Start by marking “Games to Keep the Dark Away (Sharon McCone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Games to Keep the Dark Away (Sharon McCone, #4)

Games to Keep the Dark Away (Sharon McCone #4)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  859 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A new paperback Sharon McCone mystery, in which the detective is hired by a reclusive photographer to find his missing roommate, and when she is found dead, McCone has to confront numerous suspects.
Unknown Binding
Published August 11th 1994 by Not Avail (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Games to Keep the Dark Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Games to Keep the Dark Away

Ed
#4 in the Sharon McCone series. Sharon is a San Francisco private investigator employed by the All Souls Legal Cooperative. This entry was published in 1984 and 30 years later there are 32 entries in the series. Sharon McCone is a trail blazing female P.I., her initial appearance was in Edwin of the Iron Shoes (1977) and her second appearance Ask the Cards a Question (1982) coincided with the debuts of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone and Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski.

Sharon McCone receives a cal
Nancy
Another exciting Sharon McCone mystery - a few more twists and turns. Exciting nd fast-paced.

Picture Salmon Bay: an isolated, run-down northern California village, home to an idle fleet of fishing boats, a deserted amusement park, and a handful of secretive, even hostile residents. When private investigator Sharon McCone arrives in search of one of the town's wayward daughters, the train leads to the thriving resort of Port San Marco. McCone believes that the missing woman, a former social worke
Jerry
#4 of 22 (so far) Sharon McCone Private Eye -- average...

The 22 books to date in Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone series span from 1977, so this is one of the earlier ones (1984) in a set that obviously has staying power. Our leading lady is a full-time employee of a law firm where she handles investigations along with more routine paralegal work, but she seemed pretty free to roam around as she chose, with or without a paying client. Sharon's a just-thirty single private eye in the mode of Sue Gr
Kathleen Hagen
Games to Keep the Dark Away, by Marcia Muller, b-plus, Narrated by Laura Hicks, Produced by Audiogo, Downloaded from audible.com.

Sharon McCone gets a call from a photographer who wants her to find a missing person-his roommate who has been missing for a week. He and the roommate, Jane, don’t seem to have been lovers, or even good friends, and he doesn’t seem to know her friends, but he does know what home town she came from. Sharon decides to go there, an isolated village along the coast where t
Smoochys
This was a really good book. Sharon is a PI who has a knack for discovering dead bodies even though the law firm where works as an investigator doesn't seem to have any murder clients. Anyway, the client in this book wants Sharon to find his missing roommate. She succeeds at finding the missing roommate - the roommate is one of the aforementioned dead bodies that Sharon finds. After finding the body Sharon is unwilling to leave the mystery to cops even though she no longer has a paying client. H ...more
Ann
I enjoyed many of the early Sharon McCone books when they were new, but missed a few and am happy to catch up with the back list when I can. It was a different time, in 1984 a private eye had to remember where she saw a pay phone to call in when she needed to report something and the investigative skills were mostly on the ground in face to face contact with potential witnesses. Tightly focused and straight forward. I love this series.
Sharon shows us her view of San Francisco as a single workin
Lisa
It was good. The protagonist is gaining depth and the plots are strong but not predictable. I'm going to add the rest in the series to my "want to read" shelf. Also, I'm listening during my commute. The reader is very good.
Trish
I always forget how much I like the Sharon McCone books. Admittedly they occasionally show their age - for example, I find myself wondering why she doesn't use a cellphone, then remember that certainly the early ones were written in the 1980s. But they're good stories and I like the regular characters.
Chris Leuchtenburg
Very short (150pp), mildly diverting mystery. I will read another Muller when I want something undemanding, but not necessarily thrilling or substantial.
Joy
An in-vogue photographer has mislaid his roommate, and is urgent for Sharon to find her. The situation doesn't make sense, especially when Abe takes Sharon off the case as soon as Jane is discovered murdered. Sharon refuses to give up. Not only has she gotten her teeth into the case, she has also met Jane's charming ex-boyfriend. I made one connection sooner than Muller intends for us to, but was still completely surprised by the murderer.

One of the things that make the Sharon McCone series so e
Spuddie
I listened to the audio download version of this book, and I find I'm enjoying the series more with each progressive book. Set in San Francisco back in the late 70's and early 80's (to start with), it's quite an interesting throwback to read about PI methods back then. Sharon McCone is hired by a reclusive photographer to find his lodger, a woman who recently disappeared without informing him she was leaving. As she investigates, she discovers some disturbing things about the woman's past and ul ...more
Eliana
Love Sharon McCone and her colleagues. This author never disappoints.
Ellen
I really enjoyed this despite having to suspend my disbelief at times with the plot. The protagonist, Sharon McCone, is such a likeable character and this storyline was much better than the first two I read that I didn't guess till I was told who dunnit! It was written in 1984 and it is fascinating to see the results of the lack of technology that we take for granted. When Sharon stumbles over yet another dead body - something she is supremely skilled at - she has to go and find a phone box to r ...more
Jody Hamilton
Good offering in the Sharon McCone series.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Number four in the Sharon McCone series and clearly the first with a professional polish. The first three were amateurish. But this one can be claimed to have been written by someone who has learned the art of mystery genre writing.

I'm enjoying the scenery where McCone plies her trade of private detective. She lives in San Francisco where I also once lived, and I recognize many of the towns and local landmarks. It's cool when that happens.

Daisyaday
I like Sharon McCone but I think it's funny that there are so many VW's in this book. Most likely the author, like Sharon, found them the only cars she could accurately pinpoint. It's doubtful that many private detectives would continue a case after the paying client has fired her, but it's nice that McCone stays on the case to fight the good fight against evil. This book has held up remarkably well over 20 years.
Beverly
Sharon travels down the coast to investigate the disappearance of a woman from San Francisco. Her search leads to several murders and a new boyfriend, DJ Don Del Boccio, who, like all Italians, thinks he's a great cook. Specifics include photography and hospice. The only sour note is the portrayal of hospice. Young Muller thinks that dying people dress up, walk around and and attend concerts while they are waiting to die.
Bob
A very early Sharon McCone mystery, while she is still working for the Co-op and starting as a private detective. She is hired to find a missing women and the case turns into something all together different. Old, but a good read
ISBN - 0-445-40851-0, light suspense, Pages - 215, Print Size - R, Rating - 4
All books reviewed are from the library or purchased by the reviewer.
Mam
Predictable and comfortable read. I like the main character.
Jim
This is one of the better books of the series so far. The author's writing style is a bit terse for my taste, but the story was good and the author led me down the wrong path for quite a while before I finally solved it a few pages from the end. A very well done plot with good characters.
Michelle Beese
Finished another Sharon McCone mystery and just loving her adventures! Great to read about San Francisco and places down the road. I love reading books in areas that I have traveled myself. I'm on to the next Sharon McCone adventure!
Julie Carter
I enjoyed this book. Sharon McCone is starting to become the investigator that we know and love in the later books. This was a good mystery with an interesting cast of characters.
Joe O'c
Excellent; Continuing character: Sharon McCone; PI solves case related to photographer's missing friend and mercy killings at a hospice.
Janell
This was a pretty intriguing mystery with some twists and turns before it was done. Plus, I enjoy the main character.
Anita Dix-McLaughlin
An other in the series of Sharon McCone mysteries. You will enjoy this one.
Petula Darling
This one was really confusing. I'm still not sure what happened and why.
Mary
A 'who done it' mystery that I enjoyed; nothing heavy
Katherine Gould
An early Sharon McCone -- still a good read!
Jill
This is one of my favorite series!
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
  • The Vanished (Nameless Detective, #2)
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Paying the Piper (Elizabeth MacPherson, #4)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,
More about Marcia Muller...

Sharon McCone (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Edwin of the Iron Shoes
  • There's Something in a Sunday
  • The Shape of Dread
  • Trophies and Dead Things
  • Where Echoes Live
Edwin of the Iron Shoes The Broken Promise Land A Wild and Lonely Place Trophies and Dead Things Burn Out