Start by marking “Tortured Souls : The Legend of Primordium” as Want to Read:
Tortured Souls : The Legend of Primordium

Tortured Souls : The Legend of Primordium

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Dust jacket and interior illustrations by Bob Eggleton

Tortured Souls is one of the most vividly imagined, tightly compressed novellas ever written by the incomparable Clive Barker. At once violent and erotic, brutal and strangely beautiful, it takes us into the heart of the legendary “first city” known as Primordium, the site of political upheaval, passionate encounters, a
Published (first published October 31st 2014)

Gregor Xane
This novelette was originally written to help sell the Todd McFarlane-designed figurines shown below. It was sliced up into six pieces and each figurine came with a part of the larger story.

Both the collectibles and the story seem like attempts to out Clive Barker Clive Barker.

I was entertained but not thrilled.

I'd only recommend this to Barker completists like myself.
Andy
A short series of closely connected tales surrounding the mythos of Agonistes, rearranger of flesh, and his role in the decline and fall of the corrupt city-nation Primordium.
Michael Benavidez
Finished this in a day.
What does that say?
Well it's good. It's Clive Barker being dark and mysterious, constructing a mythos. All these things he's great at.
However, for it to really excel, Barker needs more room than a novella. Especially for something of this magnitude. Instead it looks to the figures (of which this tale surrounds) to fill in the blanks of what details should exist for the creatures.
There is plenty of room for the mythos to thrive, but not enough to really send the story of
Nathaniel Brehmer
An intriguing and surprisingly successful experiment. I'm not sure anyone but Barker could have pulled it off. This novella was released in segments with the Tortured Souls action figure series, each character packaged with a chapter depicting their origins while forwarding the overall story. And in the end, it's an interesting story (and a dark corner of the Hellraiser mythology, perhaps) with memorable, visceral characters and another glimpse, short as it is, into Barker's talent for world bui ...more
Lianna
I'm a Barker sycophant; you'll get nothing unbiased from me when it comes to this author. I like every dark and disgusting thing that shoots out of his fingertips and into my brain.

In the end I like that I got a very "Sin City" meets "Sodom and Gomorrah" vibe from this novella, but I wish the whole thing were longer. I feel like there could have been a great (long, drawn out, exhausted) series based in this world... Well maybe there is and I just haven't googled it yet. -Googles....-

Okay, so m
Su Halfwerk
I couldn't connect with any of the characters. It was as though there is a curtain between me and the story. Perhaps the events moved too fast.
I'm not sure, but I didn't feel this one.
Andrew
Tortured Souls is a slightly unusual project from Clive Barker. The story was divided into six parts and each part was included with a figure from the Tortured Souls collection. These figures were brought to life by Todd McFarlane (creator of Spawn) and were based on the characters from the story.

We are taken to the decadent and putrid city of Primordium, which is ruled by cruel and corrupt leaders. No one man can stand up to them; no one, that is, until an assassin, Zarles Kreiger, is offered t
Vladimir Stamenov
Not much to say. I liked it, but barely. Mainly for Barker's skill at imagining and describing all sorts of flesh monsters and conveying a sense of filth, pestilence and despair with the freaks he populates his stories with. Worldbuilding, characterisation and story are all kind of shit. The prose is not his best, even if the only other thing I've read of his are a couple of stories. A serviceable and completely forgettable novella. Great illustrations and concept though.
Brittney Martinez
an astonishing novella about a corrupt city and the monsters that inhabit it. This story managed to scare, disturb, and intrigue me in it's 89 pages. it's graphic, so I wouldn't recommend for the squeamish.
Lou Yuhasz
Shorter than I thought it would be, still vintage Barker. Sex,Fantasy and body horror in a strange little fable
Ingelin
It's a story full of gore. Besides that there is hardly any plot or anything to engage me.
Patrick
Sort of a horror version of a fairy tale.

Very cool.
Shawn
This is utterly fantastic. A short work by Clive Barker that immediately sucks you in and shakes you until it is finished. I loved this little book. I wish there was so much more. The world he creates in the Primordium is absolutely fascinating and you get caught up in the vivid details and characters that live there. This is a world I would love for him to plunge into whole heartedly with a full novel.
Matthew Eldredge
Good read

This book is pure Clive Barker and I enjoyed it immensely. The heroes are evil and the enemies are evil it's hard to know who to believe is good. In the end there is no winners.
Chris
Mar 31, 2015 Chris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This cover looks like it could be a black metal album cover. Something that the Riddick Brothers would have done in their glory days.
Paige Belfield
Paige Belfield marked it as to-read
Joell Smith-Borne
Joell Smith-Borne marked it as to-read
Chris Francis
Chris Francis marked it as to-read
  • Nobody's Home: An Anubis Gates Story
  • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories
  • The Hunter from the Woods
  • Black Hat Jack
  • The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales
  • The End of the Sentence
  • Academic Exercises
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • The Jack Vance Treasury
  • Muse of Fire
  • The Mallet of Loving Correction
  • Inside Job
  • Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.8)
  • The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle)
  • The Sword & Sorcery Anthology
  • Arcanum 101
Clive Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Rubie (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. Educated at Dovedale Primary School and Quarry Bank High School, he studied English and Philosophy at Liverpool University and his picture now hangs in the entrance hallway to the Philosophy Department. It ...more
More about Clive Barker...
The Great and Secret Show (Book of the Art #1) The Hellbound Heart Books of Blood, Volumes One to Three The Thief of Always Abarat (Abarat, #1)

“In his perversity, or his genius, or both,” 0 likes