Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day

Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day (Tales to Tickle the Funnybone #5)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Today, Molly
Learned her wacky grandma was coming to spend the day at school
with her.
Lost her Notebook with everything that matters in it, including her homework.
Got a black eye
Tore her skirt
And it’s only 9 a.m.
Could things get any worse?
You bet!
Published February 14th 2006 by Yearling (first published 2004)

KidsFiction Teton County Library
J Short Chapter Paulsen

If you are looking for a funny and light book, this is the one. I chuckled throughout. Have you ever had one of "those days" when everything went wrong? Molly's day will make yours seem like nothing.

Molly is a highly organized seventh grader, or at least she was when she had her notebook. The loss of this notebook has caused Molly great stress. Her school is having "Senior Citizen's Day" and Molly's grandmother, Irene, joins her for a day filled with adventure -- or as Mol...more
Elizabeth
May 09, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with an afternoon with nothing to in need of a good laugh
Shelves: make-me-laugh
The cover made me laugh! That was the only reason I read it. It was a fun, quick read. Surprisingly, it was on a higher reading level than I was expecting. Like the word "dossier". I had to ask what that meant... (It's a collection of documents on the same subject, specifically about a person, in case you are wondering) So, it was light and funny, and it increased my vocabulary!

Molly McGinty is organized. Very Organized. She almost cried when she saw a picture of how the Wright brothers organize...more
Whitney
Molly McGinty is in Jr. High and she lives her life through her organized notebook. When she loses it she has the worst day ever, she gets a black eye and finds out that her crazy grandmother will be coming to school with her for the day. Her grandma is caught smoking in the girls bathroom and Molly gets detention when she skips class to talk to the principal about it. Will Molly ever loosen up? I really liked this book, i thought it was hilarious, and i loved the not so subtle way Paulsen teach...more
Jess
Sep 26, 2009 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5th & 6th grade girls
Recommended to Jess by: found while realphabetizing shelves
Shelves: z_09, juniors
Molly McGinty knows the secret to life: her delightfully organized binder. When it goes missing, her day goes to pot.

Gary Paulsen wrote a book with a female lead? Sweet. It isn't a "whoa, there's a bear" adventure, but I work with enough sixth graders to know that a day at school can still qualify.

OK, her grandma is a little too "force of life" to be entirely believable. I don't know that Catholic schools are still that full of Mary's. But I liked it, it's funny, and both the main and side chara...more
Jackie
Molly McGinty, Catholic School student, gets a black eye tripping over a huge black bag, loses her organizational notebook, and tears her skirt...but the worst part? Her grandmother, Irene is accompanying her to school for 'special person' day. Molly is mortified. Irene takes over English class, chats it up in French with the stern nun who teaches the class, and gets a detention for smoking in the bathroom.

Yet, it turns out that all these things make it a really good day. Molly McGinty Has a Re...more
Yapha
This was a fun story about one of those days where absolutely everything that can go wrong does. We've all had them. But for a super-organized middle schooler like Molly, the loss of the binder that organizes her life, along with her over-the-top grandmother coming to school for the day, combine to create a whirlwind of diaster. Could this possibly be her worst day ever? A quick read for grades 3 - 6.
I really liked this book, but not *quite* as much as Lawn Boy which was absolutely hilarious. LB was very self-contained, and it didn't suffer from the brief, concise format that Paulsen used for both books. I loved this look in one day in the life of Molly McGinty and her grandmother, Irene, but I was left wanting more! Which isn't to say that that is necessarily a bad thing in a book.
Anners
"Today,
- Molly lost her Notebook.
- Her Notebook that Contained Everything She Needed to Live.
- Including her homework.
- Learned her wacky grandma Irene was coming to spend the day at school with her.
- Got a black eye.
- Was late to class.

And it's only nine a.m.

Could things get any worse?

You BET!"
Deana Starnes
Molly wakes up and things immediately start to change. She has lost her notebook, gives herself a black eye, her grandmother decides to go and spend the day at school with her, and this all before she gets on the bus, (which she almost misses). Things go on from here! This is a funny book, and anyone will enjoy it!
Allison
Senior citizen day at school means that Molly's grandmother, Irene, is spending the day with her class. Molly's day is off to a terrible start when she realizes that she forgot her NOTEBOOK. Her entire life is in that thing! Then, her grandmother at school turns out to be her worst nightmare, or is it?
Kate
This was an okay book t was good but I didn't like it as much as I thought and I don't think Irene should have hid Molly's notebook, it was really weird, you might like this if you liked umbrella summer and eleven birthdays, I didn't.
Ashley
A very sweet book that took a matter of about 45 minutes to read. It was very cute and as with all of Gary Paulsen's books, the main character is strong. He'll be in our town in a few weeks! I really hope that I get to meet him!
Amy
I listened to this on cd on the way to and from Vegas. It was quick and fun! What a creative story about a girl who is dependent on her folder and when it is lost she has the worst day of her life... or does she??
Debrarian
Okay. Molly is type A, her grandma is a free spirit who comes to school with her and makes her day utterly chaotic but in the end frees her from the tyranny of her organizer notebook. A bit forced.
Sue
a short and sweet book that teaches us to appreciate what we have and to go with the glow sometimes! structure is always the best way to live our lives! and the grass is not always greener on the other side
Sara Bean
Cute and amusing kid's book...though I don't know if sixth-grade girls would refer to each other as 'you boob' in anything but an ironic "hey, my parents used this as an insult 50 years ago" way.
Betsy
I used this book when I taught sixth grade. The students (girls AND boys) as well as I could not get enough! It is hysterical! Even if you don't teach middle school, it is worth a quick read!
Caitlin
Short, sweet and easy read. Funny- may be more fit for 6th/7th graders than my 5th graders based on some vocab and sarcasm. I did like Gary Paulsen writing with a female character!
Yoonmee
What a fun, charming, funny, fast read! This will appeal to girls more than boys, but you might be able to get some boys to read it. The message isn't exactly subtle, but it works.
Kristen Gurri
I really like the Irene character. Yes, the book is dated. She has a pager in her purse. But good writing is good writing and it holds up.
Linda
Better known as a writer with strong male characters, Paulsen takes on a day in the life of a middle schooler with hilarious results!
John
May 03, 2011 John added it
I have read this before, and I think alot of us have, but I just want to give it a re-read to refresh my memory.
Andrew
Irene is so unbelievable that she's almost believable as a character. (will update w/ more details soon)
Jenunique
Aug 23, 2008 Jenunique rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wonderful story, of course. Easy to read, I think we can all find ourselves in Molly.
Lynn
A wonderful story of a little girl who's too organized for her own good.
Nicki
funny day Molly has with her grandmother :)
Brenna
It was okay. I have read better though.
Rocio :D
Feb 25, 2011 Rocio :D is currently reading it
-Looks Like A Good Book(: Havent Read It Tho.
Xsmartin
Great story for girls
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve...more
More about Gary Paulsen...
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)