Wolf in the Shadows (Sharon McCone, #14)

Wolf in the Shadows (Sharon McCone #13)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  879 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Successful in her investigative work for All Souls Legal Cooperative, happy with her newly renovated house, and feeling somewhat more secure in her relationship with the mysterious environmental activist, Hy Ripinsky, Sharon is shocked to find herself suddenly faced with a wrenching ultimatum. No longer a small, informal co-op, All Souls has grown. New legal partners, exas...more
Published July 1st 1994 by Mysterious Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf in the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf in the Shadows

Ed
#14 in the Sharon McCone series. This novel appears to mark a watershed for author Muller. The book was the winner of the 1994 Anthony Award for Best Mystery and was short-listed for the Edgar, Shamus, and Dilys awards. Sharon's long time legal cooperative employer is changing and wants Sharon to assume a position she doesn't want - although she also doesn't want to quit All Souls. Her lover Hy Ripinsky has disappeared and as she searches for him, she again questions their relationship. The auth...more
Jerry
Good Plot, but most all the action quite implausible...

We tried previously one of the early Marcia Muller stories (#4) about her San Fran-based private eye Sharon McCone. Having found that 1984 offering a little lackluster, we jumped ahead to Wolf, #14 of 22, written in 1993. To us, a reasonably entertaining plot was spoiled by maneuvers and border hopping and such stuff that all seemed way too dubious unless our leading lady has suddenly become Wonder Woman. Once again, Sharon ignores her payi...more
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
"Beware of the wolf in the shadows. He is watchful and patient, and when he catches you he will eat you up - skin and bones and heart."

I read Wolf in the Shadows by Marcia Muller for the Book Awards Challenge II. This book was published in 1993 and won the Anthony Award in 1994.

This book is a Sharon McCone mystery and it chronicles ten days in her life. Sharon is a private investigator for All Souls Legal Cooperative in San Francisco. Her lover, Hy Ripinsky, has disappeared and she is searching...more
aPriL purrs 'n hisses
As the series has progressed, P.I. Sharon McCone has been very changed by her job. Initially, the excitement of near death experiences and discovering what lies hidden in the secret depths of people's lives drove her from case to case, each day a thrill to her. But as the years of meeting criminals and finding bodies has mounted, she has become more depressed and the thrill more mechanical, a matter of adrenalin instead of the intellectual joy of helping people. Finally, crossing a rubicon momen...more
LJ
WOLF IN THE SHADOWS - Ex
Muller, Marcia - 14th in series

On a case that winds through her personal history, San Francisco investigator Sharon McCone hides out in her childhood home near San Diego and crosses, not always legally, the U.S.-Mexican border to end up facing a future quite different than what she--or we--might have predicted. All Souls Legal Cooperative, long Sharon's employer, is assuming a corporate air; the partners want their unconventional investigator to move into a more administr...more
Quillracer
First off, I'm a little confused. This book is listed on Goodreads as both #13 and #14 (depending on the edition) in the Sharon McCone series. So which is it? By the list of books in the series inside the cover, it should be #14.

I was a little let down by There’s Something In A Sunday, the book in this series I read last week. I thought perhaps that one might have been a weaker entry, so I grabbed Wolf In The Shadows to give the author and series another chance.

With 30 books in the Sharon McCone...more
I really like the Sharon McCone mysteries and have read quite a few of them. Unfortunately, I have read some of them out of order and am now having to go back and fill in the gaps. Since I have read a number of the entries in this series that take place after "Wolf in the Shadows", some of the suspense of the story was lost on me. That being said, I found this another engrossing entry in the series.

One of the aspects I love best about this series is that it's set in the San Francisco Bay Area, w...more
Eunira
It was fun to come back to the characters in this series.
Just when All Souls Legal Cooperative hands her a promotion that will tie her to an uninspiring desk job, Sharon McCone's main squeeze, Hy Ripinsky, disappears. An environmentalist, he seemingly consented to deliver a two million dollar ransom demanded by the kidnappers of a biotech biggie. Putting her career crisis on hold, Sharon discovers Hy's abandoned plane, wrecked rental car and the intrigues of a shady international security firm....more
Oddmonster
This is what happens when you're a completionist: you recognize that there's no way to finish except by reading the bits of the series you know you're going to dislike.

Readers, I disliked this bit.

I'm tempted to say that Sharon McCone is so very linked with San Francisco in my mind that when she leaves (here and in Double) I lose interest. But that's not it, as Where Echoes Live was great. Maybe I just hate San Diego.

Regardless, between that and McCone's sudden veering into consumed-by-romance...more
Shannon Appelcline
Nancy
Another great, exciting book in this series.

