Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)

Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen #6)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Sister Mary Helen and her Irish friend, Sister Eileen, need some R&R away from the pressures of their inner city vocation. A week at the idyllic St. Colette's Retreat House, snuggled amid towering redwoods 65 miles from San Francisco, sounds like heaven. Unfortunately the muddled sisters mistakenly arrive a week too early and find that St. Colette's is hosting a conven...more
Published April 19th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1995)

Linda Rawlins
Sister Mary Helen goes on a retreat with her Irish friend, Sister Eileen at St. Collette's Retreat House in Santa Cruz. They find out they are a week too early but decide to stay on with the priests who are starting their retreat. Within a day, Sister Mary Helen finds a body and can't help but try to find the killer with the help of Kate Murphy, her friend who happens to be a homicide investigator from the SFPD.
I enjoyed this book which I would classify as a cozy, Catholic Fiction mystery in the...more
writer...
Actually my first intro to Sr O'Marie' likeable mysteries featuring Sr Mary Helen.

Found it kept my attention with unique details and setting. Various subplots happening in tandem with the main plot and characters gave background to their involvement as detectives and connection to the sisters on retreat. Good sense of humour kept it from becoming dark as the plot thickened and took turns for the worse.
For those who love them, a good cozy to warm you up in this cold winter!

"D" now covered for t...more
Kathleen Hagen
Death Goes on Retreat, by Sister Carol Ann O’Marie, B.
Downloaded from audible.com.

This is the first time I’ve read one of the mysteries written by this nun. They are definitely cozies. I like Sister Mary Helen, the main protagonist. A mite too religious for me. Still, I might read more in the series. Sisters Mary Helen and Eileen are interesting, and some of the police we were introduced to at least in this book, are interesting characters. In this one, the two sisters are looking forward to a r...more
Karen
Sister Carol Anne O'Marie writes mysteries about what she knows best.. a nun who finds murder victims.

This one is set at a retreat house.

Bernadette
A lighthearted murder mystery. As opposed to the stereotypes often portrayed, I appreciated the author's view of the varied and contradictory ways Catholics approach and act on their faith; the author being a nun herself. I found the narrator's voicing of the main character a bit stuffy and over-emphasizing her age, but that's because my own octogenarian aunt in the religious life exhibits such vigor and enthusiasm even in the face of medical and aging challenges.
Margaret
Aug 09, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2005
I found the two nuns amusing - Sister Mary Helen sometimes pretends to be partially deaf and one of her favorite expressions is "Good night nurse!", which I took to be similar in meaning to "good grief!". Sister Eileen's Irish brogue gets thicker when she's upset. The police in this story seemed to bungle the investigation (IMO) and I found the ending anti-climatic. Still, it was a fun read.
Kyrie
Not as good as some of the others, although it does give a glimpse into how some of the religious in the church view things. A glimpse. Not much else. And only some of them.

I thought the ending was really swift, as if she were trying to meet a deadline and just tied up loose ends quickly.

Not my favorite Sister Carol Anne O'Marie book.
Lynda
Jun 17, 2010 Lynda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lynda by: lyndafn@yahoo.com
I actually read this at a Catholic retreat center in Buffalo, Minnesota.
The priest in charge of the facility saw me reading it and told me he knew the author and had read all the books. It was a strange place to meet a fellow fan.
Kathleen
Hadn't read anything in this series in years, but you never know what you'll find in the thrift store when you are out of town and in desperate need of a book. I liked the characters but the plot was a little stretched.
Quenta
I don't get why Sister Mary Helen is so famous for solving murders yet she didn't really solve anything in this story, at least in time to make a difference. Anyway, it wasn't bad.
Staci McLaughlin
This is the first book I've read in this series. I liked the characters and the retreat setting. Overall, it was a very pleasant read.
Jan
Two older nuns solve a murder at a retreat. May have enjoyed the one set in Ireland better.
Snow
Fun characters, but not the most compelling story -- maybe it would be better read than heard.
Andrea
I really like the characters in this series. The mystery in this one was ok.
Barbara
My review for this series is under Novena for Murder.
Donna
Jan 20, 2011 Donna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Catholic sleuths
Shelves: mystery
Meh. Interesting twist at the end which is quite dated.
Kimberly
Light and fun.
NE
NE added it
Jun 28, 2014
Stephanie Rinkel
Stephanie Rinkel marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Diane Zielinski
Diane Zielinski marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Karen Cook
Karen Cook marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sister Carol Anne O'Marie was a mystery writer and a nun in the St. Joseph of Carondelet religious order.

She wrote eleven novels with the protagonist Sister Mary Helen, an elderly nun who solves crimes. Most of the books are based in San Francisco.

Her final book, Like a Swarm of Bees, is about the origins of the Sisters of St. Joseph in the United States.

Sister Carol Anne O'Marie and Sister Mauree...more
More about Carol Anne O'Marie...
Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1) Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2) The Missing Madonna (Sister Mary Helen, #3) Murder in Ordinary Time (Sister Mary Helen, #4) Death Takes Up a Collection (Sister Mary Helen, #8)