Start by marking “Episodes: My Life as I See It” as Want to Read:
Episodes: My Life as I See It

Episodes: My Life as I See It

EPISODES is a memoir like no other. Debut writer, Blaze Ginsberg, offers a unique perspective on his life as a highly-functioning autistic 21 year old. Inspired by the format of the Internet Movie Database, Blaze organizes his life events as a collection of episodes. Some episodes are still running, some are in syndication, and some have sadly come to an end. With an inn
Published September 1st 2009 by Roaring Brook Press (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Episodes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Episodes

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

Blaze Ginsberg is a unique individual. In his book, he discusses his life as a high-functioning autistic teenager. Blaze's novel is also unique in the way that it is formatted. He views his life as a group of episodes, much like a television series.

Different things are important to Blaze - who he talked to during the day, trying to find a girlfriend, going to his college classes. Some of the episodes are in syndication, some have ended, and others are on-g
Jeni Decker
Nov 22, 2011 Jeni Decker rated it it was amazing
Holy Guacamole! First, let me just say - this is MY kid. Blaze Ginsberg, who I adore after reading this book, IS my son Jake. I’ve got two autistic sons and this book will now and forever be added to the list of recommendations when someone asks me what it ‘feels like’ to be autistic. Such amazing and touching insights from the point of view of a young man with Aspergers.

Not since reading the fictional ‘The Curious Incident of a Dog in the Night Time” have I enjoyed a read so much.

Debra Ginsbe
Christen
Nov 05, 2009 Christen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hell-yah-its-ya
yes, it was a little hard to follow, but I LOVED reading a story from the point of view of a teen with high functioning autism. There is so much info out there about children with autism, there just isn't a lot about teens. Now that my son is 12, I feel like I need more help than ever understanding his motivations.
David
Oct 20, 2013 David added it
Shelves: won-t-read
I read two pages and decided I don't want to read this book.
The author seems to have mild case of austism, like I do. I don't want to revisit the past and felt this book might cause me to revisit my past.
Xing Xing Zheng
Oct 26, 2012 Xing Xing Zheng rated it liked it
Title- Episodes-My Life As I See It Blaze Ginsberg-9/1/09-Pages (274) Price-$16.99US-21.99-Canada
Author- Blaze Ginsberg ISBN: 978-1-59643-461-5

Did you ever try to solve every problem with a one hundred percent solution? Well I know that Blaze Ginsberg has tried to solve every problem. He has great writing skills. This outstanding book he wrote, Episodes- My Life as I See It, is amazing is amazing. Well because the book had all different types of structure and organization. It is explained in a
Stephen Parrish
EPISODES is a unique memoir. It chronicles the life of Blaze Ginsberg from his freshman year in high school through his first two years in college, and it does so as a sequence of television episodes staring the author, his family, and the people most influential in his life.

We see the world through the eyes of a teenager on the autism spectrum: how he relates to school, friends, romantic crushes, and the harsh realities of a first job. All to the tune of episode "soundtracks," the ubiquitous ba
shawn
Sep 28, 2009 shawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
fascinating format for an autobiography. high-functioning autistic college kid writes memoir as a collection of tv series listed by episode, like you might find on a tv show fansite. incredible to read, for starters. genuine and funny and thoroughly innovative. knowing and having worked with a lot of autistic kids, some of the stuff i recognized as classic behaviors -- but much of it was very telling, in an unabashed self-revealing manner. there's a constant and compelling back-and-forth between ...more
Rebecca Owen
In 2003, Debra Ginsberg wrote Raising Blaze about parenting her high functioning autistic son, Blaze. Written as TV episodes, Episodes tells, as the subtitle suggests, of his life the way he sees it. Each episode tells of a specific day in his life, listing characters, a summary, trivia, as well as soundtrack listings. Starting with his first year of high school, it goes through college and into the writing of his book.
Overall, the writing is somewhat stilted, reminding one of reading someone’
Sue Wargo
Oct 23, 2013 Sue Wargo rated it liked it
This is the YA autobiography of Blaze Ginsberg, an autistic young man who chronicles his late high school years and venture into college. The book chapters are crafted like movie and tv segments similar to the Imdb. Each chapter includes everything from songs to narrative notes about the chapters. Blaze is a high functioning autistic young man who writes about his foibles, obsessions, and a bottom line need and want to have a girl friend. He obsesses about movie and tv female icons such as Hilar ...more
Yasmin
Sep 07, 2010 Yasmin rated it liked it
This is a memoir written by an autistic young man.
I am giving him a three star review.
It is interesting to read how an autistic person would think which makes it worth it reading the first chapter or two.
However it does get old and you will feel repetitiveness for the rest of the book.
I liked the introduction his Mom, who is an author, made for the book.
If they'd wrote the book together, in a way where chapters alternate between her point of you and her son's writings, somewhat like the Poison
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
After reading Raising Blaze I learned Blaze himself had written a book. An interestingly constructed look at his life from where his mom's book left off, this book brings the reader through his sophomore year of college.

