Start by marking “Elric le Nécromancien” as Want to Read:
Elric le Nécromancien

Elric le Nécromancien (The Elric Saga #3)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  7,545 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
... « Elric s'élança en avant en dégainant et l'étrange pouvoir de son épée runique se communiqua à son corps. En un hurlement, l'acier noir décrivit un grand cercle et trancha l'arc d'os que l'eunuque avait levé pour se protéger. Haletant, le garde ouvrit ses lèvres épaisses et Elric put voir, comme il s'y attendait, que l'homme avait la langue coupée. » ...
Published 1981 by Temps Futurs (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Elric le Nécromancien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elric le Nécromancien

Bill  Kerwin
May 18, 2007 Bill Kerwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 20th-c-brit

This third volume of the series—according to the Elric chronology—includes the two Elric stories Moorcock wrote first, the novellas “The Dreaming City” and “While the Gods Laugh (each published in a separate issue of Science Fantasy in 1961). In the first, Elric, rightful emperor of Melnibone, leads a fleet against its capital city Immrryr in exact revenge and rescue his princess consort, but his sword Stormbringer literally has a mind of its own, bringing about disastrous consequences. In the s
Algernon
Jun 17, 2015 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

Before getting reacquainted with the ongoing saga of Elric, the albino sorcerer king that spent the previous volume as a vagabond mercenary, self-exiled from his own people and from the throne he inherited, Moorcock offers us a glimpse at the cosmology underlying his imaginary universe in The Dream of Earl Aubec. Within the standard sword & sorcery structure of the adventure (the champion swordsman of a fantasy realm goes on a quest to conquer a last bastion for his queen), the author debat
Jack
Jan 30, 2017 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good entry in the series, with Elric at his moody and glum best, determinedly going through every eerie magical door and portal he finds, to arrive at the usual trippy building made of some strange rainbow crystal or distorting interdimensional masonry. Another day in the multiverse.
J.G. Keely
In my last two reviews, I have talked about how Moorcock's fevered imagination keeps these books aloft, even when the plot seems to grow disconnected from the series, or the characters grow repetitive, but he seems to be losing steam, for this book moves along apace, advancing the plot here and there, but not materially adding anything new to our understanding of the world or the characters.

Moorcock's shorter plot arcs lack the grand set pieces and focus which make Leiber's and Howard's works so
Red Haircrow
Jul 04, 2010 Red Haircrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Moorcock has created many characters who are an aspect of the Eternal Champion, who battles sometimes on the side of Law and sometimes on the side of Chaos, depending on his incarnation. In the incarnation of Elric of Melnibone, a man weak in body except when augmented by the stolen souls provided through the medium of the perilous sword Stormbringer, he is powerful in intellect, passion and magic.

Yet more than that, he is a man who is the very embodiment of the hard choices which Fate
Evgeny
Jul 17, 2013 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The third book of Elric saga: the boneheaded decision Elric made in the end of the first book came back to him bearing fruits. Now the only way to correct his own stupidity is to sacrifice his own people and to live with this memory for the rest of his life. The book is notable for the fact that Elric acquires a sidekick in it.

This is a typical Elric book: larger than life magic, meddling gods who never show up when they are really needed, an anti-hero, struggle of Chaos and Law on grand scale
Kevin
Dec 24, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent entry in the saga, finds Elric at his darkest hour and the prologue offers hints toward more darkness still to come. Book one Elric at his most Melnibonean and his greatest despair so far. Book two his hopes are dashed again and book three a return to form as he defeats a great enemy and is once again thwarted in vengence.
sologdin
More pulpy sword & sorcery, episodic, fast-paced to the point of parody.

Includes what is now the obligatory cryptic prologue. Prologue here has the virtue of self-riducule, wherein the hero is not Elric, but his ancestor Aubec, from whom he had the sword in volume I, prior to achieving the nuclear-sword with which he is more famously associated. Aubec has gone to the edge of the world to incorporate the last castle into the empire, but is tricked by its occupant to win not merely the castle,
Chris
This is an old favorite, and it hasn't lost any of its charm. The three novellas here are "The Dreaming City", "While the Gods Laugh", and "The Singing Citadel".

All enjoyable, but "The Dreaming City" stands out, way out. This was where Elric first appeared in 1961, and everything else came from that. This story alone rates 5-stars. It has all of the tragic punch of the Elric saga and the story flow is fantastic.

The other two stories are very good too, coming in a 4-stars each. They tell of some
Jos
Mar 07, 2016 Jos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So far I'm able to read one Elric volume per day. Eat this, George R.R. Martin. With the third volume, all my worries that Elric might turn into a boring white knight are blown away. On the contrary, he's more bad-ass than ever, annihilating his own civilization, earning the title womankiller and becoming the most notorious villain of the multiverse. Way to go!

Again, friends come and go, usually by death caused by our hero. Women are consummated, Elric moves on. Mysterious places, other planes,
Benjamin
Dec 06, 2015 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have a sweet-tooth for Fantasy, and Elric is like pudding. It goes down smooth, and I always have a taste for more. It may not be as well crafted as the decadent chocolate cakes of high fantasy, but then again it doesn't leave me in a sugar crash with rasberry sauce all over my shirt.
Tipper
May 28, 2015 Tipper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Seems I had already read this as part of Elric of Melniboné (Tale of the Eternal Champion #8).. Oh well
Elihú
Apr 12, 2017 Elihú rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moorcock viene bien cuando uno busca desconectar de lecturas más densas. No hay que pedirle más a las historias del albino, son aventuras, magia y espadazos a todo lo que da y muy entretenidas.

Creo que este tercer volumen en las peripecias del Lobo Blanco ha sido el que más me ha gustado. Abre con un espectacular prólogo que nos revela mucho sobre las fuerzas del Caos y sobre todo la creación de Melniboné.

La primer historia, La Ciudad de Ensueño, enlaza con el -estúpido- final del primer libro,
Giota Bourha
Mar 22, 2017 Giota Bourha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Algernon has written an excellent review of The Weird of the White Wolf. I have little to add to that.

My favorite stories was that of "The Dream of Earl Aubec" and "While the Gods Laugh".

In this volume Elric becomes moodier, more arrogant, desperate, and he is plagued by guilt. He is moved by wild emotions to irredeemable deeds. He regrets his actions but he is unwilling to let go of the cause of his misery; the one thing that destroys him while giving him power. The perfect anti-hero Elric
Robert Beveridge
Jan 23, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Michael Moorcock, The Weird of the White Wolf (DAW, 1977)

The third book in the Elric series introduces the reader to Moonglum, Elric's longtime companion (and, thanks to AD&D's Deities and Demigods book, the companion most readers can't imagine him without). Much of the second novel moved away from the events of the first, and concentrated Elric's character on other adventures. The Weird of the White Wolf brings Elric back to Melnibonë along with Moonglum, their friend Smiorgan Baldhead, and
Carl V.
Jun 30, 2013 Carl V. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Moorcock ramps things up with this third volume of Elric tales. This story includes a prologue that introduces two very interesting characters before moving on to Elric, who is returning after his year of adventure to exact his revenge on the man who tried to kill him and usurp his throne. The relationship between Elric and his sword, Stormbringer, builds during this novel. I'm finding these compelling reads. A more detailed review can be found here:

Negar Bolboli
Jul 27, 2016 Negar Bolboli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy, novel
Elric is no longer the same man who left Melnibone with mind to learn of the ways of men. his doom drove him to many unknown lands, to worlds beyond his own and left him ever more tormented and no closer to discovering the purpose of his existance. He is met with sorrow and knowledge does not rid him of it. He can only accept that he is no more than a pawn, a device for the gods to carry out their cosmic plans whose rules remain unclear to humankind. Although he is bitter, his character is not w ...more
Chilly SavageMelon
I love these Elric books, the best stuff Moorcock did. It's genre pulp so don't look for high-mindedness. But a classic anti-hero, whoopin ass with sword and sorcery. I first found these around 13 and they still hold up...at least for my inner 13 year old.
Patrick
Nov 19, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-series
Review coming eventually
Zach
Sep 04, 2009 Zach rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm starting to think that maybe I should have left these books in the nostalgia-tinted corner of my mind in which they had resided since I was 10 or so.
Jorge
Aug 24, 2013 Jorge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Este comentario abarca tres libros que leí en una compilación en francés, Elric le nécromancien, y que en inglés abarca al menos los libros The Weird of the White Wolf, The Bane of the Black Sword y Stormbringer. Así, este comentario se repite en los citados libros)

¿Qué se puede decir de la saga de Elric que no se haya dicho ya? La llaman “fantasía épica oscura”, es una gran tragedia, una cosmogonía que narra hechos ocurridos, supuestamente, mucho antes de los registros geológicos de la Tierra.
Petros
Nov 17, 2011 Petros rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notice: I have made a review for every book of this series and they need to be read in order since they are supposed to feel like an on-going impression. So if you read the second without reading the first will feel rather off.

I am mostly focusing on the style of storytelling and a lot less on if it reads well or something sophisticated like that. For the same reason I tend to have lots of SPOILERS which means that if you read this text you will know THE OVERALL PLOT and how much I DIDN’T like
Brady
Dec 21, 2012 Brady rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, da-pulps
Michael Moorcock's favorite word in this book is "ironically." He said ironically, he did ironically. It's a full cast of hipsters here.

The third book in the Elric series goes more into Elric's personality, with mixed results. You can really see Moorcock struggling to get a character arc going here, but that's the problem: you can see it. That sort of thing should only be noticeable when you finish the book and sit down to do a review. Elric is not intrinsically an interesting character anymore
Martti
Mar 21, 2015 Martti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Good

The story is short and moves fast. The author want's to gallop ahead with the story even before he has the chance to finish the last scene. I tried reading Elric about 10 years ago. I remember that speeding really annoyed me, but interestingly enough it doesn't anymore. So now I could actually finish the book and be taken to a fantastic flight into the battlefield of Order and Chaos.

The Bad

I'm not really a big fan of pulp-action sword&sourcery, because it's a thin fabric with no intr
Carmine
Arrivato oramai al terzo volume scritto da Moorcock, penso che possa dare un personale giudizio sull'autore e l'opera.
Moorcock è anarchico, vive di piccole intuizioni ingegnose che rendono affascinante l'opera, ma si percepisce al contempo una scarsa precisione del worldbuilding e dell'intreccio narrativo.
Il punto di forza è la solita prosa asciutta e contenuta, ma incredibilmente appagante quando si sofferma su certi passaggi che richiedono atmosfere sognanti e alienate.
Moorcock nasce e muore
Gorana
Oh, Elric. Do thou not knoweth? One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

And congratulations Mr. Moorcock. You managed to reduce Elric to whiny, spineless, predictable, pathetic wimp (and no, putting your tongue into every single female that says 'Hi' does not change that).

So many good ideas, all gone to waste.
Wanda
This is classic sword-and-sorcery stuff. I appreciate the genre, even if it isn't my favourite. The first 2 books were better IMO. This one kind of lurched along from one plot point to another.
Dave Peticolas

More Elric.

Scott
May 30, 2017 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book is a great example of this series strengths and weaknesses. Moorcock's skill at imagery, in describing fantastic, alien and bizarre settings is the best thing about this book. However, his weaknesses in character depth and motivation, and plot cohesion are very evident.
Jackvanc3gmail.Com
As good as you are ever going to read in fighting fantasy.

Enjoy and watch out for some misprint editions where the pages restart to 0 at 114

The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)
by Michael Moorcock
U 50x66
Jackvanc3gmail.Com's review
Sep 11, 2016 · edit

Read in January, 1988

ever meet your clone from another of the universes in the multiverse? and have to join forces to defeat evil on a galactic scale?
strap yourself in
beware voilodion ghagnasdiak!

Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1)
by Mic
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 12 Oct 21, 2015 09:27AM
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4)
  • Darkness Weaves
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2)
  • Tales From the Vulgar Unicorn (Thieves' World, #2)
  • The Eyes of the Overworld (The Dying Earth, #2)
  • Elak of Atlantis
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

The Elric Saga (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Elric of Melniboné and Other Stories (Elric Chronological Order, #1)
  • Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1)
  • The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)
  • The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4)
  • The Bane of the Black Sword (The Elric Saga, #5)
  • Stormbringer (Elric, #6)
  • Elric at the End of Time (The Elric Saga #7)
  • The Fortress of the Pearl (Elric #8)
  • The Revenge of the Rose (Elric, #9)
  • The Dreamthief's Daughter

“I can accept then, that we are more than forsaken, because there was never anything there to forsake us.” 0 likes
“he cursed the malevolent Gods for the black day when idly, for their amusement, they had spawned men.” 0 likes