Start by marking “Greetings from Knit Cafe” as Want to Read:
Greetings from Knit Cafe

Greetings from Knit Cafe

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When former CBS vice president Suzan Mischer decided to open a knitting store on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles, she wanted to create a place where people could gather, slow down, and talk (as well as buy supplies). The result was Knit Cafe, a sleek yet homey neighborhood yarn store in one of the most famous neighborhoods in the world.
This fabulous shop—and its unique spiri
Published July 1st 2006 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Greetings from Knit Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greetings from Knit Cafe

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Why oh why don't we have half stars? This is a 3.5 star book for me. There aren't enough patterns for my taste, but many of them are gorgeous and there are some unique ideas like a keyboard cover, a yarmulke and a horse blanket (although why someone would spend time knitting something that huge to put on a horse that lives in a barn is beyond me. I love animals but that sounds masochistic). One problem the book has, though, is trying to be too much: there are recipes, music lists, poems and anec ...more
Sparrow
This book has my favorite baby-sweater pattern. I changed it to add the hoods. I think I like the top version the best. I made the sweaters, not the babes:

[image error]

[image error]
thelifepursuit
Let's face it, no book ever has a list of patterns that everyone will knit. We pick the ones we like from a book and enjoy it not only for the patterns, but also the looks and the readability. It's also true I probably wouldn't use nice yarn from Japan to make a horse blanket but I do like the blanket.

The photos are very well done in this book and the layout is excellent. It's a pleasure to re-read beyond studying the patterns. It also definitely fits the friendly, relaxed yet high class souther
This is a cute book, with a very "L.A." feel. It's pink and fluffy. There are some nice patterns (The polo shirt looks comfy), but nothing that jumped off the page and said, "You must knit me NOW." The patterns are mostly comfy West coast styles.

I guess my envy was spiked a little by her story of opening the Knit Cafe: "I was creating a place for me. I wanted a space where I could do many of my favorite things--listen to music, drink tea, play with wonderful yarns, think up fun ideas to knit and
Vesper Stamper
Honestly, this book is 50% really really boring patterns. Good thing I got it for $4.99 on a really good Amazon sale. A good book for a beginner, but some of the things (the Love Blanket?!) are just fugly...and for the TIME it would take...and ALL that stockinette...heavens...

Still, I've made the guitar messenger back (VERY cool), but the lacy skirt was a disaster--the sizing was ALL wrong. It'll have to be pleated. Anyway, I like having knitting books around. It's a "cute" book.
Snorkle
This book is very inviting. I love all the funky, bright colors that seem to explode from the pages of this book. They have an excellent assortment of colors on every page. The patterns in this book were pretty cool, but I didn't see anything that caught my eye. I would recommend this book, even if you just want to look through it and get inspired.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Stefani
Dec 28, 2007 Stefani marked it as craft-knit-crochet
Different... Has a few extras here and there, like stories and recipes. Good patterns.

Architect scarf (pg 22-23)
Guitar messenger bag (pg 52-56)
Terry bathrobe [children] (pg 118-121)

Kathryn
I got this book as a gift this fall, and already I've knit a few things from it. I especially like the basic hat pattern, which makes it easy to use yarn of any weight and texture.
Ann
Beautiful photos. reasonable patterns, most of which are not over the top _Exceot of course the full length gown). I love looking through this book
Aquit
A warm and cozy up knitting book to read when it's raining--or snowing. The patterns are pretty and some look really simple to do.
La
This was OK. Definitely more advanced than a basics or beginners handbook, but I guess most of the projects just weren't my style.
While this one was not to my liking, I think there would be a lot of knitters who will really enjoy this book.
Denae
Decent book with some patterns I really like. The tone was a bit obnoxious at times, but in an ignorable way
Tricia
Along with knitting instruction, it's also the story of a little knitting shop and some of the customers.
Patti
Some innovative patterns that are fun and colorful to knit. Patterns run small so I just make adjustments.
Jill
There are a couple of very sweet children's patterns in the book.
Alicyn
honeycomb stitch
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Sarah added it
Oct 28, 2014
  • Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun
  • Scarf Style
  • Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Romantic Hand Knits: 26 Flirtatious Designs That Flatter Your Figure
  • Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together
  • Sensual Knits: Luxurious Yarns, Alluring Designs
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • One Skein
  • Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature
  • Knitting Classic Style: 35 Modern Designs Inspired by Fashion's Archives
  • Loop-d-Loop: More Than 40 Novel Designs for Knitters
  • The Best of Interweave Knits
  • French Girl Knits
  • Knitting Little Luxuries
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns