Start by marking “Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage, #3)” as Want to Read:
Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage, #3)

Magic's Price (Valdemar: The Last Herald-Mage #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  13,975 ratings  ·  184 reviews
The final chapter in Mercedes Lackey's spellbinding fantasy trilogy! The Herald-Mage, Vanyel, and his Companion, Yfandes, are alone responsible for saving the once-peaceful kingdom of Valdemar from the forces of a master who wields a dark, forbidding magic. And if either Vanyel or Yfandes falters, both Valdemar and its Herald-Mage must pay the ultimate price. Original.
Published (first published July 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Magic's Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic's Price

The Secret of Excalibur by Sahara FoleyGraceling by Kristin CashorePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderCinder by Marissa MeyerWild Magic by Tamora Pierce
Mind Magic
84th out of 111 books — 40 voters
The Ruins of Gorlan by John FlanaganGrave Mercy by Robin LaFeversThe Burning Bridge by John FlanaganFire by Kristin CashoreFire by Kristin Cashore
Bows, Arrows, Spears
71st out of 86 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Contrarius
Parts of these books I really like -- and then other parts make me want to either throw the book across the room, or smack Mercedes upside the head a few times.

Lackey is pretty darned good at manipulating emotions when she sets her mind to it. I'm just as susceptible to melodrama as the next person, and probably more susceptible than many -- and Lackey's books don't lack for that. On the other hand, Lackey often doesn't seem terribly concerned with logic. For instance, an especially egregious (a
Kathleen
Vanyel gets a new boyfriend. Sure, there's a lot of other stuff about ruling a kingdom steward-style for the ailing king and loads of heroic feats including surviving torture, defeating an entire army with several powerful mages, and dying a bloody death. But mostly, Vanyel gets an awesome new boyfriend. It turns out that this new fellow is the reincarnation of the old fellow, but I choose to not care about the implications of that. Because Stefen is not a Herald. He doesn't get a magic pony who ...more
Experiment BL626
The books are well written, I'm not debating that. What I am hating is the main character, Vanyel. I usually tolerate goody two-shoes to a great extend, but this character just want to make me barf. Pretty much he sacrifices everything in order to save his kingdom, a kingdom that doesn't even like him for who he is and only care for his supermagic.

Frankly the ending suck, so if anyone is expecting a HEA or HFN, this series is not for you—it's a tear-jerker. It's one thing to give up your life f
Kathryn
Last one! It's a toss up whether this one or the first is my favorite, it's so hard to pick. Anyway, here we go:

Price is set about eight years after the end of Promise. Vanyel is no longer on the front lines of the war; he's been put in a more or less administrative position in Haven. That doesn't necessarily mean he's not working as hard. The king, Randale, who has been suffering from a chronic illness for years, suddenly becomes fatally ill, and the Healers don't even know what is causing his
Aphie
Cheesy, tawdry, melodramatic with a hero who supposedly resembles a cross between Fabio, an elf and Gaston from the Disney Beauty & The Beast. I LURVED these so hard when I was a teenager, you better believe it.

There's still a little voice inside, today, who says "But... butbutbut...gay protagonist! Romantic storylines and heroism and GAY(yay)!"
Catherine Thompson
The final book of The Last Herald-Mage trilogy finds Vanyel quite literally the last Herald-Mage. Most of the other Herald-Mages have been killed in battle, and no child has manifested the Mage Gift in years. As Van probes more deeply into the problem, he discovers that someone is targeting anyone with the Mage Gift--someone who is determined to bring Valdemar, already on the brink of losing its king, into utter chaos.

In this book, we come full circle, as Vanyel finds love again and learns to tr
Sophie
Vaaanyeeeeeel.

This last book in Vanyel's trilogy finally brings us his lifemate, Bard Stefen, who is wonderful. He's supposedly the reincarnation of Tylendel, but who cares, he's awesome all on his own.

And the story comes full circle, as Vanyel goes through something very like the situation that was Tylendel's undoing in the first book. It's painful to read, especially since you know what's coming, but Vanyel manages to avoid going down the same revenge-driven path as Tylendel—interestingly enou
Jimmy
The Last Herald-Mage trilogy concludes in this exciting and romantic novel, which had me both happy and sad at the same time. Some will argue that this is the best novel in the trilogy. For me, it was the first novel, Magic’s Pawn. Throughout the book Mercedes Lackey addresses all kinds love and all kinds of situations/issues lovers deal with because of this powerful love. And through all these, the message remains the same, and it is a message of tolerance.
Karse’s self-proclaimed Prophet-King h
Emily
Ashley
Anila
Christina
I used to like this one least because of the inevitable ending. But I remember softening towards it as I got older, and upon re-reading it holds up just as well as the other ones.
Spoiler alert for the middle of the book: the love scene where Vanyel and Stef finally get together came as something of a revelation for Teener Christiner. It was actually the first time I'd encountered a book that managed to successfully imply that love and sex were linked. Now I think about it, the other books I'd b
Sian Jones
Re-reading this (after having originally read it 20+ years ago), I was struck by how the best world-building doesn't let things last; the best world-building takes the world you've just spent previous novels reading about and then cracks it open, shows you its weaknesses and failure, and draws you into understanding what is gained by the loss even as you mourn it. I know that's a fancy way of describing it, but danged if it doesn't show mature judgment on the author's part.
Nicole N.
The final book in the Last-Herald Mage trilogy tells the life of Vanyel, the most powerful Herald-Mage in history, and how he meets his inescapable fate.

