Blank-133x176
Right of Thirst

Frank Huyler

Right of Thirst

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  57 reviews

Shattered by his wife's death, and by his own role in it, successful cardiologist Charles Anderson volunteers to assist with earthquake relief in an impoverished Islamic country in a constant state of conflict with its neighbor. But when the refugees he's come to help do not appear and artillery begins to fall in the distance along the border, the story takes an unexpected

Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Right of Thirst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Right of Thirst

I picked this book up and was captivated by the thoughtful questions this book appears to offer from the synopsis on the back of the book. "...one man's desire to live a moral life offers a moving exploration of the tensions between poverty and wealth, the ethics of intervention, the deep cultural differences that divide the world, and the essential human similarities that unite it."

The Doctor struggles to live after his wife passes away. "But in the days and weeks that followed Rachel's death,...more
Mary
Jan 24, 2010 Mary rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: I think NY Times Book Review, but I also found it on the "new bo
Shelves: fiction
This is the story of a man whose wife dies when he's around 60. To make sense of his life, he goes off to an unnamed country, but which seems probably to be Afghanistan, volunteering his doctor skills. The story takes place first in the US, with his wife dying, then in the camp where he stays in the far country, then in the city when that is over, as he makes sense of his experience there. One of the reviews on the back of the book says: "one of the finest novels I've read in years." These kind...more
Angela
This is another book I picked up to pass time in an airport, and I was surprised and captivated from the first page. As a person of faith and a divinity student, my reading is understandably slanted toward a Christian worldview. I appreciated the challenge to my thinking presented by Huyler's religious ambiguity. I have a handful of books that I reread every couple of years, because of the unique way they challenge me, and I imagine "Right of Thirst" will find its way to that shelf.
Lisa
I loved this book. The writing is exquisite and the characters are beautifully developed. Told in the first person, it's a very intimate, interior story of a thoughtful middle aged man trying to do something meaningful with his life. Although nothing goes as planned, he (and we) learn a lot about a very different culture.
David. Luck
This is a great book, showcasing a part of the world that most of us do not know. It is also a great story about loss and the introspection of our lives during personal conflict. It is certainly a recommended read.
Kirsten
Well-written, hard to put down and sometimes hard to read if you long for happily-ever-after. Makes an interesting pairing with Three Cups of Tea.
Ernie
Gio
Frank Huyler delivers on a stark and sparse novel about a doctor who travels to an unnamed Asian country set in the Himalayas. The book itself provides a look into the life of a man who's lost his wife and seeks to find meaning in participating in a rescue mission for refugees of an earthquake.

Dr. Charles Anderson, a man who's lost his wife to cancer, takes off on a journey to forget his pain, but finds himself at peril when the rescue mission is far less than what he thought it would be.

The aut...more
Lauren
This doesn't seem like the kind of book I usually read, but I liked the first chapter enough to buy it and continue onward. The first chapter depicted a man and his wife in what appeared to be an assisted suicide, and it was written so tenderly (and without being maudlin) that I found my eyes welling up just a page into the book -- unusual for me. So, I'm giving this one a shot...

I finished this book in a day (but I spent all of yesterday reading). I thought it was excellent. I loved the autho...more
Alexis
It was okay and I didn't mind that the narrator proved unlikeable in the first two chapters--it was a kind of reverse likeable-ness in that the narrator was reporting things that made him look bad. And it's a refreshing look at how NGOs don't always totally save the world and make it a better place while giving volunteers a deep sense of meaning in their lives. But suddenly my lukewarm feelings turned to dislike when I looked at the author discussion in the back. The author photo therein shows a...more
Rose
The cover and back jacket made me think I was going to get something really interesting and informative, but just like the refugees, it never really materialized for me. So I gave up halfway in.

There were a couple of characters like Rai and the lecturer who had kind of annoying personalities, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I would have found out about Rai if I had read the whole thing, but that didn't happen. I didn't have anything against the protagonist and Elise, but I was still never really com...more
Judy
The first novel written by an ER doctor, the book tells the story of a recently widowed and deeply grieving heart surgeon who seeks for new meaning in his life by joining a group that serves in earthquake refugee camps in an unnamed, war-torn Islamic country (although it sounds much like Pakistan). When he gets to his destination, which is a remote camp in the mountains far away from any large cities, no refugees materialize and he spends his days waiting with another volunteer (who is actually...more
Rose Marie
This is a very important book for understanding how Americans are perceived in the world. The narrative takes place in Pakistan --though the country is not named in the novel --where the protagonist, a middle-aged doctor, is seeking renewal and transformation by volunteering to take care of earthquake victims. The victims of earthquake never show up but the camp erected for their arrival arouses suspicion across the border where the enemy is watchful. Shooting ensues causing an unnecessary death...more
Naomi
Johan
I think the title & blurb on the back were misleading as I expected more about the country & it's people whereas it was more about the personal journey Charles was undertaking. I still enjoyed it though, well written.
Chanpheng
A cardiologist who neglects his wife suffers remorse when she dies of cancer and his intervention of assisted suicide. He tries to find meaning in life through going to Pakistan to help people displaced by the earthquake. No one shows up, and he and a co-worker get peripherally involved in a clash between Indian and Pakistani forces.

