Official Ubuntu Book, The (4th Edition)

Official Ubuntu Book, The (4th Edition)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Ubuntu is a complete, free operating system that emphasizes community, support, and ease of use without compromising speed, power, or flexibility. It's Linux for human beings--designed for everyone from computer novices to experts. Ubuntu 9.04 is the latest release--more powerful, more flexible, and friendlier than ever. "The Official Ubuntu Book, Fourth Edition, "will get...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Prentice Hall PTR (first published August 21st 2006)

Peter
This book was a little odd to me, I'm not exactly sure who the target audience is supposed to be. The book does give a pretty good overview of all things Ubuntu, which is a good thing. However, it's a bit of a jump to go from a chapter that explains how to use an email client and firefox, to one discussing partition, LVM and editing fstab.

If you are an IT manager, or administrator and thinking about installing Ubuntu in your environment this book is probably good for you. If you are however, li...more
Chessa
Great starter book for newbies like me to Ubuntu and Linux in general. Comes with two CDs, one has the desktop version of ubuntu for trial/installation and the other is a server disc. I really liked reading the history of the project and about their philosophy. It's by nature and incomplete text, but it's a great starting point for installation and getting your feet wet - particularly if you're worried about not being able to access the internet while you're installing/troubleshooting. There is...more
Tee Jay
This is a great book, very user friendly and easy to read. I thought I knew enough about Ubuntu to consider myself a semi-advanced user, but I still learned a lot from reading this book--especially when it comes to learning how to become involved. This book also provides great starting points, and points to resources for further research and learning on Ubuntu.
I highly recommend this book; it should be on both new and experienced Ubuntu users' shelves alike.
Ahmed Wahid
This book is the one of the best book you may read if you want to start learning Ubuntu and you are a new member in Linux world but in some points you can feel that this book needs someone have a Linux background to understand and for this do not count only on this book to learn and understand the Ubuntu ( Linux) word , use some media from internet and visit Ubuntu forums .

4 Stars..

Anthony Papillion
Loved this book! I've been generally working with various flavors of Linux since 2002 and thought I was pretty familiar with the OS and with Ubuntu in particular but I learned quite a bit from the book. Definitely a great read if you're wanting to get up to speed on the distro quickly or if you're an advanced user wanting a refresher on how great Ubuntu really is.
Catcheeto
The book is a good over all, but glazes over a lot of detail. Was hoping for detailed tips, so far I have gotten a lot of things I can look up, so while helpful, not quite what I was looking for for me. I plan on handing it off to my dad who knows little about linux and probably benefit quite a bit.
Carl Hamlin
For an 'official' book about the Ubuntu linux distribution, it barely scratches the surface. The information contained herein very much pertains to user level usage of the operating system and leaves out a lot of detail which would come in handy for those of us making heavier use of Ubuntu.
Joseph
This is a wonderful beginning for anyone interested in Ubuntu and the history of the most popular Linux Distribution.

This book is intended as an overview for newcomers to Linux and the Ubuntu OS and Canonical's mission.

This is a perfect read for anyone that wants to know more about Ubuntu.
Owayss Kabtoul
Jun 29, 2012 Owayss Kabtoul rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linux newbies
I remember flipping through the pages of this book and finding it utterly boring mainly because at that time (2011) I have already been using Ubuntu for two years. But if it's your first time switching to Ubuntu, it might provide a quick and easy start.
Daisy
Interessante inleiding op het project Ubuntu en de hele filosofie daarachter. De praktische hoofdstukken zijn erg inleidend, dus voor diepgaandere kennis moet je op zoek naar een ander boek.
TaleofGenji
May 15, 2012 TaleofGenji marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
 Lio  Proeliator
very helpful .. first time you will be treated as a partner not a customer>> life is enjoyable with Open source culture :) ..
Ed
It is a great resource. It is the book to have with you whenever you are working with your computer.
Elizabeth
condition adequate

how to use the ubuntu linux operating system
3at3o0ot
i want to read this book i feel it's amazing one
Zach D.
Great reference guide, got it for migration.
Hamid
Oct 03, 2007 Hamid marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tttttttttttt
ffffffff
Robert
Robert added it
Jul 06, 2014
Joe Barber
Joe Barber is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Roxroy
Roxroy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Alan Sauter
Alan Sauter marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
John
John added it
Mar 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Official Ubuntu Book, The, Adobe Reader The Official Ubuntu Book (2nd Edition) Official Ubuntu Book, The (3rd Edition) The Official Ubuntu Server Book The Official Ubuntu Server Book