Start by marking “De Stad van de Dromende Boeken (Zamonien, #4)” as Want to Read:
De Stad van de Dromende Boeken (Zamonien, #4)

De Stad van de Dromende Boeken (Zamonien #4)

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  11,522 Ratings  ·  955 Reviews
Walter Moers ontvoert de lezer naar het betoverde rijk van de literatuur, waar lezen een avontuur is, waar boeken hun lezers niet alleen op een spannende manier vermaken en aan het lachen brengen, maar ook tot waanzin drijven of zelf ombrengen. De Stad van de Dromende Boeken is een avonturenroman met de vaart van een Thriller, een horrorverhaal vol romantisch uitvergrote c ...more
Published June 2008 by Pandora Pockets (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about De Stad van de Dromende Boeken, please sign up.

Dawnie i don't think that it matters in which order you read this book. I personally only read this one and loved it. They are all individual books with…morei don't think that it matters in which order you read this book. I personally only read this one and loved it. They are all individual books with completely separate stories. I think the only similarity that all the books of this series have in common is that they are fantasy. (less)

Cecily
Jul 25, 2009 Cecily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What it Is

Walter Moers (and his excellent translator, John Brownjohn) love language, and that love permeates ever page, many times. Consequently, the book is a comic hymn to the power, beauty and fun of words, along with a more cautious love of books (which can provoke, or even be, evil). The books of the title are dreaming of being read, because that's what brings them to life.

Story and Setting

Optimus Yarnspinner comes from a city of authors and travels to Bookholm, a city of bookshops, trying
Bazpazazz
Aug 27, 2007 Bazpazazz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
what an amazing novel! ridiculous, irreverant, hilarious, philisophical, snuggly, informative, and many other ives that are positive. i don't want to spoil it, as if anyone could, for folks, so i'll just say this; a three foot tall dinosaur travels to said city in possession of a manuscript, and in search of its author, and manages to re-write the history of Zamonian literature. and foil a nefarious scheme.
GO FORTH AND READ THIS WONDERFUL NOVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
karen
i dunno - this book isnt as cute/clever as it thinks it is. maybe if i were one of the adults-who-read-harry-potter, i would have a better understanding of it, but as it happens, i am not. i expected something more book-dorky, but it was just like reading a childrens adventure story. meh.
Rozalia
Mar 06, 2012 Rozalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rozalia by: Valeria
I know this is going to sound really silly, but this is the best book I've ever read. Please don't get distracted by all the illustrations and the fact that this is a fantasy novel; it is a timeless, mindblowing, deeply moving masterpiece filled with beautiful imaginary worlds and superior writing. It's a beautiful novel for people who love books and adventures, for daydreamers, idealists, optimists, people who haven't lost their hope, but also for pessimists and people with depression because ...more
Jan
Aug 18, 2010 Jan rated it it was amazing
The City of Dreaming Books by German author Walter Moers is one of my all time favorite books. Since the original is written in German, and my German knowledge is minimal, I read the Dutch translation. I tried to look up all the names from the English translation, so everything should be clear, but translations in different languages can always be confusing.

The Story

The City of Dreaming Books tells the tale of Optimus Yarnspinner, an aspiring writer, who inherits his godfather’s possessions and
Kathryn
Aug 20, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: book lovers and authors ready for an odd, imaginative adventure with a dinosaur narrator!
I reached the end of this tale with such mixed feelings. There were times when I felt that the book would never end and I was so very bored. There were other times when I drank up every word as if it were ambrosia, and I wanted the spirit of the book to shine through my every waking hour. Overall, the outstanding moments of imagination and muse far outweighed the plodding aspects of yet another odd-and-dangerous creature encounter or one more night (or was it day? one can never really tell) in t ...more
Paige (Enchantology)
This is one of the most charming and delightful books I've ever read. Highly recommend to anyone who loves books, as they're really the heart of this story - both in terms of reading and writing them. I found myself smiling while reading most of this because it's just such a joy. This will definitely be one I need to reread as it's full of quotes I wish I'd taken the time to write down the first time but was too focused on continuing reading to do so.
Liesa
May 27, 2015 Liesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein total originelles und auch witziges Buch, ich habe das Lesen sehr genossen!
Lora
Mar 25, 2008 Lora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the wittiest book I have read in a long time. A bibliophile's dream come true. It's full of wordplay and allusions to many classic works of literature, except that the references are slightly askew to fit into this novel's realm. I love that the famous authors in this story are often anagrams of well-known bards of the "real" world. The author is also kind enough to provide his own illustrations of his world. Literate dinosaurs, fearsome booklings, wicked literary agents and a Shadow Kin ...more
sj
Review originally posted here.

