Start by marking “Lovingly Alice” as Want to Read:
Lovingly Alice

Lovingly Alice (Alice Prequels #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  683 ratings  ·  39 reviews
There are good years and bad years for kids . . .

. . . and fifth grade is turning out to be a bad one for Alice. Her teacher, Mrs. Swick, never smiles. A good friend moves away. Her plan to find a stepmother is a total failure. And then something happens that's so terrible it makes Alice mad at the entire world.

But then her brother, Lester, breaks his leg, and Alice di
Published March 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lovingly Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovingly Alice

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterEclipse by Stephenie Meyer
Best Teen Girl Books
264th out of 1,243 books — 1,796 voters
Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally CarterI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterOnly the Good Spy Young by Ally CarterDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally CarterTrading Faces by Julia DeVillers
Rockin' books read as a child
33rd out of 132 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Naylor has an uncanny knack for capturing the words and thoughts of a ten-year-old. Alice's conversations with her friends about periods and sex were almost VERBATIM the talks that I had with my own friends back when I was in fifth grade.

*SPOILERS*

Alice's story is episodic in nature, but that works for the age level to which this book was written. And her life isn't all sunshine and roses. In this book she has to deal with the death of her cat (sad!) and the loss of a friend. Her joys and hearta
Audrey
I read this book when I was 8, so I kind of thought it was a terrible book for telling me how babies were made. So don't read it when you're 8! :) But looking back on it, it was a decent book and I like Alice so 3 stars. I don't really remember it because I read it a while ago now...
Betsy
If I had a daughter, Naylor's Alice series is one that I would encourage her to read. Perhaps one of these days I'll buy the entire set for my nieces. I greatly admire Naylor for continuing to make the Alice books readable and interesting after writing so many of them.
Marietje
Lovingly Alice is a delightful book about the trials and triumph of a ten year old girl over one school year (fifth grade). Alice struggles with regular issues of her age, friendships, talk about sex and periods, a pet dying, her relationship with her older brother etc. Naylor uses simple language and and clears up misunderstandings by having Alice talk to the adults in her life and her friends. I thought the book was very age appropriate and treats the problems of fifth grade girl lovingly and ...more
Yapha
Although I have read many books in the Alice series, I specifically picked up this one because I had recently read some objections to graphic descriptions in the book. Since we have this in my library, I wanted to see for myself. Alice is in 5th grade in this book, and it is a year of changes for her. Changes, whether they are good or bad, are always uncomfortable. One of the changes that happens is that her good friend Rosalind is the first of the girls in her class to get her period. Of course ...more
Molly the Librarian
Alice McKinley is on the verge of starting 5th grade, and things are totally up in the air.

This is supposed to be the year that she and her friends rule the school…but one of her friends suddenly moved away without saying a word. On top of that, Alice’s father is dating again, everybody’s talking about the birds and the bees, and an unexpected loss shakes the McKinley family to the core. Oh yeah, and the whole family is going to be MOVING at the end of the year!

Basically, Alice has a whole lot w
Lorry Chwazik
Fifth grade brings on its share of challenges for Alice - loss, disappearances, family tragedies, and A BOOK ON HOW BABIES ARE BORN. (You mean even the President is born this way? Even the POPE?) Naylor, as usual, precisely and charmingly nails the voice of a ten-year old in this third entry (actually the third prequel) in the series.
Lauren
If there weren't so many books on my to read list, I'd read every single one of the Alice books, which I really could've used as a kid. Suggest to fans of Lauren Myracle's series The Winnie Years, Judy Blume, and kids that fondly remember Junie B. Jones and Ramona books from when they were younger.
Danielle
5th grade! Life sucks! (but not really because she's a white kid in a middle class family) (view spoiler)
Helen
Another Alice book that a student and parent thought was inappropriate. In this one, one of Alice's friends gets her period and explains it all to the girls and they discuss how sex happens. It is all handled well with appropriate words, etc. Alice is in 5th grade and it seemed like questions girls would really have. I think this is a great series and since the kids have health films in 4th grade, this shouldn't be anything new for them. The parent didn't want her student reading about it and th ...more
Jackie
In this installment of the Alice series, Alice finds herself in 5th grade and sort of pessimistic about life in general. Her cat dies, her best friend Sara moves without telling her, and her brother breaks his ankle just before prom. But, Alice is resilient and confident about herself. Her dad and brother, Les are her confidants...even when she asks them about sex, menstruation, and relationships.

