Start by marking “The Go-Getter Girl's Guide: Get What You Want in Work and Life (and Look Great While You're at It)” as Want to Read:

Every office has one – a Go-Getter Girl – someone who seems to just know certain stuff about how to get the plum jobs/lifestyleshe wants and damn, always looks great while she's at it. Magic? No, it’s about strategizing--and The Go-Getter Girl’s Guide shows you how.

Born out of interviews with hundreds of successful, stylish young women--including award-winning journalist

Published September 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Go-Getter Girl's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Go-Getter Girl's Guide

Emily
Mar 08, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Overall, it has a lot of clear, sound advice. What knocked off a star was it's absolute phobia of even implying that it's feminist (when it clearly is), it's use of the word 'vajayjay',and the advice to uses your 'femininity' in negotiation (when what really was meant was humility, the desire to lean, etc).

Still, I definitely recommend the book for young professional or soon to be professional women. I've already order a copy for a friend. I'll probably get a couple more to give out in a bit.
Jessica Lawlor
Oct 09, 2010 Jessica Lawlor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
I originally heard about this book over on Ms. Career Girl’s blog and I was so excited because I absolutely love books like this.

The Go-Getter Girl’s Guide by the wonderful Debra Shigley teaches young women how to succeed in the workplace and obtain the life they want and deserve. Sounds pretty simple, but it’s so much more than that.

What’s a Go Getter Girl (GGG)? Well, a GGG is someone who just seems to know exactly what to do to be successful. She always looks great, she gets the best assignme
Wendy
Apr 26, 2010 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Being a currently unemployed and newly admitted lawyer, I purchased this book on a whim, hoping it would provide me with some kind of insight and advice as to how to claw my way out of the depressing slump of not having experience and not being able to get any that I'm presently in.

This book is a really quick read, and it gives a broad overview of the work environment and what to expect as a mid-twenties professional woman. Basically, what I got out of this book is "Some women are Type A, and yo
Laura Hancock
Apr 02, 2013 Laura Hancock rated it really liked it
It was great -- except for the part of hair, clothes, makeup and working out. I feel like there are 10 million books on these personal beauty topics. I wish she would have stuck with the career advice for women. Also, at times she was just summarizing other books, like "Getting to Yes," so I put that book on my list to read. I felt like the book was three disjointed parts: The first part, which was excellent, giving advice about how to thrive in the working world and providing examples of real ...more
Kerry
May 27, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I wish I'd read this book (or that it was available, I should say) when I was in my early 20s as there is just a ton of great information in here. I was literally taking some notes as I read, thinking "oh that's a good idea" and "yes, I should do that." I did know a good chunk of the information in here as I'm probably older than the target audience but I still found it relevant and enjoyed the anecdotes. The writing style is very accessible and non patronizing, which I think is key for this ...more
Claire
Apr 22, 2010 Claire rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone who thinks life happens to us
Shelves: guides
Decently motivating if you've been sitting on your butt waiting for life to happen to you. Shigley does a good job of sharing simple tips at the beginning of the book, but as I got further into it I disliked how the vast majority of the women she mentioned were successful because they had taken a risk to become an entrepreneur then millionaire. There were few stories of the more everyday successful woman - the professor, doctor, executive, author, etc. As it is the book has merit, but I'm not ...more
Lisa
Feb 15, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
(Non-Fiction, Women-Career Development) Debra Shigley writes style and networking advice for 20 to 30-something women. Unfortunately, this book wasn't for me. My biggest problem with the book is the presentation of information. I think this book could done well with more bullet points, charts, etc... I recommend this book for women who are fans of the show Sex in the City. This book has the same chic, savvy flair that Sex in the City has.
Car
Oct 12, 2009 Car rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women 18 - 28
The Go-Getter Girl's Guide is a fun read! It is written for a younger audience, but both young and seasoned go-getter girls will gain some incredible insight from this well laid out book! Don't be afraid to pick this one up! For my full review, click below:

Veronica
Jun 05, 2012 Veronica rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Shigley did a good job providing examples and solutions to real-world corporate situations that women come across in the office. When I finished reading Go-Getter, I walked away with a different frame of mine and attitude that I carry into the office daily. This book was an easy read, straight to the point. I like that when it comes to career development reading.
Lauren
Sep 07, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Recent college grads, People interested in being a go-getter, Go-getters
This was an easy read and makes you think about some things that you may not have otherwise thought of. I recently graduated college and found this to be an interesting book for recent college grads who are interested in tips and types of go-getters out there.
Andrienne
Jan 17, 2011 Andrienne rated it liked it
I appreciated the author's segment on networking and schmoozing. Although her examples involve women in their late twenties, the information seems appropriate for recent grads than for seasoned career women.
Lisa Frame
Jan 16, 2010 Lisa Frame rated it it was amazing
What a quick read, but fantastic for women who feel the need to take better control of their career and life. It made so much sense and was nothing that I couldn't do.
Heather
Nov 20, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
Similiar message to other books in the genre but written in a younger voice as "metro chic". Should make for some good discussion points.
Christine
Jan 07, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women, business, success
This is a great motivating book, everyone should read this book. Whether or not you are going into business this book is for everyone.
Angeline
Mar 19, 2012 Angeline rated it it was ok
Not much new information, and a little heavy on anecdotes (limited applicability). "Workbook" sections were interesting but not consistent.
Jessica Mo
Jan 02, 2015 Jessica Mo rated it really liked it
Great for entry-level professionals! Provides useful tips on how to best approach work situations as a young professional.
S Johnson
S Johnson rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Jana Villanueva
Jana Villanueva rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Sinziana Ursu
Sinziana Ursu rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
Shanita
Shanita rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Lissette
Lissette rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Ann Kathleen
Ann Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Janine
Janine rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2010
E
E rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Deby Ouellette
Deby Ouellette rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Shunquetta Goins
Shunquetta Goins rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Kristin Delight
Kristin Delight rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2015
Nancy Wu
Nancy Wu rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Girl's Guide to Kicking Your Career Into Gear: Valuable Lessons, True Stories, and Tips for Using What You've Got (a Brain!) to Make Your Worklife Work for You
  • Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success
  • The Loudest Duck: Moving Beyond Diversity While Embracing Differences to Achieve Success at Work
  • The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • See Jane Lead: 99 Ways for Women to Take Charge at Work
  • The Go-Girl Guide : Surviving Your 20s with Savvy, Soul, and Style
  • Pitch Like a Girl: Get Respect, Get Noticed, Get What You Want
  • A Year in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything from Jane Austen to the A-list
  • How To Say It for Women
  • Girl, Get Your Money Straight: A Sister's Guide to Healing Your Bank Account and Funding Your Dreams in 7 Simple Steps
  • How to Work a Room, 25th Anniversary Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Making Lasting Connections--In Person and Online
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • Undecided: How to Ditch the Endless Quest for Perfect and Find the Career—and Life—That's Right for You
  • What Would Jackie Do?: An Inspired Guide to Distinctive Living
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
"Debra Shigley is a journalist, career coach, and author of the book The Go-Getter Girl’s Guide: Get What You Want in Work and Life (and Look Great While You’re at It), which has been translated into Chinese and Hungarian.

She earned her undergraduate degree at Harvard, and her law degree, cum laude, at Georgia State. She appears frequently as a career and lifestyle expert on programs such as The T
More about Debra Shigley...

“Not every person is going to like you in every place you work. That’s okay! Accept this, assume an attitude of “fake it till you make it,” and use the experience to keep building your skills and moving your career forward.” 0 likes