Start by marking “Merry Christmas, Splat” as Want to Read:
Merry Christmas, Splat

Merry Christmas, Splat (Splat the Cat)

It's the night before Christmas, and Splat wonders if he's been a good enough cat this year to deserve a really big present. Just to make sure, he offers some last-minute help to his mom and, in typical Splat fashion, he messes up completely! That night Splat stays awake hoping to see Santa Claus. But when Splat misses him, he's sure his Christmas is ruined—along with his

Published September 22nd 2009 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Merry Christmas, Splat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry Christmas, Splat

Jessica
Nov 30, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Splat wants a really big present for Christmas, but has he been good enough? Kids who worry that Santa will bring them coal will love this book, which (don't worry) ends happily! I love how soft Splat and his family always look in these books, and my kids howl with laughter as Splat tries to wait up for Santa and just misses him. This was our first Splat the Cat book, and we've collected most of them now.
Angie
Sep 27, 2010 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
I really really wanted to give this one four because Splat is just so cute and fuzzy (and I do NOT like cats).

Would have been four if he had learned at all what the spirit of Christmas is all about. He did try to do a couple of good deeds (that didn't really need doing) so that's something. But in the end the story is mostly about him wanting a big present and getting a big present.

But CUTE CUTE CUTE illustrations.
Alex
Dec 04, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing
Splat is a cat that LOVES Christmas! He is so excited for Christmas Day, when he can opens all of his presents. However, when his little sister reminds him that he wasn't such a nice kitty all year long, Splat gets worried. He decides to help his mom around the house (maybe more than is needed). But will this be enough to encourage Santa to visit?
Christmas is almost here, and this book was a funny story about Splat's excitement for the holiday. He just wants to help out to be a good cat, but he
Bookish
Dec 05, 2016 Bookish rated it really liked it
The ending was more abrupt than I was expecting, but otherwise it's cute.
Aylea
This review also published at The Children's Book and Media Review

Splat the Cat knows that it is important to write a letter to Santa and be good so that he can get what he wants for Christmas, but he (and especially his little sister) aren’t convinced that Splat has been good enough to get the really big present he wants. Splat decides to do everything he can to help his mom get ready for Christmas. He even washes the Christmas dishes that aren’t dirty. When he’s still not sure if he’s been goo
Dec 19, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Review will be posted at Owl Tell You About It soon.

I love this freaking cat. I’ve already put all the hardcovers on my wishlist. I read some of the level 1 readers. Those are cute too, but I really love the big hardcover ones. Those are always so precious. I still have to read the Easter one. There’s also a new one coming out in February. So exited! I’m definitely going to get these and read them to my kids later in life.

This Christmas one might be the cutest one I’ve read yet. Splat wrote a le
Dolly
Dec 23, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, christmas, 2011
Fairly typical Christmas tale of a youngster who is concerned if he was good enough to get presents for Christmas. Will Santa leave a present? We've read many of the stories in the Splat the Cat series created by Rob Scotton. Our youngest really likes these books, although I'm much more ambivalent. The illustrations are cute and at least this story appears to have been written and illustrated by Rob Scotton; many of the newer tales are written and illustrated by others. Overall, it's a basic Chr ...more
L.
Feb 27, 2014 L. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
The Splat books always have excellent illustrations and address one kid issue. Many readers have complained about it not addressing the true meaning of Christmas. I find that problematic, since not everyone believes in Christ and children's books frequently are used to promote adult agendas on young minds. The book is told from a child's perspective: one that understands the value of reciprocity and not philosophical truths, expresses the anxiety of temporary childhood concerns, and the need for ...more
Katya Vinogradova
Dec 15, 2014 Katya Vinogradova rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun and meaningful story to read for Christmas
This was such a hit with my little readers at our library class! I read this story to three different PK classes and they all listened in awe and were very worried that Splat truly wouldn't have the perfect Christmas.
The story of Splat, who wished for a really big present this Christmas, teaches the kids several things:
1. Start thinking about whether you've been good or bad at least a few days before Christmas;
2. Help around the house when you're asked, not when you feel like it;
3. Don't stay up
Ina
Jan 08, 2012 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
Splat is one of my favorite modern children's characters. He is wonderfully illustrated, and kids can easily identify with his fears and insecurities and wants and desires. In this book, Splat wants a very special present but isn't entirely sure that he has been good enough to deserve such a gift. He tries desperately to be extra helpful and demonstrate his very best "good" with less than perfect success. This book is humorous and beautifully illustrated and the kids at storytime enjoyed it. I ...more
Karen
Jul 06, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
My six-year-old son finished the library reading program last week so he was allowed to pick out a book. Since it was the beginning of July, naturally he picked out a Christmas book. I couldn't really blame him, though, because Splat is so darn adorable.