Lovingly Alice is a no-nonsense, realistic glimpse into the life of a 5th girl, one who is on the c
Tricia
Admittedly I picked this one up in order to see what all the hubbub was about objectionable material. Along the lines of Judy Blume, adolescent girls will enjoy learning about "girl stuff" that they may not be comfortable enough to speak to their parents about as a discussion centered around books in this Alice series. While I don't see that it was excessively graphic or descriptive, sensitive parents exist and therefore, it is recommended that parents with strict guidelines on their children's ...more
Samantha
A hard year for Alice in which one of her best friends moves away and her cat Oatmeal passes away due to a heart condition. At a slumber party, Alice and her friends learn a lot about their changing bodies after Rosalind in the first girl in their group to get her period. At the end of the book, Alice and her family prepare to move to Silver Springs.

On the whole, one of the shorter Alice books and probably my least favorite of the prequels, but it gets readers ready for The Agony of Alice.

Reco
Jenny
I read this because it was recently banned from a school library in Arizona. The headline I read about it said "Sexy" Children's Book Pulled from Library Shelves. Well, the book talks about sex (in a very clinical way) but it's certainly not "sexy." I remember reading Forever by Judy Blume in fourth grade and that was way more graphic than this book.
Talia
Alice’s fifth grade year starts out horribly; her friend Sarah has mysteriously moved away, her teacher never laughs or smiles, and her father starts dating.

This is a slightly heavier book, topic-wise, dealing with death and the good old “becoming a woman” plotline.
Lillian
Lovingly Alice is the last book in the prequel portion of the Alice series. I have to say: this book was great. It made me cry quite a bit: there are a few sad portions. However, it did end in a way that PAVED THE WAY for the rest of the series!
KyAnn
Its a pretty good book. I really enjoyed it. So far.. so good. Its about Alice's life in fifth grade. Yeah.... Alice had many troubles about school and home but she still manage to sort them out(almost everyone). XD ITS A GOOD BOOK! :)
Celine Parker
Another amazing addition to the Alice series. In Lovingly Alice, Alice is a fifth grader whose goals are to both find her father a date and grow up herself. She soon finds these challenges may be too much to handle.
Megan
This book was pretty good, I think it could have a little more in it. Some parts were a little boring. But a did like how there was a lot of surprises in it.I think the book could have been a little bit better over all.
=)shayla(=
It drew me in when Alices friend sara mysteriosly moved away, and then I was almost pushed away when Alice's father began dating. continuing on, the last Alice prequel was not my favorite, but it was good.
Christina Wilder
It's sad that these books have been banned/challenged because I think kids could really benefit from reading about religion, sex, death, and other aspects of life that adults usually try to hide from children.
Miri
I loved the first two, but this is my favorite yet. Alice deals with so much that is really good for kids to be exposed to, and I love the way she handles things like peer pressure.
Emma
Meh, This prequel was not as exciting or as memorable as the previous two but it was ok. Alice experiences the loss of her pet and the loss of a friend.
Caroline
Alice and her friends are starting to grow up. As they enter the fifth grade, they have to deal with disappearences, cuts, and sad goodbyes.
Chris
Cute, good for girls, but does nothing to change my mind about Alice not being the sharpest pencil in the case.
Pingdi
Funny series about a girl, Alice, who is trying to understand the meaning of preadulthood.
Terri
I've now read 4 "Alice" books. I'm good with reading the series. No need to read any more.
Nicole
Very good addition to the Alice series. I may have cried a lot during one point.
B
Third in the series...in 5th grade and moving from Takoma Park to Silver Spring.
stephanie
It's a really good book that tells how a kid gets through her school years.
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Pure Dead Trouble (Pure Dead #4)
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • The Year of the Rat
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Face the Music (Hannah Montana, #9)
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Please Write in This Book
  • The Emerald Princess Follows a Unicorn (The Jewel Kingdom, #11)
  • Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue: An Origami Yoda Book (Origami Yoda #5)
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles
  • Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up
  • Nicki
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • The USA (Horrible Histories Special)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...
Shiloh (Shiloh, #1) The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1) Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2) Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)