Start by marking “The Tactical Trainer (Training for the Fight): A Few Thoughts on Training and Training Management from a Former Special Operations Soldier” as Want to Read:

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The book is a training guide that addresses training and training development at the individual, team and organizational level.
Published July 22nd 2009 by AuthorHouse (first published October 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Tactical Trainer (Training for the Fight), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tactical Trainer (Training for the Fight)

Dan Smith
Sep 07, 2011 Dan Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one who is moved by the review
Recommended to Dan by: Rick Scooter
There seems to be no shortage of leadership books available to our self-help addicted society. How many people do you know who brag about having read "The Art of War"? This is not one of these types of books. I mention "The Art of War" because I find it helpful to draw parallels between life and battle. I find that if I approach my life's commitments and challenges like all-out warfare, I tend to get after it with aggression and a hunger for success.
If you feel the same, this book might be for
Randy
Cut and dry thoughts on leadership coming from someone who's been in a fight or two, meaning his colleague's have lived and died under his direction. I imagine that he's considered leadership and training more than most people. Doesn't mince many words which I appreciate. Personally, despite coming from a different point of view today, some of his words still come to mind from time to time and I like to reference the text.
Fresno Bob
should be titled "How I Deliver Tactical Firearms Training" because there was very little relevant to business here. Good "Black Hawk Down" stories though. Take out "Business" from the subtitle to not mislead please
Eric
Feb 15, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for military and Law Enforcement. The principals can help from day to day to your small or large business as well. Scenario 1 in the book is a true lesson which seems to have such an impact on me. In a much bigger spectrum but this read requires you to see both sides and adds views outside of the box - so to say. The scenario not only was their good and bad outlined. But there is a reprimand that had had to viewed on two sides all caused by the action taken. I am not wanting to spoil t ...more
Steve Rangoussis
May 26, 2010 Steve Rangoussis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in a leadership and/or training role
Master Sergeant Howe draws upon his field experience (Vietnam to Afghanistan) to provide real world examples on leadership and training that work even under the most extreme duress. Although this book is ideal for the warrior at the tip of the spear, leaders and trainers can benefit immensely by reading this book. The take away for any field is to train realistically and lead by example.

Don't wait for the next edition though, MSG Howe promises there will not be a politically correct second editi
Greg
Jul 10, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite a few grammatical errors, this is a great read. the author combined his accounts of real life battles with after action reports, lessons learned and tips for training and leadership.It's a must read for any police or military officer aspiring to a leadership position. Anyone involved in training would also greatly benefit from reading it.
Gary Mahaney
Feb 08, 2015 Gary Mahaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Selection course common sense strategies for cadre enable efficient and effective critical examination of an applicant.

Excellent safety and integrity principles for leaders and their subordinates.
Thoughtfully examines the common pitfalls of even the most well intentioned but ambitious leader.
Greg
Jul 10, 2011 Greg rated it liked it
Pretty good overall. The book has nuggets of greatness, but the reader will have to siphon through some prose that doesn't always flow well to find them. A large portion of the book consists of the author's lesson plans for various courses.
Matt
Feb 04, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't skip over a single word in this book. MSG Paul Howe has written one of the best books on leadership for all applications that has ever been written.
Nathan Eckman
Oct 25, 2012 Nathan Eckman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'll learn some excellent leadership traits from a former spec-ops agent.
Ryan
Nov 30, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on leadership, can't wait to read Howe's new one on tactical leadership
Mike Funk
Mike Funk rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Brian Sr
Brian Sr rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Andreas
Andreas rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Xavier Palacios
Xavier Palacios rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
James Morenz
James Morenz rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Ethan Kaiser
Ethan Kaiser rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Wachirawit Singruang
Wachirawit Singruang marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Jared Derby
Jared Derby rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Billy Folinusz
Billy Folinusz is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Paulo Marcondes
Paulo Marcondes rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Shane Yeap
Shane Yeap rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
David Yaussy
David Yaussy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Mmthomas
Mmthomas marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
  • Warrior Mindset: Mental Toughness Skills for a Nation's Peacekeepers
  • Sharpening the Warriors Edge: The Psychology & Science of Training
  • Moving Mountains: Lessons in Leadership and Logistics from the Gulf War
  • Terror at Beslan: A Russian Tragedy with Lessons for America's Schools
  • Decision at Sea: Five Naval Battles That Shaped American History
  • On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace
  • Patriot Battles: How the War of Independence Was Fought
  • The War Nerd
  • The Command: Deep Inside The President's Secret Army
  • Terror and Consent : The Wars for the Twenty-First Century
  • The Nazi Dictatorship: Problems and Perspectives of Interpretation
  • Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence
  • The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World
  • Stalin's Children: Three Generations of Love and War
MSG Paul R. Howe is a retired US Army Delta Force operator. Serving in the Army for more than 20-years, he is a veteran of the Battle of Mogadishu, popularized in the book BlackHawk Down. Howe is the recipient of the Bronze Star with V Device for Valor.
Since retiring from the Army, Howe has remained active in the professional tactical community, operating a training company, Combat Shooting and T
More about Paul R. Howe...

“Currently our society tends to churn out individuals that tend to ask the system, “What are you going to give or do for me?” We see this attitude all around us. Self-serving individuals concerned with their personal comfort and welfare beyond the norm. These individuals expect the system to take care of them at all costs. When I run across one of these individuals, it makes me want to puke. This attitude is damn near a form of communism.” 2 likes
“I have never bought into the bullshit theory of acceptable losses. We have the technology, the talent, the aggressiveness, and the expertise to bring more of our warriors home than ever before. Our combat, military, and political leaders choose to be mediocre at their jobs. That is as simple as I can put it.” 1 likes