Start by marking “Breakaway” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
LJ knows her place in the world is on the soccer field. When she’s out there scoring goals, everything’s right. But being a big-shot on the field has started going to her head. She’s been letting her temper get the best of her—both on the field and off, alienating everyone around her. Everyone except Tabitha, the popular girl who cares more about credit cards than yellow c ...more
Published May 13th 2010 by Philomel (first published May 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Breakaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakaway

Jaina
Apr 13, 2013 Jaina rated it did not like it
This book is far from the best book I've ever read.
Lily is a self-absorbed, slightly stuck-up soccer star who thinks a little too much of her value to the team. The book is a lesson in teamwork, etc, but Lily's just a little too selfish to be very loveable. Not that she's a little prig or anything, but you just don't find yourself connecting to her problems at all, because you just know she'll learn her lesson in the end. It's that kind of book.
This is, however, a good book for people who love
Chloe Cornel
Jan 05, 2015 Chloe Cornel rated it really liked it
I think that Breakaway is a great book. The story has ups and downs, and it includes events that would happen in reality. The plot is about a girl named Lily, and she is excellent at soccer as an individual. This ends up being a problem because she thinks more about herself during games and doesn't let her teammates help her. Since not the whole team is working together, the team starts to have issues at games. Lily learns a very important lesson in the story. I like how I can relate to this sto ...more
Ms. Yingling
Lily lives for soccer, and her involved but busy family knows it. Because she cares so deeply about the sport, she has some problems with impulse control on the field. When she tries to impress a scout at the expense of the team and other players, they turn against her and she is benched for two games. At the same time, her grandfather moves into her room and she is blamed for damaging a sign when she didn't, although she was definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since her other frien ...more
Tatianag014
Nov 12, 2011 Tatianag014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-trimester
Breakaway is a great book. It contains a lot of interesting characters. Like the main, Lilly James. Lilly James is a great soccer player, when ever she is on the field nothing can distract her. She is the captain of her team. Lilly likes to run and kick. Lilly James just found her place after it took her ten years. now Lilly is twelve. In the book Lilly learns she has to control her temper. cause If she doesn't Lilly is going to lose her best friend Vee. Lilly and Vee have been friends for a lon ...more
Nicole E
Jun 04, 2015 Nicole E rated it really liked it
Breakaway is about a soccer star named Lily. When she's out on the soccer field, nothing can distract her. She is like the head of the team. Through out the book, Lily learns that she needs to control her temper, or she may lose one of her best friends, Vee. This book mainly deals with friendships, and trust. I recommend this book to people who enjoy the sport, soccer.
Cindy Hudson
Aug 24, 2010 Cindy Hudson rated it really liked it
Lily was born to play soccer, or at least that’s how she felt the first time she kicked a soccer ball. She’s good at it too, the best on her team. But when she finds out the hard way that what she thinks is best for her isn’t always best for her team or her family and friends, she must work to earn back everyone’s trust.

Breakaway by Andrea Montalbano is a great book for any girl who loves to play soccer or even watch from the sidelines. Lily’s confidence in her ability to play the game is a good
Alexia
Aug 10, 2014 Alexia rated it liked it
i thought this was a good book. although some of the terminology may have been a little confusing for anyone who has not played soccer before. this is a good book for kids who are just starting to read longer novels and who are just beginning to be introduced in to young adult literature.
Lydia Wede
Jun 18, 2014 Lydia Wede rated it really liked it
This book is about a naturally good soccer player who is a little too selfish and temperamental on the field.

I gave it 4 stars because it was good but a little cheesy. Plus some of the conversations are in Spanish and Italian so it's hard to understand.
Nehas
May 21, 2011 Nehas rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I picked it up just because judging the front cover, it was a book about soccer(I admit it). I know you can't judge a book by it's cover but Andrea Montalbano is excellent writer! It teaches you that scoring a bunch of goals isn't the greatest thing, giving someone else a chance is.This book is about a girl named LJ-a soccer star. LJ doen't really get the term of teamwork, and while trying to hog the ball for herself and score, she takes a chance of scoring AWAY from her t ...more
Amreen
Dec 05, 2012 Amreen rated it liked it

Okay first things first, I judged a book by its cover, the reason I picked this book up is because of the cover. I love soccer so I couldn't resist. Breakaway is a good book, it didn't have me jumping out of my seat like crazy but it did teach me some things and I enjoyed reading it. It is a realistic fiction story about a twelve year old girl with a passion and a temper and I like reading books like these every once in awhile. It was a bit predictable but it is Andrea Montalbano's debut so it
Erin Forson
Dec 02, 2011 Erin Forson rated it it was ok
by Andrea Montalbano
I was hoping for the female equivalent of Crackback by John Coy or Night Hoops by Carl Deuker, instead I got a neatly tied up story about a hot-headed superstar named L.J. who rocks on the soccer field but lets her temper get away from her. Will she learn to cool it and be a team-player? Sadly, what I got was an easy-to-read, but neatly tied up story with few surprises. If you are a girl who is truly hard-pressed to find a book about soccer, and likes to read about t
Kris Springer
I'd actually give this one a 3 1/2. Entertaining story about soccer for girls; main character is a terrific young soccer player who becomes selfish and suffers the consequences. The author understands soccer (she's a former star college soccer player) as well as competitiveness and the need to be a team member instead of a hotdog on the field and in life.

