Start by marking “Big Jack (In Death, #17.5)” as Want to Read:
Big Jack (In Death, #17.5)

Big Jack (In Death #17.5)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  5,967 ratings  ·  199 reviews
In New York City in 2059, someone is pursuing missing gems from a decades-old heist…someone who's willing to kill for them. Sharp-witted and sexy, NYPSD Lieutenant Eve Dallas is used to traveling in the shadowy corners outside the law. And in a future where crime meets cutting-edge technology, she will attempt to track down the diamonds once and for all-and stop the danger ...more
Published February 23rd 2010 by Berkley (first published September 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Big Jack, please sign up.

Sarah I just started reading this book, and it says, on page 20 of the paperback, "Summerset...was spending ten days at a recuperation spa off-planet -- at…moreI just started reading this book, and it says, on page 20 of the paperback, "Summerset...was spending ten days at a recuperation spa off-planet -- at Roarke's insistence. His holiday after breaking his leg hadn't put all the roses back in his cheeks."

So I guess he went on vacation, came back, and then left again because he wasn't completely back to normal?(less)

Lynda Tatad
I got this as an ebook library request, not knowing it was a reprint of the 2nd half of the 2 part novel "Remember When". It has been awhile since I read that book, which tells of a daring jewelry heist that happened in the year 2004 (or somewhen along those lines) and how it relates to the daughter of one of the thieves living a clean life running an antique shop, who happened to have fallen in love with the jewelry company's investigator. They retrieved 3/4ths of the diamonds, but 1/4th remain ...more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Second part of a clever idea - linking a Nora Roberts contemporary suspense with a J D Robb In Death Novella through a fifty year old cold case. Intriguing concept, done well.
I missed this one on accident. I hate it when I do that!
Big Jack is an interesting novella that takes place in 2059 as part of the In Death series, but it is also a continuation of Hot Rocks, a contemporary romance written under the Nora Roberts pseudonym. I did read Hot Rocks and had some trouble with the slower pace after being so used to the constant action of the In Death books. I'm kinda glad I made it through so that I had some insight into Eve's latest homicide case. I think someone could definitely read Big Jack without touching Hot Rocks and ...more
BIG JACK is the sequel to HOT ROCKS (which I read a few weeks ago) and takes place about fifty years after the first book concludes. N.B. both these stories appeared together in a previous publication titled ‘Remember When’ and a few fans seem to be a little put out by this, as I had not read that book then these two separate stories were not a problem for me.

Sam is the granddaughter of the heroine of ‘Big Jack’, Laine Tavish. Sam has just published a book based on the experiences of her when th
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Big Jack is a continuation of Nora Robert’s Hot Rocks written in 2003. Though I read Hot Rocks, I don’t remember the storyline but was able to follow the Big Jack story.

Big Jack is a great read because I’m vested in Eve Dallas and Rourke because I like the psychology of the stories. Eva Dallas and her husband Rourke were both brutally physically and emotionally abused as children. Rourke became a criminal while Eve because a cop. They met at a funeral and fell in love.

Rourke, knowing he couldn’
Hmm, I've been told this isn't a favourite of very many. I like the story line here - murder and diamonds, seem to go together quite frequently. There's some funny scenes - Eve and Feeney - after Eve and Roarke had taken "a break".

Eve and Roarke "breaking the curse of the stairs" - as if!

What I don't like about the book is Peabody trying to find "her look" - seriously? Girl, you know what Eve is like and how much walking/running around you have to look forward to almost on a daily basis - no you
Part of Remember When.

Re-read, and no need to read Hot Rocks, the first part of Remember When, since even the event and case in Big Jack loosely tied to Hot Rocks. But maybe you will read Hot Rocks after read this book, just in case you want to know how all it began.

Eve still kick ass like before.
Peabody and McNab already become lovers, and Peabody become detective now.
Feeney have some funny moments when he realized Eve just got laid with the sexiest man on the universe.
And speak of the sex on t
Barbara ★
Apparently this is a reissue originally published in Remember When which I read but funny enough, didn't remember so I read it again. I loved it the second time as much as the first but give it a month or so and I'll forget again. Maybe I'll hang onto it and read it again someday.

