Start by marking “Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)” as Want to Read:
Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)

Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The extraordinary true story of Ruby Bridges, the first African-American child to integrate a New Orleans school--now with simple text for young readers!
In 1960, six-year-old Ruby Bridges walked through an angry crowd and into a school where she changed history.
This is the true story of an extraordinary little girl who helped shape our country when she became the first A
Published December 1st 2009 by Cartwheel Books

To ask other readers questions about Ruby Bridges Goes To School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby Bridges Goes To School

Jen Goeden
The story Ruby Bridges Goes to School is about Ruby Bridges live as a young black child that goes to white child’s school and what happens to her.

The book Ruby Bridges Goes to School form is biography about Ruby Bridges live as she grows up. The pictures in the book are real photos. The whole book is done in sepia color to help give it the affect of old. This would be a great book to read to your students when you are studying black history or when schools in the old days. This book just a good
Pam
Although this was written on a level for lower grades, 5th and 6th graders love it too. Great story of courage! I always read it to students before Martin Luther King Jr. Day. First graders can really relate because Ruby is in 1st grade when her story takes place.
Children's Literature Project
DRA:? Reading Level: grades k-3

Ruby Bridges explores how life was for black adults and children at the times of segregation. She talks about her experience going to a all white school for the first time after the court ruled that she was allowed to do so. Ruby explores the positive and negative repercussions of her attending a all white school. She talks about the great relationship she developed with her teacher and classmates at the end.
Amy Schmitz
Ruby Bridges, a six-year-old African-American girl was able to change history by walking through an angry crowd of white people into a school where she was not wanted. She became the first African-American to attend an all white school in New Orleans. The simple text and detailed photographs make it a good independent read for younger students. This book reveals the struggles black people had with segregation during the civil rights movement.
Nicole Holden
This is a really great book to read to students. This book talks about the struggles of an African American 1st grader going to an all white school. This book is great for having discussion about how African Americans were treated so badly when Ruby went to school,and how we should treat African Americans now. This book is great to discussing treating all race equal.
Athena  Harrison
I love this book. It was one of my favorite biographies and the children love the fact that it is actually written by Ruby Bridges herself. To text is simple and it includes nice pictures. It's a great book to use with the civil war and comparing perspectives. However, be weary of the word choice before deciding to utilize this book with younger audiences.
Emily Rosbottom
Excellent to use any time of the year, but was read to me during Black History Month. Great for beginning readers. Includes real-life photographs and details to teach about the civil rights movement. Definitely need to go over vocabulary with the students before this book is read as large and unfamiliar words are scattered throughout the text.
Grant Earls
The book was interesting to know how life in the south was like in the 60's. It got me wondering how could adults be so cruel to a little girl. Im glad that she was able to go to school and most of the people came back and she was able to make some friends. I would recommend this book to someone who likes history of the united states.
Candice Call
This is a great non-fiction book to use for elementary readers. The words are not too dificult for the students to read and much of the information includes topics that the students can somehow relate to. Many teachers have used this book during black hisotry month. The book is categorized as a level 2 for the scholastic readers.
Alice
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was full of real pictures that brought the story to life. I am interested in learning more about this great woman. With children of my own, I can't imagine the courage this little girl had, as well as her mother, to go through the persecution of attending school. What bravery!
Rukia Rogers
This is the beautiful and true story of Ruby Bridges and the early integration of schools.The book uses actual photograph of the characters and events of that time which add to the dept of the story. Its message is powerful,one that I would want children to learn about, through bravery we can change the world.
Hope Mullinax
Autobiographical account of a young girl's fight for education in the United States in 1960. Six year old Ruby was the first African-American to attend an all-white school in New Orleans This is a really good book to introduce primary sources in social studies and celebrate black history month.
Codie Gates
6 year old Ruby Bridges was the first African American to go to school at an all white school in New Orleans. This book chronicles the struggles that she endured to make history. Beautiful story. And a great book to use during Black History Month. There is also a movie.
Amy Carr
My 6-year old loves this book! It is a fantastic introduction to the civil rights movement and a great springboard for wonderful conversations about how we treat people and how important it is to celebrate the things that make us who we are! Love the story of brave Ruby!
Carla
Previewing books to read to kindergarten to second graders about Ruby Bridges; this book was written by Ruby and tells her story well for this age group. Loved that the images in the book are actual images from when she attempted to integrate the neighborhood school.
Erica
My four year-old and I think this book is wonderful. It is a great way to introduce a sensitive historical topic while reinforcing the importance of acceptance. She has been asking me to read it repeatedly.
Takeisha Hannor
I enjoyed this book as well. It focused on an African American girl who struggled in a all white school. This book is good to introduce in social studies. It is age appropriate for all ages and is a good read!
Mindi Harms
This book is a great nonfiction book for your students to read. It teaches you about Ruby Bridges who was the first first grade student to attend an all white school and the challenges she faced.
Maria Rizo-campos
I read this book to my students they loved because it is easy to read and understand. They read the book as many times they want. There are important facts that ruby bring up during the story.
Rowlak5
A great nonfiction book written by Ruby about her story. My students are able to read this independently. They can relate to her
because her plight happened when she was their age.
Tara
This is a lovely book! This was a perfect story to explain cicil rights to young children. It was kid-friendly but also addressed important concept and historical relevance.
Megan Sutherland
Simple book for children to read and learn more about the Civil Rights Movement. Very inspiring and shows students how things used to be in the past.
Rachel
This book is great! It is written by Ruby Bridges and has some good pictures in it. Very informational for children at a young age.
Catherine
An important subject, written by the person who lived the events. The treatment and reading level is appropriate for elementary school.
Diana Pettis
I liked this book because it was well-written for younger children to understand. I read it to Xander tonight and he liked it.
Brandi
This is a great book to share with young children on black history month. I really found Ruby's life story very inspirational.
Danielle
Cute little reader story that taught me stuff and I am hoping it will teach my children a thing or two as well.
Kirei
Wonderful book written by Ruby Bridges herself. The photos really drive home the message of racism.
Elizabeth
An easy read aloud to discuss the end of school segregation. There are a ton of pictures to support the text.
Sarita
I had never known her name. I love that these books exist. Share this with your little ones.
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • The Bicycle Man
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Freedom Summer