I've been trying to write a review of this book since I finished it almost a month ago, but haven't been able to find the words.  Instead of a review, you're going to get a series of thoughts.  I can't guarantee I'll make sense, but I hope at the end at least one of you will feel encouraged to pick it up.

The City of Dreaming Books is the fourth book in Walter Moers' Zamonia series, but first in the Dreaming Books series.  I know, it's a little confusing, but I figur
Христо Блажев
Градът на сънуващите книги, градът на дишащите книги: Книговището: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/g...
Когато се появи такава книга, аз лудвам, без майтап. Започвам да звъня и пиша на приятелите си, да поствам бясно цитати от нея, на срещи по каквато и да е тематика да я споменавам и да правя понякога виртуозни връзки между темата на разговора и нещо сред страниците й. Погледът ми се влудничава, отвътре ми е някакво странно, а следващите книги, които чета, заобикалят внимателно и на пръсти п
Bine
Jul 17, 2012 Bine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es war so genial, wie immer, wenn ich es höre. Und immer wieder muss bekomme ich bei diesem grandiosen Ende eine absolute Gänsehaut. Ich liebe dieses Buch / Hörbuch einfach abgöttisch <3
Tilly
Someday I have to re-read this gorgeous book and write a review. This review will be probably more a declaration of love than a review to be honest.
Katri
Jul 10, 2009 Katri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fantastic. I'm in literary love. This was the first book by Walter Moers that I read but will definitely not be the last. I have rarely loved and adored a book as much as this one.

The ultimate book for any booklovers with a sense of humour and a love for good, exciting stories. "The City of Dreaming Books" tells the story of Hildegunst von Mythenmetz (called Optimus Yarnspinner in the English translation, but I read a Finnish translation which kept the original German name of the protagonist) wh
Tristram
Dec 19, 2016 Tristram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humourous
Hier fängt die Rezension an

Nur durch einen Zufall bin ich auf dieses hervorragende Buch gestoßen, denn bislang hatte ich nie so die rechte Lust dazu verspürt, einen Roman von Walter Moers zu lesen, kannte ich ihn doch nur als Vater von Comics, die nicht so ganz meinen Geschmack treffen. Sehr schnell merkte ich jedoch beim Lesen, daß ich hier ein ganz besonderes Buch aufgestöbert hatte, denn die Liebe seines Verfassers zur Literatur spricht ihm aus jeder Zeile.

Moers lädt uns in die fantastische W
Sandra
Do you love reading? Do you love fantasy worlds? And do you love books? In that case, this book is for you. It's the story of a dinosaur who goes to a city where everything, and I mean everything, has to do with books. The newspaper Die Welt has called this a love declaration for literature, and in that, the critic was quite correct. I'm a bit hestitant to talk about the book or its fantasy world, because I don't want to spoil anything! But in short: the city of Buchhaim is a city full of books, ...more
Michael
It is now official, I have a new favorite author and series. Having been totally blown away from Moers first two books set in the mythical lost continent of Zamonia my expectations was high for more madcap calamity in the land of living books. Tee-hee this was such an awesome read. Narrated by trepid adventurer Optimus Yarnspinner, he describes his perilous journey to find the identity of the author of a manuscript that is the most accomplished Zamonian writing ever put to paper. Traveling to Bo ...more
Amanda NEVER MANDY
I did not enjoy this journey as much as the first two. I wasn’t as attached to the main character, way more interested in a character that appeared towards the end of the story. I did however love the theme, BOOKS!! A world that almost completely consists of books is a world that I want to live in. Well except for the meal option, book worms. I pictured big ol’ maggots and grubs every time I came across the word. BLECH!!

