Start by marking “The Broken Promise Land” as Want to Read:
The Broken Promise Land

The Broken Promise Land (Sharon McCone #16)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  2,807 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Someone is bent on getting revenge on Ricky Savage, Sharon McCone's brother-in-law and a two-time Grammy Award-winning country singer. The danger escalates as Sharon realizes that more than one person has been playing underhanded games--and that the music industry is truly a broken promise land.
Published June 1st 1997 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Promise Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Promise Land

Anne
Nov 03, 2008 Anne rated it liked it
I found that this went on too long and was somewhat boring. I didn't care about the protagonist, but did care about the antagonist...
Victoria
Nov 21, 2010 Victoria rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Frankly I thought I was reading a Sharyn McCrumb and was disappointed with the book because it was so staid, not fun reading. One gets tired of women P.I.s after some years of reading mysteries. So actually this was my first Sharon McCone novel. McCone is hired by her soon-to-be ex-brother-in-law, Ricky Savage, famous country singer, because enigmatic notes begin appearing: "What Have You Done With My Song". McCone discovers that there is a real threat behind the notes, and brings in her lover H ...more
Quillracer
About on a par with other books in the series - not great but not terrible.

There was a bit too much 'family' in this book because Sharon McCone is investigating threats to her brother-in-law, country superstar Rick Savage. The story is told from two perspectives - Sharon's and her employee, Rae Kelleher - with occasional asides in the form of newspaper articles. While they added to the story in some ways, they tended to slow its forward progress.

Also, I felt the guilty party came a bit too out o
Spuddie
Like most series that go on as long as this one does, there are some books that are better than others. This one was one of the mediocre ones, I thought, mainly because it dragged on too long and was too detailed in some respects, and too light in others where more emphasis was needed. I also felt like some of the comfortable bits of the previous books were gone--PI Sharon McCone has moved from the old Victorian that All Souls Legal Co-op was in into her own snazzy office and she wasn't at home ...more
Ed
Oct 20, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
#17 in the Sharon McCone series. Sharon is asked to look into a series of threatening messages received by her brother-in-law, country singing star Ricky Savage. An excellent series entry and one that calls all sorts of relationships into question. Recommended.

Sharon McCone series - Someone is bent on getting revenge on Ricky Savage, Sharon McCone's brother-in-law and a two-time Grammy Award-winning country singer. The danger escalates as Sharon realizes that more than one person has been playin
Nancy
Aug 18, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Another must read in the series. This is where Rae and Ricky meet up.... How I could almost be done with the series and have missed two of the most crucial storylines..... Really liked this one. Kept my interest!

aPriL does feral sometimes
An essential read for those of us immersed in P.I. Sharon McCone's world. There is a lot of change for every one of the characters, equivalent to the second movie in movie trilogies.

Relationships are rupturing, but that is only the tip of the iceberg. The surprises really start when new relationships begin. Even McCone and Ripinsky are uncertain of each other, distance growing between them with each chapter. They stare at each other more coldly as the incidents pile up. Will they still be a coup
Kristin
Nov 05, 2011 Kristin added it
Shelves: ra
Another one bites the dust in my attempts to like mysteries. I finally decided to just go for one that I sort of liked the cover of. Unfortunately, this just wasn't my cup of tea. It was chock full of details of life in manufactured country music/record industry giants. City high rise office setting. In other words, of no interest to me. But I didn't get the sense that the writing was too bad, as far as books I don't like go.
LJ
THE BROKEN PROMISE LAND - G
Muller, Marcia - 16th in Sharon McCone

A crime novel featuring private investigator Sharon McCone, who steps in to help her brother-in-law, country music star Ricky Savage, when he receives an anonymous threat, and discovers that he has some deadly enemies.

