Start by marking “Teaching What Really Happened: How to Avoid the Tyranny of Textbooks and Get Students Excited About Doing History (Multicultural Education Series)” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  264 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In this follow-up to his landmark bestseller, Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, Loewen once again takes history textbooks to task for their perpetuations of myth and their lack of awareness of todays multicultural student audience (not to mention the astonishing number of facts they just got plain wrong). How did people get here? ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Teachers College Press (first published August 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching What Really Happened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching What Really Happened

Shomeret
Oct 07, 2015 Shomeret rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, education
Sometimes it's omissions that are the textbook issue. Loewen mentions that high school history textbooks didn't include the fact that in the 18th century Wall Street was where slave owners went to sell the labor of their slaves, and others hired their labor. Since I lived in New York when I was in high school, learning this aspect of the history of Wall Street would have been a way for me to understand how slavery was integrated into urban New York society. Like most high school students, I thou ...more
Julie
May 06, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
An excellent starter book for teachers of American history.
Diz
Jul 28, 2015 Diz rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent guide on how to change history lessons from boring lectures into exciting discussion and projects that actually require students to think. A big focus is put on critically analyzing the received wisdom that we get in textbooks and history classes. The author challenges us to really think about what happened. With just a little though, you'll be surprised at how your thinking about American history will change. This is a must-read for teachers and parents.
Steve
Mar 30, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Loewen provides some good information in this text. He does reuse a bit more of his material from his earlier volumes than I would have lied to see, but it was useful to his point in most cases. He really seems to find Woodrow Wilson to have been a terrible person if an ok president. I find that an interesting point of view and one with which I generally agree.
Patrick
Apr 16, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it
Good book on education for social studies teachers. Loewen is at times a bit over the top, and is as biased as those he criticizes, however, there are some thoughtful questions throughout th e book. I read this with my social studies department, and it was the cause of several discussions regarding methods, philosophy of education, as well as bias. I would caution many a reader, as Loewen is not a historian and it shows on several of his foci, however, his arguments are well worth reading and an ...more
Kristen
Dec 27, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This book definitely opened my mind regarding the teaching of U.S. History-warts and all. A thought-provoking read.
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
My circumstances have changed considerably since I began reading this book in 2010. I realized as I finished reading this that I will likely never use the wonderful advice detailed here. Loewen is great about stating the problem and explaining why its a problem while at the same time, guiding the reader to several possible corrective practices. While some of the book focuses on high school students, it is still applicable to first and second year students. I highly recommend this book for Histor ...more
Mikey Connor
May 23, 2015 Mikey Connor rated it it was amazing
An amazing guide to teaching in general but as the book progresses it shifts its focus onto the specifics of teaching history. It does a wonderful guide of bringing to light some of the flaws and outright hypocrisies of many modern textbooks and emphasizes the importance of historiography. The later parts of the book focus mainly on race relations and many of the injustices still present in the way we ignore or glaze over the unpleasant and even ugly moments of our nations past.
Casey
Dec 25, 2014 Casey rated it really liked it
Good reading for history teachers.
Miroku Nemeth
Sep 02, 2011 Miroku Nemeth is currently reading it
James Loewen's "Lies My Teacher Told Me" is perhaps one of the most important books that people of conscious could read today and have in their library (next to Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States"). In this book, Loewen gives us more material to fight in these culture wars that are becoming so important today in the midst of the fear mongering and regressive politics of fear that is gripping some very vocal and very angry segments of American society.
Yveva
Nov 23, 2009 Yveva rated it it was amazing
Snappy, to the point, engaging and immediately useful! Encouraging to see that many things I do are already on the right track and helpful to get some ideas for stretching myself and my students. Also some good arguments to use with resistant parents. Biggest surprise, loewen mentions the idea of having an advanced and regular stream within the same class! I am not alone in thinking this can be beneficial and worthwhile!!
Jen
May 25, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Oh James Loewen, how I wish I could actually sit in one of your classes. His books actually get me excited about teaching history, because they make you feel like you can actually teach history the way its meant to be taught within the confines of the current public school education system...and that you can actually get middle and high school kids excited about history.
Brian
An excellent book for teachers of history at any level.

Harley
Jun 27, 2011 Harley rated it liked it
this book was great, it really shed some light on the issues involved in history and who/what is recorded/taught. I think that any teacher should read this book, because it may just change the way you perceive your youth and your profession!
Zerthimon
Aug 18, 2012 Zerthimon rated it really liked it
Like his previous work, Lies My Teacher Told Me, this is a wonderfully uncompromising look at how history is and should be taught. However, it's almost entirely focused on the US context. I wish there was a version for Canadian teachers.
Mr. Locker
Jul 16, 2010 Mr. Locker rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching, history
This book is part a great history lesson for me and part inspiration for teaching history how I consider the right way. It is not bogged down in methodology and sample lessons etc..., but rather about an approach to how history can best be done.
Dave Senderoff
Jun 04, 2013 Dave Senderoff rated it it was amazing
To all of those who think a standardized testing environment has anything to do with actually teaching someone something, please read this book.
Beckie
Jul 18, 2013 Beckie marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: teaching
Moving to DNF simply because I don't feel the content in this book is giving me any valuable information that I don't already know.
Sara
Feb 20, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Great for history teachers to read and just another reason why American history textbooks push a myth instead of reality.
Tikifire
Oct 27, 2014 Tikifire rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, good resource for teachers. There is some bias, but he makes some good points.
Don
Jan 17, 2015 Don rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, teacherman
It's good... Better than "Lies my Teacher Told Me."
Allison
Dec 12, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: education-grad
Not as good as "Lies my Teacher Told Me."
Jennifer Lichtenwalner
Jennifer Lichtenwalner marked it as to-read
Zack Gottesman
Zack Gottesman marked it as to-read
MFCOMMAND
MFCOMMAND marked it as to-read
Lynn L.  Ashburn
Lynn L. Ashburn rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Kerrie Johnson
Kerrie Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Miss.tonic
Miss.tonic marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Castor
Castor marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Ryan Montgomery
Ryan Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
  • American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation
  • Eight Theories of Religion
  • Mightier Than the Sword: Uncle Tom's Cabin and the Battle for America
  • Robert Morris: Financier of the American Revolution
  • Historical Thinking and Other Unnatural Acts: Charting the Future of Teaching the Past (Critical Perspectives on the Past)
  • The Violence of Organized Forgetting: Thinking Beyond America's Disimagination Machine
  • The Great Agnostic: Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought
  • The Civil War as a Theological Crisis
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Commonwealth
  • Culture Matters: How Values Shape Human Progress
  • The Age of the Spirit: How the Ghost of an Ancient Controversy Is Shaping the Church
  • Gilles Deleuze & Félix Guattari: Intersecting Lives
  • The Twilight of the American Enlightenment: The 1950s and the Crisis of Liberal Belief
  • Sweet Land of Liberty: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in the North
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • Cultural Resistance Reader