Start by marking “Gray Baby” as Want to Read:
Gray Baby

Gray Baby

At six, Clifton watched as two white police officers beat his black father to death. The official report called it an accident. But Clifton and his mother, who was also there, know the truth.

Ten years later Clifton's life has been shaped by that horrible event. He's a social outcast, his mother has sunk deep into alcoholism, and the only connection has with a living thing
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Gray Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gray Baby

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

About ten years ago, Clifton Carlson watched as his father was beaten to death by a police officer. The attack was provoked by the fact that Clifton's black father was driving in a car with his white wife. Today's label for the situation would be DWB - driving while black.

Now in high school, Clifton doesn't think of himself as black or white. He is simply surviving, most of the time on his own since his mother has been lost in depre
Suzanne
Jan 25, 2010 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kerrie
Jun 11, 2012 Kerrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another book by an author from our area. He also wrote The Hanging Woods. The setting is Radford, but it's called Crockett's Mill. It's fun to read it and figure out what places the author is referring to. For example, there's the steel works (the foundry?), and the rehab clinic across the New River (St. Albans?). The story itself is very good. The main character, Clifton, is a black teen growing up in the 1980s. It's a quick read from the young adult section of the library. I keep find ...more
Heather
Aug 11, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is another one of those books that makes me realize how good my childhood was and that I should never take it for granted. Clifton, our protagonist in "Gray Baby" witnessed his father's brutal murder at the age of eight, and now his mother is loving but addicted to alcohol. On top of that, he has to deal with the ridicule--and occasionally fear--that comes with being biracial in rural Virginia during the 1980s. I really fell in love with Clifton as well as the other main character, Swamper, ...more
Jaime
Jul 31, 2009 Jaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome book. I loved his first book "The Hanging Woods" and I enjoyed this one just as much. Having it take place in Southwest, VA was even cooler... I recognized so many places(even ones I go to today!). If you read the first book you will pick up on a reference to one of it's characters which was pretty interesting. I totally recommend this book...he is an awesome author and I look forward to hearing more from him.
 Imani ♥ ☮
What a boring book. I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't force myself to finish this book. All I know is that in the cover jacket they said the boy was 6 when his father dies but in the book they act like he's either 4 0r 8. Could the author make up his mind? I guess it doesn't really matter because the beginning when the boy's dad dies is the best and then the rest of the book is just blah blah blah...
Heidi
Feb 04, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Clifton saw his African-American father beaten to death by two white policeman in their small Virginia town when he was a child. Now in high school, he longs for friendship and finds an old man to fit his need. The topic of racism flows throughout the book. Language, alcohol consumption by a minor, and violence may be upsetting to some readers. The cover art distracts from the story; it will take booktalking to put this book in teen hands. An enjoyable story.
Clifford
Feb 19, 2010 Clifford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Although this is technically a Young Adult novel, I think anyone will enjoy it. The book is suspenseful, with an attractive setting and credible, vulnerable characters. Check out my full review at Perpetual Folly.
Maelee
Dec 29, 2009 Maelee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book about a highschool aged boy who is bi-racial and saw his dad murdered by the police. His mom is severely depressed and the young man befriends an old fisherman in the community. Despite the very serious issues covered in the book, it still manages to be an enlightening story- full of life's sweet surprises.
Sonya Watkins
Jan 11, 2011 Sonya Watkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VA author- bought book on recommendation of my fav roanoke book store owner. good book
Karl
Sep 22, 2010 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling read with great characters and some surprising twists.
Romello Mcgee
i think its a amazing book that im reading about in my 5th period reading class.
Miki Curtis
Sep 30, 2009 Miki Curtis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Excellent book. Young boy who has mixed parents was called a gray baby, watched his father murdered by police. His adventures in search for meaning in his life are quite interesting.
Maicie
May 19, 2010 Maicie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teen Fiction
Sweet story with values and morals.
Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2010
Gabbi Lee
Gabbi Lee rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2013
Jen Cole
Jen Cole rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2017
Melinda Belfi
Melinda Belfi rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2009
emily
emily rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2010
Patricia Robinson
Patricia Robinson rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Marcel
Marcel rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Lyn Mccullen
Lyn Mccullen rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Mary Beth
Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2009
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
CathieSue Andersen
CathieSue Andersen rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2010
Ms. Poole
Ms. Poole rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Shannon Grieshaber
Shannon Grieshaber rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2011
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2011
fantastic 1 7 Jul 08, 2009 10:25AM
Scott Loring Sanders was born April 20th, 1970 in Atlanta, Georgia but was raised in New Jersey. Since 1990, he has lived in various towns of the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains, including Blacksburg, Floyd, and Christiansburg.

His first novel, The Hanging Woods, was published by Houghton Mifflin in March, 2008 and is set in rural Alabama. The novel “recalls Greek tragedy even as it suggests a cursed
More about Scott Loring Sanders...