This author is gifted. I can only imagine what kind of imagination he has. I
Jojo
May 27, 2015 Jojo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 Sterne gibt's von mir für das Buch.
Es hat unglaublich Spaß genacht, das Buch im Zuge der Wanderbuch-Aktion zu lesen, gerade weil man immer noch kleine Eindrücke der anderen Leser mitbekommt und es dadurch teilweise noch lustiger war.
Allerdings muss ich auch sagen, dass ich wohl nie ein Walter Moers-Fan werde, so Leid es mir auch tut. Zu Beginn bin ich unglaublich begeistert von der Geschichte gewesen, was dann aber im Verlauf immer weiter abnahm. Mich nervt es einfach, dass immer wieder de
Lea
Apr 01, 2013 Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw this book, I was on a city trip to Berlin. I needed some time for myself, and had the need for an escape from my everyday student life. At first the cover awakened my attention, a book with books on it. How wonderful! (Especially if you really-really-really, are into books) and the title makes it even better.
But then I wouldn’t buy it at first. Walter Moors has also written "The 13 Lives of Captain Bluebear", and as every other German I do associate this with children’s stories.
Bistra Ivanova
Превъзходна книга за книжки! Въобще не я намирам младежка, непременно ще се хареса на феновете на The Shadow of the Wind!

Прекрасният, мил, добър, умен и чувствителен дракон Змей Митоблудни изпълнява завещанието на своя поетичен кръстник и отива в Книговището в търсене на един гениален автор. Следват приключения, екшън, смях, страх, злодеи, смелост, доблест, случайности, мистерии...

Прекрасно написан, завладяващ роман! 500 страници за 2 дни. Хайде, книжки!
Lisa Burgess
Apr 24, 2015 Lisa Burgess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Womöglich eines der am liebevollsten geschrieben Bücher, die ich je gelesen habe. Von Beginn an hat mein Herz dem Erzähler der Geschichte gehört, Hildegunst <3 Ich habe so viele Gefühle für dieses Buch, darüber könnte man glatt ein Buch schreiben.
Наталия Янева
Във тъмни, хладни, празни стаи,
където се кръстосват сенки бледи,
където древни книги сън сънуват
за отминалите времена, когато са били дървета,
и въглищата раждали са диаманти,
и никой не познавал светлина и милост –
е мястото, където онзи дух царува,
наречен Сенчестия крал.

Приближи се още малко, читателю. Точно така... Ела на опасно приключение в свят, в който властват книгите. И странните същества. И една твърде дълго пазена тайна.

Запознайте се със Змей Митоблудни – нашият гид в необятния свят на bo
PJC
Aug 04, 2010 PJC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I… don’t know how to describe it. The cover compared the author to J.K. Rowling, Douglas Adams, Shel Silverstein, Monty Python and Terry Pratchett so how could I resist? But it started out strangely, so strangely that I wondered if this was an adult or young adult book, and then I thought it was a children's book and then changed my mind again, because it teetered back and forth.

Then there were the illustrations. They were black and white and looked like a cross between Sandra Boynton and Edward
Chris
It’s alive I tell you, alive! Everything in this book is alive, and even the book itself might be as well, possessed by the Orm and all the astral dust in between Earth and Bookholm. Moers conjures up a vast catalog of species and settings in this metafiction-fantasy, which is mostly set in the catacombs below a city of readers and writers. Some parts in this book are unforgettable- like the trombomusic, the trash dump, the crystal caves, and the mine-shaft “rollercoaster”, which might be the mo ...more
Chris
Oct 17, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something about the books you own. There is a sense to them. You can tell what they are simply by touch. Possession feels physically different than The Forgotten Garden. They even smell different.