I kind of really liked that Splat didn't have earn his Christmas present -- although he did try -- his family gave him a present because they loved him. I probably wouldn't have received too many Christmas presents either if they truly were give
Nov 07, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
I love Splat the cat. In this Christmas edition, Splat asks Santa for a big present for Christmas, because he has been good. Splat's sister plants doubt in his mind that he has been good (as all siblings must), and he goes around the house trying to be good, like washing the dishes (which are not dirty) and decorating the tree (which already has been done). He waits up all night for Santa (not seeing him sneak in), and assumes he has been bad since Santa did not come. But of course it turns out ...more
Anna
Oct 27, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Splat wanted a really big present for Christmas. After conferring with his friend Seymour, the mouse, as well as his own little sister, Splat decided he would have to be extra good.

Splat began to do chores for mom without being asked. Unfortunately, he picked chores that had already been done, and he made bigger messes.

Splat woke on Christmas morning to NO presents -- until his family yelled "Surprise!" and brought out all the presents from hiding. Including a big one for Splat!

Chosen by Sean at
Regina
Dec 26, 2013 Regina rated it liked it
Splat is all ready for Christmas, with his list perfectly made out. He's absolutely sure that he's been nothing but perfect all year,...until his sister throws doubt into his mind. Splat knows just what he has to do. First, he needs to do as many good deeds as possible, and then he needs to stay up late so that he can personally reassure Santa that he deserves a Merry Christmas.

Splat is always funny, and this was no different. The illustrations are fun, and the subtle humor is never lost, even o
Edward Creter
Merry Splatty Christmas everybody! This is my gift to all the fans of the most adorable kitty of all kids' litter-ature (as in: kitty litter-ature!). In this one, Splat the Cat loves Christmas, but he feels left out when his catty sister pipes up with the known fact that Santa ONLY gives big gifts to "good" little kittens. How sad! Can Splat realize that you can be a Bad Kitty and still be loved at Christmas? I'd love to think so, 'cos Splat deserves the LOOOOVE! MEOW NOEL!!!!
RC
Dec 11, 2014 RC rated it liked it
Splat finishes writing his letter to Santa the day before Christmas. He is worried though, whether or not he has been a good cat since he sister things not and his friend Seymour somewhat agrees. Splat decides to help his mother get ready for Christmas to make up for possibly not being good. He washes the Christmas dishes that are already clean, redecorates the tree and attempts to shovel the front walk. Will Santa still bring Splat the big present he wants? Find out in Merry Christmas, Spat!
Karen Arendt
Aug 04, 2010 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
I love splat! The illustrations are so humorous, expressive, and fuzzy. Splat want a really big present for Christmas (though he doesn't know what he wants) but he thinks he hasn't been god enough (thanks to his little sister saying so). So Splat decides to help his Mom get ready for Christmas. It would be fun to ask students what they think would be in Splat's present as part of the lesson.
Rosa Cline
Nov 25, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas, 2015
Splat writes a letter to Santa and asks for a big present. But then he worries that he hasn't been good enough this year for a big present. So he helps his mama around the house. Then he worries all night long if Santa is coming. In the morning there are no presents and he's sad, until his parents surprise him with lots of presents and his is the biggest one of all!
Fjóla
This was my son's choice, and while I was a little put off by the art at first, this book actually has quite a few redeeming qualities. First of all, it's quite funny, and part of the humor is aimed at the parents. The pictures are finally pretty good, once I got over my dislike of the illustration style, and the story could spark some good discussions with your child.
Den
Dec 15, 2014 Den rated it did not like it
Shelves: children, 2014
Another Christmas themed book i was not impressed with. Basically Splat wonders if he has been good enough for presents and to make sure he 'helps' people around him. Then he stays awake to tell Santa but nods off so he'll never be able to Santa how he tried so hard to be good.

