Start by marking “Angel: Only Human” as Want to Read:
Angel: Only Human

Angel: Only Human (Angel: After the Fall)

Now that the Fall is over, Illyria and Gunn are trying to get back on the straight and narrow. But having tasted their truly darker sides, is there any way to really come back from trying to end existence? Maybe a road trip will help. But visiting Fred's folks brings up more than just memories as The Scourge makes an appearance, along with an old enemy of Illyria's who's l ...more
Published 2010 by Idea & Design Works

To ask other readers questions about Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel

Sesana
Jan 30, 2012 Sesana rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Set in the aftermath of the After the Fall storyline, Only Human is a miniseries starring Gunn and Illyria. The summary makes rather more of the story than is actual there. If you believe the copy, it's about Gunn and Illyria struggling to return to their former lives after hell, and Illyria coming to terms with the legacy of Fred. Not so much. Neither seem terribly bothered by what came before (the mainline book does a much better job of dealing with Gunn's guilt, and Illyria never seemed that ...more
Matt
Dec 25, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
I'm always skeptical as to whether an ultra-powerful god can team up with a human street-fighter. The imbalance makes it so awkward, but this managed to pull off the unwieldy Superman-Batman team-up.
Although I think I'm just about done with I'm-a-psychopath-but-I'm-trying-to-fit-in-with-normal-people-unless-someone-tries-to-kill-me, but maybe that comes from watching Dexter and reading about OOTS's Belkar.
May 18, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I liked it a lot. Fred/Illyria are one of my favorite characters from Angel. I was glad to read a story about her.
Nan
Jan 12, 2011 Nan rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure if I should read this book or not, as if follows after the Angel: After the Fall storyline, and I never had a chance to read the second half of that story. However, once it arrived in the mail today, I simply couldn't resist and jumped in almost right away.

This is the story of Gunn and Illyria, after everything is over. They're both at crossroads within their lives and trying to find a role for themselves in this new present. Fred's parents call to tell her that there's been a deat
Alan
Mar 07, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
Gunn and Illyria go on a road trip after 1) LA's return from Hell and 2) news that Fred (the human body the demon Illyria inhabits) uncle has died. While Illyria decides to explore what it is to be human (and apparently not caring very much about it) we get added info on both her and Gunn's past. An attempt is made here to give demons actual personalities and understanding of their motivation. While creator Joss Whedon has back away from this series because of recent online controversy over this ...more
Sonatajessica
Aug 18, 2015 Sonatajessica rated it really liked it
For a change, I thoroughly enjoyed one of the Angel comics again. Yes, the fight sequence was a bit too drawn out and I would have liked to see more of an interaction between Illyria and Fred's parents, but that aside "Only Human" has a lot going for it, and I flew through it.
The place Gunn went to made him so interesting, he was never one of my favorites on the TV show but his arc in the comics I find rather fascinating. And Illyria was one of my favorites as soon as she took over, what a shame
Lloyd
Mar 11, 2010 Lloyd rated it liked it
I wasn't expecting this to be quite the standalone story that it was, but it wasn't bad. The writing was more to my liking than the immediately preceding volume, even if it was narrowly focused on Gunn and Illyria. It might not move the overall series along right away, but it does give some more character background and explain how they are coping with their memories of the non-history of events "after the fall."
Caroline
Aug 03, 2010 Caroline rated it it was ok
A spin-off volume following the events of Angel: After the Fall, involving Illyria and Gunn and them dealing with the after-effects of the finale. There were some interesting glimpses into both of their histories, but overall this just fell flat for me. There really wasn't much depth here, and it was disappointing just how much of a standalone this wound up being.
Angela
Mar 24, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, idw
A road trip with Illyria and Gunn, where they happen to come across the Scourge. Some really nice character bits, and it does feel like an Angel episode. You can literally hear the characters speak in your head. A good read. Nice and self contained, just the odd mention about 'After the Fall'.
Jennifer Collins
Dec 20, 2015 Jennifer Collins rated it it was amazing
I loved this volume definitely my favorite one of the Angel series so far. The storyline for Ilyria was amazing and had a great outcome. It was nice seeing her and Gunn together and working as a team.
Brad
Jan 25, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it
Better, much better. It had a nice juxtaposition between uber powerful and merely human, enjoying an exploration of what it means to be both or neither. The art was much better, too. This one was quite enjoyable, but then, I've always loved seeing old ones fight.
Variaciones Enrojo
Oct 13, 2015 Variaciones Enrojo marked it as to-read
Continuación de Tras la caída.
Mary Jo
Sep 24, 2010 Mary Jo rated it it was amazing
This was a really rich story featuring Gunn and Illyria. The visuals are just stunning and the story is solid. Must read for fans of the Angel tv series and these characters.
Arie ☂
2 stars. Disappointing. Illyria arcs are usually my favourite, but nothing really happened here? It was just pretty blah. She's better off teaming up with Spike.
Saint Lart
Nov 23, 2014 Saint Lart rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. Call me a fanboi but I'll take and excuse to go back into the Buffyverse. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with Elder thing blue and Gunn?
Wt Prater
Apr 03, 2014 Wt Prater rated it liked it
Decent
Amyrobyn
Amyrobyn rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Lon Mason
Lon Mason rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Lori Bowman
Lori Bowman rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Geo
Geo rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2012
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2015
Abby Villarreal
Abby Villarreal rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Nak
Nak rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Nimue Tomson
Nimue Tomson rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Noam Zomerfeld
Noam Zomerfeld rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2013
Verity Bracken
Verity Bracken rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2014
William Hayes
William Hayes rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2015
  • Angel, Volume 2: The Crown Prince Syndrome
  • Angel: Last Angel in Hell (Volume 6)
  • Spike: The Devil You Know
  • Illyria: Haunted
  • Angel, Volume 3: The Wolf, the Ram, and the Hart
  • Angel: Aftermath (Volume 5)
  • Angel: The End
  • Angel & Faith: Family Reunion (Angel & Faith, #3)
  • Willow: Wonderland

Angel: After the Fall (9 books)
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 1
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 2: First Night
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 3
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 4
  • Angel: Aftermath (Volume 5)
  • Angel: Last Angel in Hell (Volume 6)
  • Angel, Volume 1: Immortality For Dummies