I'm not a country music or celebrity person so the subject didn't grab me. It was a good read but not nearly up to the level as Muller's other books.
Joy
Jan 27, 2010 Joy rated it it was amazing
After a few hints here and there in earlier books, Sharon's brother-in-law, country music star Ricky Savage, bursts onto center stage. Ricky is being stalked, dangerously. Fan or old girlfriend? Everything points to it, except that whoever it is has to be close to Ricky. Sharon and her lover Hy take on Ricky's protection, and Sharon's assistant Rae finally comes into her own, in a way that I found especially satisfying. Impossible not to care about Sharon's friends and family.
Kristen
Apr 17, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery
In the 16th installment of Marcia Muller's best-selling Sharon McCone series, The Broken Promise Land, she returned to solve another twisted mystery. Someone was hell-bent of revenge on her brother-in-law, Ricky Savage, who was a two-time Grammy-award winner country singer. She traveled to Nashville to learn about the music industry and find out about the blackmailer from his past, when the danger escalated for them. It was up to Sharon to figure out who was playing underhanded mind games.
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 02, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Muller writes deep and compelling characters, and this book is one of her best because it's all about characters near and dear to our hearts: not just McCone and Rae, but also Mick's father, Ricky Savage. It's a tense and delightful story about these people and their changing lives. There's of course also a mystery here, and it's a compelling one. (And the California scenery is as always authentic.) All around, one of of Muller's top books.
Spotsalots
Oct 09, 2014 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone mysteries hold their interest pretty well over the years, so although this one was published in 1996, it still seemed fine in 2014. It's somewhat more of a thriller than a mystery, or perhaps straddled the two genres, but didn't suffer from the kind of tedious non-stop tension that often plagues thrillers.
Julianne
Sep 28, 2008 Julianne rated it liked it
Marcia Muller writes an intriguing character, Sharon McCone, a San Francisco-based private eye. In this story, she is assigned to provide security for Ricky Savage, a popular country music singer who happens to be her brother-in-law. Are the threats real or imagined? Can she get to the bottom of things in time to save a few lives?

Emily Crow
Sep 07, 2013 Emily Crow rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the Sharon McCone mysteries in the early books. Later in the series, the stories just got too busy, with McCone opening her own agency, subplots with the new employees, her jetting around in her Cessna. And Hy Ripinsky is one the most boring love interests I've encountered. This book was one of my least favorites in the series. I miss the old McCone!
Doris
Feb 17, 2010 Doris added it
This book introduces a bunch of new characters, Ricky Savage and his family. A good read, and I have remembered it all these years, but it just seemed more like a recounting of events than a gripping tale.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
Sharon McCone has changed over the course of this series, but not in a negative way--she has maintained her ties with those who helped her out in the beginning, and as she has aged, there have been more complications in her life, as you would expect. Good series well worth reading
Michelle Beese
Jul 10, 2014 Michelle Beese rated it it was amazing
The BEST McCone story so far! I was on the edge of the bed, especially since I woke up at 3:00am to finish the book before I went to work. I enjoyed the deeper look at Rae and wonder where her relationship with Sharon well end up with all the big changes in this great Marcia Muller book.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
solid series read
AE
Jun 21, 2007 AE rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite one. It's hard to say that but really between this one and "Until the Butcher cut him down" are like neck and neck.
Cindy
Feb 01, 2014 Cindy rated it it was ok
Nashville is a pit and I have seen it first hand. This story touched on many of the deap beat types that are in the industry but I thought the plot was slow and non-eventful.
LInda L
Nov 26, 2012 LInda L rated it really liked it
Another great one -- this one was nerve wracking! Loved it.
Nancy
Feb 23, 2015 Nancy added it
read
Georgene
Aug 12, 2015 Georgene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another great great Sharon McCone mystery from Marcia Muller!
Jim Young
Nov 01, 2012 Jim Young rated it really liked it
Good!
Robin
Nov 30, 2008 Robin rated it it was amazing
A Sharon McCone mystery. Excellent, as usual.
Carol
Feb 01, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it
This book is in her Sharon McCone series. I really could not put it down.
Penney Kolb
Oct 14, 2014 Penney Kolb rated it liked it
It was okay but not her best. It was an interesting plot but there were too many distraction such as brand-naming almost everything.
Ronjoseph50
Oct 13, 2011 Ronjoseph50 rated it liked it
and 1/2
Cathy
Feb 20, 2009 Cathy added it
Shelves: 2006-books
Nope. Didn’t like any of the characters
  • Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski, #5)
  • Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (Ballad, #2)
  • But I Wouldn't Want to Die There (Jenny Cain, #8)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,
More about Marcia Muller...

Sharon McCone (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Edwin of the Iron Shoes