Start by marking “Just My Luck (Coletti Warlords, #1)” as Want to Read:
Just My Luck (Coletti Warlords, #1)

Just My Luck (Coletti Warlords #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  901 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Kaylee Jones is a trouble magnet. Chaos and disaster are her faithful companions. She belongs to the thin blue line protecting Earth from the Tai-Kok, alien predators who consider our world an all-you-can-eat banquet.

Her crappy luck puts her on the alien freaks- most wanted list and lands her in one of their prison cells. Her roommate? A very hungry vampire. Okay, Talree'
Published July 9th 2009 by Whispers Publishing (first published October 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Just My Luck, please sign up.

Gail Koger My former publisher went out of business and the books are no longer in distribution. I'm working on getting the legal mess sorted out. I do give away…moreMy former publisher went out of business and the books are no longer in distribution. I'm working on getting the legal mess sorted out. I do give away copies in my numerous contests.

Gail(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Host by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Sci-Fi/Futuristic Romance
19th out of 1,081 books — 1,172 voters
Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuireCrashed by K. BrombergTime After Time by Emily   FosterRhett by J.S. CooperRipped by Katy Evans
Most ANTICIPATED ROMANCE books for 2014
151st out of 1,088 books — 3,122 voters

More lists with this book...

Mel
Aug 19, 2014 Mel rated it did not like it
I added this to my TBR pile because of the raving reviews. Frankly: I don't get the fuss. What was so great about it? It felt like the author was high as a kite one night and just decided to write down whatever popped into her mind and made it into this book.

The heroine is an immature, annoying, self assessed 'tough chick', who kept saying 'Omigod!' every other sentence. She happens to be the strongest psychic and telepath in the world, happens to come out of a family of warrior type men who hap
Elysia
Nov 27, 2011 Elysia rated it did not like it
In short, this is the worst book I have ever read. I read fully half the book before I wrote this review just to make sure I wasn't basing my opinion on the beginning. I couldn't make myself go any further.
It makes no sense, things happen for no reason. In the first twelve pages the protagonist gets her mind invaded by a posessive alien, blows up an entire starship with her mind while getting out of the shower, takes on a Mexican (WTF?) gang solo, uses her mind to attack them with pigeons, and
Sandra
A great synopsis of this book is on Gail's page called Kaylee's Diary. This book has everything. It is very funny, has great sex and lots of adventure, lots of aliens both good and bad, some very cute. It is fast paced and very readable. If you like laughing out loud this is the book for you.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Oh good lord I laughed so hard at a few of the scenes. I nearly woke my sleeping husband up. Ms. Koger is definitely a must buy author. Her sense of humour is off the wall and just my kind. I bought this book a year ago and for some unknown reason, never read it. It's probably because it wasn't kinky sex - or what I consider kinky sex. After reading the 3rd book in this series, I went back to read this one.

Kaylee Jones is a walking trouble magnet. She should be locked up for other people's safet
Erika
Mar 07, 2016 Erika marked it as did-not-finish
Writing style and flow just isn't working for me, but I may come back and try it again later.
Mrs. Missive
Aug 27, 2011 Mrs. Missive rated it really liked it
Who would think I would like a book with talking spiders who crawl in the heroine's hair and vampires with prehensile man bits? Damn. But I did!

This book is the definition of a dialogue driven novel. The vast majority of the action is shown through conversation between the characters.

Murphy's Law ran rampant in here. Everything that can possibly go wrong does, and even things you didn't know existed went wrong. Our heroine, the shit magnet, is a badass psychic. She can beat people up with her b
Lil
Aug 18, 2009 Lil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now, anyone who knows me knows--I'm a big fan of vampires and Were's. I'm also an editor and do about a million other things besides. I'm always on a tight time schedule for something, so when I got this one for formatting, I did my usual stuff first, then started to proof...and promptly forgot what I was supposed to be doing and just read. And read and laughed and went OH! and met some people (and other sentient beings) that I really really really liked.
I'm not going to give the plot away, nor
Netanella
Jul 10, 2012 Netanella rated it really liked it
Over-the-top, outlandish cornball action and dialogue that reminds me of the movie "Evil Dead". Except, of course, "Evil Dead" is a classic in the horror humor genre and this is not. The book reads like an acid trip cartoon Roadrunner episode, with non-stop action and dialogue that often defies the laws of gravity, common sense, and good grammatical structure. Having said all of that, however, I really enjoyed this book once I decided to just sit back and go with it. This book is not for everyon ...more
Vanessa Derrett
Mar 30, 2014 Vanessa Derrett rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I've had this series for a while and I hadn't read it yet because I was waiting on the 3rd to drop. I like to read books in a series one after the other. I've had a hard time here lately finding scfi series that are not all about sex. And this book really delivered it has a great story line and I couldn't put it down ! I have to say this is one of the Best Scfi books I have read in a long time !! You really have to pay attention to what your reading so you don't get lost. There is A LOT of mind ...more
Bridget
Oct 24, 2013 Bridget rated it really liked it
I laughed so hard reading Just My Luck. Kaylee is by far one of the wittiest heroines I have ever read. Her family says she is a magnet for trouble, which I thought was probably a slight exaggeration being the only girl. Ha! Not so. Kaylee is a tuning fork for all things big and bad in the universe. Does she let it bother her? Nope. She embraces it because really, what else can you do?

Talree is hot, weird man junk aside. He is the only man alive anywhere that stands a chance of keeping up with
Whispers Publishing
Aug 12, 2009 Whispers Publishing rated it it was amazing
Shelves: published
Reviewed by Chris at Night Owl Romance

> Hearts: 4.00 / 5
> Review:
> Kaylee is a walking shit magnet; her words, not mine. If there is trouble or danger, she's usually sitting in the front row. But Kaylee is a warrior, a powerful psychic, and a "siren" for her world. Call her an advance warning system if you will. And her alarms are going off like crazy. Earth has come to the attention of off-planet predators who think we are mighty tasty, and they are ringing the dinner bell. Ear
Angela
I started this series backwards and picked up Vexing Voss, which I really enjoyed. So went back and got the rest of the series.

I give this book a 4 star rating And here is why...

I liked the premise, Bad ass chick with mental abilities fighting for Earth's survival. Said bad ass chick starts being able to hear an alien male in her head and he locks on to her for potential mate material.

Kaylee is a kick ass chick with lots of moxie and a mouth on her, that she has not learned how to filter (I love
Gail Koger
Mar 05, 2011 Gail Koger rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
SciFi Fantasy

Reviewed by Lisa

The year is 2015. Earth has been invaded by the Tai-Kok who like to eat humans. The people have little to stop the Tai-Kok from destroying everything until they manage to bring down one of the alien ships. Their technology is quickly figured out so that those left can fight on equal footing.

Psychics are nicknamed Sirens because they can feel the aliens coming and send a warning to hide or fight. The Jones family is large and particularly gifted. Kaylee Lynn Jones is
 Rosebud
Apr 20, 2012 Rosebud rated it it was amazing
This is not your serious read but rather an intense murphys law type of synopsis with a strong heroine whose lifestyle is whatever can go wrong does and a hero who learns that if you can't beat em join em. While some parts of this book push the button on believability and leaves me questioning these parts it's an action packed twist turner type of story. The use of thought projestion as a standarized use of communicating long distances with multiple life forms makes for hilarious results which ...more
Djh2121
Aug 16, 2009 Djh2121 rated it it was amazing
Just My Luck had me captivated from the first paragraph. It is a fast paced, science fiction, action packed romance that was so up my alley. The story line and characters are well developed and I found myself unable to put the book down. I even read it a second time a week later because I just couldn't get it out of my head! That never happens! I simply can't wait for the secquel!
SharonM
Oct 04, 2013 SharonM rated it it was amazing
If you want to read a series about kick-ass heroines, this is it. The interaction between the heroines and their heroes is always interesting. It is worth the purchase. Lastly, I love a book that lets me laugh in enjoyment. And it makes sense.
Laura Wolf
Jan 24, 2015 Laura Wolf rated it really liked it
I normally don’t write reviews. A quick comment or just give it a rating and move on. BUT….. I saw all the nonsense in the reviews and decided yeah why not.

I want to say Gail Koger is now my new guilty pleasure. Was this book like the usual sci-fi paranormal romances that I read? NOPE. It was laugh out loud funny, totally bizarre with a super snarky off the wall kick ass heroine. Many Alpha males and super cute awesome spiders… yeah who talk telepathically.

