Start by marking “Death Takes Up a Collection (Sister Mary Helen, #8)” as Want to Read:
Death Takes Up a Collection (Sister Mary Helen, #8)

Death Takes Up a Collection (Sister Mary Helen #8)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Sister Mary Helen and Sister Eileen are delivering homemade loaves of Irish soda bread on St. Patrick's day to all of Mount St. Francis College benefactors. Eager to finish for the day, they make their last stop at St. Agatha's Church, where they interrupt a mysterious meeting of several prominent members of the community. Invited by Monsignor Joseph Higgins to stay for te ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Death Takes Up a Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Takes Up a Collection

Lynne
A pleasant little jaunt to San Francisco, and a murder mystery solved by two dear old nuns. Everybody had a reason to kill the monsignor, but who actually did the deed? Sister Mary Helen and her buddy, Sister Eileen, figure it out in the end.
The characters are engaging, the victim really won't be missed by anyone, and there's just enough mystery to keep you engaged through the book. This is mystery light, and should not take long to read.
The author has written a number of mysteries with Siste
Cherie Waggie
I've only read a few of these by Sister Carol Anne O'Marie. They're fun and different, although I don't like the detectives much, especially the male. How can you blame everything bad that happens on nuns who would rather not stumble over things?
Betty Ann Baer
A cute book about two nuns that solve the murder. It goes through each person that is a suspects life and the police trying to find out who did it. Very light read.
Pat
Apr 25, 2015 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
These nuns are cool.
A priest is poisoned and everyone has a reason to hate him.
He has stolen money, slept with ex-nun, etc. A bad person.
Good book.
Christine Wahl
Start date November 4, 2014

Finished November 6, 2014

Cute mystery. Light. Fun. Would recommend. Nice characters. No big twists but easy to get through.

Kyrie
Sister Carol Anne had apparently been reading a lot of Agatha Christie and it seeped into this story.

Who killed the Monsignor Higgins. (More accurately, did anyone NOT want to kill him?) It's got lots of potential murderers - all in one room - all feeling guilty.

Sister Mary Helen quotes or references Hercule Poirot nearly as often as Sister Eileen comes up with sayings from Ireland.

It's a nice escape, but not deep.
AnnieM
A cozy, or close to it. Nuns as protagonists make it a nice change of pace. The location of San Francisco makes it an interesting location, but doesn't make a huge impact. It is just a location instead of a character as other authors might have made it.

While religion does make a large portion of the storyline, it doesn't get preachy or overly weighty.

I'd pick up another, but wouldn't actively chase one down.

Willa Grant
I got this book for free & I wasn't expecting too much- figured a murder mystery by a nun sounded right up my alley, though & it was really a fun read.There was a lit continuity problem here & there & the end was a bit of a surprise (I wonder when the characters will figure out who REALLY done it) but over all i would say this is a great potato chip book & I am going to look into others by this author.
Kathie H
Sep 17, 2007 Kathie H rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
You know, the plot was intriguing, & I went to Catholic school all my life (including college), but God bless her, Carol Anne O'Marie is just not a good writer. I didn't give up on this book though; I read the whole thing. But I won't break my neck getting to the library to check out any more of this series.
Andrea
This was an interesting mystery. I don't think I've ever read one about nuns and priests. haha. I liked how the author wrote different parts of the book from different suspects point of view.
Scott L.
I don't like mysteries where I have it figured out before the "detective" does. All-in-all, the reading is enjoyable even if the mystery is transparent.
Mary
Dec 08, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
fair
Dmnlkr
Dmnlkr marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Angala
Angala marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Helen Southall
Helen Southall marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Abigail Claudio
Abigail Claudio marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Becky Dawson
Becky Dawson marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sister Carol Anne O'Marie was a mystery writer and a nun in the St. Joseph of Carondelet religious order.

She wrote eleven novels with the protagonist Sister Mary Helen, an elderly nun who solves crimes. Most of the books are based in San Francisco.

Her final book, Like a Swarm of Bees, is about the origins of the Sisters of St. Joseph in the United States.

Sister Carol Anne O'Marie and Sister Mauree
More about Carol Anne O'Marie...

Sister Mary Helen (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1)
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • The Missing Madonna (Sister Mary Helen, #3)
  • Murder in Ordinary Time (Sister Mary Helen, #4)
  • Murder Makes a Pilgrimage (Sister Mary Helen, #5)
  • Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)
  • Death of an Angel (Sister Mary Helen, #7)
  • Requiem at the Refuge (Sister Mary Helen, #9)
  • The Corporal Works of Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #10)
  • Murder at the Monks' Table (Sister Mary Helen, #11)
Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1) Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2) The Missing Madonna (Sister Mary Helen, #3) Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6) Murder in Ordinary Time (Sister Mary Helen, #4)