Start by marking “Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America (Technology, Education--Connections) (Technology, Education - Connections (The TEC Series))” as Want to Read:

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology How can we keep children safe in an uncertain world, but also raise them to be confident in taking the healthy, emotional risks necessary to succeed in life? The authors of this unique booktwo clinical psychologists, who are also mothersprovide essential guidance for parents and teachers. They explain, step-by-step, how to help ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Teachers' College Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology

Erino
The authors' vision for education in light of technology was interesting and pragmatic, but research on teachers was lacking and sweeping generalizations were often made. I'd like to read a book about how teachers can be tapped to aid politicians, educational leaders and families in creating this new vision for education.
Sarah Hanawald
I wish I found more in this book that was new, because I really wanted to. I found it to be a more intellectual approach to the topics introduced in Disrupting Class. To that end, the authors write in a much more scholarly (and much less accessible) way.

I'm mostly going to focus in this review on what I liked best. Towards the end, the authors discuss what might be lost when technology permits an education system more like that also described in Disrupting Class. The things they worry might be
Lisa
I'm trying to get this review out in a coherent and logical manner, but my mind is messed up because I just finished reading it.

Okay, so. I wasn't that impressed with this book. One of the major problems with technology books (especially as they pertain to education) is that they're outdated the minute they're published. It's really only a problem if the book insists on being specific on the kinds of technology. This one isn't as egregious as another I read last year, but I cringed quite a bit w
Katie
This book provides a clear overview of how technology is affecting education at the present, and uses historical precedent to predict how it may influence education in the future. It identifies both the potential and the pitfalls of technology for learning, and suggests ways that we might capitalize on the former and avoid the latter. It's an excellent book to contextualize the present state of edtech for newcomers to the field.
Corrie Campbell
Collins & Halverson step back and take broad view of where education has come from before then moving forward and prognosticating on the future of education "in the age of technology." I think they wisely have chapters early on called "The Technology Enthusiasts' Argument" and "The Technology Skeptics' Argument" to sort of level the playing field for biases and assumptions before moving forward and describing the benefits and pitfalls that technology will possibly bring to the field of educa ...more
Sue
I had to read this book as part of my graduate course. It certainly made me think about how and why we should be utilizing technology in our classrooms. The authors new vision for the future of our educational system is interesting to think about.
Laura Pasquini
Not a bad little read. Let about tech and more about the history of education and educational reform movement. Contradictions to how technology can help and the limitations of CMC, but this was also published in 2010 which gets dated as more technology emerges. I would recommend!
Lyddie
The author made a few good points, and tried to be balanced about the good and bad of educational technology, but by the end his ideas for improvements in education did not address practical concerns sufficiently and were unpersuasive.
Wendy
doesn't give a lot of specifics, but it is a nice review of the philosophical history of education in america -- how it's changed over the years and how it will change in the future. some definite food for thought here.
Steve
I respected their even handed approach to laying out both sides and the middle ground. I did not agree with everything, but was surprised at how much I did agree with. I will probably blog on a few key points.
Angela Brewington
The authors propose some radical ideas for the way technology could mold education in the future. It will be interesting to see if they are correct in their predictions or not.
Robin Stansel
This book made me glad that our family is unschooling. It introduced concepts of "just in time" learning, customization, and "scaffolding" to me.
Jill
Very thought provoking - inspired to be in the "Knowledge Revolution" - after seeing how the world changed after the "Industrial Revolution"
Michael
A simple book. Required reading. Nothing to blow me away.
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Jonathan Brier
Jonathan Brier marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Devi
Devi marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Tobye
Tobye is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
be
be marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Shelly
Shelly added it
Apr 10, 2015
Rosely Rodriguez
Rosely Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
rancho.bu
rancho.bu marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Sam  Ng
Sam Ng marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The World Is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education
  • Rewired: Understanding the iGeneration and the Way They Learn
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
  • The Future of Learning Institutions in a Digital Age (The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Reports on Digital Media and Learning)
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Fires in the Mind: What Kids Can Tell Us about Motivation and Mastery
  • 21st Century Skills: Rethinking How Students Learn (Leading Edge)
  • Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns
  • A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change
  • Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • The Global Achievement Gap: Why Our Kids Don't Have the Skills They Need for College, Careers, and Citizenship—and What We Can Do About It
  • Making Learning Whole: How Seven Principles of Teaching Can Transform Education
  • Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms
  • The Flat World and Education: How America's Commitment to Equity Will Determine Our Future
  • Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning With New Media
  • Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action
  • Education Nation: Six Leading Edges of Innovation in Our Schools
The Complete Guide to Functional Training The Complete Guide to Kettlebell Training Waterworld Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America The Complete Guide to Exercise Physiology