangerous. Has it been mentioned that they are dangerous? Boy, oh boy I hope the cop is anything but a were!)

Let's see, Emily hasn't been in a relationship for a while, dresses sensibly, and is sex-ay. Sound familiar? Se
TJ
I really, really, REALLY wish there was a sensuality listing on books. That way I wouldn't have to ruin with a rating a book that others might like. I picked this up on Kindle. The synopsis describes it as a paranormal romance. It is actually an erotic paranormal. If your a graphic sex-scene skipper (like me), you won't have much of a book left to read. Unfortunately what is left of the story just isn't very well written either. It rates two stars because the suspense at the end was actually ...more
MsRomanticReads

As far as I'm concerned, this book is hot before, during and after midnight. I really liked this story, the first of the Midnight Trilogy. Emily Drake has been able to see the Other (as in all mythical creatures) ever since she was a child. Now she's a shrink to the things that are the cause of what goes bump in the night. That's actually a rather cute idea. When savagely mutilated body of a demon turns up, an old friend and Captain of the Atlanta PD calls her in for her help.

Detective Colin Gy
Jessica Frances
Sep 19, 2015 Jessica Frances rated it it was amazing
Hotter After Midnight has a little bit of everything. It has mystery, gore, sexy scenes, a romance between a shifter and a human and some great suspense moments. Doctor Emily Drake has been dubbed the Monster Doctor since she helps the supernatural deal with issues that she has a special ability to gain insight to. She is going about her business as usual when she is called to help on a grizzly murder case which puts her right into the cross-hairs of a killer. I enjoyed this story which has many ...more
Marianne
Just finished reading the Midnight trilogy by Cynthia Eden and I must say I really enjoyed the books about the Others & the humans that grow to love them. Each story can be read individually, but you'll enjoy the books more if you read them all, in order. (Because while each book is a standalone, with a separate love story, there is also a fourth love story that takes place over the course of all three books.)

In the first book we meet Dr. Emily Drake. Known as the Monster Doctor, she's not y
Gina
the characters could have used a little more development. There wasn't enough to explain Emily's past precisely enough for me; I'd have liked to know more.

I liked the plot, it had me turning pages well after I should have gone to bed. The characters were entertaining enough, but I wouldn't say completely memorable as of yet. The 'love' scenes were very steamy and just the way I like 'em... perfect! LOL! If someone puts this under erotica, I wonder what a 'normal' love scene is to them. I will m
Killian
Apr 29, 2015 Killian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Just... No. This book was ridiculous and the characters more so. When someone is stalking you, barging their way into your house in the middle of the night, getting physically threatening with you, as well as verbally threatening, and all within the time frame of having known each other for... Maybe two hours? And you're ATTRACTED to this dick bag?

No, hun. Bye.
Jenny Rebecca
This one took a bit of time to finish, but I really liked it. I got a bit tired of the "her cream" references though. Could Cynthia not have found another word for errr...her cream? But that's the only complaint I really have. Oh! And some unanswered questions she left in her book.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I want to read this but I'm distracted by the cover... I hate cover repeats! One Real Thing.
blueisla23
Oct 12, 2016 blueisla23 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story! It has the paranormal component combined with the mystery of who done it! Great story that I totally recommend you read! Loved the characters, the storyline and the dialog.....
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
This wasn't a bad book but it could've been better. The pace was alright, the mystery ok enough to keep you reading if not a bit predictable. The characters, however, were a different and more complex story. Emily Drake, a supernatural creature -Other, as they are referred in the book- psychologist helps out the police in a murder investigation with abnormal circumstances. She gets called in by a, what I can only call, good old friend, the Captain Danny McNeal to aid detective Colin Gyth in this ...more
Emily
May 14, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
I love Cynthia Eden's paranormal romance novels and for me, this was the one that started it all. I love when I start reading a series at the beginning and the writing and characters only get better with time, and this is a very good example of that. While not the most polished book by this author, the bar is set very high from the getgo, the romance is spicy and sweet at the same time, and the characters are interesting and easy to root for.

One of the common issues that has to be resolved in a
Joletta
Jan 11, 2011 Joletta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Drake is the Monster Doctor, a psychologist who specializes in helping Others (any kind of paranormal). She is unique in that she can see who is Other and normally know what species they are. It's a huge responsibility and a bit scary to see the monsters around you daily wearing human faces. She is called in as an expert witness on a police homicide and meets Det. Colin Gyth. Oooh, baby do sparks fly. She can tell he's a shifter, but not what flavor, so to speak.

Colin is hiding his dual na
Cindy
Nov 22, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
Very good read - a paranormal page turner with an action plot. Romantic suspense/urban fantasy with a serial murderer plot and there are some unexpected twists before the murderer is finally revealed. The heroine Dr. Emily Drake, the so-called Monster Doctor, is drawn into a serial murder case - first to identify the paranormal elements of the case and then as the profiler on the murderer. The hero is Colin, a cop who tries fiercely to deny his werewolf nature and is appalled to find that Emily ...more
Gail
Mar 28, 2008 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs
Emily Drake has seen monsters all her life. Shifters, Demons, Vampires and lots of other creatures that go bump in the night. She’s a shrink with a thriving clientele of Other creatures Vamps that can’t drink blood, shifter’s that can’t shift even a succubus that wants to be thought of as more than a sex symbol. Emily is also has strong empathic talents which she often uses to help her patients.