It's your typical Eve Dallas and Roarke tale of crime in New York City in 2059. This time though she is chasing a maniac who kills for no reason while hunting down diamonds from a fifty year old heist. Interesting backs
4.5! Murder, Diamonds, and Family Secrets make for an entertaining story. Some funny scenes with Eve and Roarke--the recreation break, palming of diamonds (almost)! Peabody trying to find her look was great too.
Let me start by agreeing with those who are peeved that this novel is actually a reprint of half of the previously published, "Remember When." Like many fans, I hate the Nora Roberts republishes old books under new titles. It's a deceitful marketing tactic, and if I paid for s book I had already read, I would be PISSED. That being said, I had not read this novel, and I enjoyed the first half of it, "Hot Rocks." I don't think this continuation of the story is quite as engaging, but it was enterta ...more
Even though its title does not contain the words “In Death,” “Big Jack” is definitely a legitimate issue in that series. It falls chronologically in story line right after Robb’s seventeenth book, “Imitation in Death,” as it picks up barely a day after Peabody makes detective.

Most serious readers are aware of the importance of reading series books in their proper order. However, this book has a triple whammy attached to it in that regard. First, “Big Jack” falls almost in the middle of a well-es
Nola Arganbright
I have had this book for a while not realizing it was a part of the "in Death" series by J. D. Robb. I was so excited when I discovered another adventure from my favorite futuristic cop. Lt. Eve Dallas. This case revolves around a long ago jewelry heist. Two murders draw in Eve's team to solve the crime and be the voice of the victims.
I love the Eve and Roarke series. I enjoy the characters and Eve's tough exterior as she deals with the seamy parts of life. She is strong and on occasion we are
Steve Chaput
This is in a fashion the sequel to the Nora Roberts book, HOT ICE. Writing at Robb, the author picks up on the story of a diamond heist that occurred at the beginning of the 21st Century. I didn't feel that I had to go back and read the earlier book in order to get enough information to enjoy this one. Roberts/Robb plays fair and gives the reader enough of a backstory so that you aren't completely lost. There are some characters that appear in both.

When a woman house-sitting for a friend is brut
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I love the parts about Peabody trying to grow into who she is. The mystery was decent. I didn't read the other portion of the book that is referenced (Hot Rocks). I'll get around to it, but will give it a break between them.
Karol Harris
I liked this book. The little bit of sci-fi in the story line made it interesting enough for me to want to check out the series.
Delia Binder
The second half of Remember When (In Death, #17.5) by Nora Roberts Remember When, Nora Roberts Nora Roberts's "collaboration" with her J.D. Robb J.D. Robb pseudonym, is an Eve Dallas mystery set in 2060 New York City - and just what I read Nora Roberts for. Samantha Gannon, the adult granddaughter of Max and Lanie from Hot Rocks by Nora Roberts Hot Rocks, writes a book by the same name about the robbery that brought her grandparents together. While she's on a book tour, her friend who's housesitting for her is killed - in Samantha's home! Eve catches the case because her partner, ne ...more
Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

There have been several deaths, one of them at the home a successful writer who has just released a book concerning a decades old jewel theft. It just so happens that the jewels have never been recovered and someone wants them. Now Eve is on the trail of both who committed these murders as well as what happened to the jewels.

This is the J. D. Robb half of the book Remember When, which includes both a Nora Roberts part and a J. D. Robb part. The J. D. Robb portion was
A diamond heist over 50 years ago… all the people involved are dead… a quarter of the diamonds not found when the rest were…

When author Samantha (Sam) Gannon was almost home from her 2 week book tour, a hugely successful tour as well, she was incredibly relieved. A hot bath, a glass of wine, all communication off for two days…she was going to rest, chill out! But entry into her home put paid to those plans, and the shock and horror of the next few hours, with Lieutenant Eve Dallas, and newly ba
Liza Wiemer
Big Jack is part of J.D. Robb's IN DEATH series. This one involved a diamond heist case that happened 50 years before (but remember the IN DEATH series begins in 2059), which Nora Roberts writes about in HOT ROCKS. I haven't read HR, so eventually I'll get to that one. Like all books in this series, Eve has a murder or murders to solve. This was a fast read. Not my favorite of the series, but worthwhile.

