Start by marking “Wolf in the Shadows” as Want to Read:
Wolf in the Shadows

Wolf in the Shadows (Sharon McCone #13)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,220 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Successful in her investigative work for All Souls Legal Cooperative, happy with her newly renovated house, and feeling somewhat more secure in her relationship with the mysterious environmental activist, Hy Ripinsky, Sharon is shocked to find herself suddenly faced with a wrenching ultimatum. No longer a small, informal co-op, All Souls has grown. New legal partners, exas ...more
Published July 1st 1994 by Mysterious Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf in the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf in the Shadows

Ed
Jan 21, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
#14 in the Sharon McCone series. This novel appears to mark a watershed for author Muller. The book was the winner of the 1994 Anthony Award for Best Mystery and was short-listed for the Edgar, Shamus, and Dilys awards. Sharon's long time legal cooperative employer is changing and wants Sharon to assume a position she doesn't want - although she also doesn't want to quit All Souls. Her lover Hy Ripinsky has disappeared and as she searches for him, she again questions their relationship. The auth ...more
Deb
Nov 10, 2016 Deb rated it really liked it
A fast-paced, straight forward action novel. Sharon McCone's position at All Souls is threatened just as her lover Hy Ripinsky goes missing. In her search for answers to Hy's disappearance, Sharon finds herself involved with Mexican crime bosses, illegal immigration, and a corporate kidnapping. The plot was straightforward and fast-moving, and I really enjoyed it!
iamnotabookworm
Feb 11, 2017 iamnotabookworm rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperbacks
Marcia Muller is one of those authors who is married to another author. Amazing, right? Her husband also writes mystery, suspense and thrillers. In fact, I have read one or two of his books and they were really good. Which makes me wonder, does being married to another author who writes the same genre make Miss Muller's writing process easier or not? Does she discuss with her husband her plots and how to improve them? Do they steal ideas from each other? Or borrow? I am just curious how it's lik ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
As the series has progressed, P.I. Sharon McCone has been very changed by her job. Initially, the excitement of near death experiences and discovering what lies hidden in the secret depths of people's lives drove her from case to case, each day a thrill to her. But as the years of meeting criminals and finding bodies has mounted, she has become more depressed and the thrill more mechanical, a matter of adrenalin instead of the intellectual joy of helping people. Finally, crossing a rubicon momen ...more
Jerry
Jul 24, 2010 Jerry rated it it was ok
Good Plot, but most all the action quite implausible...

We tried previously one of the early Marcia Muller stories (#4) about her San Fran-based private eye Sharon McCone. Having found that 1984 offering a little lackluster, we jumped ahead to Wolf, #14 of 22, written in 1993. To us, a reasonably entertaining plot was spoiled by maneuvers and border hopping and such stuff that all seemed way too dubious unless our leading lady has suddenly become Wonder Woman. Once again, Sharon ignores her payi
LJ
WOLF IN THE SHADOWS - Ex
Muller, Marcia - 14th in series

On a case that winds through her personal history, San Francisco investigator Sharon McCone hides out in her childhood home near San Diego and crosses, not always legally, the U.S.-Mexican border to end up facing a future quite different than what she--or we--might have predicted. All Souls Legal Cooperative, long Sharon's employer, is assuming a corporate air; the partners want their unconventional investigator to move into a more administr
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
"Beware of the wolf in the shadows. He is watchful and patient, and when he catches you he will eat you up - skin and bones and heart."

I read Wolf in the Shadows by Marcia Muller for the Book Awards Challenge II. This book was published in 1993 and won the Anthony Award in 1994.

This book is a Sharon McCone mystery and it chronicles ten days in her life. Sharon is a private investigator for All Souls Legal Cooperative in San Francisco. Her lover, Hy Ripinsky, has disappeared and she is searching
Quillracer
Aug 27, 2013 Quillracer rated it it was ok
First off, I'm a little confused. This book is listed on Goodreads as both #13 and #14 (depending on the edition) in the Sharon McCone series. So which is it? By the list of books in the series inside the cover, it should be #14.

I was a little let down by There’s Something In A Sunday, the book in this series I read last week. I thought perhaps that one might have been a weaker entry, so I grabbed Wolf In The Shadows to give the author and series another chance.

With 30 books in the Sharon McCone
Dec 26, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I really like the Sharon McCone mysteries and have read quite a few of them. Unfortunately, I have read some of them out of order and am now having to go back and fill in the gaps. Since I have read a number of the entries in this series that take place after "Wolf in the Shadows", some of the suspense of the story was lost on me. That being said, I found this another engrossing entry in the series.

One of the aspects I love best about this series is that it's set in the San Francisco Bay Area, w
Eunira
Sep 15, 2010 Eunira rated it liked it
It was fun to come back to the characters in this series.
Just when All Souls Legal Cooperative hands her a promotion that will tie her to an uninspiring desk job, Sharon McCone's main squeeze, Hy Ripinsky, disappears. An environmentalist, he seemingly consented to deliver a two million dollar ransom demanded by the kidnappers of a biotech biggie. Putting her career crisis on hold, Sharon discovers Hy's abandoned plane, wrecked rental car and the intrigues of a shady international security firm.
Shannon Appelcline
Mar 26, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Audrey
This is what happens when you're a completionist: you recognize that there's no way to finish except by reading the bits of the series you know you're going to dislike.

Readers, I disliked this bit.

I'm tempted to say that Sharon McCone is so very linked with San Francisco in my mind that when she leaves (here and in Double) I lose interest. But that's not it, as Where Echoes Live was great. Maybe I just hate San Diego.

Regardless, between that and McCone's sudden veering into consumed-by-romance
Nancy
May 21, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Another great, exciting book in this series.