Colin Gyth is the lead detective in a brutal homicide when his boss tells him to get Emily to take a l
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
2.5 stars.

I don't know what rubbed me wrong in this book. It has all the elements I usually like in romance: an interesting setting with an original interaction between humans and supernatural beings; an Alpha hero in law-enforcement; a smart heroine; no purple prose; a bit of mystery. Still I never found myself really immersed in the story, my mind was hovering and what I usually overlook when I am engrossed in a story slowly became annoying.

I think I didn't like the initial interaction between
The BookChick
Nov 24, 2011 The BookChick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-read
I loved this story. Colin and Emily were likeable characters that were dynamic and interesting.

Emily Drake was a psychic empath who was a psychologist to the Other, supernatural beings including demons, shifters, charmers, etc. Brought in on a case by our hero, Colin Gyth, a detective for the Alanta PD and a shifter, Emily's life takes on a roller coaster pace. She is used as a profiler for a highly public murder where the suspect butchered his victim, thus being dubbed the Night Butcher.

Through
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Aug 23, 2011 Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Yz the Whyz
This review was posted at Under The Covers

This book was a recommendation from November's Pick It For Me Challenge. I ended up reading a different book for the challenge, but this one seemed like a good story and I couldn't be happier right now that I chose to read it.

There was hot, explosive and raw chemistry between the hero & heroine. I liked Emily's character (shrink for the Others, Monster Doctor, LOL) and the fact that, while being human, she can sense/feel SBs (Supernatural Beings). Co
Jacqueline
3-1/2 stars. This was a pretty good shifter romance. The paranormal world was unique but not totally different and out there. The heroine was a human who could see Others and tell which sort they were. In this set up the different types of Other could only recognize their own specific type of Other. The element of mating was of the "she's mine" sort which I personally like. It's not really something I get tired of since it's one of the reasons I read shifter stories in the first place.

I did feel
Jess
Nov 27, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Drake is minding her own business treating patients in her psychiatrist practice when she suddenly has a very tall and dangerous man knocking on her door asking for her help.

Cops need help trying to locate a killer who isn't human. And of course, that's Drake's specialty. She can see what she calls "the others". Non humans. Colin Glyth is a cop who is assigned to stick with Emily and protect her while she is helping out the police department. And he's more than interested in just protectin
marlene
Jul 08, 2009 marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love the idea of a monster doctor. a shrink for the "others" out there. i love it so much i think someone should make an entire series based on the patients and their sessions. this book was a little light on the doctor front but it was great none the less. our doctor acted more as a resident psychic and profiler leading the few police officers aware of the other world to a serial killer. although this was very crime based it didn't fall into a procedural nightmare. there was still some ...more
Carolyn F.
Liked it, not loved it. I've heard this series is good so I'll read the 2nd book and see if I like it better.

Emily's a therapist known as the "monster doctor" because she treats the vampires, shifters, etc. She meets Colin when she's asked to consult on a case and he can't keep away from her.

I hope I like book #2 more. Wait, I did like book #2 more. Oops. I'll order book #3 from the library.
Cindy Smith
Sep 06, 2016 Cindy Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is actually a reread. I love the characters in this story. Emily and Colin had it pretty rough growing up since they are connected to the Others, paranormal beings. Emily is an empathy and Colin is a shifter. Together they are trying to catch a killer. Falling for eachother was just a great side benefit. I enjoyed watching thekirk relationship grow and I loved their steamy bouts of sex. This a great story that I will no doubt read again in the future.
Nonieღserenity2bliss
There is nothing that really stand out about the story or the characters but it is nonetheless interesting. It's a great read for paranormal fans but if you're looking for something different, this is not the book for you; it lacks that Wow!factor.

Just in case anyone is wondering: the love scenes, though there are not many, are pretty hot ;)
  • When He Was Bad (Magnus Pack, #3.5)
  • Alexandra's Legacy (Legacy, #1)
  • Werewolf Rage (Taming the Wolf, #2)
  • Resisting The Alpha (The Crane Curse, #2)
  • Kiss and Tell (Bloodmates, #1)
  • Edge Of Hunger (Primal Instinct, #1)
  • Sweeter Than Wine (Lords of the Were Universe, #6; Brotherhood of Blood, #4)
  • Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1)
  • Claimed by the Wolf (Shadow Guardians, #1)
  • Just a Dream (Carolina Pack, #1)
  • Shadow of the Vampire
  • Tempting the Enemy (Resurrection, #1)
  • Princess of the Damned
  • Wolf at the Door (The Others, #9)
  • Loved by the Alpha (The Shadow Pack Rules, #5)
  • Coercion: Part 3
  • Reclaiming the Wolf (Cascade Shifters, #1)
  • Seeing Eye Mate (Mates, #1)
Award-winning author Cynthia Eden writes dark tales of paranormal romance and romantic suspense. She is a New York Times, USA Today, Digital Book World, and IndieReader best-seller. Cynthia is also a three-time finalist for the prestigious RITA award . Since she began writing full-time in 2005, Cynthia has written over fifty novels and novellas.

Cynthia lives along the Alabama Gulf Coast. She loves
More about Cynthia Eden...

Midnight (3 books)
  • Midnight Sins (Midnight, #2)
  • Midnight's Master (Midnight, #3)