Start by marking “Don't Make Me Laugh” as Want to Read:
Don't Make Me Laugh

Don't Make Me Laugh

Do you feel like laughing?
Then you'd better not read this book!
There is no laughing allowed!
Do you hear?
NO LAUGHING!
Published March 24th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Make Me Laugh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Make Me Laugh

Cheryl
Sep 07, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Proto-meta; fails for me because I don't think the situations are funny at all. There are good reasons not laugh or do the other forbidden things. And though a self-centered & uncivilized tot would chortle, I'd rather teach her to be more considerate & cooperative. Press Here remains my favorite meta. And there are others by Stevenson that I like so I will continue to read his work.
J
Nov 11, 2016 J rated it really liked it
This is best for children who are in school already. Younger ones might not get it.
Danie P.
Jan 26, 2012 Danie P. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A great read out loud book for at home. The format is most condusive to a one on one situation because you really have to take the time to flip back to the front if you laugh...and then read through it again.

I would be interested in trying this is storytime with preschoolers to see if it would work.
Zoe Scrivener
The usage of this book was a little confusing. The book assumes that the reader smile/laugh/do what you are supposed to and always sends the reader back to the beginning of the book. I couldn't figure out what I would tell a child to do if he had actually followed the instructions.
elissa
Oct 07, 2007 elissa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents and preschoolers/kindergarteners
This book is funny, but I haven't read it in a couple of years, and I don't remember a whole lot about it at this point, except that it really makes little kids laugh, and that the main character's name is Mr. Frindimpny.
Jen
Nov 22, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
This book is a GREAT read aloud. I dare anyone not to laugh when reading this book. My students were smiling and laughing throughout the entire story and everyone wanted to check it out after I read it to them.
Karen
Oct 15, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Um, I kind of liked the book. I thought it was mildly funny and clever. My son did laugh at the hippo dancing in the glass shop, so that part was a bit successful. But mostly I found this book to be pretty silly.

Tricia
Mar 29, 2008 Tricia rated it it was ok
readers are told not to make the characters of the book laugh. i didn't get it. i don't think viv did either.
Mar 11, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
So freakin' hilarious! My daughter had a great time tickling the x and trying not to smile, and I had a great time trying to make her smile.
Tina
Apr 11, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
This book is awesome! You can't make the main character laugh! But with all the people he rans into things don't go according to his plan!
Jen
Sep 13, 2008 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
I liked this one, but when I read it to the kids, they didn't get it AT ALL. Maybe too young? I did preschool to K, but I bet it'd be better for 1st through 3rd, maybe.
Nawal NK
Sep 20, 2015 Nawal NK rated it liked it
I couldn't stop laughing from the beginning till end, i swear felt like a little kid while reading the book.
Sara Lemonade
Sep 24, 2015 Sara Lemonade rated it liked it
If you smile or laugh, you have to go back to the beginning of the book. There's nothing in the book that's actually funny, but it's still IMPOSSIBLE to get through without at least smiling.
Cana
Aug 26, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it
Mommy says: In the same vein as Grover's "The Monster at the End of the Book," this is an interactive tale that made my kids laugh out loud. Cute.
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2007
Erica
Erica rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2010
Marta Arguello
Marta Arguello rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Rachel Rouleau
My three-year-old loved this one.
Jessica
Jessica rated it did not like it
Jun 06, 2014
Richa Jha
Richa Jha rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Emily Cox
Emily Cox rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2008
Lily
Lily rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2009
Traci Sumner
Traci Sumner rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Valarie
Valarie rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2012
Aug 05, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
May 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads databse.
More about James Stevenson...