Start by marking “Requiem at the Refuge (Sister Mary Helen, #9)” as Want to Read:
Requiem at the Refuge (Sister Mary Helen, #9)

Requiem at the Refuge (Sister Mary Helen #9)

How do you make God laugh? Tell Him you’ve got a plan. That’s what Sister Mary Helen reminds herself when she sets out to start a new life—as a volunteer in a women’s homeless shelter. A savvy octogenarian with an adventurous streak, Mary Helen is no stranger to the shady side of San Francisco’s hilly streets. So when a young resident at the Refuge shelter is found dead, M ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Requiem at the Refuge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Requiem at the Refuge

Cat Kwiatkowski
Jan 19, 2017 Cat Kwiatkowski rated it liked it
This book is just as well written as the rest of Sister Carol Anne O'Marie's novels, but it isn't as good of a story. The characters are more animated than most that Sister has come up with, but the story-line is transparent compared to her usual plots.
Bevjirwin
Mar 19, 2017 Bevjirwin rated it it was ok
while her characters are still charming,the plot was too staid and predictable. knew the culprit from the beginning.just no challenge or fun
Lisa
Mar 03, 2017 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sister Mary Helen is left to her own devices to solve a mystery since Sister Eileen is in Ireland. As Sister Mary Helen launches into a new career leaving behind her college job for working in a women's shelter, she finds yet another dead body. Another enjoyable book in this series.
Drebbles
Jan 08, 2010 Drebbles rated it liked it
Shelves: 2006
When a new president takes over Mount Saint Francis College, Sister Mary Helen, afraid of losing her job, decides to quit her job and volunteer at a women's shelter with Sister Anne. The job is quite a change and challenge for Sister Mary Helen and she is tired but happy. Happy that is until she finds the badly beaten body of one of the young women who frequented the shelter. The last thing Sister Mary Helen wants is to be involved in yet another murder investigation, but she has no choice. The ...more
Lynn Demsky
Jun 10, 2015 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
With the arrival of a new president at Mt St. Francis College, feisty Sister Mary Helen decides to quit her job at the college before she gets forced out and joins Sister Anne by becoming a volunteer at a downtown San Francisco shelter for homeless women. On her second day there, she discovers the lifeless body of a young prostitute and becomes entangled in a strange twisted game of cat and mouse with the culprit. Being no stranger to murder, Sister Mary Helen is determined to help her old frien ...more
Mayda
Jul 27, 2012 Mayda rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, christian, cozies
Sister Mary Helen, fearful that a new head of St Francis College will replace her and force her to retire,resigns her position to assist Sister Anne at The Refuge, a shelter for homeless women. Although Sister Anne herself first suggested the idea to Sister Mary Helen, she is still surprised the elderly nun accepted her offer to help out and she is worried it will prove to be too much for her. But it is Sister Mary Helen, who, upon finding a body on their doorstep, pursues the clues to track the ...more
Mary Baker
I enjoyed this book. It is a quick read with some unusual characters in it. The plot and the characters could be more developed. (There are a lot of characters in the novel.) I did not identify the killer until shortly before the conclusion of the book and thought the author did a good job of giving the reader several possible suspects. I'll read another of the Sister Mary Helen books.
CJ
Dec 10, 2014 CJ rated it really liked it
This story was a little different with the absence of Sister Eileen and locale changed mainly to outside the college environment. It was fun to see Sister Mary Helen cope with the seedy world of... well, I'll let you find out for yourself. It was another quick read, but very enjoyable one.
Marianne Jay
Apr 02, 2013 Marianne Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love Sister Mary Helen. If you are a fan - this one does not disappoint.

Sadly, the author, Sister Carol Anne O'Marie passed away some years ago. I wish she hadn't. I will miss this series when I am done.
Kyrie
Aug 08, 2013 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
It was different from most of her mysteries - the street people from the Refuge gave it a different feeling.

I liked it, and I liked that Sister Mary Helen was embarking on a new career in late life.
Pat
Apr 25, 2015 Pat rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Sister Mary Helen resigns as development officer and works at daytime women's shelter with Sister Anne.
Sister Eileen went back to Ireland for a while.
Homeless woman's body found at rear of shelter by Sister Mary Helen.
Good.
Michele bookloverforever
sister mary helen resigns her position at the college to preempt being asked to resign by the new head of the college. She serves at a refuge for homeless women in San Francisco. One of their clients is found murdered and of course, Sister Mary helen solves who done it.
Barbara
Oct 24, 2008 Barbara marked it as to-read
My review for this series is under Novena for Murder.
Kimberly
Feb 08, 2010 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Sister Mary Helen is an inspiration for those of us growing older and realizing we can still be involved in life. I love this series.
Harry Addington
Jan 04, 2014 Harry Addington rated it really liked it
I like these
Pam Frost Gorder
Feb 17, 2013 Pam Frost Gorder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, nuns
I thought I had the mystery figured out a couple of different times, but the story kept me guessing. This is the first book by this author that I have read, and now I want to read the others.
Lynette Kersey
Lynette Kersey rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
Jeni
Jeni rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2015
AngelaGay Kinkead
AngelaGay Kinkead rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2008
John Kroll
John Kroll rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2010
Fr John
Fr John rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Claudia
Claudia rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2014
Sue Lerner
Sue Lerner rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Diana Alldredge
Diana Alldredge rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Emma Lewis
Emma Lewis rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Lbaker
Lbaker rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Nun in the Closet
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • The Windsor Knot (Elizabeth MacPherson, #5)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • The Hyde Park Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #2)
  • Never Pick up Hitch-hikers!
  • A Vow of Silence (Sister Joan Mystery, #1)
  • Bad Samaritan (Sister Agatha, #6)
  • The New Shoe (Bony, #15)
  • Waterdance
  • Lord James Harrington and the Spring Mystery
  • Whispers On The Dock (Postcards from Misty Harbor Inn #3)
Sister Carol Anne O'Marie was a mystery writer and a nun in the St. Joseph of Carondelet religious order.

She wrote eleven novels with the protagonist Sister Mary Helen, an elderly nun who solves crimes. Most of the books are based in San Francisco.

Her final book, Like a Swarm of Bees, is about the origins of the Sisters of St. Joseph in the United States.

Sister Carol Anne O'Marie and Sister Mauree
More about Carol Anne O'Marie...

Sister Mary Helen (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1)
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • The Missing Madonna (Sister Mary Helen, #3)
  • Murder in Ordinary Time (Sister Mary Helen, #4)
  • Murder Makes a Pilgrimage (Sister Mary Helen, #5)
  • Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)
  • Death of an Angel (Sister Mary Helen, #7)
  • Death Takes Up a Collection (Sister Mary Helen, #8)
  • The Corporal Works of Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #10)
  • Murder at the Monks' Table (Sister Mary Helen, #11)