Start by marking “A Child's Wound” as Want to Read:
A Child's Wound

A Child's Wound

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Manhattan, cruising through book stores and cafés, Tim Hadler, an eccentric serial killer, stalks his next victim. He takes pride in what he does and has perfected his craft. Unfortunately for Tim, he has stumbled upon something that never prepared him for what is about to happen. His next victim turns out to be a New York City Detective. Just when Tim thought he had hi ...more
Published August 3rd 2009 by Spp

To ask other readers questions about A Child's Wound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Child's Wound

Lauren Stone
A twistedly sexy, dark, crime drama with a hint of romance... a flamboyant serial killer, and a controlling serial rapist are responsible for the central conflicts within this world, and a beautiful female detective Christine is their antagonist. Dwayne manages to make rape sexy and justify the behavior of these beautifully damaged characters. Although I wouldn't neccessarily classify Tim as a narcissist I would classify him as being incredibly disturbed, and perhaps prior to meeting Christine h ...more
Renee
A serial killer on the loose, Picasso they call him, a man struggling to control his demons. Add some intriguing subplots, really disturbing characters and terrifying ways to die...I won't say more or I'll give it all away.

I enjoyed this read, and I admit that surprised me. It's rare that I find a new author, this is Dwayne's first book, who hooks me so well within the first pages of the book and kept me interested until the last page.

A Child's Wound is fast paced, I didn't want to stop readin
Kristie
A win from the First Reads program.....Kavanagh has a knack for making you like the bad guy. "A Child's Wound" was raw, honest and engaging. I fell in love with Tim from the get go. Two serial killers revolve around the same detectives in a who can best who first battle. At times, however, I felt that the Picasso Killer story line was bland and could be spiced up more or more intertwined with Christine.....

I enjoyed this book and with the way it ended.....look forward to a sequel?????
Nicky
Sep 06, 2009 Nicky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys thriller novels
Recommended to Nicky by: a friend from work
Wow! Great read!! This book had me sitting on the edge of my seat page by page. I couldn't put it down! I felt like I had a front row seat to the action, as the author is very skilled at description. If you like thriller novels then you'll love this book. Go and get it..I know you'll thank me!!
Alicia
Jan 28, 2010 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alicia by: won through First Reads
Shelves: read-in-2010
I actually won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and was very excited to read it. The story was told from many perspectives including that of Tim, a serial killer, as well as Christine, the Police Officer on the case. It's interesting to see how they interact with each other and watch the growth of their relationship. Each of the characters were so intriguing and you even find yourself kind of liking Tim despite his actions. The situations and characters were so likeable and I found myself flyin ...more
Lpat
Sep 12, 2009 Lpat added it
Recommends it for: all thrill seekers
Recommended to Lpat by: heard about it from a friend
Dwayne Kavanagh,--A Child's Wound

Why is the number,12,a key to the past of serial killer Tom Hadler? A skilled practioner in the art of wooing and dispatching his victims, Tim has competiton in this gripping tale of multiple murder in all its complexity. NYPD's Christine Maloan is taunted by another killer on the loose; both mass murderers are determined to shake Christine from her relentless pursuit, but which one becomes her lover? The chilling twists and turns of A Child's Wound are heightene
Darcia Helle
This book was full of twisted characters doing some pretty twisted things. It definitely held my interest!

Kavanagh does a great job of getting inside the killer's head and sharing that perspective with his readers. There is violence, sex, mystery, and suspense. Some good twists will keep you wondering and you might even find yourself rooting for the bad guy along the way. An entertaining and disturbing read!
Carol Davies
Sep 20, 2009 Carol Davies rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults with strong hearts
Recommended to Carol by: a friend
Dwayne’s got a knack for spinning a story that makes you want to read on and on. This is a creepy page turner that has it all: sex, murder, suspense, and human emotion. You won’t want to put it down.
Watch out for a surprise ending! I’m hoping there will be a sequel.

Carol Davies Hamilton, ON
Tobyann Aparisi
very good book! creepy, dark and yet somehow you find yourself being sucked in. I would strongly recommend this book,as a matter of fact I already have and am lending my copy to my brother.
Jo Wun
If you like stories about killers with twisted minds then this is a story for you. If you like stories about killers with twisted minds which contain a fair amount of graphic detail about how those twisted minds carry out their murderous deeds, then you won't be disappointed. If you like stories about killers with twisted minds who have unusual sexual appetites, A Child's Wound caters for you too.

If you want a good description of the story, I see no reason to compete with the blurb which pretty
Tracey Yeaman
Ok, so I'm usually a bit of a skeptic about first novels by a new author and I will admit that I was about this one. If I'm not hooked by the first 3 pages then that's it for me. What a delightful surprise this book was! The characters were well written and believable and I never got a sense that the author didn't know his stuff.

I really liked the character Christine and I hope Dwayne writes more about her. A series perhaps??? What a treat that would be. Tim's backstory was appalling and interes
Karen
After I finished reading A Child’s Wound, it dawned on me that I really liked the villain. His character was very believable and had good insight and depth. This book held my attention to the very end. I was concerned about the integrity issue at the very end, but in real life that happens also. This is a Good Read!
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Cave Man
Cave Man marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Rocky Long
Rocky Long marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Jessica Loyola
Jessica Loyola marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2012
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2012
Xiri
Xiri marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Kuro
Kuro marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2012
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2012
Violet
Violet added it
May 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Confidential Communications
  • Second Chances
  • Mourning Doves and other stories.
  • Digger's Bones
  • Love Endures All Things: A Journey with Alzheimer´s
  • Hit List
  • Dandelions in the Garden (Countess Elizabeth Bathory, #1)
  • Kissing Frogs in Cyberspace
  • Constellation Chronicles: The Lost Civilization of Aries
  • Sporadic Memories
  • Tuesday Tells it Slant
  • Wired Kingdom (Tara Shores, #1)
  • The Usurper
  • Here All Along
  • Sing the Light (Singers of Nevya, #1)
  • Fall of the Citizens: A Novel
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • The Ghost Man
Dwayne Kavanagh, as a child, found comfort in the dark corners of his imagination. In 2005, he sat down in a small home-office, let the stories transfer from those lightless caverns to the bright screen of his laptop computer, and has been scribbling every day since. His first book was published in August 2009.
Dwayne creates worlds, where you see more than you read. His descriptive detail leaves
More about Dwayne Kavanagh...