Start by marking “The Love Child” as Want to Read:
The Love Child

The Love Child

Unable to obtain a divorce from his alcoholic wife, Nathaniel Martell and his mistress defy convention and live together openly. They manage not only to feed, clothe, and educate their six children but to create a warm family life. However, the hatred of the nearby village cannot be ignored as children grow into young adults. Anna, the oldest daughter, suffers most after s ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 512 pages
Published December 1st 1992 by Thorndike Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Child

Patty
Aug 02, 2008 Patty rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Set in the 1880's in England, this is the story of parents that paid dearly for a love that defied the convention of the day. Follow Anna, the oldest, along with the other 4 children as they are scorned and shunned by the villagers for the sins of their parents. But alas, two men find the lovely Anna and she has a choice to make. Follow her mother's path or no? Two very different men complicate her already difficult life. There are trials and heartache in this story that even the strongest of us ...more
Carrie
Aug 21, 2009 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Is it Shakespeare, no. But I think about these characters all the time. I want people to make a period drama out of this book!
Margaret Boehm
May 12, 2010 Margaret Boehm rated it it was amazing
Excellent written story. They think they know themselves, they don't. They don't realize that as victims themselves, they have build a wall they can't crawl away from.
Lili
May 18, 2012 Lili rated it liked it
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Kay
Dec 30, 2008 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction--another genre I've neglected--
It seems I've tried to hit all the gaps in my reading--
Now it seems I need poetry.

The book is set in 19th century England. This book could be the Scarlet Letter set from the illegitimate child's point of view.

Sue
May 02, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
I think Catherine Cookson wrote her books in the 50's, so it is a bit of a throwback. Set in England in the 1860's. Good plot and interesting characters. I enjoyed it!
Stephany
Jul 06, 2011 Stephany rated it really liked it
very interesting book
Doris Ennis
Like finding out about how it used to be in England when there were levels of society. Also admire Cookson as one who climbed out of such a situation.
Mary
Oct 14, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
late 19th century England family outcast because their parents never married
Martha
Jul 02, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it
6 children base born must suffer because their parents could not marry so chose to live as though they could. interesting look at life in late 1880s in small village in England
Diane Wachter
The Love Child, Catherine Cookson, RDC-M #4-92, 11/92. A family of illegitimate children shunned by the villagers, struggle to overcome their hardships. (Not her best!) Okay.
Dee
Mar 06, 2011 Dee rated it liked it
My sister recommended this book as one she couldn't put down.

I wasn't so sure; but when I started reading it, the same thing happened. I couldn't put it down.
Cws
Aug 20, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Coo
Cws
LP Coo
Melanie Hungerford
Melanie Hungerford rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
Lily Jordan
Lily Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Beverly Glover
Beverly Glover rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Adda Leah
Adda Leah rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
Tina Hartwell
Tina Hartwell rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Jessie Stryjski
Jessie Stryjski rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2011
Lesa Loves Books
Lesa Loves Books rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Joan Gibson
Joan Gibson rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2009
Maria Faith
Maria Faith rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Linda Morey
Linda Morey rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Philip (sarah) Willis
Philip (sarah) Willis rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Becky Lyons
Becky Lyons rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Great Alone
  • The Naked Heart
  • The Moon and the Stars
  • She Shall Be Praised (Women of Hope #3)
  • England's Mistress: The Infamous Life of Emma Hamilton
  • Tallchief
  • A Woman of Cairo
  • Deadly Engagement (Alec Halsey Mystery, #1)
  • Savannah Spectres and Other Strange Tales
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Texas Rose (Too Hard to Handle, #2)
  • Queen of Diamonds (House of Cards #3)
  • Only Son
  • Miss Mischief
  • Isabella
  • Somebody To Love
  • A Summer Idyll (The Best of Betty Neels)
  • Blood Brothers
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...