Start by marking “All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)” as Want to Read:
All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)

All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla #3)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  40 reviews
In one of the finest and most pivotal books in this critically acclaimed series, never before published in the U.S., D.S. Kathy Kolla reports to NewScotland Yard and to D.C.I. David Brock's Serious Crime Division.
Just before Kolla is to start her new job,a young woman is found viscously murdered in a leafy, well-heeled suburb, and the grotesque details of the slaughter ap
Published September 15th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published August 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about All My Enemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All My Enemies

James Thane
DS Kathy Kolla has just been assigned to the Scotland Yard's Serious Crime Division. The day before she is supposed to report, the divisions's boss, David Brock, calls and asks her to come to the scene of an especially brutal murder. A young woman has returned home from an evening at the theater and been savagely killed in her own bedroom.

Kathy discovers that the murder shares some commonalities with the killings of a number of other young women and suspects that she and her unit may be on the t
Kirsti
This author usually includes insider information on a particular subject--stamp collecting, mental institutions, Karl Marx's private life, the history and architecture of shopping malls--and in this book I enjoyed learning about the theater.

Complex and enthralling mystery. There's really only one character (Kathy Kolla) who's fully developed, but she's wonderful, and the plot, dialogue, and description are all excellent.

This one kept me entertained through two taxi rides, a bus ride, and a fli
Patricia
I was confused when I started this because I thought it was the latest entry in a series I thoroughly enjoy but the relationships of the characters did not reflect this. Upon looking at the title list in the front of the book I found it was actually the third in the series but apparently has not been published in the U.S. until now. Urgh! Anyway, once I realized this I dove into it and it proved to be quite good. Maitland was an architect and buildings and landscapes are always a primary part of ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire
Kathy Kolla's Puzzle Corner

I haven't got past the opening page of this book yet. In the first paragraph Kathy Kolla is pondering a word puzzle. Make at least 130 words from the letters in"claim to dream". I got to 130 but had to resort to "I, Rearrangement Servant" (aka Internet Anagram Server) to suss out the 12 letter word "melodramatic".

[My comments are taken from a mailing list discussion and as such contain spoilers!]

[on the characters]

I'm not picking up any huge inconsistencies between t

Ivonne Rovira
Jul 24, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: suspense seekers
Recommended to Ivonne by: Magda
Barry Maitland crafts yet another taut, suspense-ridden mystery in All My Enemies. The novel has so many twists and turns that it's best to say very little about it so that readers can savor the surprises for themselves. I devoured this fabulous book.

Sweet secretary Angela Hannaford lives with her parents in Kent. When her parents return from a holiday in Germany, they find that their only daughter was brutally raped, murdered and mutilated the night before. Detective Sergeant Kathy Kolla, newly
Karen
Allen & Unwin have re-released Barry Maitland's ALL MY ENEMIES, the third book in the Brock and Kolla series. Given that the book was originally published in around 1996 there were a few things intriguing me. Obviously, whether or not it would stand the test of time, but also, what would it be like going back to a book so early in a series that has since become a favourite.

Interestingly I could still remember this book from the first time I read it, mostly because of the way that it starts t
Karen
I am really enjoying these British police procedurals by Barry Maitland. They are intelligent, well-written, have unusual plots, and interesting characters. In this book, a young woman is found murdered, and at first Kathy Kolla who is new to the Scotland Yard, immediately is drawn to conclude it is this one very despicable man. But all the clues and evidence point away from him, and his alibis stick too well. So Kathy has to look elsewhere. She finds out that this young woman and some of the ot ...more
Morajah
I just finished this book today. A fast read, it was for most part satisfying, Maitland always delivers when it comes to Brock and Kathy solving crime, I was a little confused when I requested book at my local library,thinking it to be a new one in the series, but I realized it was the third in the series, published here in the States until last year (2012) it seems.
The thing that puzzles me is the ending! why did Maitland give such an ending? I was also frustrated as I wanted to see the bad gu
Suspense Magazine
DS Kathy Kolla is ready to report to New Scotland Yard and join DCI David Brock’s Serious Crime Division. But before she steps foot in the door, a murder has taken place and she will lead the investigation to solve this well rehearsed slaughter. In this series, Brock and Kolla will work together to solve this crime and put a stop to the person behind the grotesque murderer. Clues lead them to an amateur drama group and they soon realize that other recent murders are tied in to the plays performe ...more
Susan
Somehow, I missed this when it first came out. What a pleasure to read it now! Kathy Kolla is set to join Brock's serious crime unit. Even before she can report for duty, Brock asks her to help investigate the brutal death of a young woman. Police search the woman's acquaintances, and are suspicious of her boss, who has a history of inappropriate behavior. At the same time, they look for a possible serial killer. Clues that Kolla produce lead them to an amateur dramatic society, whose production ...more
Carole A Massey
Getting inside their heads.

perfect mysteries leave you wanting more. Maitland always delivers.
Brock and Kolla are quite a team. the further into the series you go, the more you respect their abilities and insight into the not so pleasant worlds of the murderers they are pursuing.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Enjoyed my first Barry Maitland mystery, discovered when I saw him on a panel with Anne Zouroudi.

