Start by marking “Letters from a Cat: Published by Her Mistress for the Benefit of All Cats and the Amusement of Little Children (1879)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Letters from a Cat: Pu...

Helen Hunt Jackson

This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from a Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from a Cat

Laima
Mar 25, 2013 Laima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kaethe Douglas

LOVED it!!

Anyone who likes cats will love this short story. A young girl named Helen goes away on a long trip with her father. While away she receives letters written to her by her cat. They are adorable, sweet and funny. A very quick read guaranteed to put a smile on any cat lover's face.

Free kindle download from Amazon.
Mimi
Nov 27, 2015 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seen this book and thought that it sounded like a good idea. As a cat lover, who wouldn't wish for their cat to write letters to them? I started this book thinking it was going to be a happy story about a cat and it's owner.

How wrong I was! I found this story very sad. I liked the letters and the cat. It was the other characters such as Mary that put me off. They were all mean to the cat all the time and it was hard to read.

I'm glad I finished it though. Even though it is an old book, I foun
Deary Darling
Nope. Never gonna happen. I will never be mature enough to read this without smirking and snickering and contributing the occasional "that's what HE said!".

In my defense:

"Helen, your Pussy has grown so old and so fat, she is no comfort to herself, and a great torment to everybody else. I think it would be a mercy to kill her."

"Kill my Pussy!" I exclaimed, and burst out crying, so loud and so hard that I think my mother was frightened; for she said quickly:--

"Never mind, dear; it shall not be do
Cecile Hibbs
Jan 28, 2013 Cecile Hibbs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of those old books that pulls on your heart strings. If you're an animal lover, particularly cats, then you'll appreciate the sweetness of this unique book. It is a hidden gem, in that it has been largely forgotten over the many years since it's publication.
fred rowe
Feb 20, 2015 fred rowe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sick and disgusting

The idea of a cat writing letters is whimsical.The idea of a cat writing letterst to its mistress is poingnant.The idea of introducing the cats drowning as a matter of fact is sick beyond belief.What exactly is wrong with you?
Paul
Dec 25, 2012 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amusing proof that cat humor didn't begin in the 21st century, or the 20th. The illustrations are also comical. It should of course be noted that this is a children's book.
Rebecca
Oct 16, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made my cat loving six year old cry real tears and laugh out loud. Any book that can evoke those emotions from a young reader gets five stars from me.
Alisa Kester
Apr 23, 2012 Alisa Kester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, funny, and completely adorable! And also, the first book I read on my brand new Kindle.
Ally
May 06, 2010 Ally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
catz
Hiền Lê
Một câu chuyện đáng yêu
Jena
Sep 26, 2015 Jena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of someone's cat writing letters to them while they were away was a good one. The letters in this book were creative, and I liked the cat. However, this is a four-star read, because in the introduction, you're told how the cat dies, and while it may have been common in the 1800's, I didn't like to read about it. This was written from the perspective of a cat writing to a little girl, but I wouldn't read this to small children.
Emma-Louise
A cute concept for a book, but a very short read.

I found it quite a sad story if I'm honest, I felt it kind of bordered on the abusive towards the cat. But that might be down to modern sensibilities as it was written 1879 after all. Definitely a good read if you are a cat fan.
Edgar Marius Gonzalez
A quirky little book that was a fun read. Enjoyed reading it. I often wonder what my kitties would tell me if they could speak. I try to empathize with my kitties every second I'm with them. Their behavior speaks volumes. Love them all the more after reading this book.
Mags
Mar 05, 2012 Mags rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short, sweet little book.
Lynn Nance
Jun 14, 2014 Lynn Nance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, but good

The story is cute and somewhat sad. Overall the book is entertaining and worth reading. It is an easy read.
Tehila
Mar 17, 2016 Tehila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers/owners of cats; children
Shelves: e-books, cats
I only wish it were a longer book. If you like cats, even if only at a distance, you will enjoy this. It is a delightful story book for children (cat lovers or not) and adults.
Đoàn Ngọc
Jan 03, 2016 Đoàn Ngọc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Một câu chuyện dễ thương vô cùng. Bé mèo Pussy và cô chủ nhỏ Hellen đều đáng yêu như mọi bé mèo và mọi cô bé khác trên thế giới này.
Hoàng Nguyễn
Cảm xúc của mình khi đọc quyển này:

description
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2012
Yiqing
Yiqing rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2015
LoraDale Lowrie
LoraDale Lowrie rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2017
leah macfarlane
leah macfarlane rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2016
Ido
Ido rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
ZouZou
Sep 22, 2015 ZouZou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I wish my cat could write me letters
Loukis Mallis
Loukis Mallis rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Carolina Lange Albeche
Carolina Lange Albeche rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
Tao Đàn
Tao Đàn rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Sharon Riddle
Sharon Riddle rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Amy Maurer
Amy Maurer rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Helen Maria Hunt Jackson was an American writer best known as the author of Ramona, a novel about the ill treatment of Native Americans in Southern California, and as an activist for Native American rights
More about Helen Hunt Jackson...