Start by marking “Stormy Weather” as Want to Read:
Stormy Weather

Stormy Weather

In the spirit of her best-selling picture book No Matter What comes another warm, snuggly picture book from Debi Gliori. As a mama fox tucks her baby into bed, she soothes his nighttime fears of the storm outside his window with the promise of watching over him while he sleeps, just like all other baby animals around the world. The adorable illustrations and lilting rhyme ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Walker Childrens (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Stormy Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormy Weather

Kathryn
Jan 02, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I think I'm officially a Debi Gliori fan--her artwork is so whimsical and charming yet also very vibrant. Here we have a sweet bedtime read about how parents all over the animal kingdom shelter their wee ones from the storms and help give them save passage to dreamland. A nice section shows the creatures parent-child pair with bedtime reads. Touching and reassuring!
Mary Parker
Oct 05, 2016 Mary Parker rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book for parents to read to their children at bedtime, as it is a story within a story. The mother kangaroo is reading a story out loud to her baby, and that is the story that the reader is told. The pictures are brightly colored, and the words have a sense of rhyme and rhythm to them.
Jill
Jul 20, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
This beautiful book by a much-awarded Scottish author and illustrator will help soothe very young children on rainy or snowy nights.

The various caretakers in this book represent all kinds of very lovable looking animals and other creatures, who reassure the children:

If thunder tore the night in two
and lightening played at peeka BOO,
we’d watch the storm pass overhead,
then curl up safe and snug in bed.”

And if that breeze became a gale –
whipped leaves, snapped twigs, made branches flail
I’d wrap you
Dolly
Dec 19, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Soothing, rhyming bedtime story - perfect for those stormy nights.

We noticed that Debi Gliori put in a plug for her book Little Bear and the Wish Fish. Debi Gliori, as the little fox has that book open on his bed in the first pages.

Cassie
Ages 2 and up. I really liked that his book depicted a variety of little animals being read bedtime stories. It's great for children to see reading in books. They rhyming rhythmic text was soothing and sweet and can help children with phonological awareness. And some of the words chosen can help build vocabularies.
Dani
May 28, 2013 Dani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book! The pictures are wonderful and, even better, the rhyming is sophisticated enough that I never tired of reading it. You know how some kids' books are fine the first or second time through, but you can't handle much more than that? This is not one of those books. Like good poetry, it only gets better with each reading.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Animal parents assure their young that all will be well through the night. Gliori's double page spreads convey gentleness in words and pictures. Mother polar bear reassures her cub, "And if the snow began to fall, flake on flake piled up so tall. We'd make a snow four-poster bed and go to sleep on that instead." This is a cozy bedtime story, a gentle send-off to a very good night.
Whole And
Aug 06, 2013 Whole And rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Debi Gliori has created a beautiful bed time story for the little people in your life, encouraging the safety and security provided by those who love them. "Stormy Weather" describes the length to which parents will go to to create a safe haven for their children through illustrations of nature and animals. A snuggly, cozy book that will be read over and over again.

Lindsey
Nov 27, 2012 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for a good bedtime story. I really enjoyed reading it! The words blended nicely and the words rhymed. It was basically like a poem. I think kids would like reading this book, or having someone read it to them.
Cassie
Feb 25, 2010 Cassie rated it really liked it
Flora's Blanket used to be my favorite Debi Gliori book, but I think Stormy Weather has just won that title! Her amazingly whimsical illustrations coupled with the reassuring rhyme combine to make the perfect bedtime story to share with your little one. Check it out today!
Emerson
Nov 14, 2011 Emerson rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I really liked this book! We've had it for a while, but I decided it would be fun to read it this weekend. It has very pretty illustrations and I like the idea that no matter what (ha! book by the same author), even if it's stormy outside, I will be okay.
Hope Johnson
Apr 06, 2011 Hope Johnson rated it liked it
This book is a good book for rhyming words. On every page there are atleast one set of rhyming words. Also, this book could be used for weather. On every page there is a different problem or thing happening with weather and this could be a book to read as a hook for a weather lesson.
Rachel Salinas
Nov 01, 2013 Rachel Salinas rated it really liked it
Diego and I love this book. The language and illustrations are very warm and soothing. I want to live in some of the pages, that's how cozy the animals look. I think this book could help a lot of toddlers transition to bedtime.
Brittany
Mar 02, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Cute, educational, and endearing. Definitely a book worth owning! Amazing for a simple bedtime story. Also introduces new words to inquisitive young minds. LOVE this book.
Kim
May 03, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Differenty animals across the globe protect their child so that they may sleep. Sweet and beautiful pictures
Josie
Oct 14, 2011 Josie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kais-books
One to read on the bad days, on those 'you against the world' days, under a duvet together. Every single mum should have this on her bookshelf as a reminder it will all be okay.
Grace
Dec 05, 2010 Grace rated it really liked it
A mother kangaroo tucks in her child and promises to keep him safe no matter what the weather may bring.
marshaherbert
marshaherbert rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Breanna
Breanna rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
ah
ah rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2014
Danielle Jones
Danielle Jones rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
Smrkaan
Smrkaan rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2011
Duane Stoddard
Duane Stoddard rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Lynda
Lynda rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Shana
Shana rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Paul J Street
Paul J Street rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Chenoa
Chenoa rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ready for Anything!
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Kiki's Blankie
  • Peeny Butter Fudge
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • Me With You
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • Bernice Gets Carried Away
  • Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant
Debi Gliori (born 1959) is a Scottish author and illustrator of children's books.
She grew up as an only child in Glasgow, and when young began drawing and writing stories. She started writing children's books in 1976, and attended art school in Edinburgh from 1979 to 1984. She then received a travelling scholarship award to go to Milan, and worked as a freelance from 1984 onwards.
She is the author
More about Debi Gliori...