Start by marking “Vermonia #1: Quest for the Silver Tiger” as Want to Read:
Vermonia #1: Quest for the Silver Tiger

Vermonia #1: Quest for the Silver Tiger (Vermonia #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The battle for Vermonia begins! Fabulous manga artwork highlights this graphic tale of four friends who hold the fate of three worlds in their hands.

Published August 11th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published August 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vermonia #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vermonia #1

Sadie Forsythe
Reading this with my 6 year old. She loves the pictures, relates to the skaters, and is able to follow the storyline. I think the art is passable and the story simplistic, but it's still enjoyable.

edit: Just as I closed this out I glanced up at the cover and thought, 'who's that guy on the front?' There is no such character. There is a blond guy (Jim), a black hair girl (Naomi), a red headed girl (Mel), and what appeared to be an african american guy who is the spirit of the silver tiger (Doug)
Hannah Brown
The first manga I have ever read, I found Vermonia interesting and, of course, different. In English (and, of course, many other languages) we read from left to right, but in manga, which comes from the Japanese culture, it is read right to left, starting from the back of the book, and took me a while to get used to. It’s easy to get the hang of, though, despite being difficult to follow on occasions, where I wasn’t sure which box was next.
Vermonia is a series of books in which the four main cha
Nicola Mansfield
Many years ago two brothers fought against each other and Uro won ending Queen Frasinella's reign. She transformed four of her great warriors into animal spirits and sent them to the Turtle Kingdom where each was immediately tricked into imprisonment. Now many, many years later 4 children from earth are summoned as the counterparts to these animal spirits and it is up to them to save the Blue Star System. As the animal spirits are unleashed their powers will combine and become one with each chil ...more
Sarah Maddaford
I wouldn't hesitate to offer this to a middle school kid. There is virtually no language, very little innuendo and the violence is mostly towards demonic type creatures. Also, the fact that the tweens/teens in the story are skaters and rockers will appeal to that age range.
So far, this story looks like a pretty good portal fantasy. Four kids get pulled from our world into a world ravaged by war in order to save one of the kids and defeat the evil general. The art style is Japanese, which I gener
Sarai
On a distant Blue Star, Mel, Jim, Naomi, and Doug — friends obsessed with their garage band — don’t seem that different from any of the other twelve-year-old skateboarders at Union Middle School. But everything changes when Mel is kidnapped and imprisoned in a world called the Turtle Realm. As her friends rush to save her, guided by the magical squelp Satorin, they find a world terrorized by a conquering army, a land whose villagers’ only hope is an ancient prophecy foretelling the arrival of fo ...more
Lilzgold
There was something about the art that took my attention. I later found out that the shading and rendering was done in photoshop, which is a refreshingly different technique in a manga. The art also had a more western look to it, as were the characters and their names. Art-wise, this is a great book for someone just getting into manga.

The plot however, moved a bit too fast for my liking, even though I still found it enjoyable. Overall, it's a nice book for a quick read.
Akari Winter
I liked this book because it interested me and made me keep on reading on ,it has a cool storyline/plot and it is a graphic novel which is personally my favorite type of book.

The drawing style is really good because it shows emotions through the drawings and helps you understand the event thats happening better.I am reading the whole series which is a 6 book set and it is really enjoyable and reccomend it to people aged from 11-15.
Kerry
I really enjoyed this :)A great fantasy with fantastic art. The story flows well, but of course as with all manga, our story has just really begun and the book ends!! Who knows how long I will have to wait for the next one. This one is great for both boys and girls as there are 4 main characters, 2 boys and 2 girls. There's something for everyone and it's great for introducing someone to manga.
Class 238
When I first read the book, I had to read it again to understand what was happening. The best part about the book was when the people got special things from the village that made them turn into animals. You should read this book because it is cool and you should give it a try.

Abby
Wayne
this was a g.n. I would never read personally, but needed to as an Eisner judge. It is aimed at the middle school crowd, and succeeds in being a nice simple well drawn story. Four kids who grew up together are enlisted to become warriors to fight evil on a different world.
Mimi
Great bk. good action. fantasy. would have prefered a less abrupt ending, but I guess thats part of the suspension of the series. I like the whole 'gaurdian spirit thing' and the responsibilty put on the characters is pretty grave, so its really interesting.
Peacegal
There were a lot of great illustrations in this one, and I expecially enjoyed the unicorn-tiger and other fantasy beasts. However, I'd be lying if I said I knew what the hell was going on with the story.

Vermonia: Quest for the Silver Tiger v. 1
by YoYo
Ratforcekids
The fate of three worlds depends on the courage of four friends. This is a graphic novel.
Hiruna
Liked it was awesome, not too much though.

Ps. There website is www.vermonia.com
Chad
Trying to get my manga on and picked this up because it's popular at my library.
Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)
The artwork wasn't very good but I kind of liked the story.
Clover Donovan
I really enjoyed this. Thoughts to come. :)
Traci
Like other quest guardian books.
Yun Yuri
it so cool!!!!
Adetokunbo Ojo
Adetokunbo Ojo marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Tracey Steinbach
Tracey Steinbach marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cirque Du Freak: Hunters of the Dusk, Vol. 07 (Cirque Du Freak: The Manga, #7)
  • Silver Diamond, Vol. 8: After Death
  • Attack on Titan: Before the Fall, Vol. 2 (Attack on Titan: Before the Fall Manga, #2)
  • Pokémon Adventures, Vol. 11
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium World, Vol. 2: Magician's Genesis (Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium World, #2)
  • DearS, Vol. 1
  • Tiny Titans, Vol. 4: The First Rule of Pet Club...
  • Beast Master's Circus (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm, #4)
  • Attack on Titan: No Regrets, Vol. 2
  • +Anima 6 (+Anima, #6)
  • Large Print (Unshelved, #8)
  • Missile Mouse #2: Rescue on Tankium3
YOYO is a cutting-edge Japanese manga studio.
More about YoYo...
Vermonia #2: Call of the Winged Panther Vermonia #3: Release of the Red Phoenix Vermonia #4: The Rukan Prophecy Vermonia #5: The Warriors' Trial Vermonia #6: To the Pillar of Wind