Start by marking “Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)

Vigilante (Vigilante #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  897 ratings  ·  166 reviews
Montreal . . . the long, hot summer of 1996. . .

. . . and in the dark of night, moving like a shadowy wraith, a vigilante prowls the city's streets.

The targets of his bloody rampage: the worst of the worst.

Murderers. Gangbangers. Rapists.

Six months. Sixteen murders. The harried police are still without a clue . . .

. . . until the day they receive an email from the assassin
Published April 22nd 2009 by Claude Bouchard (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vigilante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vigilante

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonBlood Line by John J.  DavisThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Thrillers You Must Read!
25th out of 1,896 books — 2,844 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonParallel Roads (Lost on Route 66) by Dennis HigginsAll Bottled Up by Angela     RoseAlmost Yesterday by Dennis HigginsKatya And Cyrus Time Pilgrims by Dennis Higgins
Best Time Travel Romances
231st out of 297 books — 738 voters

More lists with this book...

Peter Carroll
Three things made me read this book.

1. The author has a massive following on Twitter and blogs about Indie writing, handing out advice and tips.

2. The reviews are mostly gushing and fullsome in their praise.

3. It was available as a free download.

I have to admit to being ever so slightly disappointed. It's essentially a good story, well structured, with a few clever twists and touches, and he does a good job of juggling the possibilities and suspects. Unfortunately, I guessed the ending about hal
James Davis
Rarely have I read a novel so pitifully awful as Vigilante. If I were to write a detailed review of what Claude Bouchard got wrong, it would end up longer than the book itself. Instead, I'll stick with a few basic points.

1. The lead detective is pathetically inept, yet portrayed as a superstar. Now, this *can* actually work if you're making a more personal story focusing on character flaws, but the character portrayals in the book are delivered in such a shallow, "tell, don't show" style that it
Sharon Michael
This was my first book by this author but will not be my last, in fact I've already downloaded the next in this series. Maybe not 'quite' amazing but definitely my kind of book.

Fast pace, interesting characters and the author handled the vigilante theme very well, with enough of a twist to keep you involved. While I started to suspect the identity of the killer late in the book it certainly wasn't obvious and the entire plot was fast paced, with the actual killings handled with a relatively ligh
Dale
I read this out of order but I don't think it matters. I read the second book before this a while back. These are pretty good and I'll continue the series. I have the third one on my bookshelf.

Who is the Vigilante? He's a Robin Hood of sorts killing people that have committed crimes and murders themselves. He is just doing the legal system a favor. He is an expert at hiding himself and all the traces of his activity from the police. Can he be caught? Read and find out.
Cari Foulk
You'd think, with years of editing fiction and reading countless queries and manuscripts, that I would be an expert at knowing who-done-it. Claude Bouchard has proven me wrong. I had NO idea what the outcome of this mind-bending mystery would be until the big reveal at the end of the novel. Not a clue!
Brilliantly executed, sharp and concise writing, Vigilante is a stellar example of what a crime / mystery / thriller should be. Perfect.
A must read.
Kathleen Patel
Vigilante was my first step into the inspired world of Claude Bouchard. This spellbinding story kept me guessing until the very end.

A serial killer is busy with a variety of “projects”. You see, this serial killer is on a mission. He wants to rid Montreal of the vermin that keeps good people up at night. He exterminates a variety of criminals. They are the lowlifes that we love to hate; pimps, rapists, drug dealers- you get the idea.

Here is where conflict steps in. While most people feel that t
Dorothy
Claude is a fantastic guy, first of all. He's so sweet and nice... Vigilante is a great crime thriller. I highly recommend it.
Jody
I received this book for free from a contest on simonjenner.com and I really enjoyed it. I like vigilante justice. I like Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood and the idea that the law has failed us in respect to really putting away the guilty and so an ordinary man faces great obstacles and gets the justice he deserves. In Vigilante, the vigilante goes even further than exacting revenge for himself. He takes it upon himself to get revenge for those who have suffered at the hands of criminals. The ...more
Simon Jenner
A serial killer is on the loose in Montreal but his sights are only set on criminals. But this is more than just a vigilante thriller - it is a cleverly woven mystery with plenty of red herrings thrown in along the way to torment the reader. We are pointed towards one suspect but doubts creep in as the story progresses. Although I had my suspicions as to the vigilante's identity, I wasn’t 100% sure who it was until the last sentence. As soon as I realised that the identity of the vigilante was a ...more
Gracey Castro
Oct 12, 2011 Gracey Castro rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone that loves a fast paced, thrilling read
Recommended to Gracey by: Twitter buzz
When I first started this book I was amazed at how each page pulled me in more. Great start, intriguing middle and a shocking ending. What more can you ask of a great book.

