Start by marking “Vlad the Impaler: The Real Count Dracula” as Want to Read:
Vlad the Impaler: The Real Count Dracula
Preview

Vlad the Impaler: The Real Count Dracula (A Wicked History)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  51 reviews
- Opening quote by or about the featured villain/villainess
- Historical map, annotated with key locations from person's life
- A Wicked Web featuring allies and enemies
- Historical photos and etchings
- Boxes with additional information
- Photo documentaries: six to eight pages of photos and captions telling the person's life
- Timeline, glossary, additional sources
- Engaging
Published September 1st 2009 by Franklin Watts (first published September 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Vlad the Impaler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vlad the Impaler

Mr. Kovach
Why do we like reading books about bad guys, even totally evil guys? My guess is that there have been more books written and read about Hitler than almost anybody. Vlad Dracula, the subject of this book, was almost as bad, if only on a smaller scale only because he did not conquer as much territory. Truly evil people, yet fascinating to read about. Maybe it's because after you close a book about these evil men and slip back into your own existence, the people you know, and the life you lead, is ...more
Lizzy
While it was a nice outline of Vlad's life, it left a lot out, and found it to be extremely biased towards Vlad being the most evil person ever to live. Even though at the end they did the whole pretend debate as to whether or not he was pure evil. As far as how factual the book is, I really don't know. There were no foot notes, end notes, bibliography list, or even a blurb on who the authors were and why we should believe them. While a work of non-fiction, there was a lot of conjecturing, and n ...more
Sally
My child needed to do a book report and wanted it to be different from the others. We found Scholastic's - A Wicked History series and we figured that no one else would think to pick someone like Vlad the Impaler. Is everything 100% accurate? Probably not, considering he was alive in the 1400's and not everything was recorded or recorded accurately. Let's be honest and admit that even things reported nowadays are not always 100% accurate. Is this an interesting story for teens who want to read a ...more
Laithlaithlaith
Laith El-Tayyeb 12/18/14
ELA DiDonato GoodReads Review Green
Vlad The Impaler, by Enid A. Goldberg and Norman Itzkowtiz is an interesting nonfiction novel, that narrates Vlad Dracula and his life in Transylvania. Vlad and his family tree was mostly around Turkey. Vlad could read and write perfect Turkish. Vlad was sold into slavery after birth by his father Dracul. His father sold Vlad and his brother into slavery to regain his power. Dracul would gain back prince of Wallachia in exchange for Vla
Meltha
Eh, this wasn't bad, but it could have been better. At times it got a bit too technical, which is odd as the sentence structure remained quite simple, so it was a basic book that verged on too advanced simultaneously. There is violence in here, obviously, and Vlad obviously had some very serious problems with being a mass murderer, sadist, torturer, etc., though his childhood certainly pointed him strongly in that direction. The peritextual elements are good here, with photographs of statues, pa ...more
Aalmana8
Nice overall biography of Vlad that should work really well for middle school age kids--hits the major points of his life, without becoming bogged down with too much extra information that may confuse younger readers.

It's not too graphic, at least in my opinion, but it did outline the various ways people were tortured/executed back then, and I could see where some folks might find that a bit off putting. So use your own discretion as to whether you think it's suitable for your children.

There's
David Longfellow
I learned a fair amount about this part of the world at this time, but it got bogged down in a repetitive structure that lost the thread of the wicked history series style.
Spencerharte27
This is a very interesting story about Vlad the Impaler's life. They talk about the facts in a easy way that people could easily use on other biographies.
Matthew Perry
Good overview for Kids. For people freaking out about it being an outline it is a scholastic book meant for my middle school students; it does the job.
Kailey M.
I was a little unsure when I first saw this book and decided to give it a go. I don't usually like vampires,zombies and other scary things and this was certain to be no better. I was shocked to find out that an actual person existed in this world at some time that people felt was as evil and vicious and cruel as the actual Hollywood Dracula was. The book was compact but the impalement's and torture explanations were more than enough for me. There were lots of sections that really grossed me out ...more
Amy Carr
I am always on the look out for books that will appeal to the "reluctant" boy reader...and when I came across this series of books at a Scholastic warehouse sale they immediately caught my attention with their "shelf" appeal...the title and topic alone were intriguing. But WOW...this book was way too intense for my taste. It is a biography about the real Count Dracula and while it is written on a middle school reading level, the subject matter is way too graphic and gruesome for me! I'm not sure ...more
Matthew H H
I chose this book because I had read other books in the series. This one was one of my favorites!
Cinnapatty
I happened up on this book in the 10 day loan quick pick section of the library. Serendipitous timing as just the night before I'd listened to one of the Nielson twins talk about this very man!

It was informative. A good history. Interesting that this man is who Count Dracula is based on. The back of the book contains great flow charts and timelines and a quick rundown of why and how he's the "original" Count Dracula. Probably could have looked at that first instead of wading through the facts an
Crystal
This series will draw in readers with its dark humor and factual information. It makes good use of graphic images and maps to help tell the story. The information is good, and should be enough for middle schoolers. The author presents the facts, allowing the readers to decide if the person was wicked or not. Also helpful is the index, glossary, list of sources and suggestion for further reading.

It held my attention well and I am looking forward to reading the other titles in this series.
Kate Hastings
Mar 05, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like being confused
TOO MANY VLADS

A very confusing book for being so short in length. I might try another in the series, though. Love the covers and the topic--wickid people from history.

