Start by marking “Wagner the Werewolf (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Wagner the Werewolf (T...

George W.M. Reynolds

Edited and with an Introduction by Dick Collins
In the midst of a wood of evergreens on the banks of the Arno, a man - young, handsome, and splendidly attired - has thrown himself upon the ground, where he writhes like a stricken serpent. He is the prey of a demoniac excitement: an appalling consternation is upon him - madness is in his brain - his mind is on fire. Lightni
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1846)

Be the first to ask a question about Wagner the Werewolf (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural)

El
This is about a werewolf named Jacob with incredible abs who is fighting a sparkly vampire named Edward over a girl named Bella—

That's actually not true.

The back cover says this is "one of the very earliest treatments of the Werewolf theme in English literature", but I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate. I have nothing to back that up, but we're going with my gut here, though I am feeling contrary so.

The book started out very well, lots of good ol' family fun with lots of excitement and inof
Mel
I was expecting this to be another Penny Dreadful like Varney the Vampire. But it was so much more. I think this is the best Gothic novel that I have ever read. It is just SO wonderful. The main characters are all delightful shades of gray and all do some rather bad things but still remain the heros of the story. It has wonderful strong women characters who have agency, are clever and very independent spirits. One of the best things about this book was how free of prejudice the author was. The p ...more
Dfordoom
Jun 05, 2010 Dfordoom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-gothic
One of the most famous of the 19th century penny dreadfuls. Pulpy but fun.
Herman Gigglethorpe
Have you ever read a book or fanfic where a face is never a face, but a "countenance"? Or where the main character is so attractive, that only the word "beauteous" can do her justice, and her skin is not pale, but "polished alabaster? Does she have burning or piercing eyes? Perhaps a story where prophecies are spoken in strained rhyming couplets?

Or to put it more bluntly, have you ever read a paranormal romance novel?

If you said "Yes!" to any of these questions, you should know that Wagner the W
Allison O'Toole
Jan 23, 2015 Allison O'Toole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of the Gothic tradition, you must read this. The title implies a lot more werewolf action than the books actually give us, given that the eponymous Wagner is only one part of a sprawling cast of characters. And even if it hasn't got too much werewolfery, it's got schemes, secrets, murders, clandestine affairs, public executions, lovable (and not-so-lovable) rogues, demons and angels, shipwrecks, apostates, revenge plots, self-flagellating nuns, the Inquisition, Rosicrucians, lite ...more
Marksplatter
Wagner the Werewolf reads like a cheap, outdated serialized romance novel. Which is exactly what it is, and I’m loving it – one of the first tales of werewolves in the modern (Victorian) era. Certainly no Bram Stoker or Mary Shelley, it does have a certain appeal, especially keeping in mind its an anachronism, and it doesnt delve deeper than superficial romance novel. The romance and intrigue takes a front row seat while the werewolf theme is actually quite minimal. It does however put forth som ...more
Wilbur
Nov 03, 2012 Wilbur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ridiculous book, but great fun. It has everything; wehr-wolves, evil priests, sex, violence, Arabs, ladies in distress, nudity, Faust, the devil, angels. Let me know if there are any other of Reynolds books available.
Harris
Mar 14, 2009 Harris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, uk
This book, I feel, is more a historical curiosity than a piece of literature that can really be appreciated today, at least by me. I was curious about its status as a "penny dreadful" popular during the mid-19th century, a piece of Victorian pop fiction. Unlike more "classic" works that are still read today, (like Shelley's "Frankenstein" or even Stoker's "Dracula") Wagner the Werewolf has little to offer modern readers. Word count is stretched, the plot is melodramatic and easily predictable, d ...more
A
Aug 21, 2012 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has EVERYTHING! Enough said: just pick one and read!
Michael
Feb 04, 2010 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is the first book in years that tried my patience so much so I couldn't bare to finish it. The novel starts with some nice, creepy imagery, some obvious precursors to modern horror tropes (some of them rather trashy, like self-flagellating virgins), but Reynolds employs the most verbose prose possible, no doubt to extend this serialized story as long as possible, to make a buck.

So, this book defeated me. I've had a long streak of finishing every book I start, and this one just made me rethi
Mark R.
Feb 11, 2010 Mark R. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a difficult time with this book. It starts out promisingly, and certainly has some good ideas and fun scenes, but the writing style is unbearable.

