The Broken Promise Land (Sharon McCone, #17)

The Broken Promise Land (Sharon McCone #16)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,101 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Someone is bent on getting revenge on Ricky Savage, Sharon McCone's brother-in-law and a two-time Grammy Award-winning country singer. The danger escalates as Sharon realizes that more than one person has been playing underhanded games--and that the music industry is truly a broken promise land.
Published June 1st 1997 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Promise Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Promise Land

Anne
I found that this went on too long and was somewhat boring. I didn't care about the protagonist, but did care about the antagonist...
Victoria
Frankly I thought I was reading a Sharyn McCrumb and was disappointed with the book because it was so staid, not fun reading. One gets tired of women P.I.s after some years of reading mysteries. So actually this was my first Sharon McCone novel. McCone is hired by her soon-to-be ex-brother-in-law, Ricky Savage, famous country singer, because enigmatic notes begin appearing: "What Have You Done With My Song". McCone discovers that there is a real threat behind the notes, and brings in her lover H...more
Michelle Beese
The BEST McCone story so far! I was on the edge of the bed, especially since I woke up at 3:00am to finish the book before I went to work. I enjoyed the deeper look at Rae and wonder where her relationship with Sharon well end up with all the big changes in this great Marcia Muller book.
Cindy
Nashville is a pit and I have seen it first hand. This story touched on many of the deap beat types that are in the industry but I thought the plot was slow and non-eventful.
aPriL purrs 'n hisses
An essential read for those of us immersed in P.I. Sharon McCone's world. There is a lot of change for every one of the characters, equivalent to the second movie in movie trilogies.

Relationships are rupturing, but that is only the tip of the iceberg. The surprises really start when new relationships begin. Even McCone and Ripinsky are uncertain of each other, distance growing between them with each chapter. They stare at each other more coldly as the incidents pile up. Will they still be a coup...more
Eliana
Apr 06, 2014 Eliana added it
Love Sharon McCone and her colleagues. This author never disappoints.
Nancy
Another must read in the series. This is where Rae and Ricky meet up.... How I could almost be done with the series and have missed two of the most crucial storylines..... Really liked this one. Kept my interest!

Joy
After a few hints here and there in earlier books, Sharon's brother-in-law, country music star Ricky Savage, bursts onto center stage. Ricky is being stalked, dangerously. Fan or old girlfriend? Everything points to it, except that whoever it is has to be close to Ricky. Sharon and her lover Hy take on Ricky's protection, and Sharon's assistant Rae finally comes into her own, in a way that I found especially satisfying. Impossible not to care about Sharon's friends and family.
LJ
THE BROKEN PROMISE LAND - G
Muller, Marcia - 16th in Sharon McCone

A crime novel featuring private investigator Sharon McCone, who steps in to help her brother-in-law, country music star Ricky Savage, when he receives an anonymous threat, and discovers that he has some deadly enemies.

I'm not a country music or celebrity person so the subject didn't grab me. It was a good read but not nearly up to the level as Muller's other books.
Kristin
Nov 07, 2011 Kristin added it
Shelves: ra
Another one bites the dust in my attempts to like mysteries. I finally decided to just go for one that I sort of liked the cover of. Unfortunately, this just wasn't my cup of tea. It was chock full of details of life in manufactured country music/record industry giants. City high rise office setting. In other words, of no interest to me. But I didn't get the sense that the writing was too bad, as far as books I don't like go.
Emily Crow
I really enjoyed the Sharon McCone mysteries in the early books. Later in the series, the stories just got too busy, with McCone opening her own agency, subplots with the new employees, her jetting around in her Cessna. And Hy Ripinsky is one the most boring love interests I've encountered. This book was one of my least favorites in the series. I miss the old McCone!
Julianne
Marcia Muller writes an intriguing character, Sharon McCone, a San Francisco-based private eye. In this story, she is assigned to provide security for Ricky Savage, a popular country music singer who happens to be her brother-in-law. Are the threats real or imagined? Can she get to the bottom of things in time to save a few lives?

Catherine Woodman
Sharon McCone has changed over the course of this series, but not in a negative way--she has maintained her ties with those who helped her out in the beginning, and as she has aged, there have been more complications in her life, as you would expect. Good series well worth reading
Doris
Feb 17, 2010 Doris added it
This book introduces a bunch of new characters, Ricky Savage and his family. A good read, and I have remembered it all these years, but it just seemed more like a recounting of events than a gripping tale.
Kristen
This is another great suspenseful mystery of Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone PI series. It had great twists and turns throughout the storyline.
Snarky's
This is my favorite one. It's hard to say that but really between this one and "Until the Butcher cut him down" are like neck and neck.
Carol
This book is in her Sharon McCone series. I really could not put it down.
Cathy
Feb 20, 2009 Cathy added it
Shelves: 2006-books
Nope. Didn’t like any of the characters
Robin
A Sharon McCone mystery. Excellent, as usual.
Helen
solid series read
Jackie Simons
Read 1/02
Stacey Neff
Stacey Neff marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
  • Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski, #5)
  • Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (Ballad, #2)
  • Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)
  • But I Wouldn't Want to Die There (Jenny Cain, #8)
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,...more
More about Marcia Muller...
Edwin of the Iron Shoes (Sharon McCone, #1) A Wild and Lonely Place (Sharon McCone, #16) Trophies and Dead Things (Sharon McCone, #11) Burn Out (Sharon McCone, #26) Locked In (Sharon McCone, #27)