No Laughing, No Smiling, No Giggling

No Laughing, No Smiling, No Giggling

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A hilarious encore to Don't Make Me Laugh

No laughing or smiling or giggling -- Mr. Frimdimpny doesn't like it. He's the crocodile in charge of this book, and he never laughs. Follow his rules or else!

This humorously subversive picture book invites brave readers to join Freddy Fafnaffer, the pig, in disobeying the bossy Mr. Frindimpny, in three comic acts. The first presen
Published August 16th 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published January 1st 2004)

Michelle
Mommy Bookworm’s Thoughts: This is a cute & funny book. However, IF you went back to the beginning of the book all the time like Mr. Frimdimpny wants you to….. you’d be reading the book FOREVER!!! It is a cute concept though & my daughters enjoyed reading it. Dahlia said that she was going to try to not laugh or giggle or smile and see how many times she had to go back to the beginning! She might be reading it all afternoon!! The illustrations are cute and I think it’s interesting how th...more
A_Esther
No Laughing, No Smiling, No Giggling is a low fantasy story with two personified animals as main characters. Pink pig Freddy Fafnaffer, introduces himself as “the nice one” as he welcomes readers to the book. He then alerts the audience to the presence of Mr. Frimdimpy, a mean green crocodile, who schleps through the pages informing readers that he is the boss of this book and we the reader must do what he says. The story takes place as a series of vignettes designed to tempt the reading into la...more
Kristina Moss
Apr 08, 2014 Kristina Moss added it
Shelves: animals
No Laughing, No Smiling, no Giggling by James Stevenson is such a entertaining and funny book, especially for young readers. In this book, Mr. Frimdimpny doesn't like laughter, smiling or giggling. With knock knock style jokes throughout, Mr. Frimdimpny commands the reader if you engage in any of his dislikes. I would definitely read this book to my younger students such as those in Pre Kindergarten or Kindergarten. I think this would just be a great book for entertaining purposes.
Jessy
I think that you could really have a lot of fun with this book by getting students to play along. I can't imagine how many times you would have to start the book over before you could get a class to stop "laughing, smiling, or giggling" so that you could move on. It would definitely put a positive emphasis on reading and how students view their story time for the day.

This would be appropriate for grades k-2 on the basis of how silly it can get. I think it has a lot of good implications in the c...more
Kelly Triplett
This would be a good choice to read at the beginning of the year, perhaps during the first few weeks of school. Its humor may prove to serve as an ice-breaker of sorts. This would probably be best served in upper elementary classes where the students would be more likely to “get” the jokes. It could certainly be used in lower grades; it would probably vary from class to class depending on the comprehension levels of younger students. The book is illustrated by a comic strip artist so the picture...more
Missy Kirtley
I didn't really like this one. It has the feel of "There's a Monster at the End of this Book" with the way it interacts with the reader, but it's got a mixed-up comic book look to it, which I don't think works with my daughter's age range. I brought the book home for my husband to read to my daughter tonight at bedtime, and we'll see how he feels about it.

She liked the pig on the cover.
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
This book was about a crocodile and a pig. The crocodile would make up the rules and if you broke them, you would have to start the book all over again. But we didn't... so you really don't have to, but at the end, the crocodile had to go back the start because he laughed from us tickling his tail.
Kelsi Bowman
This is a fun book to read to kids because it warns them at the beginning of laughing, smiling, and giggling. It's like they are let in on a little secret that the "narrator"; Mr. Fimdimpny doesn't know. If anyone smiles, laughs, or giggles they have to go back to the beginning of the book.
Amanda
This is a cool book, although a little beyond my 3 y.o. It's a book (or several stories) within a book which are all humorous. The main story about Pfaffnaffer and Mr. Frimdimpny is actually the funniest part, but I'm not sure I know how to engage a toddler in it to its full effect.
This one doesn't work entirely well with very obedient, serious children like Malcolm. The plotline relies on children defiantly violating commands like, "Whatever you do, do NOT tickle the Mr. Frimdimple's tail." And Malcolm just nodded and sat there, motionless.
Alicia Scully
One character in the book loves fun but the other character has strict rules against smiling and laughing. If you laugh over the course of the book, you're sent back to the beginning. Kids will have a hard time not laughing so the book is easily rereadable.
Randie
There is no laughing, no smiling, and no giggling while reading this book or you'll have to go back to the front of the back...which is exactly what you want to do because this book is sooo funny!
Jennesy
This book actually made me laugh out loud! It was a very cute comical book. I could use this on the first day when introducing the rule: follow directions no matter how hard it may be!
Ashley Greenfield
Sarah Schleicher
I used this book to work with a student who was having trouble with expression. It has a lot of text clues for how to read each word, plus it's really funny.
Matthew
This is a real crowd pleaser. Mr. Frimdimpy is truly a world class humbug. Kids laughed the whole time I read this. Perfect for a young audience.
Paula
A dominating crocodile who tells everyone not to laugh smile or giggle or otherwise you have to go back to the beginning of the book
Kid
The boys thought this was hilarious. I love the characteristic James Stevenson weird factor.
Senica
LOVE it!! This and the "Don't make me laugh" book are seriously the funniest books I've ever read!
Inspired Kathy
The concept of this book is cute. A little over the head of my 3 year old.
Anna
Cute, fun story to ready with a kid. My six year old enjoyed it.
meh, tries too hard to be funny and doesn't quite make it.
Shawn Mcclory
The girls loved this book! They thought it was very funny.
Deborah Morgan
Good for teaching recurring ideas, repetition.
Wilson
this book is very funny and makes me laugh a lot
Haylee
Great books to read to little ones!
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads databse.
More about James Stevenson...
Could Be Worse! Don't Make Me Laugh What's Under My Bed? Worst Person in the World Fried Feathers for Thanksgiving