Just when All Souls Legal Cooperative hands her a promotion that will tie her to an uninspiring desk job, Sharon McCone's main squeeze, Hy Ripinsky, disappears.An environmentalist, he seemingly consented to deliver a two million dollar ransom demanded by the kidnappers of a biotech biggie.Putting her career crisis on hold, Sharon discovers Hy's abandoned plane, wrecked rental car and the intrigues of a shady international security firm.From her family'...more
Michelle Beese
Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone novels are always a treat! I loved my vicarious trip to San Diego and Mexico in this latest McCone adventure! I'm already deep into book number 15! Thanks for the great adventures!
Erin
Given that I basically jumped in to the middle of this series (this is like the 13th of the Sharon McCones), it was surprisingly easy to get into without too much confusion. Obviously a lot of history on her relationship with colleagues that I didn't really get, but overall the author did an excellent job making this book accessible to new readers.

I thought the spin Ms. Muller took on the Mexico/California border culture was really interesting and brought a bit of depth to the mystery. I really...more
Betty
I bought this book new in 1993 and just now am getting around to reading it 20 years later, which should tell you something about my book overbuying habit. Muller was one of the first crime writers to create a believable female PI and this book worked well on that score for me. In the genre, implausible plots are standard; the point is that somehow they pull off the impossible and live for the next book. I thought Muller did a terrific job of creating a sense of place. The dialog was fluid and t...more
Almeta
I did not feel that the characters had much depth, so the villains never felt all that threatening and the heroes never really seemed in jeopardy.

There was a perfect opportunity here to "discuss" the San Diego-Tijuana border illegal immigrant issue; the population in poverty, tourism in border towns, the taking of dolphins by commercial fishing.... It was not taken. There could have been such good location back stories; Agua Caliente greyhound races, Zona Norte red-light district… Well I’m not a...more
Eliana
Apr 06, 2014 Eliana added it
Love Sharon McCone and her colleagues. This author never disappoints.
Melissa
It's really interesting to read a book that is almost 20 years old. So many things have changed in the US Border Patrol, that it's hard to read this without thinking how improbable this story would be in 2011.
However, I really love the character Sharon McCone. She is resourceful and smart. And Muller's prose is fantastic. I really had a sense of place with this book (and the last couple McCone books).
Spotsalots
May 29, 2011 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I picked this up at the market from the book exchange table (which so often has nothing I'd ever dream of reading, but is nonetheless such a valuable service). And I suspect I've read it before, but very long ago.

While as others have pointed out it's implausible in many ways, I happily followed along--I always enjoyed the Sharon McCone series and was perfectly willing to suspend disbelief.
Joy
A biotechnologist is kidnapped. Hy, sent out by his mysterious old associates to exchange the ransom for the victim, also disappears. Sharon is forced to shuttle back and forth across the Mexican border in ways that become more and more dangerous as betrayal looms larger. Extremely atmospheric, both inwardly and outwardly.
Pat
Dec 29, 2013 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Middle of series.
Sharon McCone is investigator. Looking for lover - Hy Ripinsky.
Illegal aliens, kidnapping.
Sharan is a very good investigator.
Good mystery.
Kathy
Feb 26, 2008 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Marianne and Katie H., anyone who enjoys a good female P.I. story
Sharon Malone is fast becoming my favorite P.I.. She predates female private investigators, V.I. Warshawski and Stephanie Plum,and could be their mentors. She is a little too smart, too resourceful and too tough to be a real person, but aren't they all?
Nell
Best entry in the series so far, I think. How plausible or implausible the plot and action are I can't say, never having crossed the border at Tijuana; I read more for character, and Sharon seems to be making some strides here.
Pam
It's been fun watching the heroine solve case after case. Always an interesting journey into her world. I like the relationships and how they develop as well as the nail-biting suspense. Good series. I recommend her.
Kristen
This is another great early Sharon McCone mystery in Boston. This early mysteries propel you to read her latest ones in the 2000-present era. A great read!
Dale
Hadn't read one of Muller's books in many years. It was fun to return to these characters again. This was a good read and I'm eager to read more.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
A very good Sharon McCone mystery. She is an excellent main character--not silly, a good investigator, with believable interactions.
Kimberlyn
when Hy comes up missing, Shar must track down kidnappers and Mexican aliens to find him. She first meets RKI in this novel.
Joyce McKune
Didn't know this was a series. Will probably try another, but this was no Cornwell or Clancy.
Pat
May 15, 2011 Pat added it
Sharon McCone
Jz
Aug 15, 2012 Jz marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery, own
#13
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Hard Time (V.I. Warshawski, #9)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • The Snatch (Nameless Detective, #1)
  • Death Notes (Inspector Wexford, #11)
  • Death Turns a Trick (Rebecca Schwartz, #1)
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,...more
More about Marcia Muller...
Edwin of the Iron Shoes (Sharon McCone, #1) The Broken Promise Land (Sharon McCone, #17) A Wild and Lonely Place (Sharon McCone, #16) Trophies and Dead Things (Sharon McCone, #11) Burn Out (Sharon McCone, #26)