Stürmisches Spiel der Herzen (Lorimer Family, #2)

Stürmisches Spiel der Herzen (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #4)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  722 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The acclaimed author of "The Devil You Know" pens a shimmering novel about a Scottish noblewoman on the run from her past and a powerful English lord brought to his knees by desire.
Aubrey Montford claims to be a widowed housekeeper. Desperate to keep her new post -- and her secrets -- she transforms desolate Castle Cardow into a profitable estate. Yet soon after her empl...more
Paperback
Published February 12th 2008 by Bastei Lübbe (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Stürmisches Spiel der Herzen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stürmisches Spiel der Herzen

Denise
Liz Carlyle brings us Giles' story who we met in A Woman of Virtue. He is a very lonely man with a heart that has been broken, mostly by his father. He is a lord and politician residing in London as he has nothing but tormented memories of his isolated castle estate. His war veteran Uncle resides there and has hired a new housekeeper, Aubrey Montford along with her young son.
When he gets a message that his uncle has been murdered, he goes to the family estate and meets Aubrey. The sparks soon f...more
Julianna
Dec 04, 2012 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I'm not sure why I haven't picked up a Liz Carlyle romance in a while, probably just because I've been too busy with review books and other novels that caught my attention. She has never yet failed to give me a great read, and A Deal with the Devil was no exception. It was a pleasure to see Giles, a character I'd really liked in A Woman of Virtue, finally get his HEA. Even though it had been a long time since I'd read one of Liz Carlyle's books, I managed to almost instan...more
_inbetween_
As mentioned in previous reviews, I will change the stars later in some cases to reflect on other books read. I just couldn't say "I liked it", so currently it stays at the 1 star, since it was as unpleasant a read for me as most her writing now.

The story starts as a mix of her earlier "Woman Scorned" (unfairly maligned woman protects small boy child) and Beverley's "Dragon's Bride" (beautiful young housekeeper in remote castle he inherits), which all in all was ok. But when employer Walraven fo...more
Ladiibbug
Mar 06, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
#2 Devil trilogy - Historical Romance

Giles, Lord Walrafen & Aubrey Montford

Aubrey, a widowed housekeeper with a young son -- or so she claims -- finds a position at an isolated estate. Her employer is a difficult and reclusive elderly man, who wants only to drink himself to death in peace, thus leaving Aubrey to manage the Castle and estate holdings. With so many secrets, this arrangement fits Aubrey quite well.

When Giles, the nephew, returns from London, however, her anonymous and neatly o...more
Lisa
Une romance très réussie, donc j'avais encore rien lu de cette auteure mais je compte bien changer cela. Une très belle plume, une intrigue passionnante qui prend une grande place avec presque une petite touche de roman gothique. L'histoire d'amour est très belle avec beaucoup de passion et de sentiments. Seul petit bémol, je n'ai pas trop aimé la façon dont les héros se rapprochent, pas assez romantique pour moi. Sinon ce livre aurait eu 5/5.
Cruth
Author: Liz Carlyle
First published: 2004
Length: 375 pages
Setting: Regency, Somerset.
Sex: Frequent and very explicit. Somewhat aggressive. Questionable consent given the power imbalance and her fears.
Heroine: on the run. (view spoiler)
Hero: Parents were distant, father controlling. Needs to be loved.
Trigger: Suicide. Hero's mother may have killed herself (she was despondent). (view spoiler)...more
Oleta Blaylock
With this story we finally get to read about Giles Lorimer's, Earl of Walrafen, happily ever after. I have been hoping for this book for some time. Giles has seemed so sad and lonely since Cecilia married David Branthwaite, Viscount Delacourt. There was no indication of where Lord Walrafen’s home estate was since there has been no mention of it in the earlier books. I learned why in this story. I guess with the sad and angry memories that Giles has of the place I wouldn’t want to go there either...more
Gwen
Je dois dire que je suis surprise par cette lecture, je ne m’attendais pas à cela de la part de l’auteur.
L’intrigue et le rythme sont bien faits. On a envie de savoir ce qu’il va se passer. Après ce n’est le livre avec une histoire des plus originale… le rythme et l’intrigue sont beaucoup pour cette lecture ainsi que l’habilité de l’auteur a nous faire tenir jusqu’au bout. Ce n’est pas le meilleur de Liz Carlyle.
Dès le début on s’en que quelque chose cloche avec l’héroïne et on peut le deviner...more
Sara
I quite enjoyed seeing Walrafen again, and I was happy with the heroine and the setting. But the real star of the show, as always, was George Kemble -- I wonder if we'll ever be progressive enough as a society that we'll get a book with Kemble as the hero?
Mitzi
I liked this one too....B+....Very entertaining and kept me turning the pages.
Cbackson
The problem with this book, really, is that it wasn't written by Mary Balogh or Courtney Milan. Regency romance is a genre that's beset with class problems - in the real world, not all of those dukes and marquesses and margraves and vicomtes were champions of the working class best defined by their sense of noblesse oblige. Most authors ignore them. A few - like Balogh and Milan - tackle them head one. Carlyle, to her credit, has tried to do the latter, but the attempt comes far short.

