Start by marking “Vermonia #1: Quest for the Silver Tiger” as Want to Read:
Vermonia #1: Quest for the Silver Tiger

Vermonia #1: Quest for the Silver Tiger (Vermonia #1)

The battle for Vermonia begins! Fabulous manga artwork highlights this graphic tale of four friends who hold the fate of three worlds in their hands.

Published August 11th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published August 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vermonia #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vermonia #1

Hannah Brown
The first manga I have ever read, I found Vermonia interesting and, of course, different. In English (and, of course, many other languages) we read from left to right, but in manga, which comes from the Japanese culture, it is read right to left, starting from the back of the book, and took me a while to get used to. It’s easy to get the hang of, though, despite being difficult to follow on occasions, where I wasn’t sure which box was next.
Vermonia is a series of books in which the four main cha
Holly Letson
2.5*

I wanted to love this, but I just didn't. It fell flat of my expectations, and I found myself losing attention at some times to where I even laid the book aside - causing it to take longer to read. I find I am doing the same with Vermonia #2. If it doesn't get better, I might drop this series.
Katja
Jan 22, 2017 Katja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the setting and mythology and the art is easy on the eyes. It's a quick read too. I hope they give the four main characters a bit more personality in the following books because they don't differ from each other very much, except Naomi is a kind of leader of the group.
Chad Perrin
Jul 17, 2016 Chad Perrin rated it did not like it
Shelves: avoid
People know things for no reason. The characters don't really do things -- they just have things done to them. The plot keeps happening without meaningful justification. The path the main characters' quest must take were set up by people who made senseless decisions (from an in-character perspective) just because of the fact they had to make those decisions for this plot to exist. The pacing is indescribably bad. People accept things they're told without any thought or good reason to accept it j ...more
Sadie Forsythe
Jun 12, 2013 Sadie Forsythe rated it really liked it
Reading this with my 6 year old. She loves the pictures, relates to the skaters, and is able to follow the storyline. I think the art is passable and the story simplistic, but it's still enjoyable.

edit: Just as I closed this out I glanced up at the cover and thought, 'who's that guy on the front?' There is no such character. There is a blond guy (Jim), a black hair girl (Naomi), a red headed girl (Mel), and what appeared to be an african american guy who is the spirit of the silver tiger (Doug)
Shanny
Aug 19, 2016 Shanny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adored, manga
This is one of the first mangas I've ever read and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I'm excited to read more about Naomi, Jim, Doug and Mel.
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 24, 2010 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
Many years ago two brothers fought against each other and Uro won ending Queen Frasinella's reign. She transformed four of her great warriors into animal spirits and sent them to the Turtle Kingdom where each was immediately tricked into imprisonment. Now many, many years later 4 children from earth are summoned as the counterparts to these animal spirits and it is up to them to save the Blue Star System. As the animal spirits are unleashed their powers will combine and become one with each chil ...more
Sarah Maddaford
I wouldn't hesitate to offer this to a middle school kid. There is virtually no language, very little innuendo and the violence is mostly towards demonic type creatures. Also, the fact that the tweens/teens in the story are skaters and rockers will appeal to that age range.
So far, this story looks like a pretty good portal fantasy. Four kids get pulled from our world into a world ravaged by war in order to save one of the kids and defeat the evil general. The art style is Japanese, which I gener
Sarai
Dec 28, 2009 Sarai rated it really liked it
On a distant Blue Star, Mel, Jim, Naomi, and Doug — friends obsessed with their garage band — don’t seem that different from any of the other twelve-year-old skateboarders at Union Middle School. But everything changes when Mel is kidnapped and imprisoned in a world called the Turtle Realm. As her friends rush to save her, guided by the magical squelp Satorin, they find a world terrorized by a conquering army, a land whose villagers’ only hope is an ancient prophecy foretelling the arrival of fo ...more
Crisanto Vergara
Sep 07, 2016 Crisanto Vergara rated it really liked it
The book that I just read for the past 9 days is Fiction. The main characters of the story is 3 teenagers named Doug, Naomi, and Jim. Doug, Naomi, and Jim are great skaters until one day the mayor had Restricted A Area That Was Supposed to be a Skaters Park But instead of that, the Mayor Decided to restrict the area for nothing. Doug, Naomi, and Jim discovered a underground portal under the restricted area. The Characters went into the portal and discovered that they were in a another dimension ...more
Lorien Rhys
Jul 03, 2016 Lorien Rhys rated it really liked it
I was looking around the library for a new manga series that I could try and I came across this graphic novel. The artwork for one thing is amazing and the story, also terrific as well. You probably won't find a manga similar to this one because it seems to have a story all on it's own. The female characters didn't act like little girlies afraid to go anywhere but instead they took the situation for what it is. But one of them is missing in this weird world. I won't spoil anything for you guys b ...more
Akari Winter
Mar 07, 2012 Akari Winter rated it liked it
I liked this book because it interested me and made me keep on reading on ,it has a cool storyline/plot and it is a graphic novel which is personally my favorite type of book.