It started off slow, but by the halfway point I was in the rhythm of reading the "episodes." It is a very unique book structure.

Overall I thought the book was an interesting look into the world of a young adult with autism. Definitely a good read especially if you have already
David Archuleta
May 04, 2016 David Archuleta rated it liked it
A memoir by about a teenagers high school life. In school some people should watch out for kids who have problems learning. Stuff could be happening at home or they just have problems. This book is basically a book about the life of a teenage boy named Blaze an his high school life. Blaze has autism and has learned his social skills threw this special school he went too. I have to give some credit to this guy because he's autistic and has wrote a book during his life, and not many fulling functi ...more
Lia
Jul 25, 2013 Lia rated it it was ok
Even though I did appreciate the unique format of this auto-biography, I just couldn't finish it. I simply wasn't curious about what was going to happen next. I think it's because the book consists of series of events that are fairly equal in importance and intensity, rather than having a major event that follows other little incidents in the development. Oh, the introduction written by the author's mom was very well-written though.
Pdxladybug
Jul 11, 2010 Pdxladybug rated it liked it
Memoirs written by a man with Asperger's syndrome. It's very interesting to see his thought process and what stands out to him as important details about different events. Overall, getting to see how he saw the world was interesting to me, but the last 1/3 of the book felt kind of tedious. I almost felt obligated to finish it. I love that the book is divided into small chunks ("episodes")--that made it particularly easy to pick up and read a bit when I had a small bit of free time.
Jan 17, 2010 Laura rated it it was ok
I really didn't respond to this book - the style (live as a series of TV episodes) got tiresome and the plot (teenager in hs) wasn't all that compelling. Knowing that Blaze is a high-functioning autistic didn't really change my response to his book, although others may find his description of what life is/was like for him more interesting.
Tammy
Jan 06, 2015 Tammy marked it as abandoned
I can't finish this book! I hate to abandon a book but I've given this one too much of my time. I picked it up off of a $1 table. I thought it would be interesting to read "a unique view into his mind and life as a high functioning autistic teenager." It was somewhat interesting for the first 50 or so pages but, at page 104, I give up thinking that there's going to be more to pull me back in.
M Shannon
Oct 09, 2012 M Shannon rated it did not like it
I really wanted to love this book - I have read most of his mom's non- fiction & fiction books so I was already familiar with the author & his family. I just couldn't get into the format or his writing style. A brave young man for sure but the simplistic format got in the way of any message.
Jorge Guzman
Nov 03, 2011 Jorge Guzman rated it it was ok
The book Episodes:my life as i see it was an okay book. It was a good book of a boy entering a new high school for special kids that need extra help with school. The boy is blaze he tells his life from the first day of high school.
Michelle
Dec 31, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
a memoire written by a hugh function teenager with Autism. Such a great insight into his mind and how he organizes his world. Funny, smart and compassionate. Definitely recommend it.
Judy
Apr 03, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
Real story written by an autistic boy living in California with his author mother. He writes as though his life were a script for a TV series.
Rachel
Feb 22, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Written by an autistic boy, this gives an interesting 'view' into his mind and how he sees life. It was a little hard for me to follow at times but I still enjoyed reading it.
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2011
Amol
Amol rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Elliot Chalom
Elliot Chalom rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Cathy Cavin
Cathy Cavin rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Carrie Dalby
Carrie Dalby rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Lacey Knox
Lacey Knox rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Mecca
Mecca rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2009
Karina
Karina rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2012