Start by marking “Sams Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours (5th Edition)” as Want to Read:
Sams Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours (5th Edition)

Sams Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours (Sams Teach Yourself Series)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Book by Cadenhead, Rogers
Published November 4th 2009 by Sams (first published September 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sams Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sams Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours

Michael
You get what you pay for. More of an overview of what Java can do rather than a true programming book.
Mohamed Sanaulla
If you are starting out learning Java, then this book is NOT for you. If you have programmed quite a bit in java then this book is NOT for you.

With the introduction above, let me start with the good points about the book:
1. A good amount of effort put in for Swing and AWT related concepts.
2. There are some exercise questions to follow after each chapter.
3. Gives some introduction on Android. This I think is good because as a beginner its appealing to know the adaption of Java language.

Now t
Jeff
"In just 24 lessons of one hour or less", claims the book, "you can learn how to create Java applications with the free NetBeans visual editing tools."

The book undoubtedly achieves its aims - as long as all you want to do is to type in the listings in the book and tweak those in small, relatively insignificant ways. It's not going to bring you fluidity in programming with Java but, then, it's perhaps unreasonable to expect that in 24 hours of effort.

Inevitably it lacks the kind of depth and deta
Adam Kim
Great Java book for beginners. Really does a good job with giving challenging but not impossible exercises to apply your knowledge after each ch.

Covers:

1.Java syntax
2.Basics of object oriented programming
3.creating threaded (trivial) applications
4.Java Applets
5.Java Swing
6.Using Web Services (Either with XML or JASON, cant remember which)
7.the beginning of Android Development with a very a basic description of the API and OS:
a.how the project is laid out
b.how the manifest file, other xml file
Seth Kenlon
I got this book for free, so I dropped out of the Java class I'd enrolled in and tried to teach it to myself. Sadly, the title is perhaps optimistic and it's been about 2 years and I've yet to fully grasp Java. Well, naturally I don't *actually* blame the book for it, but I will say that it's not the best programming book I've ever read. It's a good little intro, but its heavy bias towards Windows and its particular set of examples just didn't quite work for me. Could be that it'll work better f ...more
Telisha
Very good and detailed book.
Full of enough humor to keep you from being completely stupefied.
As a novice to this type of coding I can assure you that I will not be coding in Java in 24 hours.
However, if you have coding background then this is a great book that will get you coding in Java quickly.
I, on the other hand, will be moving slower. However, this has helped give me a few keys to get started.
Worth reading.
Alex
It was certainly not 24 hours for the newcomers to Java, but it was informational, it gave great tips, and far more easy to follow than most classes that I've taken.
Brian
Good resource for beginners - for the price.
Terri Jones
Java II course
Antimidas
Antimidas marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
ERHAN DEMİRBAŞ
ERHAN DEMİRBAŞ marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Steven
Steven is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2015
Vadims Metlovs
Vadims Metlovs marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Marlon
Marlon is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2015
Georgy
Georgy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Jill
Jill added it
Mar 28, 2015
Ritvika
Ritvika is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sachini De Mel
Sachini De Mel marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Edwin Lara
Edwin Lara marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Rogers Cadenhead is a Web developer and Linux Magazine columnist. He has written 16 books on Internet-related topics, including Sams Teach Yourself Java 2 in 21 Days and How to Use the Internet, Eighth Edition. He's also a Web publisher whose sites receive more than seven million visits a year.
More about Rogers Cadenhead...

Sams Teach Yourself Series (1 - 10 of 280 books)
  • Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache (Sams Teach Yourself)
  • Sams Teach Yourself Openoffice.Org All in One
  • Sams Teach Yourself Creating Web Pages All in One
  • Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft Windows Vista All in One
  • Sams Teach Yourself Windows XP All in One
  • Sams Teach Yourself Red Hat Fedora 4 Linux All in One [With DVD]
Sams Teach Yourself Java 6 in 21 Days Sams Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days (Covering Java 7 and Android) Sams Teach Yourself Java 2 in 24 Hours Sams Teach Yourself Programming with Java in 24 Hours Movable Type 3.0 Bible Desktop Edition