Without a doubt, I continue to be hooked. Eve and Roarke are my favorite novel couple!
Whatever you do, don't read this before reading Nora Roberts's Hot Rocks or as it was first published, Remember When. Spoilers with a capital S, and way too few blanks to fill in between them, if you do. I was lucky. I found them side by side and was able to cautiously check cover blurbs and pub dates. In fact, I might recommend waiting a bit and reading something different in between them. That would let the retold details become reminders rather than feeling as repetitious as they felt reading ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Lieutenant Eve Dallas of NYPSD current case is about 50 year old bank heist of stolen Russian Diamonds. Someone is willing to kill to find the diamonds because they are owed to the killer. Samantha Gannon is best selling authorof Hot Rocks never dreaming her life is about to turn upside down. Detective Peabody is trying to find her stride as partner with Dallas. Roarke seems to know what Eve needs before she does which is fascinating to her and him. What will Eve gain by searching the past for c ...more
This book took me back into the Eve Dallas series as I somehow missed it in the line up. It was interesting to go back to one year in on the Dallas/Roarke relationship and see how far they have come.

The story itself was solid. There wasn't much mystery as the culprit is revealed early on. The fun was in seeing the trail of evidence lead directly to the guilty party. Enjoyable read.
Mariana Bezerra
This is only a novella but it actually took me awhile to really get into the story, maybe because this is book two and I had no idea at first, but Eve was very fast in discovering the killer and following the evidences. I just never really got to the case, I think.

This is the follow up in a heist case od diamonds and a quarter was disappeared for years, but now one of the heirs decided to write a story and a crazy person is killing to get information and steal the diamonds. So Eve is following t
This book is also the last part of the author's book "Remember When". (written as Nora Roberts)
It's a future mystery, based on the first part of Remember When. One of the characters is the granddaughter of the two main characters of Remember When.

Fifty-odd years in the future, the granddaughter writes a novel based on a famous jewel heist and the mystery surrounding it that has become a legend in her family--a mystery that her grandparents solved. The novel is a best-seller, but unfortunately,
When I finished Hot Rocks and saw there was a "sequel" I was really excited. However, I was bummed that it was part of the JD Robb Eve Dallas series and that E.D. was the main character, not the granddaughter of the characters from the previous book. I think it would have been a whole lot more interesting if it would have been written from that point of view w/ a romance thrown in. That being said, I can see the draw of writing it this way. However, the book was boring, predictable, and not very ...more
Janet L. Hage
Mesmerizing sci-fi murder mystery

With most of your favorite characters from J D Robb's Eve Dallas collection, Eve stands up for the dead and catches the bad guy with the help of her friends. This like her other books in the series is for adults due to sexual content and violence.
A great page-turner. Another great read. Fast-paced with suspense, humor, emotions, truly evil bad guy, some fashion, great personalities and characters, hold-your-breath scenes, a treasure hunt, and a good ending for all. A good anytime read that keeps you on your toes and feeling for the characters. Enjoy!
This stalled at points. Inarticulate characters. Almost predictable. Gave away too much detail too soon. No hidden agenda. Or have I gotten better at deciphering these whodunnits? Dunno... Roarke was better than ever.
Warning 2 55 Sep 16, 2013 10:04AM
  • Hot Rocks
  • Hades
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Absent Friends
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery, #2)
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Chasers
  • Bleak History
  • Hunter's Moon
  • American Passage: The History of Ellis Island
  • As Dog is My Witness (Aaron Tucker Mystery #3)
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“Do you remember the first time we made love?" He touched his lips to hers as he said it. "We rode up in the elevator like this and couldn't keep our hands off each other, couldn't get to each other quick enough. I was mad for you. I wanted you more than I wanted to keep breathing. I still do." He deepened the kiss as the elevator doors opened. "It's never going to change.” 129 likes
“You have to be naked with somebody for more than two hours for them to qualify as an ex. It’s a law.” 0 likes