Thank you, Gail. Just thank you. I was
Heather  book whore & shifter slut extrordinaire
Kaylee and Talree were my introduction to the amazing world building, and the amusing, funny, witty and hilarious dialogue Gail Koger writes. The best part of her books is this fantastic ability she has to make anything sound like the most fascinating action or object I have never seen - somehow she bring things to life in a way no other author can! The words bring these characters, whether humanoid or other shapes and sizes and styles so alive in my mind I feel as though I am there. With them. ...more
Ashen
Mar 16, 2013 Ashen rated it it was ok
I was really upset with this book. After reading the blurb I hoped it would be an action filled awesome sci-fi read, but it was nothing like that. All the talking in everyone's head was very confusing, the writing really wasn't my style at all, and everything happened within a couple pages so by the time you were getting into one bit of action, it was moving on to another.
The romance was utterly confusing too. It was all a bit sudden, and I got sick of the line 'I quickly gave him the 411 on the
Despina
Aug 11, 2014 Despina rated it it was amazing
Just my Luck! I absolutely loved this book. Gail Koger has the best kick-ass (h's) around, they are hilarious, and the Warlords are soooo growly I love them. The more I read of Gail's work, the more I want to read about her Coletti warriors and their mates, it's and addiction I tell you (and I'm loving it). In Just My Luck, Kaylee Jones is wonderful, I want to be her, she is fearless and funny and I can't get enough of her antics. This book transports you into a world of fun and adventure that y ...more
Jennie
I wasn't able to finish this book. The heroine is telepathic and so is everyone else in the story, so it quickly becomes very difficult to figure out what the hell is going on most of the time. The characters are very one-dimensional and the entire story is back to back action so you never really get to know any of the characters outside the heroine. Numerous words and phrases are heavily abused, such as 'Hoo-Ra!', and that obviously gets annoying too. There was a lot more that was wrong with th ...more
Kati
This book suffers from a touch of over-the-top syndrome but on the plus side Kaylee is funny and sarcastic and the adventure unfolds nonstop. This is not a stand alone book as there is a lot left unresolved at the end but I believe the follow up book is not yet available. Certainly a fun book if you are in the mood for a goofy read.
Jeffrey William
Oct 06, 2009 Jeffrey William rated it it was amazing
Just My Luck is on the top of my list as far as sci-fi novels. I was so into it, I finished reading in less than a week! Now my wife is half-way through, and she loves it!

Brenda Backman
Aug 30, 2009 Brenda Backman rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! Fast paced and action packed with steamy love scenes. What more can you ask for? Now I'm just waiting for the sequel.
Jane (PS)
Oct 14, 2009 Jane (PS) rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and would read more in this sci-fi romance vein from the author if there were any!!
Penney
Jul 11, 2010 Penney rated it it was ok
In a nutshell... It was like a really bad "B" action flick with equally bad dialog. Even the sex was bad!
Rhonda Jones
Jun 15, 2014 Rhonda Jones rated it it was amazing
I did not want this book to end. Action packed with intriguing characters and and interesting plot. Aliens attack Earth, using humans as a food source. This is about one kick ass family with psychic abilities who fight back. While doing so one female is captured and taken on board the alien spacecraft. She escapes her bonds and comes across a different alien species who has also been captured. They work together to escape. And from there the saga gets better and better, including a romantic inte ...more
Carolyn F.
Mar 31, 2012 Carolyn F. rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, romance, ebook, sfr
A little too much 1980's movie humor for me but a really good book beyond that.

Kaylee is in a cop in Phoenix Arizona trying to survive after aliens attacked Earth and killed off a big chunk of the population. On their way to America, a suicide bomber blew himself up on their ship and they were able to turn the tide slightly. The aliens still come but not as often and they can fight them better. Talree had been captured by his evil brother who had joined forces with the axis of evil alien-wise.
Starry
May 27, 2012 Starry rated it it was amazing
Mila
It's hard to say what exactly i think of this book, but i have to admit it was one of the most unique books i have read.
The story is very fast paced, action scenes flowing one into the other, but i have to warn you that it is very violent, meaning, a lot of deaths, blood, cruelty and sadness, but at least all that it's not described in great detail.
It's also not a very erotic book if you're hoping for that but for some reason the sex scenes were strangely appealing to me.
The heroine is very loya
Sci-Fi Romance: Busy Mom's Book Reviews 1 12 Apr 20, 2013 03:38PM
Sci-Fi Romance: Coffee and Cream Event 1 4 Dec 05, 2011 11:52AM
Author's events 1 16 Aug 16, 2009 01:42PM
  • Prime Obsession (The Prime Chronicles, #1)
  • The Bridal Hunt
  • Galactic Treasure (The Quads of Galafrax, #2)
  • Rage (Galactic Cage Fighters, #1)
  • Invasion Earth (Delroi Connection, #1)
  • The Commander's Slave
  • Captive (Entwined Fates, #1)
  • Cyborg (Cyberevolution, #4)
  • Legion
  • Saved by Venom (Grabbed, #3)
  • Darkling Seas
  • Death Row: The Fugitive (Death Row, #1)
  • The Price of Pleasure (Saurellian Federation, #1)
  • Bay's Mercenary (Unearthly World, #1)
  • Bonded to the Alien Lord (Warriors of the Lathar #3)
  • Berrr's Vow (Zorn Warriors, #4)
I was a 9-1-1 dispatcher for thirty-one years and to keep insanity at bay, I took up writing. Not to worry. The insanity isn’t catching – much. Other than the addiction to chocolate and the twitch in my left eye, I’m good. I’ve had my weird but true stories published in newspapers and magazines. My first book was The Ghost Wore Polyester, a murder mystery/comedy set in Sedona, Arizona. Just My Luc ...more
More about Gail Koger...

Coletti Warlords (5 books)
  • The Warlord's Comeuppance (Coletti Warlords, #2)
  • Vexing Voss (Coletti Warlords, #3)
  • Reality Bites (Coletti Warlords, #4)
  • Just Desserts (Coletti Warlords, #5)