Start by marking “Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day” as Want to Read:
Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day

Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day (Tales to Tickle the Funnybone #5)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Today, Molly
Learned her wacky grandma was coming to spend the day at school
with her.
Lost her Notebook with everything that matters in it, including her homework.
Got a black eye
Tore her skirt
And it’s only 9 a.m.
Could things get any worse?
You bet!
Published February 14th 2006 by Yearling (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day

KidsFiction Teton County Library
J Short Chapter Paulsen

If you are looking for a funny and light book, this is the one. I chuckled throughout. Have you ever had one of "those days" when everything went wrong? Molly's day will make yours seem like nothing.

Molly is a highly organized seventh grader, or at least she was when she had her notebook. The loss of this notebook has caused Molly great stress. Her school is having "Senior Citizen's Day" and Molly's grandmother, Irene, joins her for a day filled with adventure -- or as Mol
Elizabeth
May 09, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with an afternoon with nothing to in need of a good laugh
Shelves: make-me-laugh
The cover made me laugh! That was the only reason I read it. It was a fun, quick read. Surprisingly, it was on a higher reading level than I was expecting. Like the word "dossier". I had to ask what that meant... (It's a collection of documents on the same subject, specifically about a person, in case you are wondering) So, it was light and funny, and it increased my vocabulary!

Molly McGinty is organized. Very Organized. She almost cried when she saw a picture of how the Wright brothers organize
Whitney
Jun 14, 2010 Whitney rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-420
Molly McGinty is in Jr. High and she lives her life through her organized notebook. When she loses it she has the worst day ever, she gets a black eye and finds out that her crazy grandmother will be coming to school with her for the day. Her grandma is caught smoking in the girls bathroom and Molly gets detention when she skips class to talk to the principal about it. Will Molly ever loosen up? I really liked this book, i thought it was hilarious, and i loved the not so subtle way Paulsen teach ...more
Jess
Sep 26, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 5th & 6th grade girls
Recommended to Jess by: found while realphabetizing shelves
Shelves: middle-grade, z_09
Molly McGinty knows the secret to life: her delightfully organized binder. When it goes missing, her day goes to pot.

Gary Paulsen wrote a book with a female lead? Sweet. It isn't a "whoa, there's a bear" adventure, but I work with enough sixth graders to know that a day at school can still qualify.

OK, her grandma is a little too "force of life" to be entirely believable. I don't know that Catholic schools are still that full of Mary's. But I liked it, it's funny, and both the main and side chara
Jackie
Molly McGinty, Catholic School student, gets a black eye tripping over a huge black bag, loses her organizational notebook, and tears her skirt...but the worst part? Her grandmother, Irene is accompanying her to school for 'special person' day. Molly is mortified. Irene takes over English class, chats it up in French with the stern nun who teaches the class, and gets a detention for smoking in the bathroom.

Yet, it turns out that all these things make it a really good day. Molly McGinty Has a Re
Scott Williams
0ed5e0ef-bbbc-445c-b571-bb2ed9bba583
Yapha
Aug 14, 2011 Yapha rated it really liked it
This was a fun story about one of those days where absolutely everything that can go wrong does. We've all had them. But for a super-organized middle schooler like Molly, the loss of the binder that organizes her life, along with her over-the-top grandmother coming to school for the day, combine to create a whirlwind of diaster. Could this possibly be her worst day ever? A quick read for grades 3 - 6.
Jun 08, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
I really liked this book, but not *quite* as much as Lawn Boy which was absolutely hilarious. LB was very self-contained, and it didn't suffer from the brief, concise format that Paulsen used for both books. I loved this look in one day in the life of Molly McGinty and her grandmother, Irene, but I was left wanting more! Which isn't to say that that is necessarily a bad thing in a book.
Anners
Jun 29, 2010 Anners rated it really liked it
"Today,
- Molly lost her Notebook.
- Her Notebook that Contained Everything She Needed to Live.
- Including her homework.
- Learned her wacky grandma Irene was coming to spend the day at school with her.
- Got a black eye.
- Was late to class.

And it's only nine a.m.

Could things get any worse?

