Start by marking “Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12–14” as Want to Read:
Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12–14

Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12–14

Partisans on both sides of charismatic issues are challenged by the even-handed consideration of nuances in the Greek text in these three crucial chapters.
Published August 1st 1996 by Baker Academic (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Showing the Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showing the Spirit

Drake
Dec 17, 2013 Drake rated it really liked it
Let me be clear up front: I am a cessationist. That is, I believe that the miraculous gifts in the New Testament ceased at some point near the completion of the canon of Scripture. D. A. Carson, however, is a continuationist. He believes that all of the spiritual gifts in the New Testament (except apostleship) are still active today. Yet in spite of this major difference in our perspectives, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed his book on the subject of spiritual gifts. Carson's exegesis of 1 ...more
Mike E.
Have miraculous spiritual gifts like tongues or prophesy ceased? No, says Carson. This book should be read by those who lean toward cessationism and those who do not. It's difficult to imagine a more helpful, reasonable, and Spirit-filled book on 1 Cor. 12-14. This may be a challenge for some to read. But you will be rewarded.

No serious cessationist can hold to his views without responding--at least internally-- to this work that's been around for many years. Read for yourself.

QUOTES:

If Paul doe
Stephen Willcox
Jan 16, 2015 Stephen Willcox rated it it was amazing
It seems to me that Carson's work on 1 Corinthians 12-14 no longer make the cessationist a plausible theory. Carson certainly does excellent work on the abuses of speaking in tongues and demonstrates at length pastoral concern for much of what is done in the charismatic movement. Yet, Scripture is not so clear on the issue that we have authority from God's Word to write off and disregard every testimony that would fall under the categories of gifts that many such as MacArthur would argue has ...more
Butch
Nov 06, 2013 Butch rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Good exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 as it relates to the issue of spiritual gifts and especially the charismatic gifts. Whether you agree with all of his conclusions he has put together a thoughtful discussion of the text and it's implications on the current day church.
Adam Embry
May 17, 2013 Adam Embry rated it it was amazing
The most compelling book that helped me move away from charismatic / Pentecostal doctrine.
Louis Fritz v
Nov 24, 2013 Louis Fritz v rated it really liked it
Carson does an excellent job of dissecting the three key chapters which divide so many arguments between the charismatic movement and the cessationist (and their subsets). At the same time, he does well of bringing up key means in which both members are at fault in their theology. The only real difficulty with the text is the amount of excessive word study analysis - great for seminary/post-seminary students - but it does provide a need for someone to create a laity accessible approach to this ...more
Bart Box
Apr 19, 2013 Bart Box rated it it was amazing
Carson's work on 1 Corinthians 12-14 is a perfect example of exegetical thoroughness and pastoral sensitivity. He addresses the issues in the text with incredible care and seems to anticipate all the questions the reader would have. He takes into account the immediate context (1 Corinthians) and the wider biblical context (Acts, in particular). The last chapter contains excellent practical examples and counsel.
Tom Beetham
Dec 11, 2014 Tom Beetham rated it it was amazing
This book is Carson at his best. Overall, even handed to both sides of the debate. Most importantly, it is tied to sound biblical exegesis. It helped answer some important questions I had. I still wonder: if these gifts are all still in existence, as I believe they are (and so does Carson), and every gift is a good gift from God, why should we not actively seek them all? I believe we should. I wish Carson took this tack a little more as well, but all in all, an exceptional book.
Michael Vincent
Aug 30, 2014 Michael Vincent rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how this book could have been better. A thorough, balanced discussion of tongues, prophecy and other issues contained in 1 Corinthians 12 - 14. Other passages were also discussed when needed. Carson is scholarly, yet adds a pastoral touch. A must read for those in pastoral work and theology. My volume was a third printing from 1989, with a copyright of 1987.
Joe Valenti
Sep 02, 2013 Joe Valenti rated it it was amazing
Even though this book was published in 1987, it is still one of the most important works on the subject of the ongoing miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit. Carson, a master of the Greek language and exegesis, has provided a very accessible volume on three of the most important chapters in the Bible surrounding the miraculous gifts. As an orthodox evangelical, his conclusions may surprise you!
Jake
Apr 17, 2015 Jake rated it really liked it
This is certainly one of the better works on the "charismatic" gifts, as it stays well grounded in what the original words say (or don't say). The continual admonition for Christians to be openhanded in their discussions over these chapters serves as a valuable reminder.
Gerald
Jan 21, 2012 Gerald rated it it was amazing
Classic Carson: Clear, exegetical, balanced, insightful, worshipful. I was immensely helped in my thinking about these issues because of his precise reflections over the Scriptures. I especially appreciated his emphasis (as was Paul's) on love and unity in the body.
Gaby
Feb 06, 2012 Gaby is currently reading it
Reading it for thoughts on the gift of tongues.

I would definitely use some of Carson's observations to build a theology on tongues, gifts and spirit baptism.
Dave
Jan 14, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, it is a hard read, very academic, however, was very encouraged throughout the entire book.
Ryan Wolfe
Dec 01, 2012 Ryan Wolfe rated it it was amazing
Super good treatment of the Corinthian passage. Plus at the end he reviews perspectives from Luke and thoughts on revelation.

His treatment is balanced and thorough.
Craig
Nov 20, 2008 Craig rated it really liked it
Good exposition of 1 Cor 12-14, though I didn't agree with his understanding of "interpreting tongues".
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Matt Powell
Matt Powell rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Aaron Winter-Hartley
Aaron Winter-Hartley rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Chase Sears
Chase Sears rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Bensaetang
Bensaetang rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Michael Pagan
Michael Pagan rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Touchpoint
Touchpoint rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2008
Brad
Brad rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2011
Gary Shogren
Gary Shogren rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Benjamin Wright
Benjamin Wright rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God
  • Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution
  • Are Miraculous Gifts for Today?: Four Views (Counterpoints Series)
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel
  • Gospel And Kingdom: A Christian Interpretation Of The Old Testament
  • Believer's Baptism: Sign of the New Covenant in Christ
  • Above All Earthly Pow'rs: Christ in a Postmodern World
  • The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23
  • Romans
  • More Than Conquerors
  • Communion with God
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
  • Engaging with God: A Biblical Theology of Worship
  • Preaching Christ from the Old Testament: A Contemporary Hermeneutical Method
  • Romans
D.A. Carson is research professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. He has been at Trinity since 1978. Carson came to Trinity from the faculty of Northwest Baptist Theological Seminary in Vancouver, British Columbia, where he also served for two years as academic dean. He has served as assistant pastor and pastor and has done itinerant ministry in ...more
More about D.A. Carson...