Start by marking “The House” as Want to Read:
The House

The House

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 7/15/2009 Pages: 64 Reading Level: Age 8 and Up
Published September 1st 2009 by Creative Editions (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House

Rebecca
I liked this book for its incredible detail (Where's Waldo fans might like it); because no one does lighting like Roberto Innocenti (the cover image is the best); and because I love the idea of a house having feelings and preferring to be full of life ("I am a House but I am home to none" is a particularly sad line). J. Patrick Lewis turns a good phrase, as always, and this would be a good book to illustrate seasons changing and generations passing. Yet I'm not sure who the intended audience is. ...more
Shannon
Something drew me to this book over the weekend. While in a little shop looking at cards for my grandmother, I spotted this book in the corner. A children's book...? Please. Picture book, at that! Yet, the longer I stayed and the more cards I found, this book seemed to call, "Hello, there.... Come look! Enter my pages. Join my world." In the end and on the whim of the century, I picked it up and left with it and my cards.

The premise...? A very old house, from the 1600's and a plague year, is lef
Polly
Very beautiful and moving.
Marta Boksenbaum
This is a beautiful book full of intricate illustrations that remind me of medieval/gothic paintings. The reader follows a house through history and sees the lives of those who live there as well. The concise poetry large on white background serve as a contrast against the double-page illustrations full of color and action. As beautiful as the pictures are, they are also accessible to children who enjoy finding treasures in them. Each picture tells many stories.
gillian
Again, get this for the artwork alone (Roberto Innocenti). It's magical. It's the story of a house and the years and years it lives and how it comes to life with the different families that live inside it, and how it's shaped by time and the events of the world. It's just a damn house but this sucker can nearly bring tears. It's a beautiful, beautiful book that you should probably read to a kid, and then just to yourself when they're not around.
Alison Lake
This is a fantastic book to read to children of all ages. The house is the narrator and it tells it's story throughout the decades as it changes. The pictures show the same view of the house and the reader can see how it changes based on what is happening in history at a given time. The kids loved it and I loved it, too!
Christine Turner
A stone-and-mortar house watches a century pass and inhabitants come and go in this illustrated book from 2008 Hans Christian Andersen Award winner Roberto Innocenti.

One on one read-a-loud...The illustrations are very detailed. Best used wioth upper elementary school children or tweens.
Agnes
An interesting portrayal of the life of a house, from 1900 to 1999, with a short introductory verse for each pictorial.
“Each season watched my wilderness abide
The plague-and-ash-heap history of the hill,
Let time and toil temper me until
I feel my ancient stones refortified.”
Marianna
Innocenti's illustrations are amazing. I love the detail and the light. I'm particularly fond of books that show the progression of time and this was one of the best in terms of rich illustration. Lewis's rich poetry just adds to the overall effect.
Kathleen
This book is a work of art. Innocenti's masterful artwork paired with Lewis's poems create a picture book that needs to be savored!

The House reminds us that our homes are more than a roof and four walls, they have a life of their own.
Karen
Absolutely loved the pictures!!! The changes over time to a European home in the country as illustrated by Roberto Innocenti is breath-taking.
Absolutely fabulous illustrations... the verse is definitely not written for children, but perhaps and adult picture book...
Laurie
Review to come for Library Media Connection. Thought it was rather bizarre; not sure who the audience is.
Ginny
Beautiful artwork
Melanie Maree
Melanie Maree marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Ken Martin  Tvedt
Ken Martin Tvedt marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Sh Park
Sh Park marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Carrie Gelson
Carrie Gelson marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
MrsMaryLibrary
MrsMaryLibrary marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Mido Gang
Mido Gang marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Apr 24, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
J. Patrick Lewis is the current Children's Poet Laureate. He has written more than seventy children's books, including Once Upon a Tomb: Gravely Humorous Verses. J. Patrick Lewis lives in Ohio.
More about J. Patrick Lewis...
Please Bury Me in the Library Last Laughs: Animal Epitaphs National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar! Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems