The Rag Nymph

The Rag Nymph

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  580 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Set in the northern countryside of Victorian-era England, this spellbinding novel of good and evil, wealth and want, and the profound power of love is another major achievement in the career of one of the world's most widely read and beloved authors.
Published November 1st 1993 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Rag Nymph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rag Nymph

Dwelling Place by Catherine CooksonThe Fifteen Streets by Catherine CooksonFeathers In The Fire by Catherine CooksonTilly Trotter by Catherine CooksonThe Cinder Path by Catherine Cookson
Favourite Catherine Cookson Book?
12th out of 29 books — 7 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenPersuasion by Jane AustenEmma by Jane AustenNorth and South by Elizabeth GaskellJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
period-romance
18th out of 19 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

May 08, 2013 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: high school and up
Shelves: 2013
Catherine Cookson doesn't shy away from the good, bad, or ugly; especially in this novel. The plot is based on a girl who barely escapes the life of a child sex slave where pimps are powerful and untouchable in a poor, industrial English community. In this dark world, those who succeed at guarding the innocent shine, but most are either beaten or exhausted by the fight. Most choose to ignore the atrocities happening under their noses while putting on pious appearances.

I was riveted to this story...more
Lynne weir
I came across this through the series thats played on the channel 'Yesterday' and was determained to read the book. I had it read in a few days and have enjoyed it greatly. Its a book based not on the grand side of society but of that class which is little talked about, the class that lived in the dirty shifty parts of society. This was interesting to read on as most of the historic books I have read are based on the fancy side of society. The ending was one I loved and I'm glad I read it and pl...more
Whitney Oaks
Pretty good read. Took me awhile to get used to the dialect of the characters. Hard to read such improper language. lol. I really loved the characters and how simple the plot was.

Raggie Aggie takes in an abandoned Millie Forester after her mother leaves her on the street while running from the law. Millie is a beautiful and already well-learned child and Aggie knows that no good can come from her being left to her own vices, so she becomes her guardian until the mother is released from jail. B...more
Barbra
This book was very good - one of her best. It was made into a TV series as well.

Back Cover Blurb:
Aggie Winkowski has endured the Industrial Revolution that brought with it the factories and slums, and turned her talents into a thriving business, trading rags and old clothes. Then, in the summer of 1854, seventeen year old Millie exploded into her life and gave it a new meaning.
Katie Q
What a nice story. The only real annoyance is how the characters do a lot of repeating of phrases. It gets rather annoying, almost like a filler with the book. Maybe it reflects the time period the book was written?
Cleo
The Rag Nymph is a historical novel set in the 1840s and 50s in England. Millie is the daughter of two shady people: her mother was forced to turn to prostitution, and her father murdered somebody (he claims in her mother's defense, which is revealed to be a falsehood.) She is adopted by Aggie, the rag woman and grows up with her and Ben, a friend of Aggie's. This is her story. Millie loves Aggie a lot, but unfortunately for her, Millie is very pretty. Too pretty. And a lot of people are interes...more
Mar 16, 2014 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wanda
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
A TV series Rag Nymph (1997) was made based on this masterpiece written by Catherine Cookson.

This movie is available at YouTube.

Thanks Bettie to find this little gem.

4* Feathers in the Fire
TR The Fifteen Streets
TR The Maltese Angel
TR The Wingless Bird
Annie
I enjoyed The Rag Nymph even though it had some disturbing bits. I liked the main character, the rag nymph, Millie, but I didn't love her she was too perfect in every way. She was beautiful, smart, ladylike, pure and very moral. I did love her hero Ben, he wasn't perfect in every single way. Physically he was flawed, plus he had a bit of a temper and a jealous streak but he was loyal and intelligent and believed in improving himself through education, plus a sarcastic sense of humor. Ben is prob...more
Carolyn  C.
Nov 07, 2010 Carolyn C. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older teen on up
This historical novel is set in the slums of Northern England around 1854. In all honesty, I wasn't crazy about the author however this quick read carries with it a great message of unconditional love and being able to look beyond a person's outward appearance and circumstances.

Trying to survive as a young girl, adolescent or women at that time without being from a family of "means" was as tragic as it was frightening. Sorry...but I'll stick with the challenges of living in America 2010 thank yo...more
Valerie
Another good book from Cookson. The characters don't exactly speak well but once you get into the dialect, speaking out loud helps, you get the feel for the characters. I had hoped she ended up with who she did in the end, the added villain and bad father was a good move for the book. This one seems to have the worst villain of any of the ones I've read of hers. I think the thing I don't like about her books that keeps me from giving her a 4th star is the all too happily ever after endings.
Melissa Martin
This was a good story and I thought it was worth 3.5 stars. It was interesting to have so much more details of the 'actual state' of affairs of the time, during the height of the industrial progress and the failings it brought with it.

The characters were very believable and had just the right amount of depth and detail without going overboard.

A worthy read.
Maudie
This is a "Husband Read-Aloud" book. As of late, he has become enchanted with Catherine Cookson film currently on tap at Netflix and asked me to choose one of her works and read it to him so he could hear her writing style...which I have done.

Next week, he will have settled on a new interest. Wonder what Netflix has in its vaults for July??
Sue
The story of Millie, a child whose mother has been forced into prostitution. When her mother gets arrested, Millie ends up with Aggie, a large rag trader. The book is about their changing lives over the years.

Rather too much gritty realism for my tastes, and not terribly exciting, but well-written and quite readable.
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Naomi Wood
Love this story - This is my first CC novel i've read. I was put off as i always though CC books were for the older generation however i really enjoyed this story and was so pleasently surprise. Will surely be reading this one again as its such a great story with lovable characters and a sweet love story.
Susan
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Emma
Aug 21, 2008 Emma rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dreamy girls
I discovered Catherine Cookson rummaging through my Grandma's bookshelves when I was 11. It's no secret that these are somewhat maudlin and romantic books, but they have a heart underneath which accounts for their popularity. This was my favourite and is fairly representative.
Karleene Morrow
What a fun story, not only well plotted and well told, but Cookson is just excellent at giving us characters that are real and full of life, ones we can root for, hate or love. Totally enjoyed this one, even if the ending was a bit predictable. Recommend.
Mookimook
Late comer to Catherine Cookson now a hardcore fan her works hold you into this word movie she was an awesome arthur and if you are looking for mystery, along with romance hint of sadness then read on you too will become an avid fan
Ann Laskowski
It was good. Hard to understand the way they talk though.
Natasha
Jun 28, 2010 Natasha added it
Recommends it for: everey one
Recommended to Natasha by: catherine cookson
Jo
One of her best, Cookson's usual themes of poverty, hardship and a wee heroine who is treated terribly and somehow overcomes.
Juanita
Ending a bit predictable, but not until nearly the end.
Beverly Rodowski
I really enjoyed this book. An easy read.
Jackie Simons
Read 11/95
  • Le Troisième Mensonge
  • The Journey
  • Gardens of Delight
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • Merlin's Keep
  • The Running Vixen (Wild Hunt Trilogy, #2)
  • Pascali's Island
  • Chocolate Girls
  • Search of the Moon King's Daughter
  • The Slightest Provocation
  • A Promise of Love (Zebra Lovegram)
  • My Only Love
  • Crescent City
  • Fugitive Nights
  • Love Lives
  • The Lady and the Locksmith
  • You Only Love Twice
  • Take No Farewell
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, whom she believed to be her older sister. She began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master. Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby Award for...more
More about Catherine Cookson...
Dwelling Place Tilly Trotter The Mallen Streak The Glass Virgin The Black Velvet Gown