The family members were okay but not fleshed out enough. The story was good but fairly predictable, so that's why less than a 4. But a good bo
Zoe Neiheisel
This book is one of the best books I've read Im glad LJ becomes Vee's friend again
Maddie Rose
Sep 12, 2012 Maddie Rose rated it it was amazing
Best soccer book of all time!

Lilly's life was soccer. Vee was her best friend. When she has to learn that Friendship is more important then soccer she has to risk loosing her chance on being on the team. In this wonderful book find out if Lily will learn the meaning the friendship and still get her shot at the team. Or will her temper get the best of her and loose everything she has including her best friend and the soccer team! This book is for all the soccer familys out there! On the sideline
Maria
Jun 21, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
^^ This was written by a local author who came to our school. They were supposed to come one day and give us books (if ordered) but couldn't make it. The lady in charge found me and gave me a copy (but couldn't find anyone else) and I read it that evening. So yay, I was among the first to read it.
Anyway, I liked it a lot. I got sad, but it was nice that the character wasn't perfect. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves soccer, or sports in general.
Emma
I just finished this book and thought that it was okay. I liked the characters, and that you learn something about having to be the best, but there was a lot of soccer action that was dull to read. However, I think this a great book for any soccer player, especially for one who needs to learn to share the spotlight.
Tracie
Jun 18, 2010 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school, elem
Lily James gets soccer and she is exceptional. What she doesn't always get is teamwork and how to control her emotions, especially anger. Some emotional choices off and on the field force Lily to examine her approach to life and utlimately make her a better person and soccer player.
Teri
Aug 31, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it
Another fun soccer book by Andrea Montalbano. This is actually the first of the soccer sister books. LJ ends up getting suspended from the team and learning a good lesson about teamwork. She realizes she can't do everything on her own and that her friends are always there for her.
Angela
Nov 27, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing
I LOVE BREAKAWAY by Andrea Montalbano. It's taught me so much about soccer. Great description about the game on the pitch. :) I think I have enough knowledge to start being serious in our soccer matches coming up.
Mrs. Banta
Oct 30, 2012 Mrs. Banta rated it liked it
Mrs. Banta says, "This book has a great message, and I thought the story was very realistic. It's the Napa County Reads book this year, so give it a shot...soccer pun intended!"
Kara
Aug 04, 2011 Kara rated it really liked it
This book was great for a child to learn to accept that you aren't always in control. It also shows that self control is important in many parts of life.
Olivia
Jan 30, 2011 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Breakaway teaches that temper is a strong feeling, but is not to be used on a soccer field. Lily James(LJ) has a strong temper, and it needs to be controlled.
Anne
Jul 16, 2010 Anne rated it liked it
read it to keep up with my soccer daughters

fun read

soccer themed
pre-teen/teen issues

coping with temper/emotions
Zoe Redei
Apr 27, 2012 Zoe Redei rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it teaches a good lesson in life and about sports. Also it was a fun, fast,and easy read.
Mrs Smith Smith
A girl learns what is to be a team player, and finds herself as she has to sit the bench during soccer.
Lorraine Stinson
Feb 26, 2012 Lorraine Stinson rated it liked it
Paige
Jul 15, 2011 Paige rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book!!! You should read it especially if you are a soccer player
Shala wright
May 26, 2012 Shala wright rated it really liked it
it thought mhe alot of friendship and how i may seem when im selffish or stubborn
Lauren W.
Jun 24, 2010 Lauren W. rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot. It taught that winning isn't everything.
Joshua
Feb 18, 2012 Joshua rated it liked it
an ok book but trying too hard... also no grab for wii:)
  • Shutout
  • Franny Parker
  • Shoot-Out
  • The Ball Hogs (Kickers, #1)
  • Julia Gillian (and The Art Of Knowing)
  • My So Called Death
  • Dating for Dummies
  • Fall to Grace
  • Stealing Bases (Pretty Tough, #4)
  • Queen of Secrets
  • My Name Is Sally Little Song
  • Soccerland
  • Trouble at Trident Academy
  • I See You Baby
VEE for FREE! This week only (Sept. 23rd-27th) you can download a digital copy of "Vee Caught Offside" for free! Here are the links:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Vee-Caught-Offs...

Barnes & Noble (NOOK): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/vee-c...

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/vee-...

Kobo: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/v...

Once you've finished, please take the time to rate and revi
More about Andrea Montalbano...