Vigilante makes you side with him, relate and cheer him on. All of the characters come to life to make this story the grand thrill it is.

The Vigilante is a good mannered killer who just wants to clean up the streets without the red tape. McCall is the cop hot on his tail. Power, crime and justice never seemed so fascinating.

Th
Darlene Purcell
I personally found the IDEA of a Vigilante STOPPING a crime before the victim is abused, punishing the criminal in a way that they will NEVER hurt anyone again, FASCINATING!

Cold Blooded Killer or Knight in Shining Armor? I thought the identity of the killer was obvious from the start, was surprised when I began to doubt who it was. Again and again I revised my ideas and finally just gave in and read the story allowing it unfold in its own way.

Claude Bouchard has woven a complex theme with very r
Sheri
Vigilante (Claude Bouchard)

Set in Montreal Lieutenant Dave McCall, the head of the special task force is on a mission to find a killer. This killer calls himself the "Vigilante" and he kills those who he feels deserved to die. He targets murderers, rapists, the meanest killers around.

He teams up with Chris Barry who runs a security firm in computer communications. He is an expert in the computer field. Together they try to stay a step ahead of this killer and try to bring him down before he stri
Carly Kirk
Not too bad

If I could, I would have given this 3 1/2 stars. It wasn't the best and it wasn't the worst crime/mystery I've read. The author tried for a twist ending, but something about the number of red herrings and the way they were written led me to figure out who the Vigilante was - and I'm not the type that usually even tries to figure that out.

I own the next two books in the series, so I'm going to read them and hope the author's writing grows a little more mature.
Bret
I made it a habit to not read authors that spew hate and vitriol. (Source)

from: Claude Bouchard
to: "info@tuebl.com"
date: Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM
subject: IMPORTANT NOTICE
I learned of your pirating site by chance on Facebook and was dismayed to not that you have eight of my books up. Eight! I will not fill out your fucking forms to have them removed, you goddamned, motherfuckers! You are fucking thieves who are robbing me and many other authors who are trying to earn a living with their har
Wayne
A thoroughly enjoyable debut novel from Claude Bouchard.

Canada, 1996 and the head of Montreal’s Special Homicide Task Force, Lt Dave McCall is chasing his tail trying to find a serial killer. Killing after killing, leaving drug dealers, murderers, rapists and gangbangers dead, leaves the task force clueless, until an untraceable email from someone claiming to be the ‘Vigilante’ gives them a heads-up.

Chris Barry, a young and talented security expert, who is the CEO of an International Security Co
Miranda  McHenry
I think I have a new favorite serial killer! I can't really say much about him without spoiling the story. It will simply suck you in and you won't be able to put it down until you finish!

Claude has an amazing way to tell his stories and I can't wait to read more of his work!
David Bowers
Great addition to his series of mysteries. All true mystery fans should 'discover' Claude before Hollywood does. "The book is always better!"
Susannah Morgan
Bouchard keeps you guessing until the last page! Vigilante has a nicely twisted plot line and believeable characters...a very good read!
Glynis Smy
I was hooked from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am happy to recommend it as a good read.
Cristyn West
Just read the first 29 pages. Impressed. Very Impressed :-)

Just finished it. My opinion has not changed #impressed
Erica Glass
I love reading about vigilantes, so I thought I'd really love this book. There were just too many weird errors to get me to go past 10% (kindle).

The first almost victim in the bar is described as 5'4 and a previous model. Unless she modeled kids' clothes...there's no way a modeling agency would hire someone "short" (I use that term loosely, I'm only 5'0). She also says "oh well life in the 90s" a bunch of times which got annoying. The cop also said "it's in my blood" a bunch of times, also anno
Grace
A thriller for sure. Watch out for the language...
Jeff Benham
Very good first novel for this author. The title pretty much gives the plot line away. Someone is out there eliminating really bad guys. The newspaper reporter is getting the information as quick as the cops and the Vigilante gains a lot of public support. Most of the book focus' on two different perpetrators which leaves you to waver between the two. I only gave the book 4 stars because I identified fairly early on and wasn't convinced away from that, so the surprise ending wasn't much of a sur ...more
Jim A
First novel of a series that I unfortunately have been reading out of order.

