Start by marking “A Walk Through the Fire” as Want to Read:
A Walk Through the Fire

A Walk Through the Fire (Sharon McCone #19)

ALOHA MURDER

Accidents are plaguing a documentary film crew on breathtakingly beautiful Kauai. Can San Francisco P.I. Sharon McCone ferret out possible sabotage behind the scenes? The job sounds like a breeze -- McCone envisions romantic, tropical nights with her lover, Hy Ripinsky. Instead, she finds a troubled paradise with rising tensions between native and non-native Ha
Published July 1st 2000 by Grand Central Publishing (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Walk Through the Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Walk Through the Fire

Ed
May 22, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#20 in the Sharon McCone series. Sharon travels to Hawaii on an assignment and brings lover, Hy Ripinski, along to make it a working vacation. She promptly is attracted to a helicopter pilot jeopardizing her relationship with Hy. While trying to ignore her feelings, she attempts to discover who wants to stop the filming of the documentary she has been hired to protect. Wheels within wheels and she winds up involved in more plots than she had imagined existed.

#20 - Sharon McCone series - The San
aPriL does feral sometimes
A great beach read and Sharon McCone is at her usual top-of-her-game form; however I must confess to some disappointment. There isn't enough about Hawaii, even though Muller put McCone into some Hawaiian locales and included a few political issues. There wasn't enough about the movie business either, even though McCone was in Hawaii providing security for a threatened movie director. On the other hand, this is a 300ish page mystery, depending on the typeface, not a doorstopper literary novel.

The
Renee
Nov 27, 2013 Renee rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites in this series.
Lynn
Jul 23, 2012 Lynn rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
A Walk through the Fire features Sharon McCone, a private investigator from San Francisco. McCone is one of the original female private eyes, the series dates back to the '70s. I've read a few of Marcia Muller's books before. There's usually some kind of activist activity in the stories; I always felt that dated back to the influences of the time period Muller started writing. It wasn't an aspect I particularly enjoyed so haven't read any of her books for a long time. A Walk Through the Fire was ...more
Susan
A Walk Through the Fire by Marcia Muller is book 19 of the Sharon McCone series, usually set in San Francisco, but this time set in Hawaii. Sharon's long-time journalist friend Glenna calls her with a frantic request for help, fearing her life is in danger as she is trying to make a documentary. Sharon and Hy travel to Hawaii, thinking Sharon can investigate plus they can fit in vacation time together. They meet and befriend a helicopter pilot. Hy is eager to put in qualifying hours for helo ...more
Clyde
Sep 13, 2016 Clyde added it
I liked it!!! it's way into the series....but I think I will hunt more books by this author!!
Kathleen Hagen
A Walk Through the Fire, by Marcia Muller, B-plus, narrated by Joyce Bean, produced by Brilliance Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Sharon McCone is given the opportunity to follow a new client to Hawaii, and to the island of Kauai. She is producing a film on a book written by Elson Wellbright, from the well-known Wellbright family, originally missionaries to the islands. The producer’s boy friend is bankrolling the film, one of Ellson’s son. But his siblings are not thrilled with making this a
Nancy
Jul 01, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
On par with all her books. Felt betrayed by Sharon as she strayed from Hy, but then she stayed true with a small deviation. Hawaii was a different locale. Plot as ok, and as usual Sharon accomplishes her goal!!

Kristen
Jan 07, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery
In the 19th installment of Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone PI series, A Walk Through the Fire, this time we've found Sharon in Hawaii. When accidents happen on a film documentary set in Hawaii, it was up to Sharon and Hy to discover trouble brewing between native and non-native Hawaiians and then a grisly death occurred. And Hy dealt with a rattled pilot who needed his attention, which also placed Sharon in danger, when they were stuck on a place that's between fire love and fire terror on the ...more
Spotsalots
Not a bad addition to Muller's series, and a bit different because set in Hawaii rather than California. In fact, it's set just a few years after the severe hurricane Iniki hit Kauai, and makes that part of the plot. I don't normally keep close track of storms and natural disasters, but Iniki occurred right when the travel magazine I was working for was about to run a story on Kauai, and we had to replace the piece in a hurry, so the book reminded me of that. I'm mildly curious now as to the ...more
Joy
Jan 29, 2010 Joy rated it it was ok
Hawaii's dark side. Sharon is summoned to Kauai, to find out who is trying to stop her friend from filming a documentary based on a wealthy man who disappeared from the islands. Hawaii brings out Sharon's less disciplined side, creating conflicts that interfere with her reasoning. A sexy helicopter pilot doesn't help her thinking, either. The dysfunctional Wellbright family put me off. All in all, this is my second least favorite of the series (so far).
Gina
May 10, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Sharon McCone, a San Francisco private investigator, is asked to find out who is behind the sabotage of a film project. The filming is taking place on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai. A prominent local family is funding the film. The story offers background on the island's history and the resentment felt by many native Hawaiians against settlement of the islands by outsiders.
Sara
Sep 09, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
Sharon and Hy are in Hawaii investigating odd events surrounding the filming of a documentary and staying with a very dysfunctional family. Several things point to Hawaiian mythology which add to an interesting mystery.
Marci
Apr 29, 2016 Marci rated it liked it
I enjoyed this detective novel. Nothing too in-depth, Sharon McCone and her boyfriend, Hy, end up in Hawaii trying to help out her friend. A little bit of romance, some close calls, and everything wraps up in the end. I was interested enough to maybe want to check out other books in the series.
Michelle Beese
Aug 25, 2014 Michelle Beese rated it really liked it
Book #20 of the Sharon McCone series and I am still hooked. A personal challenge for Ms. McCone on the beautiful island of Kauai. I for one was very happy with her decision. What's next for McCone? Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be intriguing! Marcia Muller always delivers!
Massanutten Regional Library
Judy, Village patron, June 2016, 3 stars:

Fair to middling - there was a good bit of Hawaiian history which was interesting but plot wasn't too great.
Petula Darling
Feb 01, 2012 Petula Darling rated it did not like it
Shelves: series
Between the new setting and all the inexplicably stupid things Sharon did in this book, it felt like I was reading something from an entirely different series.
Sheri Lutz
Jan 13, 2016 Sheri Lutz rated it really liked it
Another reliably good Sharon McCone mystery. Written in 1999 and she uses cell phones and VHS tapes. (Sue Grafton, please take note!)
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Sharon McCone is a great private investigator. This is one of the series that introduced strong women characters. In this venture she travels to Hawaii. Book 20 in the series.
Joe O'c
Sep 07, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Sharon McCone; PI goes to Hawaii to determine who is trying to undermine a documentary makers attempt to tell the story of a rich land owner who disappeared.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
She is one of my favorite mystery authors
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2012
John Q.
John Q. rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Stephanie Thomas
Stephanie Thomas rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2011
Carol Gabel
Carol Gabel rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Caroline Steele
Caroline Steele rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Leysiludtuhanreynoso
Leysiludtuhanreynoso rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2013
Gerri Balter
Gerri Balter rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
  • Honky Tonk Kat (Kat Colorado, #7)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Hate Crime (Ben Kincaid, #13)
  • Windy City Blues
  • Der hvor roser aldri dør (Varg Veum, #18)
  • Kindred Crimes
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Pacific Beat
  • Killing Grounds (Kate Shugak, #8)
  • Bitch Factor
  • Honest Doubt (A Kate Fansler Mystery #13)
  • Cold Case (Barbara Holloway #11)
  • Free Fall (John Ceepak Mystery #8)
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,
More about Marcia Muller...

Sharon McCone (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Edwin of the Iron Shoes