The plot'...more
Abby
It took me a while to figure out what bothered me about this book, but I think I finally put my finger on it. This is the first in the series where the characters changes aren't clearly motivated. Giles is a represeed political leader with no room in his life for anything else. Aubrey is a woman on the run, with dark secrets, who just wants to find some measure of safety and security for the child traveling with her. (Yeah, we've already seen Carlyle use that plot line before. See A Woman Scorne...more
Sookies
J'ai passé un excellent moment dans cet univers à la fois riche et enivrant. On se prête facilement au jeu de l'enquête, à l'étroitesse des murs de Cardow ou tout se sait à un moment ou à un autre, au passé de la mystérieuse Mrs Montfort et enfin... A l'histoire d'amour, qui a su me donner des papillons dans le ventre comme il se doit.

Mon avis complet ici : http://sook-book.over-blog.net/articl...
Mymyworm
Une romance comme je les aime ! Deux héros passionnés dont l’amour peine à éclore en raison des secrets de leur passé et en dépit de l’attraction quasi irrésistible qui les lie.

Ma chronique : http://songedunenuitdete.com/2014/05/...
Roberta
Widow on the run with young child finds job in a country house doing for crabby old drunk with a heart of gold. Old guy dies a suspicious death and handsome, brooding nephew shows up to investigate. Housekeeper is prime, but prime what? Steamy.

But how these series books usally work is that there is a romantic couple in the first book but we are also introduced to the bride's sisters or the groom's battle buddies. Then in the second book one of the characters we've been introduced to as a minor...more
Kit
A good, solid romance between a hard working politically motivated earl and a Lady on the run that serves as a housekeeper at his estate he never visits. A slowly built story- it takes three year for them to meet. He finally goes to the estate after the death/murder of his beloved uncle.
The tone of the story was serious for the most part. The characters were interesting enough to keep me up late finishing it. Giles character was a pleasant surprise.
Gail
Very good book. Heroine has escaped hanging for a crime she didn’t do, stolen a child to protect him and hidden out as a housekeeper for the Earl of Walrafen at the family seat he never visits. She looks after his uncle there, but when the uncle dies, the earl must finally go home and deal with the funeral and the accusation that the heroine may have murdered his kinsman. Very good story, up to Carlyle’s usual standards.
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I really, really enjoyed this book, starting out with the letters the heroine wrote to the hero. Cracked me up a beauty! I loved the romance which was hot and the mystery kept me interested. To be honest quite often mysteries in my romance annoy me, but I liked this mystery and the outcome very much. My fave Liz Carlyle book so far...still got a few to go!
Christine
One of my favorite Liz Carlyle books.

Both Aubry and Giles are wonderful characters; their developing relationship is well-written and thoroughly believable. The setting is vivid and detailed. The plot keeps moving briskly along as the couple tries to solve the murder of Giles' uncle.

Mary Vilarino

I gave this book a three star rating because I really liked the heroine especially in the first part of the book. The hero I found annoying and not very likeable. For a man who was proud of his integrity his early treatment of Aubrey left something to be desired.
Jenn
I like Liz Carlyle. Her writing is fast and sensual, her characters not too stereotypical. This is a solid entry in her literary list and if you like this, you will like the others on my list by her. She writes great love scenes.
Nanette
interesting set of characters. Carlyle sets up a hero who seems good and altruistic only to discover that he is fallible--willing to use his power and position to subjugate a young woman whom he desires.
Katie
I like Liz for the simple fact that every single book I've ever read by her somehow involves this man named Kemble. This one was okay except they dragged out the mystery and quickened the romance.
Keri
Not one of my favs. Giles was a prig for way too long and Aubrey kept her distrust of Giles too long. Some parts of the books left a bad taste in my mouth and just didn't work for me.
Kindaangelic
Love love love Liz Carlyle!....she writes a great book and keeps you interested thru out.
Marilyn
Aubrey Montford and Lord Walrafen. Pub March 2004.
Dawn
I really liked the story-line in this novel
Brianna
was pretty good. this was a re-read for me.
Ellen
The men from the home office series
  • Lord of a Thousand Nights (Medieval #6)
  • The Secret Pearl
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
  • After the Kiss
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
  • That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides, #.5)
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • Once Upon a Wedding Night (The Derrings, #1)
  • When Tempting a Rogue (Victorian Soap Opera, #3)
  • The Bride Price
21944
Dear Readers,

The awful truth about novelists is that we are mostly dull, introverted homebodies who only write in order to live our fantasies vicariously. I came to writing rather late in life, and I’m still amazed I can get paid for doing something I love, and that I get to stay home while I do it.

My favorite comedian Steve Martin once said, "I believe entertainment can aspire to be art, and ca...more
More about Liz Carlyle...
The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3) Never Lie to a Lady (Neville Family #1) Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4) Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2) Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)