The protagonist is not very interesting, there's little growth in his character. The book begs for a sequel - at the end, he and his co-worker get bit by sand flies,...more
TheSecretWriter
This book is a very good fictional read. It tells the story of a cardiologist who after the death of his wife sets out to try and sort out within himself where his own life is going after this traumatic event. He decides to volunteer as a doctor in a newly set up refugee camp and so the actual story of the quest to resolve his inner conflicts begin. This story turned out much better than I first thought it would. The question that you are left wondering about within the first chapter is answered...more
Jeet
I was hoping that I would enjoy this book...but I was thoroughly disappointed..the main character was wet...I felt like screaming at him at times....I was waiting for the storyline to kick in...it never did:(...I was relieved when it finished...at times the main character really made me feel frustrated...I just wanted to jump into the book and say "wake up"....if you want a slow paced book...then this is the one for you....don't expect it to be a page turner or have a great story line....its not...more
Gretchen
Renee
This book is about a man who is shattered by his wife's death, and the way his life has turned out in general. He leaves his comfortable life as a retired MD, and volunteers to assist with earthquake relief in an Islamic country which is in a constant state of conflict. It is also the story of one's own dispassion and distance and the ever present remorse of the road not taken. The characters were solid and highly believable. Great read.
Lynne Brookfield
I read THE RIGHT OF THIRST in 2009 after reading THE BLOOD OF STRANGERS, Huyler's fascinating experiences in the ER. RIGHT OF THIRST is a beautifully written story of a physician's experience tending the ailments of tribal populations in the mountains of the Middle East. An Afghanistan-like place, though the author does not specify. The story is "riveting," to quote Tom Brokaw. And provocative as well.
Kathy
An introspective look at one man's journey to find meaning in his life after the death of his wife. His experience of helping others in an impoverished country, in hopes of fulfillment, brings surprise, disappointment, and a new self-awareness to an individual in transition. How Americans, doing humanitarian work abroad, are perceived is a particularly interesting aspect of this novel.

Louise
Interesting tale of a man recently widowed and trying to find a worthwhile experience or activity to give his life new meaning. He desires to do the right thing and make a difference but cultural misunderstandings get in the way. In the end he does some good things, never really seems to resolve his issues, but finds solace in the enduring bonds of family. I posted some quotes from this book.
Chris
Based on the New Yorker blurb I was hoping for a more devastating critique of a naive and misguided humanitarian mission. The novel focuses on character development, and I wasn't very interested in any of the people Huyler creates. From the interview at the back of the book, the author comes off as very annoying, but to his credit it doesn't come through in the writing.
Jessie
I had a hard time getting into this book at first, but after a while the story picked up pace and I really enjoyed it. It's an interesting meditation on international aid and on growing older, among other things. The writing is really beautiful and the plot has several twists that I was not expecting.
Janet
A middle-aged doctor tries to find a way to make a difference in the world after his wife dies of cancer. He travels to an unnamed country that sounds very much like Pakistan to set up a camp for earthquake survivors, but is thwarted by bureaucracy, border skirmishes, and lack of resources.
Betty
A cardiologist volunteers to assist earthquake victims in a remote Islamic country which is in constant conflict with its neighbor. The book explores the profound differences between poverty and wealth. Although a different read for me, it was an interesting picture of a very alien world.
Sharon
I enjoyed reading this book. The main character was complex but honest about himself. I think it showed an insight into the culture of this "Islamic country" (he never really names it)that many people do not understand. I was surprised by the ending-not what I expected.
Jen
This book seemed so promising, but it was so disappointing. It wasn't a horrible story, it just was bland and missed all of its possibilities. Joe told me that it was not worth the time, I didn't believe him, but I have to agree. Don't waste your time on it.
Penny
This is an interesting story about a disillusioned man who becomes an aid worker. I enjoyed it but found the relationships somewhat stilted. The atmospheric writing of a 3rd world country were poignant and probably the most memorable part of the book.
Born 1964, in Berkeley, CA; married, 2000. Education: Williams College, B.A., 1986; University of North Carolina School of Medicine, M.D., M.P.H. Addresses: Home: Albuquerque, NM.

CAREER:

Emergency medicine physician, educator, and author. University of New Mexico Hospitals, Albuquerque, resident, 1993- 96; physician, 1996--; University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, assistant professor of emergency m...more
More about Frank Huyler...
The Blood of Strangers: Stories from Emergency Medicine The Laws of Invisible Things The Castaway: A Novella (Kindle Single)

“Children are not entirely human. There is a lot of the animal left in them.

about the girl who needed her foot amputated. p170”
1 likes
“Only the effort of walking calmed me, and allowed me to think at all.

p 227”