[Possible spoilers. Read at your own risk.]

A little over ten years has passed since the second novel, Vanyel is a mix of young and old (relatively young in age but old in appearance) due to his striking hair and unusual silver eyes. King Randale is as ill as ever and on the inevitable brink of death. Then introduce twenty-year-old Stefen the Ba
Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
This is my favourite book in the series, but there's one small problem.

What does Mercedes Lackey have against Vanyel? He's such a nice guy, but he's got so many problems, it's not even funny. He gets a love in the first book, and all of those who read it know what happened and how much he had to suffer as a result. Then, fast forward to this book.
But, at least there's a bit of happiness to look forward to for Vanyel.

But it doesn't last.
Jo Oehrlein
Fantasy Literature
In Magic’s Price, the third book in Mercedes Lackey’s THE LAST HERALD MAGE trilogy, we discover how this trilogy got its name. It’s been nine years since the previous story ended and the Herald-Mages are being knocked off one by one. Valdemar is in great danger. Vanyel is “the last Herald-Mage” and there’s a target on his back. If he dies, how will Valdemar survive a magical attack by enemies? Can Vanyel and Yfandes, his Companion horse, find and stop Master Dark, the evil magician, before Valde ...more
Azariel
Que dire de ce livre ? Et plus globalement que dire de cette trilogie si ce n'est que je suis fan, complètement fan, totalement fan.
Il est très rare que je prenne plaisir à lire et relire un livre et celui ci fait parti des élus.

L'histoire est tragique, belle, prenante, haletante, triste ... mais il ne pouvait absolument pas en être autrement pour Vanyel.
Dès le premier tome, on sait qu'il connaitra une fin tragique. Cependant on vibre avec lui, on a peur pour lui, on pleure pour lui, on espère
Storm
o/` All those who would be Magic's Pride must then pay Magic's Price o/`

Although time-jumps and skips were a bit of a problem all throughout the series, this was still a very powerful ending to a very amazing story. All the Feels... just... all the Feels...

Vanyel's going up against the biggest, baddest enemy he's ever faced, he'll be hurt deeper then ever, and have to fight harder then any other time to complete his tasks. I wish there were more books from Vanyel's point of view, some of the ski
Kryss Summers
Kat  Hooper
2.5 Originally posted at Fantasy Literature. http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Riayl
2.5

Generally a character becomes more likable as a series goes on. But Vanyel actually seems to get worse or at least he doesn't much change as he gets older. It is one thing to see those things in a neglected, abused boy, but they become very unattractive in an adult man. I think part of the problem is that there are times here when he does or says something that just seems to come completely out of the blue. Instances I generally blame on author convenience. (view spoiler)
Kris Irvin
This is my favorite book in the Last Herald Mage trilogy. That said, I kind of hate this trilogy, so it's not saying much.

Vanyel finally quit whining in this book. One thing I will say is that Lackey does a great job at showing Van's growth and maturation over the course of the story. I didn't think Van would ever suck it up, buttercup, and quit whining all the time.

This book reads like an after school special in so many places. Van and Withen's reconciliation, for example, was so cheesy I had
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 22, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
This is the third and concluding book in the Herald Mage series that begins with Magic's Pawn. I love the Heralds of Valdemar series this novel is a part of. The Herald Mage trilogy was published after the first set of books that begins with Arrows of the Queen, but is set hundreds of years before, so this wouldn't act as a spoiler (and indeed in a way Arrows acts as a spoiler for this set, since by then Vanyel is a figure of legend.)

Because of Arrows of the Queen, I knew Vanyel's fate and more
LKM
Mar 09, 2010 LKM rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of angsty yaoi, who don't mind the actual story
Recommended to LKM by: Jaina
Red Haircrow
I loved the first volume, thought the second was alright but by the third I really felt this story was rushed, stilted and emotionally without depth. Or perhaps certain scenes were written to provoke a certain emotional response but for me were simply flat. Other scenes were completely expressionless. There hadn't been enough build-up for me to really care what happened, and the believability of the same-sex relationship was zero for me, and by the end of the book...the choices made by character ...more
Ryan G
Magic's Price is the third and final volume in The Last Herald Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey, and it's the one that breaks my heart every time I read it. This one will be a bit rambling and maybe even have a few spoilers in it so I apologize before hand.

The story takes place a few years after the events in Magic's Promise and Kind Randale is dying a horrible death that nobody is able to cure or even relief the pain he lives in every day of his life. Every day for him is a struggle and with no
Stephanie Jobe
Vanyel feels older than he is and now instead of being on the front lines he is trapped in duties of court. So many have died and will die. He keeps becoming more alone but there are those who love him who refuse to let him cut himself off. Everything has a cost: freedom, love, and magic. Vanyel has done so much but his losses and sacrifices are not done yet.

Even worse than reviewing the second book… reviewing the third book. This book is about a lot of things. Vanyel’s life and legacy, the char
Ally
Bibliotropic
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • The Fire's Stone
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • The Mirador (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #3)
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • The Ship Who Searched (Brainship, #3)
  • The Painter Knight (Branion, #2)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts & ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Valdemar: The Last Herald-Mage (3 books)
  • Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1)
  • Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2) Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)

“A quaint conceit, don't you think?” 12 likes