Start by marking “Criminal, Tome 3 : Morts en sursis” as Want to Read:
Criminal, Tome 3 : Morts en sursis

Criminal, Tome 3 : Morts en sursis (Criminal #3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,915 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Winner of the Eisner Award for Best New Series, and Winner of the Harvey and Eisner Awards for Best Writer! The third collection of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' critically-acclaimed noir series follows a different twist of the knife this time -- telling three interlinking stories that take place during the early 1970s and swirl around the fate of a hard-luck Femme Fatale ...more
98 pages
Published 2009 by Delcourt (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Criminal, Tome 3 , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Criminal, Tome 3

Kemper
Just when I thought Ed Brubaker’s Criminal comic series couldn’t get any better, he sets a story back in the ‘70s that had me humming the Shaft theme song while I was reading it.

The main story revolves around a black boxer and his white gangster friend. The two grew up together because their fathers built a criminal empire together, but their friendship has been on a shaky ground since there was some ugliness involving Danica, a beautiful woman they both fell for. Brubaker tells the main story o
Brandon
Aug 20, 2013 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix, fiction, noir, 2013, marvel
The third volume of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips’ Criminal series contains three interlocking tales all revolving around Danica, a beautiful but ultimately flawed woman.

With this volume, you’re beginning to see their universe take shape. There are characters resurfacing, settings reappearing and themes continuing. With Brubaker, the writing, as always, is top-notch and his consistent collaborator Sean Phillips brings it home with his excellent style.

With the Criminal series, Brubaker and Philli
Patrick
Jan 08, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I start reading one of Brubaker's Criminal books, and its so compelling that I start to think, "Yeah. This is awesome. Bad guys. Dirty streets. Heists. I could write something like this."

Then I keep reading. And it's so good. And then it gets even better, and I realize that no, I couldn't write something like this. Not in a decade of hard trying.
Pamela
Wow, that was the darkest one in the series yet. I need to go watch about four straight hours of baby sloth videos to cheer myself up.

Seth
Nov 08, 2015 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume wasn't quite as good as the other two, although it was nice to learn a bit of background on "Gnarly". He is one of the more likable characters after all. All in all even though it's not a five star read, it's still pretty damn good. This series is a must read!
Tariq Bokahri
May 24, 2015 Tariq Bokahri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
a great read with well imagined characters the evolve beautifully but the end of some of these characters left me a bit unsatisfied.
Sesana
Jan 30, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entry in Brubaker's Criminal series. This one is set in the late 60s-early 70s, and gives you some backstory about a few of the characters seen in prior books. There's three interlinking stories here, each telling part of a larger story. We have the sort of cast you'd expect in a volume of Criminal, all shady characters with compelling stories. The real star is Danica, the lady on the cover. Everything that happens revolves around her and her heartbreaking story. If nothing else, she's t ...more
Christopher
Aug 31, 2008 Christopher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature Audience, Ed Brubaker fans, and mafia story buffs.
Recommended to Christopher by: Self - through normal advertisement.
This was an interesting graphic novel. I first have to say that this book is not for the faint of heart and it is definitely for mature audiences.

Joe Singleton sums it up pretty good in his introduction, "He and Brubaker take us to another place and we are like voyeurs to a world that none of us would want to live in. It's dangerous, seedy and sexy...and you know what? We dig it.

I do not know why I am drawn to stories that involve the underground drug rinks, organized crime, and the mafia, but
Morgan
Apr 12, 2015 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in one day I liked it so much. Actually this one might be the quickest of the Criminals s far because it's only 3 issues. However, I really liked how this arch was set up. Each part kind of tells the same story, but from a different perspective. We get a good sense of each character and there background as well (like in most of Brubaker's books).

