Start by marking “Gray Baby” as Want to Read:
Gray Baby

Gray Baby

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  14 reviews
At six, Clifton watched as two white police officers beat his black father to death. The official report called it an accident. But Clifton and his mother, who was also there, know the truth.

Ten years later Clifton's life has been shaped by that horrible event. He's a social outcast, his mother has sunk deep into alcoholism, and the only connection has with a living thing
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Gray Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gray Baby

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

About ten years ago, Clifton Carlson watched as his father was beaten to death by a police officer. The attack was provoked by the fact that Clifton's black father was driving in a car with his white wife. Today's label for the situation would be DWB - driving while black.

Now in high school, Clifton doesn't think of himself as black or white. He is simply surviving, most of the time on his own since his mother has been lost in depre
Suzanne
Kerrie
This was another book by an author from our area. He also wrote The Hanging Woods. The setting is Radford, but it's called Crockett's Mill. It's fun to read it and figure out what places the author is referring to. For example, there's the steel works (the foundry?), and the rehab clinic across the New River (St. Albans?). The story itself is very good. The main character, Clifton, is a black teen growing up in the 1980s. It's a quick read from the young adult section of the library. I keep find ...more
Heather
This is another one of those books that makes me realize how good my childhood was and that I should never take it for granted. Clifton, our protagonist in "Gray Baby" witnessed his father's brutal murder at the age of eight, and now his mother is loving but addicted to alcohol. On top of that, he has to deal with the ridicule--and occasionally fear--that comes with being biracial in rural Virginia during the 1980s. I really fell in love with Clifton as well as the other main character, Swamper, ...more
Romello Mcgee
i think its a amazing book that im reading about in my 5th period reading class.
Heidi
Clifton saw his African-American father beaten to death by two white policeman in their small Virginia town when he was a child. Now in high school, he longs for friendship and finds an old man to fit his need. The topic of racism flows throughout the book. Language, alcohol consumption by a minor, and violence may be upsetting to some readers. The cover art distracts from the story; it will take booktalking to put this book in teen hands. An enjoyable story.
Jaime
This was an awesome book. I loved his first book "The Hanging Woods" and I enjoyed this one just as much. Having it take place in Southwest, VA was even cooler... I recognized so many places(even ones I go to today!). If you read the first book you will pick up on a reference to one of it's characters which was pretty interesting. I totally recommend this book...he is an awesome author and I look forward to hearing more from him.
 Imani ♥ ☮
What a boring book. I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't force myself to finish this book. All I know is that in the cover jacket they said the boy was 6 when his father dies but in the book they act like he's either 4 0r 8. Could the author make up his mind? I guess it doesn't really matter because the beginning when the boy's dad dies is the best and then the rest of the book is just blah blah blah...
Maelee
Book about a highschool aged boy who is bi-racial and saw his dad murdered by the police. His mom is severely depressed and the young man befriends an old fisherman in the community. Despite the very serious issues covered in the book, it still manages to be an enlightening story- full of life's sweet surprises.
Clifford
Although this is technically a Young Adult novel, I think anyone will enjoy it. The book is suspenseful, with an attractive setting and credible, vulnerable characters. Check out my full review at Perpetual Folly.
Miki Curtis
Excellent book. Young boy who has mixed parents was called a gray baby, watched his father murdered by police. His adventures in search for meaning in his life are quite interesting.
Sonya Watkins
VA author- bought book on recommendation of my fav roanoke book store owner. good book
Karl
Compelling read with great characters and some surprising twists.
Maicie
Teen Fiction
Sweet story with values and morals.
Tori
Tori added it
May 09, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Madison Salem
Madison Salem marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Jounay
Jounay marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
fantastic 1 7 Jul 08, 2009 10:25AM
Scott Loring Sanders was born April 20th, 1970 in Atlanta, Georgia but was raised in New Jersey. Since 1990, he has lived in various towns of the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains, including Blacksburg, Floyd, and Christiansburg.

His first novel, The Hanging Woods, was published by Houghton Mifflin in March, 2008 and is set in rural Alabama. The novel “recalls Greek tragedy even as it suggests a cursed
More about Scott Loring Sanders...
The Hanging Woods All Due Respect Issue 6 Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, May 2011 (Vol. 137 No. 5) THUGLIT Issue Fourteen THUGLIT Issue 16