If you know, extactly what I am talking about, then this book is for you.

Moers tells the story of Yarnspinner and his search for the writer of the most perfect thing he has ever read. This quest takes him to Bookholm and then to places far more dangerous. Along the way, Moers examines the place
Ignacio Senao f
Mar 16, 2015 Ignacio Senao f rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imposible no imaginar ser adaptado por Jim Henson, pues su parecido con el film “Dentro del Laberinto” es claro.

Si leemos literatura de género, es para encontrar un lugar que sea maravilloso, diferente, donde nunca podamos estar, tan solo en sueños, películas o con libros. A veces lo encontramos y otras no. Aquí lo he encontrado, y ha sido precioso.

Un mundo totalmente diferente, en el que todo está relacionado con los libros, personajes pintorescos, diálogos chispeantes, situaciones estrambótica
Laurie Bridges
Oct 04, 2007 Laurie Bridges rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mabye sci-fi fanatics who are library lovers
The first half of this book needs some serious editing...a lot of "noise" (lots names and events that are irrelevant to the story - I think the author was trying to be toooo witty). The main character is a dinosaur-like creature who has lived his life in a castle learning about books. His godfather dies and he sets out on a trek to the city of Bookholm to find the author of a short but amazing manuscript his godfather has left him. The rest goes on from there.

I wouldn't read it again...but the l
Twig
May 26, 2013 Twig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Was soll ich zu diesem Buch nur sagen. Es begleitet mich schon solange und es musste dringend mal wieder gelesen werden. Es ist mein Lieblingsbuch.. Es ist ein Meisterwerk alles an diesem Buch stimmt es ist wunderschön und es berührt mich jedesmal zu tiefst.
Kati
May 19, 2015 Kati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So viel Liebe für das Buch! ♥
Madison Mega-Mara...: #22 The City of Dreaming Books 1 2 Mar 04, 2017 09:18AM
Around the Year i...: The City of Dreaming Books, by Walter Moers 8 42 Jul 21, 2016 11:30PM
  • Die Känguru-Chroniken: Ansichten eines vorlauten Beuteltiers (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #1)
  • The Night of Wishes
  • Dschinnland (Die Sturmkönige, #1)
  • Lumen (Uralte Metropole, #3)
  • Krabat
  • The Book of Flying
  • Voll Im Bilde/Alles Sense!
  • Das Museum der gestohlenen Erinnerungen
  • Eine Billion Dollar
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • Die Magier von Montparnasse
  • Die entführte Prinzessin: Von Drachen, Liebe und anderen Ungeheuern
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
Walter Moers was born in 1957 and is a writer, cartoonist, painter and sculptor. He has refused to be photographed ever since his comic strips The Little Asshole and Adolf were published, the latter leading him to be declared persona non grata by the political right in Germany. Walter Moers lives in Hamburg.
More about Walter Moers...

Zamonien (10 books)
  • The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear (Zamonia, #1)
  • Ensel und Krete. Ein Märchen aus Zamonien (Zamonien, #2)
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)
  • Der Schrecksenmeister (Zamonien, #5)
  • Das Labyrinth der Träumenden Bücher (Zamonien, #6)
  • Die Insel der Tausend Leuchttürme (Zamonien, #7)
  • Das Schloss der Träumenden Bücher (Zamonien, #8)
  • Prinzessin Insomnia & der alptraumfarbene Nachtmahr (Zamonien, #9)
  • Zamonien. Entdeckungsreise durch einen phantastischen Kontinent. Von A wie Anagrom Ataf bis Z wie Zamomin

“Reading is an intelligent way of not having to think.” 244 likes
“Stealing from one author is plagiarism; from many authors, research.” 155 likes