Start by marking “The Gabon Virus: A Novel (TSI: Time Scene Investigators, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gabon Virus: A Novel (TSI: Time Scene Investigators, #1)

The Gabon Virus: A Novel (TSI: Time Scene Investigators #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  18 reviews
TIME SCENE INVESTIGATORS

An ancient disease, a modern pandemic, and the one person who offers hope for a cure has been dead for 350 years

In 1666, a horrible disease took the lives of almost every person in Eyam (pronounced Eem), England. Helping the sick and the dying was the mysterious and ghostlike Blue Monk, whose strange appearance terrified even those who were comforte

Published August 18th 2009 by Howard Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Gabon Virus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gabon Virus

Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Fascinating and compelling are two words I'd use to describe this book. Moving back and forth between 1666 England and the modern day, we see comparisons between the plague epidemic and how the threat of viruses like Ebola today, can wipe out a community in hours, if not minutes. The addition of the Blue Monk and his story of how he helped those plague victims was fascinating, especially with the modern science to explain the explain the 17th century myth.

While I found it hard at times to keep
Terri
A special team - TSI (Time Scene Investigators)are called in to help stop a possible global pandemic of a particularly virulent form of Ebola which has escaped from a top secret lab in Greenland.

Keys to the current virus and how to stop it may be found in the medieval history of a town called Eyams that survived plague in the Middle Ages.

In addition, there are agents of a pharmaceutical company (who wants to make profits from a cure) and of a radical environmental group (who want to exterminate
Ross Cavins
This book wasn't badly written but it gets a little Christian preachy for my taste. I guess I should have read the imprint of who published it before I bought it ...

Just inside the front cover there's this:

Our purpose at Howard Books is to:
1) Increase faith in the hearts of growing Christians
2) Inspire holiness in the lives of believers
3) Instill hope in the hearts of struggling people everywhere
Because He's coming again!

Uh, hmmm ... okay. That's fine and dandy but if you're going to preach to m
Bob
When a small fringe religious group is found dead in an apparent mass suicide in their remote compound in Gabon the investigators discover that they had all contracted an Ebola type virus which was already killing them. Knowing this the authorities bombed the compound in an attempt to contain the virus. Unknown to them one young boy had not taken the poison and had hidden outside the compound and was now on the run carrying the virus with him and since it was airborne and extremely virulent, con ...more
Janet
The Gabon Virus is an excellent book, and well written to boot. I really enjoyed its scientific details and the way they wrapped the Black Plague into the story, along with the present disease. Mysterious, thrilling, emotional, and humorous the Gabon Virus taps into all these feelings beautifully, as it draws its readers in chapter-by-chapter, page-by-page.

I like how the authors added "checkpoints" or what they called Parts throughout the book. This way the sections are divided from beginning, m
Jeff Carpenter
From the back cover: In 1666, a horrible disease took the lives of almost every person in Eyam, England. Helping the sick and the dying was the mysterious and ghostlike Blue Monk, whose strange appearance terrified even those who were comforted by him. More than three centuries later the disease has returned, more virulent than before. Every day more people are infected; every hour more die. The lives of millions rest in the hands of a bio-team--the Time Scene Investigators--that studies history ...more
Margaret
Aug 18, 2009 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: FIRST Wild Card
Honestly, I cannot wait for more books of the TSI (Time Scene Investigators) group, this novel was just too neat. Placed in modern day with a few chapters in the 1660's this book was a complete page turner filled with anxiety and adventure. The characters come to life and the technology is real. Never was there a dull moment in the reading of this story.

A vast array of personalities were brought together in this cast of characters. Real fears and dilemmas were carried to light and worked throug
Wyndy
Interesting premise: take a historical fact ~ the plague in a small town in 1600 England ~ mesh it with a unleashed virus today and see what happens. How do the two relate and what can the remains of an old Blue Monk tell a scientist of today. The story moves at a fairly good pace. The switches between the past and present, and England and Africa move smoothly without any jarring or hesitation. The detail in the scientific, medical, and military sides of the story seem to be plausible. I didn't ...more
Layla Smith
"This book kept very entertained from beginning to end. The characters and storyline were fabulous. There were so many twist and turns that I never had time to become bored with the book.

The christain undertones to the story were an unexpected surprise that I really enjoyed. Many books that are focused in science totally ignore the existance of God. It is like that the authors think that the two can't possibly work together. I was so glad to see the authors use science and religion together."
Marcia
Can Ebola go air-born? Will activists release a deadly virus into a remote population? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, how will the world react?

Gabon virus captures one's attention from the first. Even though this is a fictional account, it details what could easily happen today. Interested readers should also read The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story -- a nonfiction account of dealing with deadly viruses.
Debi
An Ebola virus that is airborne - what a nightmare that would be! In this book that is what is encountered that must be fought against and stopped before it becomes a pandemic. The Time Scene Investigators research past plagues looking for clues to help with current ones.
This was a great suspense and quick read! I'm hoping there will be more books like this - maybe this is the beginning of a series?
Janie
I'm being generous with three stars. Decently written, just didn't do anything for me except satisfy the need to read and move off the shelf. I have the next one (The Influnze Bomb) that I'll need to read-and-move too. Seemed to take forever to read, so that shows how interested I was.
I would've never picked this book to read but did so due to my good friends in the Higher Ground book club. Great book, well written, very exciting, and a real page turner!
Bonnie
This book is hard to put down! A gripping tale of a virus that threatens the world! A very complicated with lots of twists and turns.
Marilea
The story starts out good but gets bogged down. I didn't quite get to the end but lost interest in it by the third quarter of the book.
Alice
This was so epic! I was on the edge of my seat flying through pages the whole time!!! Can't wait to start The Influenza Bomb! :D
Cynthia
Awesome book!
Joy Wilson
Joy Wilson marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Clinton Sites
Clinton Sites marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jul 14, 2015
Susan Yeomans
Susan Yeomans marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Hunted: A Novel
  • Danger Close
  • The Last Operative
  • Death Trap (Robot Wars, #1)
  • The Deuce (Midtown Blue #1)
  • No Place Like Holmes (No Place Like Holmes, #1)
  • Genesis of a Hero (Angels Without Wings #0.5)
  • Deployed (Called to Serve, #1)
  • Temptation (Solitary Tales, #3)
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • The Last Disciple
  • Lost Mission
  • Greater Love (Tides of Truth, #3)
  • Gold of Kings
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • Necessary Evils (Left Behind Political #3)
  • To Write a Wrong (Justice Seekers, #2)
  • The Dead Whisper on
Paul McCusker is the creative content director for Focus on the Family. He has been a writer of fiction, nonfiction, and drama since 1979. His work includes over forty published novels, full-length plays, dramatic sketch collections, and song lyrics. For the Adventures in Odyssey series alone, he has written over 200 half-hour radio episodes, eighteen novels, and two screenplays for the best-selli ...more
More about Paul McCusker...

TSI: Time Scene Investigators (2 books)
  • The Influenza Bomb (TSI: Time Scene Investigators, #2)
Darien's Rise (Adventures In Odyssey: Passages, #1) Annison's Risk (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #3) Arin's Judgment (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #2) Glennall's Betrayal (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #4) Draven's Defiance (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #5)