First, though, let's take a look at some of what's covered in this story (spoilers here, if anyone cares):

- A man is turned into a werewolf and for a year and a half attends upon a demonic semi-human figure, who takes about sixty years off his life, making him young again.

- The lover of a recently deceseased count is murdered by that count's
Olivier Bosman
Oct 21, 2016 Olivier Bosman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave up on this. Been reading it since February and it's still not finished, so that just goes to show how unengaging it is.

It's not my genre, really. This is Victorian pulp. I thought it would be interesting to read an original penny dreadful, but this book was very melodramatic and not all that 'dreadful'. It might have been mildly entertaining if it were shorter (originally it would have been published in installments in a penny dreadful magazine), but reading it one go, it's just too pondero
AJ
Sep 17, 2015 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished! Amazingly very little to do with Wagner the Wehrwolf. At times this was a real page turner. Other times very tedious. I'm very glad I read it though. It's a great story. Strip out the werewolf part and a little bit of the relationship stuff and it would make a great movie. While the story is Gothic it is NOT a horror novel. It is more of a court intrigue story. Nisida may be the most evil female character since Lady Macbeth.
Claudette Bottom-Darden
i was surprised to find Wagner the Wehr-Wolf to be a story of resisting evil, a tale of forgiveness and salvation. It is not about those threatened by the wehr-wolf standing against him for they couldn't. It was Wagner himself fleeing from evil and seeking redemption. It is a deeply spiritual story.
Peter
Jan 16, 2017 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reynolds was a very prolific writer in the 19th century. This may be one of the first Wehr-Wolf stories ever. Very intriguing, interesting locations and a real evil character in form of a woman. Reading this book is like watching a movie. You won't regret reading that book if you're interested in 19th century fiction!
Audax Dreik
Very conflicted about this book. Went from being irked somewhat at the lack or werewolves and involvement of the titular character to a genuine interest in all the intertwining story lines and then to disappointment in the conclusion.
Beth Clothier
I get that this was originally published as a serial and the writer was probably paid by the word (and it shows) but somewhere beneath the continual twists and turns is a halfway decent story. I've read worse.
Aara
Sep 27, 2012 Aara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some interesting moments and themes, but the overall structure is long and rambling at times. Every time something really got me excited to turn the page, some new character or romance would be introduced.
Ilo
"He saw that he was hovering on the verge of a fearful abyss - and he trembled lest he should fall, so intense was his love for Nisida."
Mary
Jan 09, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wagner the Werewolf is a a decent book. It's closer to today's popular culture style of writing than the other pulp fiction from the 1800s I've read.
Alex
Oct 01, 2014 Alex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
El is digging this so far - could try to cram it into the Gothic segment. 1848.
Sophie Raine
Oct 08, 2015 Sophie Raine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is so hard to rate. It's so awful but so good. It also uses the word 'countenance' about 300 times, and the characters are awful. There is also very little on werewolves...
Amazing!
Duckie
Jun 12, 2012 Duckie rated it it was ok
I haven't been this bored by werewolves since I fell asleep watching "New Moon."
Pyotrick Pisarek
Pyotrick Pisarek rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Bill Bailey
Bill Bailey rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Rebecca
Nov 28, 2009 Rebecca marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
*anticipates genius* ;)
Mira
Mira rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Michael Hoskin
Michael Hoskin rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2014
Gareth Trevor
Gareth Trevor rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2017
Silvana Stanojev
Silvana Stanojev rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories
  • The Lancashire Witches
  • To the Devil a Daughter (Molly Fountain, #1) (Black Magic, #4)
  • Haunter of the Ring & Other Tales
  • The Werewolf in Lore and Legend
  • Gothic Short Stories
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • The Were-Wolf
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • The Necromancer, or The Tale of the Black Forest
  • The Dead of Night
  • Shapeshifter
George William MacArthur Reynolds was a journalist and, as author of "penny dreadful" serials, one of the most popular authors of Victorian England. He was also a leading proponent of the working-class Chartist movement for expanded suffrage and other populist Parliamentary reforms.
More about George W.M. Reynolds...