You BET!"
Deana Starnes
Oct 17, 2009 Deana Starnes rated it really liked it
Molly wakes up and things immediately start to change. She has lost her notebook, gives herself a black eye, her grandmother decides to go and spend the day at school with her, and this all before she gets on the bus, (which she almost misses). Things go on from here! This is a funny book, and anyone will enjoy it!
Allison
Jun 07, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
Senior citizen day at school means that Molly's grandmother, Irene, is spending the day with her class. Molly's day is off to a terrible start when she realizes that she forgot her NOTEBOOK. Her entire life is in that thing! Then, her grandmother at school turns out to be her worst nightmare, or is it?
Harley Bennett
Jul 18, 2016 Harley Bennett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Sixth grader Molly McGinty lost her notebook; the one that helped her to stay organized. Without her notebook everything that could go wrong, went wrong, Her day was a series of disasters. This was a good day? Really?
Delightful story.
Kate
Nov 03, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok
This was an okay book t was good but I didn't like it as much as I thought and I don't think Irene should have hid Molly's notebook, it was really weird, you might like this if you liked umbrella summer and eleven birthdays, I didn't.
Ashley
Apr 20, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it
A very sweet book that took a matter of about 45 minutes to read. It was very cute and as with all of Gary Paulsen's books, the main character is strong. He'll be in our town in a few weeks! I really hope that I get to meet him!
Amy
Feb 22, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: book-on-cd
I listened to this on cd on the way to and from Vegas. It was quick and fun! What a creative story about a girl who is dependent on her folder and when it is lost she has the worst day of her life... or does she??
Debrarian
Nov 04, 2010 Debrarian rated it it was ok
Shelves: j-fic
Okay. Molly is type A, her grandma is a free spirit who comes to school with her and makes her day utterly chaotic but in the end frees her from the tyranny of her organizer notebook. A bit forced.
Sue
Dec 01, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
a short and sweet book that teaches us to appreciate what we have and to go with the glow sometimes! structure is always the best way to live our lives! and the grass is not always greener on the other side
Betsy
Jul 23, 2008 Betsy rated it it was amazing
I used this book when I taught sixth grade. The students (girls AND boys) as well as I could not get enough! It is hysterical! Even if you don't teach middle school, it is worth a quick read!
Caitlin
Jul 17, 2013 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Short, sweet and easy read. Funny- may be more fit for 6th/7th graders than my 5th graders based on some vocab and sarcasm. I did like Gary Paulsen writing with a female character!
Yoonmee
What a fun, charming, funny, fast read! This will appeal to girls more than boys, but you might be able to get some boys to read it. The message isn't exactly subtle, but it works.
Kristen Gurri
I really like the Irene character. Yes, the book is dated. She has a pager in her purse. But good writing is good writing and it holds up.
Linda
Mar 06, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Better known as a writer with strong male characters, Paulsen takes on a day in the life of a middle schooler with hilarious results!
John
May 03, 2011 John added it
I have read this before, and I think alot of us have, but I just want to give it a re-read to refresh my memory.
Andrew
Jun 26, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Irene is so unbelievable that she's almost believable as a character. (will update w/ more details soon)
pati
Very quick read and quite funny if you like the odd-ball comedy of Gary Paulsen. And I do!
Jenunique
Aug 23, 2008 Jenunique rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wonderful story, of course. Easy to read, I think we can all find ourselves in Molly.
Lynn
Dec 16, 2007 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A wonderful story of a little girl who's too organized for her own good.
Nicki
Mar 21, 2013 Nicki rated it really liked it
funny day Molly has with her grandmother :)
Brenna
Mar 04, 2011 Brenna rated it liked it
It was okay. I have read better though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Larger-Than-Life Lara
  • The Return (Flight 29 Down, #3)
  • Give Me Liberty
  • Now You See It, Now You Don't (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #15)
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • The Big One-Oh
  • The Same Stuff as Stars
  • The Nobodies
  • The Book of One Hundred Truths
  • Windblowne
  • The Million Dollar Putt (The Million Dollar Series, #5)
  • Someone I Wanted to Be
  • Shakespeare's Spy (Shakespeare Stealer, #3)
  • Sahara Special
  • Solving Zoe
  • Al Capone Does My Homework (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #3)
  • Saraswati's Way
  • Hooey Higgins and the Shark
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...

Tales to Tickle the Funnybone (8 books)
  • The Boy Who Owned the School
  • Harris and Me
  • The Schernoff Discoveries
  • The Glass Cafe: Or the Stripper and the State; How My Mother Started a War with the System That Made Us Kind of Rich and a Little Bit Famous
  • The Amazing Life of Birds: The Twenty-Day Puberty Journal of Duane Homer Leech
  • Lawn Boy