I think in this volume my favorite character was Danica. She reminded me of the females character that I like Brubaker writing about. I liked
Michael Giuliano
Aug 12, 2015 Michael Giuliano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Engrossing, Brubaker and Phillips are masters at keeping a reader interested and invested in a story. Cool to see how all of the books start to tie together, and now I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Drown Hollum
Jun 02, 2014 Drown Hollum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say much more about how well Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips work together. They really are a golden team in funny books, and Criminal is a shining shrine to their synergy. Volume three tells a 70s period story from three different points of view. The content is harsh and the characters are stunningly realized, with the whole plot contained in three oversized issues. Brubaker's talent for succinctness makes these volumes incredibly sweet, guaranteeing a whole story in each volume, a promis ...more
Wayne McCoy
Apr 05, 2015 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Criminal Vol. 3: The Dead and the Dying' is the third reprinted volume in the Harvey and Eisner award winning series. Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips are two of my favorite comic creators these days and this glimpse at their previous work shows why.

There are three separate stories in this volume, but they all interconnect. They involve a crime family, a woman who gets involved with them, and a Vietnam vet who needs money and goes to extreme measures to get it. The stories weave back and forth acr
Michael
Jan 26, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The one and done-ish format of this collection worked really well. My favorite of the series so far.
Edward Rathke
This one is better than the last volume, but it's still not as good as the first. I like how it's sort of folding in on itself, but I think I may just be over hardass dudes being hardasses and women being dames and dolls and so on.

I think I'm done with this series, unless there's a good reason to read the next three. It's fine enough noir, but I'm just not into it. Maybe I would like it more if I hadn't been reading Fatale, which takes noir and turns it Lovecraftian, which is so very cool. Could
Wei Lien Chin
May 21, 2015 Wei Lien Chin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Criminal isn’t a series about happy endings. If you are into that sort of thing, turn back now.

It’s been three volumes anyway. If you don’t already know that about the series, then you haven’t been reading carefully. Brubaker’s crime noir series is darker than dark, and Sin City literally has nothing on the shit hole that is Center City. Dog-eat-dog doesn’t even begin to describe the mean streets here, but that’s just the way I like it.

I like my crime noir, but only in small dosages. Thankfull
Christopher
Not nearly as good as the previous two volumes, mostly due to this being three interconnected stories instead of a single ongoing story. Due to this, while I was very curious about Danica when she is first mentioned early in the first story, I felt like I knew what I needed to about her when her story finally rolled around at the end. The other story didn't have quite the same issue, as the lead was new, but we'd already seen the context for the event he was taking part it, so the tension wasn't ...more
David Schaafsma
I didn't like this third one quite as much as the previous two. This one is an attempt to recall the blaxploitatio period of the seventies.The story is good, and as with all the whole series contributes to building a world, a world of criminals from the sixties/seventies, a nor world. The art here feels not quite as good as the first two, not sure why, maybe a little too vague, sloppy, compared to the first two. But it's a good world, brutal, sad, good storytelling from Brubaker. Three more to g ...more
Justin
Jul 09, 2010 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writer Ed Brubaker and artist Sean Phillips deliver another one-two punch of crime noir in this third volume of their critically-acclaimed series, CRIMINAL.

In "The Dead and the Dying," Brubaker takes a decidedly SIN CITY-esque move by providing three vignettes of characters newly and previously introduced in other stories from the series. Here, though, the stories are wound together a little more tightly than Frank Miller did with his classic noir series, and the result is what keeps this collec
Sam Quixote
Sep 18, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lifelong friendship ending in tragedy. A botched abortion. Robbing a drug cartel. Abused families. Traumatised Vietnam soldiers. Addiction, pain, hardship, death.

