Start by marking “No Laughing, No Smiling, No Giggling” as Want to Read:
No Laughing, No Smiling, No Giggling

No Laughing, No Smiling, No Giggling

A hilarious encore to Don't Make Me Laugh

No laughing or smiling or giggling -- Mr. Frimdimpny doesn't like it. He's the crocodile in charge of this book, and he never laughs. Follow his rules or else!

This humorously subversive picture book invites brave readers to join Freddy Fafnaffer, the pig, in disobeying the bossy Mr. Frindimpny, in three comic acts. The first prese
Published August 16th 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about No Laughing, No Smiling, No Giggling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Laughing, No Smiling, No Giggling

Aug 16, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Mommy Bookworm’s Thoughts: This is a cute & funny book. However, IF you went back to the beginning of the book all the time like Mr. Frimdimpny wants you to….. you’d be reading the book FOREVER!!! It is a cute concept though & my daughters enjoyed reading it. Dahlia said that she was going to try to not laugh or giggle or smile and see how many times she had to go back to the beginning! She might be reading it all afternoon!! The illustrations are cute and I think it’s interesting how th ...more
May 17, 2012 A_Esther rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
No Laughing, No Smiling, No Giggling is a low fantasy story with two personified animals as main characters. Pink pig Freddy Fafnaffer, introduces himself as “the nice one” as he welcomes readers to the book. He then alerts the audience to the presence of Mr. Frimdimpy, a mean green crocodile, who schleps through the pages informing readers that he is the boss of this book and we the reader must do what he says. The story takes place as a series of vignettes designed to tempt the reading into la ...more
Kristina Moss
Apr 08, 2014 Kristina Moss added it
Shelves: animals
No Laughing, No Smiling, no Giggling by James Stevenson is such a entertaining and funny book, especially for young readers. In this book, Mr. Frimdimpny doesn't like laughter, smiling or giggling. With knock knock style jokes throughout, Mr. Frimdimpny commands the reader if you engage in any of his dislikes. I would definitely read this book to my younger students such as those in Pre Kindergarten or Kindergarten. I think this would just be a great book for entertaining purposes.
Nov 29, 2015 Cat. rated it liked it
This is the first children's book in which I was so thoroughly confused that I couldn't figure out how to read it. Fortunately, my audience (2-year-old Elias) didn't care as long as made the right sounds and turned the pages in good time.
Jade Detzer
Oct 07, 2014 Jade Detzer rated it really liked it
This humorous book is great for entertainment purposes but can also be used for following the rules as well as behavior management. It is a fun book for students to read on their own as well.
The Book Box
Aug 15, 2014 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me while we sat outside watching Daddy paint. (I checked it out with my own library card!)
Jennifer Autry
Aug 31, 2014 Jennifer Autry rated it really liked it
I love this story whenever I need a good quick laugh with the kids :)
Jan 02, 2013 Jessy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I think that you could really have a lot of fun with this book by getting students to play along. I can't imagine how many times you would have to start the book over before you could get a class to stop "laughing, smiling, or giggling" so that you could move on. It would definitely put a positive emphasis on reading and how students view their story time for the day.

This would be appropriate for grades k-2 on the basis of how silly it can get. I think it has a lot of good implications in the c
Kelly Triplett
Oct 12, 2012 Kelly Triplett rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
This would be a good choice to read at the beginning of the year, perhaps during the first few weeks of school. Its humor may prove to serve as an ice-breaker of sorts. This would probably be best served in upper elementary classes where the students would be more likely to “get” the jokes. It could certainly be used in lower grades; it would probably vary from class to class depending on the comprehension levels of younger students. The book is illustrated by a comic strip artist so the picture ...more
Missy Kirtley
I didn't really like this one. It has the feel of "There's a Monster at the End of this Book" with the way it interacts with the reader, but it's got a mixed-up comic book look to it, which I don't think works with my daughter's age range. I brought the book home for my husband to read to my daughter tonight at bedtime, and we'll see how he feels about it.

She liked the pig on the cover.
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
Oct 28, 2013 Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's rated it it was amazing
This book was about a crocodile and a pig. The crocodile would make up the rules and if you broke them, you would have to start the book all over again. But we didn't... so you really don't have to, but at the end, the crocodile had to go back the start because he laughed from us tickling his tail.
Kelsi Bowman
This is a fun book to read to kids because it warns them at the beginning of laughing, smiling, and giggling. It's like they are let in on a little secret that the "narrator"; Mr. Fimdimpny doesn't know. If anyone smiles, laughs, or giggles they have to go back to the beginning of the book.
Jan 22, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This is a cool book, although a little beyond my 3 y.o. It's a book (or several stories) within a book which are all humorous. The main story about Pfaffnaffer and Mr. Frimdimpny is actually the funniest part, but I'm not sure I know how to engage a toddler in it to its full effect.
Dec 14, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
This one doesn't work entirely well with very obedient, serious children like Malcolm. The plotline relies on children defiantly violating commands like, "Whatever you do, do NOT tickle the Mr. Frimdimple's tail." And Malcolm just nodded and sat there, motionless.
Alicia Scully
Feb 04, 2012 Alicia Scully rated it really liked it
One character in the book loves fun but the other character has strict rules against smiling and laughing. If you laugh over the course of the book, you're sent back to the beginning. Kids will have a hard time not laughing so the book is easily rereadable.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Aug 21, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
There is no laughing, no smiling, and no giggling while reading this book or you'll have to go back to the front of the back...which is exactly what you want to do because this book is sooo funny!
This book actually made me laugh out loud! It was a very cute comical book. I could use this on the first day when introducing the rule: follow directions no matter how hard it may be!
Ashley Greenfield
Apr 27, 2013 Ashley Greenfield rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
Sarah Schleicher
Apr 13, 2011 Sarah Schleicher rated it really liked it
I used this book to work with a student who was having trouble with expression. It has a lot of text clues for how to read each word, plus it's really funny.
May 17, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This is a real crowd pleaser. Mr. Frimdimpy is truly a world class humbug. Kids laughed the whole time I read this. Perfect for a young audience.
Dec 06, 2012 Paula rated it it was ok
A dominating crocodile who tells everyone not to laugh smile or giggle or otherwise you have to go back to the beginning of the book
Sep 28, 2011 Kid rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, k-3
The boys thought this was hilarious. I love the characteristic James Stevenson weird factor.
May 07, 2010 Senica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
LOVE it!! This and the "Don't make me laugh" book are seriously the funniest books I've ever read!
Inspired Kathy
Feb 20, 2009 Inspired Kathy rated it liked it
The concept of this book is cute. A little over the head of my 3 year old.
Oct 21, 2012 Anna rated it it was ok
Cute, fun story to ready with a kid. My six year old enjoyed it.
Sep 16, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
meh, tries too hard to be funny and doesn't quite make it.
Shawn Mcclory
Apr 05, 2011 Shawn Mcclory rated it really liked it
The girls loved this book! They thought it was very funny.
Deborah Morgan
Jun 18, 2010 Deborah Morgan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good for teaching recurring ideas, repetition.
Jul 19, 2010 Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
this book is very funny and makes me laugh a lot
May 23, 2013 Haylee rated it it was amazing
Great books to read to little ones!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads databse.
More about James Stevenson...