Start by marking “Rain” as Want to Read:

ISSUED TO:
Mel: tough 15-year-old female spy

ASSETS AND PERSONNEL:
Thomas Syme [AKA: Shadow] principal of Watson Institute and Mel's guardian

Ray: meteorology prodigy and Mel's best friend

Caidy: jealous student who may know more than she's letting on

Bonnie Robar: Ray's mom, also a meteorologist, whose whereab
Published April 23rd 2010 by Quake, a division of Echelon Press (first published January 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain

Lindsay Paige
Dec 17, 2010 Lindsay Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
Rain is definitely nothing like you would expect after reading the back. Rain is a book that makes you devour every word until its finished. Notice I didn’t say want to devour. It actually makes you do it. You could be reading it and friends come over to hang out and you internally moan because you need to keep reading, to find out what happens next.

Rain is definitely a book I would recommend to anyone. It would be the first book to pop out of my mouth. Nicolas might only be fifteen, but don’t
Rose
Sep 26, 2010 Rose rated it really liked it
Why did this get four stars? It was fun. Amusing. Fluffy entertainment. I enjoyed reading this book. Also, for a 14 year old author, this is pretty darn good. Most people at this age cannot write NEARLY this well. I am deeply impressed.

The main character, Mel, was wonderful. I am very impressed that a 14 year old could write a main character who was not super-perfect-and-just-like-everyone-else-while-insisting-that-she's-so-different. She was a spy, and she was obsessed with spying. She had a HU
Phil Giunta
Jan 03, 2012 Phil Giunta rated it liked it
Amber Rind is a teenage spy raised practically from childbirth at the top secret Watson Institute in Rochester, NY. There, students are taught academics in the morning, self-defense and espionage in the afternoon. Advancement comes in the form of moving up through color coded groups (Yellow Group, Green Group, and so forth up to Red Group). Amber is one of Watson's most prodigious students, highly disciplined and motivated, yet rigid and practically devoid of a social life.

Enter the new kid, Ant
Waller
Jun 24, 2010 Waller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a total surprise. At the Book Fair on Printer's Row in Chicago a week ago, this teenage writer and her mother were handselling the book, and I bought a copy expecting relatively little - it had all the marks of a self-published work (it isn't - just from a very small independent publisher) and knowing the author was 15, I figured it would be fairly jejune.

Wrong. While perhaps not an award winner (is there an award for books authored by teenagers?), it matches up very well with other YA
Bart
Oct 30, 2010 Bart rated it really liked it
Carefully crafted and written with unexpected insight, this is the story of Mel, a girl dedicated from birth to her vocation, which is to be a spy. Even the other kids in the spy school have time for silliness and dances and flirting, but not Mel. Mel spends her every waking moment studying and perfecting her craft. All her powers depend on her personal skill, and she sees every situation in terms of spy-craft. She takes every opportunity to practice that craft, often with unexpected results.

Can
Nora
Jun 15, 2011 Nora rated it it was amazing
To properly review Rain, I must divide it into 2 parts: before page 136 and after page 136.

Before Page 136: I hated Mel in this section. I found her cocky, stuck up, and a very unlikeable protagonist. I am not sure if Nicolas intended for the reader to hate Mel as I did. I was considering giving up. However, the plot was strong, the ideas well-thought out, and when Mel was heartbroken, I did feel sorry for her. The writing had to be incredibly well done, because normally when a hated-protagonist
Carl Brookins
Dec 12, 2010 Carl Brookins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 14-20
I don’t routinely review young adult fiction. I consider Rain a special case and I judged the book using my normal benchmarks.
Rain has many of the problems of a debut novel in any genre. It is too long, too wordy, there are too many characters, especially considering the core of the plot, and there are some minor lapses in the internal logic. Having said that, I must also say that the novel is almost unputdownable. The author’s insight into her generation’s motivations and attitudes is right on.
Kate
Jun 21, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
I received this book from my sister-in-law, who highly recommended it. I wasn't sure, going in, about reading a book written by a then-14-year-old author, and, to be sure, there are parts of the novel that lack a bit of finesse, but overall, I found this to be an eminently readable and fun book that I would certainly recommend.

I enjoyed the character of Mel, and I thought the plot was fast-paced and intriguing, even though it did get bogged down at times by sleepovers and outfit descriptions. I
Anna
May 08, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: may-2010
I don't know what I was expecting going into this book, but it definitely went beyond whatever that was. It was fast-paced and fun to read--and I couldn't wait to find out how it ended. It was unpredictable, funny, and portrayed the relationships between high school students perfectly...for the most part. Though there were a few scenes that had me skeptical, overall I would highly recommend this to any reader of YA.
Abby
Dec 26, 2010 Abby rated it really liked it
I thought this was an incredible book, especially from someone this young. I was surprised to find that I had difficulty putting it down. Kieryn, you should be really proud of your novel. It is very inspiring to have someone in my grade to have accomplished something this great. Anyway, awesome book!! I loved the relationship between Mel and Ray, and it drove me crazy (in a good way) how Ray didn't remember anything!!!!!!! Fantastic work :)
Aug 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
What a sweet and special treat that was...

Questions plagued me though out this book, I have no idea why I did not start putting things together sooner, but I felt like I was as much in the dark as Mel was all the way up till the end. Which, I loved and hated!

The middle seemed to drag a bit for me, but the ending more than made up for it.

A wonderful novel about finding out who you are, and trying not to be afraid of it.

Full review to come
Gwen
Aug 09, 2011 Gwen rated it really liked it
I really liked this suspenseful, exciting book. At the beginning you kind of get your first impressions of the characters. You may not like them at first, or you may love them but now know enough about them, but the progress so well throughout the story that you feel like you've known them you're whole life. The plot is ever-changing, and you don't know what will happen next until it does. This book is an awesome read!
Scott Heydt
Jul 25, 2010 Scott Heydt rated it really liked it
Amber (a.k.a. Mel) is a routine-driven, Vitamin C guzzling, pony-tail sporting, and behind-kicking spy. Yet all it takes is a little Rain to soften this hardened young woman. In Rain, Kieryn Nicolas develops clever yet simple symmetry--finding the one you care for most requires finding yourself in the process.
Tasha
Sep 27, 2009 Tasha rated it it was amazing
I read this book in less than 24 hours it was so good. Kieryn is a masterful writer, and I cannot imagine a better book to kick off her career. I am looking forward to reading some more of her books though -- so keep them coming Kieryn!!!! :)
Manda Karpierz
Ending was a little abrupt compared to the lengthy middle. A lot of similarities with Ally Carter's spy series.
Ashley
Sep 09, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
One of the quickest, most entertaining stories I've read in a while, though I may be biased, as I love everything Kieryn writes. :)
Robby
Aug 04, 2010 Robby rated it really liked it
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Doublethinkagain
Doublethinkagain rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Kristi
Kristi rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Kaite D
Kaite D rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2009
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
May 26, 2012
Isabel S.
Isabel S. rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2010
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2011
Connor
Connor rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2011