Children could talk about what things they do to 'help'others.
Jen
Jan 09, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
I am NOT a cat lover, but who can resist Splat? I discovered my first Splat book over Christmas Break and knew I just needed to read the Christmas story. I really wish that Splat would have discovered the true meaning of Christmas in this book, but he didn't. I also want to know what was in that HUGE package that he received!

Illustrations are fantastic, as always.
Kristi Bernard
Feb 19, 2014 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing
The furry little cat, Splat, is at it again. In Merry Christmas, Splat, he is a little nervous about the holiday. Has he been good enough through out the year to get a present? He suddenly is very helpful around the house. But is one day of being helpful enough to bring Santa around for Christmas? You will just have to read it to find out
Briana
Dec 02, 2010 Briana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy great artwork and cute kitties...
I definitely want to get my own personal copy. Really enjoyed the artwork and color schemes that he used. A cute story, but does not exactly talk about the true meaning of Christmas. Very disappointed in the ending....WTF was in the Christmas package!!!! =O
Connie
Apr 27, 2010 Connie rated it liked it
Shelves: jv
Splat the cat worries he is not good enough to warrant a visit from Santa. I especially like the illustrations of Splat in bed with the flashlight watching for Santa--I remember doing the same thing!
Lisa
A very cute book about Splat the cat, who realizes on Christmas Eve that he may not have been good enough to get the present he wants. Because of this, he decides to be extra helpful, which isn't actually very helpful. But luckily enough, Santa still gives him the big present.
Denise
Nov 12, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Splat is back and just in time for Christmas. Splat begins to worry he hasn't been good enough to deserve a visit from Santa, so he decides to help his mom. Just like a young child, Splat's help becomes more of a hindrance than anything. Great read aloud for late preschoolers/early elementary.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Jan 01, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, holidays, humorous
Holly Letson
Splat is trying too hard to impress everyone into thinking he has been good, so he can get a "really big present" for Christmas. But, his antics are truly annoying an un-needed. However, he still gets presents on Christmas.
Garrett
Dec 29, 2010 Garrett rated it it was amazing
This is the second book that the whole family wanted to read. It is a little too close to home sometimes (kids wanting to help and making more work for us), but that is a good thing because it makes us laugh.
Miss Ryoko
Jan 29, 2015 Miss Ryoko rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the Splat books!! Splat is an adorable cat! And his family reminds me of my cat's family - four cats, three white one black. But my cat (Jolie) would be Splat's dad cuz she had a touch of gray on her head and tail :-p Haha!
  • Here Comes Santa Cat
  • A Bad Kitty Christmas
  • I've Seen Santa!
  • How to Catch Santa
  • Tacky's Christmas
  • The Gingerbread Pirates
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • Little Santa
  • Yay, You!: Moving Up and Moving On
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Santa Trap
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • The Return of the Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #2)
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Duck & Goose, It's Time For Christmas!
Rob Scotton is the bestselling author and illustrator of "Russell the Sheep," and "Russell and the Lost Treasure." His latest book, "Splat the Cat" is the story of a young cat facing all the wonders and worries of his first day at cat school. Rob's work can also be found on greeting cards, ceramics, textiles, prints, stationery, and glassware. An honors graduate of Leicester Polytechnic, Rob now ...more
More about Rob Scotton...

Splat the Cat (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Splat the Cat
  • Love, Splat
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Splat the Cat: Where's the Easter Bunny? (Splat the Cat)
  • Back to School, Splat!