DS Kathy Kolla starts a new job at New Scotland Yard, reporting to DCI David Brock in the Serious Crimes Division. She's got a fast start when a beautiful blonde is found in a staged position, her throat cut open.

Careful police work, determined investigation and creative thinking make the mystery an excellent read with a surprisingly clever ending. Great dialogue, love the London setting - tubes, f
Serena
Was an interesting story with some neat twists, but not the most attention-keeping book I've read lately. I didn't hurry home to read it or stay up to finish it...it was an ok book and I may continue the series.
Sher
Great plot in this 3rd book. Love how they got the accomplice. The last chapter was a puzzle though.
Jill Hutchinson
This is the second of this series that I have read and liked it very much. The continuing characters of Brock and Kroll are called to a particularly horrific murder of a young woman who doesn't seem to have an enemy in the world. They begin to wonder if there is some connection to other unsolved murders in the area and to a local amateur theater group. Kroll insinuates herself into the group and soon finds herself in danger. She also meets some eccentric characters before the case is solved, all ...more
Frank
An excellent read. Under-rated, as are all the titles in this series.
Jan C
Oct 09, 2010 Jan C rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kirstie
Shelves: england, mystery
Another page turner from Barry Maitland. It took me a little while to get into this. I think it just sat on my shelf for a long time. Then I picked up the other day. And I had trouble putting it down.

It has a few red herrings. Some of which I fell for. I certainly didn’t figure out the killer.

It started out as a kind of grisly murder and then there was a certain amount of perversion and the world of the theater thrown in.

Wonderful read.
Sarahj
This is one of my favourite books from Barry Maitland; I have read it possibly 5 times now. I do love the general writing of Mr Maitland, especially his complete description of place (obviously owing to his architectural background), but in a way that does allow you to imagine the space and places he talks about without over description?? Every time I read this I get caught up amd forget that I know how the story ends. Love it every time.
4ZZZ Book Club
Barry Maitland joined Sky in the studio to talk about Brock and Kolla, the impact of place and setting on a story and the joys of exploring a diverse range of interests and hobbies, all in the name of keeping the writing real. The interview was originally broadcast on The Book Club on 30/08/2012.
Mickey Hoffman
This is one of the best British detective mysteries that I have read recently. My only complaint is that I couldn't quite get into the lead female detective's character until I was almost finished reading the book.
Cook Memorial Public Library
A 2013 staff fiction favorite recommended by Jane.

Check our catalog: http://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore/...
Helen
A pageturner that fills in some of the gaps in the characters' backstories but he is a bit overheated on plot resolution at the end. His later work is more controlled and considered.
Obisbooks
Interesting mystery, just not sure about the characters, but it's the first I've read and it's a series, so I'll give another a try sometime.
Deb
Again, i'm reading all this author's book in order written. I enjoyed this one as well -- did not figure out the ending so was happy!
Mary G.
This is the first in Brock and Kolla series. It was great. The story is a very good police procedural and I wish there were more like it.
Joanne
Another entertaining read from Barry Maitland. If you like mysteries, worth picking up.
Jacqui Lademann
Much better than your average run of the mill crime fiction.

Cordelia Nance
Enjoyed it but do not understand purpose of the final chapter...otherwise, very good.
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • Death Toll (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine #3)
  • Malice in the Highlands (Erskine Powell, #1)
  • The Blood Detective
  • Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope, #6)
  • Game Over (Bill Slider, #11)
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • Far Cry
  • The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1)
  • Death And The Chaste Apprentice (Charlie Peace, #1)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
  • The Odds (Richard Christie, #4)
  • What I Hate
  • The Picasso Scam (Charlie Priest, #1)
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
Barry Maitland is the author of the acclaimed Brock and Kolla series of crime mystery novels, which are set in London, where Barry grew up after his family moved there.

His books have been described as whydunits as much as whodunits, concerned with the devious histories and motivations of their characters. Barry's background in architecture drew him to the structured character of the mystery novel,
More about Barry Maitland...
The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1) No Trace (Brock & Kolla, #8) The Chalon Heads (Brock & Kolla, #4) Dark Mirror (Brock & Kolla, #10) The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)