Start by marking “Morning Spy, Evening Spy - UNABRIDGED” as Want to Read:
Morning Spy, Evening Spy - UNABRIDGED

Morning Spy, Evening Spy - UNABRIDGED

3.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Praised by "The New Yorker" for capturing "the le Carr manner," MacKinnon breathes life into historical fact with this gripping, fast-paced novel about the search for bin Laden in the months leading to 9/11. Unabridged. 10 CDs.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Morning Spy, Evening Spy - UNABRIDGED, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning Spy, Evening Spy - UNABRIDGED

Jeffrey Keeten
May 04, 2015 Jeffrey Keeten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spies
”We often attribute some kind of abstract, context-free, almost metaphysical evil to these people, and we think we are in a religious war. That’s a mistake. Islam has a way of mixing politics and religion, raising the stakes for both, and making the war look religious when it is in fact intensely political.”

This all begins with an assassination.

Ed Powers, a shadowy contractor for the CIA, is gunned down in Pakistan.

”Then it came. At the margin of his vision, Powers glimpsed flashes of white-pin
Coki
Nov 14, 2008 Coki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listening to. Really have to pay attention because there are a lot of dates and people and spy stuff. - very detailed spy stuff. Interspersed with details from pre 9/11 which adds an interesting context. Took forever to get through because I truly had a hard time keeping track of all the names and dates. The ending is open to interpretation and I'm choosing to pick the less horrific one.
Joe
Jul 08, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
VERY GOOD

Morning Spy, Evening Spy is the first novel I've read by this author and it is a very good one. A blend of fact and fiction, the book is a low key but very engaging espionage tale with an intelligence community insider's perspective on the events leading up to the 9/11 attacks. Our protagonist, Paul Patterson, is a senior CIA agent and agency trouble-shooter. He is tasked with solving the murder of a shady CIA "contractor" in Pakistan. During his investigation, Patterson soon realizes t
Jessica
Listening to. Mediocre. Actor reading this sounds exactly like the husband in the ketchup skit on a Prairie Home Companion. Hard to take seriously when I keep expecting to hear some one sing "these are the good years...ketchuuuuuup"

This book is good when we follow the job - personal life is predictable, uninteresting, hackneyed sexism.
Gary
Feb 27, 2013 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book--but not for reasons some people might be drawn to it. The way this book is marketed on its cover is that it is a "thriller" involving the CIA. A blurb quoted over the title describes it that way, and the cover art is of a man who looks like a young William Hurt running from a sinister-lighted White House.

That does not accurately portray this novel at all, and anyone lured into reading it carrying the "thriller" impression is bound to be sorely disappointed. This is not a CIA
John Treanor
May 07, 2015 John Treanor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one. I would disagree that this is any sort of thriller, as it was characterized in some reviews or maybe the publisher's blurb. It's more of a "CIA procedural". Somewhat slow paced, but seemingly more realistic than most shoot 'em up spy novels.
Mark Pool
Jan 05, 2013 Mark Pool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Well, despite many other reviews, I very much enjoyed this novel. I liked the main characters, especially Paul Patterson and Bill Cleppinger, even though they had their flaws. The collection of intelligence was fascinating. Also, the looming 9/11 attacks color all the events. Yes, there are a lot of characters coming and going, including the 19 terrorists entering the U.S. and taking flight training.
patricia
A good fast vacation read that centers on the politics between the agencies (FBI, CIA, NSA) around a murder investigation in Afghanistan, immediately preceding the World Trade Center attacks. The ultimate plot isn't breathtaking but the weaving in of actual facts and reports of the build up to 9/11 keeps it humming right along.
Andria
May 30, 2009 Andria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an odd book - not my usualy enjoyment level for a spy novel. Written like a log or diary type entries. I found my mind wandering, and uninterested.
Eli
Jun 11, 2007 Eli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Carefully constructed and unsensationally rendered, the book nonetheless lacks any apparent point.
Tina
May 02, 2008 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tries to incorporate actual events related to 9/11 into an uncreative work of fiction.
Bobi
Feb 15, 2009 Bobi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I couldn't get into this one. I didn't even finish it!
Hayden Ellington
To be written later on.
Donna Cahill
Donna Cahill is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
mark s reeves
mark s reeves rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Gary Kirby
Gary Kirby rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Brent
Brent added it
Apr 02, 2016
Ross
Ross added it
Mar 29, 2016
Praveen
Praveen rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2016
Lector
Lector rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2016
Rick
Rick added it
Jan 23, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
铭 杰
铭 杰 rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015