The drawing style is really good because it shows emotions through the drawings and helps you understand the event thats happening better.I am reading the whole series which is a 6 book set and it is really enjoyable and reccomend it to people aged from 11-15.
Lilzgold
Jul 14, 2010 Lilzgold rated it liked it
There was something about the art that took my attention. I later found out that the shading and rendering was done in photoshop, which is a refreshingly different technique in a manga. The art also had a more western look to it, as were the characters and their names. Art-wise, this is a great book for someone just getting into manga.

The plot however, moved a bit too fast for my liking, even though I still found it enjoyable. Overall, it's a nice book for a quick read.
Kerry
Dec 18, 2009 Kerry rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this :)A great fantasy with fantastic art. The story flows well, but of course as with all manga, our story has just really begun and the book ends!! Who knows how long I will have to wait for the next one. This one is great for both boys and girls as there are 4 main characters, 2 boys and 2 girls. There's something for everyone and it's great for introducing someone to manga.
Mimi
Jun 08, 2010 Mimi rated it really liked it
Great bk. good action. fantasy. would have prefered a less abrupt ending, but I guess thats part of the suspension of the series. I like the whole 'gaurdian spirit thing' and the responsibilty put on the characters is pretty grave, so its really interesting.
Peacegal
Nov 25, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were a lot of great illustrations in this one, and I expecially enjoyed the unicorn-tiger and other fantasy beasts. However, I'd be lying if I said I knew what the hell was going on with the story.

Vermonia: Quest for the Silver Tiger v. 1
by YoYo
Class 238
Mar 19, 2013 Class 238 rated it it was amazing
When I first read the book, I had to read it again to understand what was happening. The best part about the book was when the people got special things from the village that made them turn into animals. You should read this book because it is cool and you should give it a try.

Abby
Wayne
Mar 06, 2010 Wayne rated it it was ok
this was a g.n. I would never read personally, but needed to as an Eisner judge. It is aimed at the middle school crowd, and succeeds in being a nice simple well drawn story. Four kids who grew up together are enlisted to become warriors to fight evil on a different world.
Nic
Mar 31, 2015 Nic rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, nfnt
I feel like 3 stars is kind of generous, honestly, but it wasn't awful. Just kind of boring and stilted.

You can read my full review at No Flying No Tights.
Vera
Vera rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2017
Nishat
Nishat rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Allan M Zsidi
Allan M Zsidi rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2017
Josh
Josh rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2017
padfoot and pringles
padfoot and pringles rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Shanae Wagemann
Shanae Wagemann rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Devon Cato
Devon Cato rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Reagan Keating
Reagan Keating rated it did not like it
Oct 15, 2016
Snyperr
Snyperr rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Regkitty
Regkitty rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
  • Love in the Mask (Love in the Mask, #28)
  • Silver Diamond 7
  • DearS, Vol. 1
  • The Fire and the Light (Souls of Aredyrah, #1)
  • Tiny Titans, Volume 3: Sidekickin' It
  • Beast Master's Ark
  • Midnight Revelations (Werelove #2)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!: Millennium World, Vol. 2: Magician's Genesis (Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium World, #2)
  • Cirque Du Freak: Hunters of the Dusk, Vol. 07 (Cirque Du Freak: The Manga, #7)
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1
  • Mers
  • Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework
  • The Twilight Zone: The Midnight Sun
  • +Anima 6 (+Anima, #6)
YOYO is a cutting-edge Japanese manga studio.
More about YoYo...

Vermonia (8 books)
  • Vermonia #2: Call of the Winged Panther
  • Vermonia #3: Release of the Red Phoenix
  • Vermonia #4: The Rukan Prophecy
  • Vermonia #5: The Warriors' Trial
  • Vermonia #7: Battle for the Turtle Realm (Vermonia, #7)
  • Vermonia #6: To the Pillar of Wind