The problem I had with this book is that the first and second chapers jump around chronologically and that there are lots of Vlads running around. Vlad Dracul (the impaler's father) Vlad Dracula (the impaler himself) and then a dude names Vladislav and then Vlad the Monk, his half-brother. A bad, I mean Vlad, book.
Bass Drop (Joshua)  Burda
It felt like a adult book with how they explained this, but it all feels like a child's book when Enid decided to not put really complicated words in it. You can't. Do that.
It was really creative though how Enid tried to explain the whole Dracula thing. He however didn't fulfill of the connection of vampires and him. With his/her explanation, you should have thought Vlad as a Vampire SLAYER. What kind of vampire would carry the very thing that they have a weakness to?
frogfairie
When it comes to history books, I bore easily which is why I usually turn to juvenile or young adult titles. They are what I call "history light": the basic information without all the extras. This title has nice timelines and maps to guide through the life of Vlad. In general the book is concise although at times some of the rumors come across as fact. Other than that, I recommend the book along with the others from the series "A Wicked History".
Cheryl
This young adult biography is well written and brings to life the world of Vlad Dracula. It traces the life of this feared ruler from his childhood until his untimely death. Historical details about the world in which he lived add to the story. Included in this short biography are woodcuts depicting scenes of events which occurred during Vlad's lifetime. A great biography for teens who are interested in the real Count Dracula.
Trevor
Jan 15, 2008 Trevor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 4-8 (and any college student taking western civ.!)
Recommended to Trevor by: Dustin Wilder
Shelves: kid_lit
Can a book about such a horrible person be delightful? HELL YES! This is the first "A Wicked History" series book I've read, and it really does a fine job of placing the infamous Vlad Draclua in his historical context. The slim volume also has a "web" rather than only a straight timeline, because, let's face it, time nor history operates in a linear vacuum. There are plenty of illustrations and images as well. Very cool book.
Afreen
I had to read this for an English assignment and it was very useful. There was alot of information and it was written in a fun way to read so i'm happy :)
Quinton Cole
picked this book up in a scholastic mag. looked like a fun little book. interesting! great story and history, makes you wonder and be glad we live when we do. i want to get the rest of the series and read up on all the crazy bad guys of history. great facts and accounts of events. i would suggest this book to any boy looking for a guy who knows what he wants and
Moe
At first it was just a book about how Vlad made his way to becoming very popular, the ruler of Walachia. He started doing cruel things to animals and then humans. I didn't know that someone could come up with so many cruel ways to murder people. I also learned that Dracula means "little devil" and he certainly deserves that name.
Amanda Northrup
The second half of the book totally captivated with stories of the cruel deeds of Vlad the Impaler. However the first half was really difficult for me because it described the various allegiances in the Ottoman and Byzantine empires. Not having much prior knowledge about this subject, I got frequently confused.
Jean
Okay, I kind of had a headache when I started this book, and it didn't improve any after reading it. We recently acquired a number of these little histories for the library. Can we say sensational? I guess a little history to go along with the current vampire craze doesn't hurt.
Stephi K.
This book was a good history of Vlad Dracula, which I've been interested in since I read "The Historian". Not a good book for kids, though (despite the eye-catching cover). My 12-year-old read it before me and said he almost threw up reading it. It's pretty brutal.
Megan Anderson
A little more biased than the others, but it does a good job of portraying the cruelty. In the end it also mentions that Vlad was not the only one to impale his victims/rivals, too. I'd still use the book for a project.

3/5 on here, 7/10 for myself
B
On the Crofton Middle School list, this was an interesting and quick read at 121 small pages. The various maps, pictures, photos of places, timelines etc. puts the subject into context. Sadistic and creepy, teens will probably enjoy reading about him.
Julia
This book is part of a series that retells the histories of some of the more violent leaders. The biographies are written in an accessible style but also in an interesting and intelligent way. The series would be an engrossing read for a young history buff.
Laura Rowden
I loved this book. It is written for a young audience, but it is very well done. I learned a lot about Vlad the Impaler. It was great to be able to put him in historical context. I would recommend as a fun read to anyone who likes history.
  • Vlad the Impaler: In Search of the Real Dracula
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • Houdini: The Handcuff King
  • Mary Tudor: Courageous Queen or Bloody Mary?
  • The Englishman's Daughter: A True Story of Love and Betrayal in World War I
  • The Big Lie: A True Story
  • World War I
  • The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
  • Nelson Mandela
  • Lives of the Artists: Masterpieces, Messes (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Vampyre
  • Outbreak! Plagues That Changed History

A Wicked History (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Grigory Rasputin: Holy Man or Mad Monk?
  • Genghis Khan: 13th-Century Mongolian Tyrant
  • Tomas de Torquemada: Architect of Torture During the Spanish Inquisition
  • Henry VIII: Royal Beheader
  • CIXI: Evil Empress of China?
  • Ivan the Terrible: Tsar of Death
  • Leopold II: Butcher of the Congo
  • Robespierre: Master Of The Guillotine
  • Francisco Pizarro: Destroyer of the Inca Empire
  • Mary Tudor: Courageous Queen or Bloody Mary?
Grigory Rasputin: Holy Man or Mad Monk? Genghis Khan: 13th-Century Mongolian Tyrant Tomas de Torquemada: Architect of Torture During the Spanish Inquisition Moving Fast on the Slow Track: Strategies for Career Success