Bouchard does an excellent job of hiding the Vigilante's identity from the reader and throwing several red herrings in to keep the mystery alive.

As mentioned, I read some of the stories out of order and although this book does not end in a cliffhanger, if one does take the time to read book 2, The Consultant, the motivation behind the acts of the Vigilante are laid out.

At about 250 pages, this is a pretty quick read.
T.W. Barton
I first read this book 3 years ago and loved it. I quickly bought the next 4 books in the series which I chewed through in over the next 3 weeks. I just started re-reading the series which is a mark for good books.

I'm a huge action/thriller fan and in particularly the vigilante genre. This book ticks all the boxes of what makes a good action/thriller book. Bad guys, cops, murder, and a vigilante.

I couldn't put this book down. Vigilante, Chris Barry is not some psychopathic serial killer. He's a
Nevermore
Despite numerous flaws, I am hooked on the series. I have read the first three and am into the fourth. The flaws are now becoming chasms and if things don't get a bit better, four will be the last for me.
Plus: the locale! Love the Montreal setting (although the author seems to have dealt with the Quebec nationalist issue by writing as though there is no French presence in Montreal whatsoever aside from street names. Somewhat disconcerting).
The plot! It was fun (I just view the violence as comic
Philip
This is my first book by Claude Bouchard and it is part of my Series by Canadian Authors project. I found it an OK read with a bit of a different premise and some interesting characters and of course the Montreal setting should have made it a much better book than I judged it to be. But I have a few problems with Vigilante, some perhaps a bit nitpicky but some fairly major and at least one outright error!
Although at first I thought this book must have been published in French and later translate
Holly Christine
Claude Bouchard writes smart crime fiction. His first work in the series, Vigilante, is packed with maximum velocity, page-turning thrills.

The Vigilante himself is on a killing spree, racking up sixteen murders in six months. His victims are the other bad guys: rapists and domestic violence offenders. Really, no one is missing the victims of the Vigilante. But in his efforts to clean up the streets of Montreal, he develops a reputation himself: murderer.

While Lieutenant Dave McCall racks his br
Kristin Walcott Figueroa
Vigilante is a suspense novel designed to keep the reader guessing. As the title indicates, it is about a man who takes it upon himself to bring unsavory individuals to justice—in the form of death. At the start of the novel, the reader is given a glimpse into the past which sets the stage for the vigilante’s behavior. However, the actual identity of the vigilante is kept secret throughout the book.

The author introduces several characters that could easily be the killer. All of the suspects are
Jemima Pett
This is not a children’s book – it’s a crime novel, and the crimes are pretty violent. The first in the Barry/McCall series, it introduces us to Dave McCall, police investigator with a problem, and Chris Barry, Executive Vice President of a computer security firm who has a brilliant mind and a sense of moral justice. Barry offers his firm’s services when the police are baffled by the cyber aspects of a series of murders by someone who styles himself Vigilante, and a new crime fighting partnershi ...more
  • Ascension Day
  • K.A.R.M.A
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Pushed Too Far
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • Silver Justice
  • Sound of Blood
  • All for One
  • The Bet
  • Hope Road
  • A Rush to Violence (Fifth Avenue #5)
  • Grave Situation
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • Two Graves: A Kesle City Homicide Novel
  • Gray Justice (Tom Gray, #1)
  • The Wake of the Dragon: A Steampunk Adventure
  • The Prophet Motive
  • Disappear
*USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR*

I was born in Montreal, Canada, at a very young age, where I still live with my spouse, Joanne, under the watchful eye of Krystalle and Midnight, two black females of the feline persuasion. In a former life, I completed my studies at McGill University and worked in various management capacities for a handful of firms for countless years. From there, considering my ext
More about Claude Bouchard...

Vigilante (8 books)
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • Mind Games (Vigilante, #3)
  • The Homeless Killer (Vigilante, #4)
  • 6 Hours 42 Minutes (Vigilante, #5)
  • Discreet Activities (Vigilante, #6)
  • Femme Fatale (Vigilante, #7)
  • Thirteen to None (Vigilante, #8)
The Consultant (Vigilante, #2) Mind Games (Vigilante, #3) 6 Hours 42 Minutes (Vigilante, #5) Discreet Activities (Vigilante, #6) The Homeless Killer (Vigilante, #4)