Yup, it's another cheerful book from Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Taking place in the late 60s/early 70s, the three stories presented here feature a prizefighter sidelining as a heavy for a drug dealing friend, a Vietnam vet who needs to pay off his gambling debts or his family gets it, and a prostitute looking for revenge. They ov
Elgalla
Jun 02, 2015 Elgalla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three interlinking stories revolving around Gnarly (whom we've seen in previous volumes as the owner of The Untertow), Teeg Lawless (whom we've learned about in Lawless) and Danica, a black girl with a score to settle. We also got to see more of Sebastian Hyde and his criminal empire. Getting all the PoVs in this story worked really well because Gnarly, Teeg and Danica were all very different characters with very different voices. Overall, another great volume in the series.
Cale
Jan 24, 2014 Cale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume isn't as strong as the other volumes, because it's three inter-related character arcs rather than one central story. So the characters don't seem as deep. They're not bad; it's still very good modern noir, but in contrast to the other books, the stories just aren't as strong. A heavyweight boxer who grew up with the crime lord's son; the girl he gave up to his friend, and another random gunman who ends up intersecting with them. Each is a decent character, but it's just not as dense ...more
Bryce Holt
Aug 11, 2014 Bryce Holt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still a solid series, but I have a feeling that where redemption and hope once had a place in the story line, all now is lost. There's just a feeling of misery that carries throughout this group of thugs, druggies and victims, and it's tough to know if there's anyone to route for. Scratch that...no one is worth routing for.

Brubaker is tying a pretty intricate story together, but keeping committed when things are this down isn't easy.
Mambabasang Miong
Oct 18, 2015 Mambabasang Miong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ed Brubaker takes us back to the 70s with 3 crime stories revolving around a black woman named Danica. More of a love tragedy than a heist, The Dead and the Dying combines heist cliches with a love story. The result is a nicely done story you have seen or read before. Volume 3 further expands the criminal world and makes the interconnection between the characters more personal.
Mel
I thoroughly enjoyed this Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips just have a wonderful way of writing pulp that feels like part of the noir tradition updated for comic books. I loved the style of this one. I loved the sympathetic criminals. I enjoyed the way the story was told from three different viewpoints each adding a further dimension to the story. Definitely recommended.
Paul Allard
Mar 30, 2015 Paul Allard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another brutal, gory and sexy comic book collection about crooks and the underworld.

Reminiscent of his run on Daredevil, Ed Brubaker brings us inter-related stories of drug barons, small-time crooks and the criminal world. A lot of sex, dead bodies, beatings and maimings ensue.

The artwork and story-writing are powerful and I’d recommend this to all lovers of crime stories.
Gavin
Sep 01, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Yet more great work from Brubaker and Phillips, the best team in the biz of crime noir.
This version takes us back to the 70s, to focus on 3 characters who will shape the characters we saw in Coward and Lawless.
Jake, the boxer and later the bartender at the Underground, and how he ended up as he did.
Teeg Lawless, the Vietnam Vet turned to crime, and how he ended up the way he did (he is the father of the main character in Lawless).
Danica - a woman tied to many of the characters and the tragedy o
Tom
Oct 12, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geez, the last story in this collection was brutal, bleak stuff.

I do like the way all these stories are starting to weave together. They share characters, events and of course The Undertow bar. That really fleshes out this world, as grim and gritty as it is.
Anchorpete
Jun 24, 2012 Anchorpete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know when you watch 'Lost' and you jump up a little bit, because you see a character from the Island popping up in Someone else's backstory?

That is the Best part of Criminal. The fictional city that Brubaker made just for this story is a small one. Characters from each story arc pop in and out of each other's stories and in many cases, play a huge role in a characters fate/downfall.

Is Criminal being optioned for a tv show? I have heard rumors. Lord knows, without 'The Wire' or 'The Sopranos'
Subroto
May 21, 2013 Subroto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up in India watching Bollywood movies - those musicals where everyone else happily goes into the background as the lead actor / actress dances in front.

I used to often wonder as a kid - who the hell does that ?

A simple game of cricket teaches you life. Everyone wants to bat first. Everyone wants to be the lead - supporting characters suck.

As you grow older you realize life is a funny bollywood musical where turn by turn everyone around you take the supporting role - including you.

In t
Carl
Feb 03, 2016 Carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the story first and then read the foreword by John Singleton. What Singleton points out in this volume made me chuckle. Brubaker can really write a good piece of crime fiction.
  • Scalped, Vol. 2: Casino Boogie
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score
  • Stumptown, Vol. 1
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 11: Once Upon a Crime
  • DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping
More about Ed Brubaker...

Criminal (6 books)