Just when All Souls Legal Cooperative hands her a promotion that will tie her to an uninspiring desk job, Sharon McCone's main squeeze, Hy Ripinsky, disappears.An environmentalist, he seemingly consented to deliver a two million dollar ransom demanded by the kidnappers of a biotech biggie.Putting her career crisis on hold, Sharon discovers Hy's abandoned plane, wrecked rental car and the intrigues of a shady international security firm.From her family'
Kristen
Apr 17, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery
In the 14th installment of Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone series, Wolf in the Shadows, things were looking up for Sharon in her life. All Souls wanted to promote her with a raise and give her a desk for a career opportunity. She loved her new home in San Francisco. She also felt happy and secure with her relationship with Hy, until he disappeared suddenly. Since Sharon was torn about her job, she decided to go find Hy and learn about RKI, an international search-and-rescue firm, and bring her bro ...more
Betty
Aug 21, 2013 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, american
I bought this book new in 1993 and just now am getting around to reading it 20 years later, which should tell you something about my book overbuying habit. Muller was one of the first crime writers to create a believable female PI and this book worked well on that score for me. In the genre, implausible plots are standard; the point is that somehow they pull off the impossible and live for the next book. I thought Muller did a terrific job of creating a sense of place. The dialog was fluid and t ...more
Erin
Sep 23, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: vbc, mystery
Given that I basically jumped in to the middle of this series (this is like the 13th of the Sharon McCones), it was surprisingly easy to get into without too much confusion. Obviously a lot of history on her relationship with colleagues that I didn't really get, but overall the author did an excellent job making this book accessible to new readers.

I thought the spin Ms. Muller took on the Mexico/California border culture was really interesting and brought a bit of depth to the mystery. I really
Almeta
Jan 08, 2011 Almeta rated it it was ok
Shelves: dying2read
I did not feel that the characters had much depth, so the villains never felt all that threatening and the heroes never really seemed in jeopardy.

There was a perfect opportunity here to "discuss" the San Diego-Tijuana border illegal immigrant issue; the population in poverty, tourism in border towns, the taking of dolphins by commercial fishing.... It was not taken. There could have been such good location back stories; Agua Caliente greyhound races, Zona Norte red-light district… Well I’m not a
Spuddie
Nov 12, 2015 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a little weird reading this book in print, as I've listened to the entire series to this point (this is #13) in audio version. But I adapted, and found it to be an excellent entry in this series that I only just discovered a couple of years ago.

Sharon McCone is a PI working for All Souls Legal Collective in San Francisco. As it's an older series (it started in 1977 and this book puts us in the early 1990's) there are some things that are obviously dated, but regardless of available techn
Melissa
It's really interesting to read a book that is almost 20 years old. So many things have changed in the US Border Patrol, that it's hard to read this without thinking how improbable this story would be in 2011.
However, I really love the character Sharon McCone. She is resourceful and smart. And Muller's prose is fantastic. I really had a sense of place with this book (and the last couple McCone books).
Joy
Jan 27, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it
A biotechnologist is kidnapped. Hy, sent out by his mysterious old associates to exchange the ransom for the victim, also disappears. Sharon is forced to shuttle back and forth across the Mexican border in ways that become more and more dangerous as betrayal looms larger. Extremely atmospheric, both inwardly and outwardly.
Spotsalots
May 29, 2011 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I picked this up at the market from the book exchange table (which so often has nothing I'd ever dream of reading, but is nonetheless such a valuable service). And I suspect I've read it before, but very long ago.

While as others have pointed out it's implausible in many ways, I happily followed along--I always enjoyed the Sharon McCone series and was perfectly willing to suspend disbelief.
Pam
Aug 22, 2009 Pam rated it it was amazing
It's been fun watching the heroine solve case after case. Always an interesting journey into her world. I like the relationships and how they develop as well as the nail-biting suspense. Good series. I recommend her.
Kathy
Jul 15, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
This is a new series for me, and one I will enjoy reading through. It is a bit dated, set in the '90s (pay phones...). But the characters are good, the plotting nicely done, and the story well told. The writing is only so so, as fits the genre.
Michelle Beese
Mar 07, 2014 Michelle Beese rated it it was amazing
Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone novels are always a treat! I loved my vicarious trip to San Diego and Mexico in this latest McCone adventure! I'm already deep into book number 15! Thanks for the great adventures!
Nell
May 14, 2013 Nell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Best entry in the series so far, I think. How plausible or implausible the plot and action are I can't say, never having crossed the border at Tijuana; I read more for character, and Sharon seems to be making some strides here.
Kathy
Feb 23, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marianne and Katie H., anyone who enjoys a good female P.I. story
Sharon Malone is fast becoming my favorite P.I.. She predates female private investigators, V.I. Warshawski and Stephanie Plum,and could be their mentors. She is a little too smart, too resourceful and too tough to be a real person, but aren't they all?
LInda L
Jan 16, 2013 LInda L rated it really liked it
This was my last Muller book -- loved it as much as the others, and better than some. Exciting climax, but leaves you sort of wondering............
Dale
Sep 16, 2007 Dale rated it liked it
Hadn't read one of Muller's books in many years. It was fun to return to these characters again. This was a good read and I'm eager to read more.
JZ
Aug 15, 2012 JZ marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery, own
#13
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
A very good Sharon McCone mystery. She is an excellent main character--not silly, a good investigator, with believable interactions.
  • Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Windy City Blues
  • Blowback (Nameless Detective, #4)
  • Full Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #2)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,
More about Marcia Muller...

Sharon McCone (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Edwin of the Iron Shoes