Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 01 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #1)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 01 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun #1)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  789 ratings  ·  35 reviews
となりの席の吉田くんは入学初日の流血事件以来、一度も学校に来ない…。自分の成績と将来にしか興味がなかった水谷雫は、たまたまプリントを届けたため、その吉田春に勝手に友達認定されてしまう。しかも、春の純粋さを知って優しくすると今度は告白までされちゃって…!?
169 pages
Published January 13th 2009 by 講談社 [Kōdansha]

Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
38th out of 302 books — 397 voters
Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
121st out of 562 books — 1,139 voters

More lists with this book...

Christine
Jul 31, 2013 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The socially awkward, rom/com manga lovers
I watched the anime first, and wrote a review for it because I just adored it so much. I then went on to read the manga, which I adored even more! For simplicity and organization's sake, I am going to copy/paste that review here since it would essentially be the same.

Within the first few minutes of the show, I felt bombarded with clear signals of mental instability within almost every main character. I immediately started getting annoyed, thinking that my decision to watch a seemingly corny high...more
Sakura Yue Michaelis
This manga has a few cliches moments/characters (the stray dog, the 'tsundere' girl, the 'scary' main boy) but I found it enjoyable, and pretty funny. Shizuku (the Girl) is actually funny. She is supposed to be cold and heartless, and maybe she is because all that she used to care was her grades. Until Haru came along. And Haru is the typical 'bad boy' who is in reality a sweetheart. His reputation is based on misunderstandings. All the he wants to is make friends. When he started to attend scho...more
Miss
alright peeps let me tell you how this volume went down

within twenty pages i was completely charmed by haru! mostly because characters with overly dramatic feelings about friendship are invariably my favourite. i blame skip beat.

and then he said he was in love with shizuku which ngl left me a little less charmed but ah well. such is the shoujo life

as the volume progressed i ended up kind of borderline on haru though, like i get that he's supposed to be completely socially maladjusted but come on...more
S.Q. Eries
Alejandra De La Fuente
So TNKK, as I will be dubbing it since the full name is pretty long, is a fantastic shoujo about a young girl called Shizuku. She is a total workaholic; all she cares about is studying and her grades so she can grow up and become a career woman like her mother. However, one day she is assigned to deliver homework to a student called Haru (who is emotionally crippled and kind of an idiot despite the IQ) and because of him accepting her as his first friend (against her will), she ends up meeting a...more
Hardian
"Dulu aku tak pernah sadar, langit senja di atap sekolah tampak begitu biru. Dunia... terlihat sangat luas. Suara-suara yang selama ini aku abaikan, begitu luar biasa, begitu menentramkan hati."

I still remember watching the anime adaptation and enjoyed the dynamic relationship between the two main characters, nah, all characters.

Despite being a romantic comedy, this manga talks much about friendship. Shizuku who didn't have friends but was OK or didn't care that much about it, Haru who didn't ha...more
Debbie
Schon lange habe ich keinen Manga mehr zur Hand genommen und hielt mich eher an Animes, doch als ich durch die Neuerscheinungen blätterte, sprang es mir regelrecht ins Gesicht - Das Cover von “My little Monster”. Wie von selbst betätigte meine Maus die Zoom-Funktion und ZACK, es war passiert - Liebe auf den ersten Blick. Ich kann mich einfach nicht an dem Cover satt sehen, genau mein Geschmack! Schnell war klar, das muss ich lesen!

Nach einigen Recherchen bin ich darauf gestoßen, dass diese 12tei...more
Irene
Yay! I like this manga so much! The drawing is great and I really enjoy the storyline :3 Can't wait till I lay my hands on a printed copy *__*
Mikaela
This is interesting.. Cute artwork. I'll continue reading it! :D
Lynanne Carroll
**This review is for the entire series (finished or unfinished). I started only adding the first volume from manga titles because, well, do you realize just how many volumes of One Piece there are?!**

Thus far, I've enjoyed this manga immensely. The art style is simple and clean, the characters are endearing (if a bit confusing at times) and slightly quirky, and the plot is still interesting ~50 chapters in.

This is definitely one of those laugh-out-loud-almost-every-panel kind of manga. The roma...more
Mehsi
I watched this anime back when it aired, and I was all sad when the show ended quite soon. But there was much rejoicing when I found out that the manga will be getting an official English release!!!!

This manga is just wonderful, silly, lovely and more. The anime really did its best though, the manga is pretty much the same as the anime. Same silly situations between the characters (especially Haru and Shizuku).

I absolutely love Shizuku and Haru, they go so well together, though it took them some...more
Faith W.
Mar 11, 2014 Faith W. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody. Especially if you enjoy rom-com.
Shelves: manga, favorites
I watched the anime adaptation of this series when it aired on Crunchyroll, and to date, it still is one of my favorite shows, so when I heard that the manga series would be translated and published (legally) in english, I was delighted! I am insanely glad that the first volume didn't disappoint! It did quite the opposite, really.

You can take me seriously when I say that I think anybody who reads this would be satisfied with it. It is insanely adorable! The characters have such…. well, charact...more
Níηα
I think this has become one of my favourite mangas to read. It's definitely not like the usual shojo. Neither female or male protagonists remind me of the usual, like as in, one is a study bug who thinks of nothing but studying, and doesn't give a second thought to how she looks. The other is an admittedly good looking guy who also happens to be incredibly strange. What's more, the romance is pretty steady. For a while, there's a lot of ambiguity between Shizuku and Haru, but it's cute, the way...more
Hana Bilqisthi
pertama kali baca di manga online dan sempet mengira bakal seperti manga shoujo lainnya yaitu pasangan yang terdiri dari co nakal dan ce pintar...
tapi ternyata tidak :D
suka banget sama manga ini dan bersyukur M &C nerbitin versi cetaknya :D
alasan hana suka manga ini karena
a. ceritanya beda dari shoujo biasanya
b. karakter shizuku mirip sama Hana (hana juga tipe yang cuma peduli sama nilai dan pelajaran, sampai2 ngga peduli sama temen, shizuku itu tipe ce mandiri dan tegar)
c. suka sama perjuan...more
Neha
May 17, 2013 Neha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Before I review the manga, I want to state that my experience with this series began when the anime aired last year. I thoroughly enjoyed the anime very much, but felt that it was far too short, not giving it enough justice.

Now, moving along. I really liked this first volume of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. It is a shoujo romantic comedy series with a handful of fun characters. The plot does appear to follow the standard, but I don't really mind as long as long as there is some amount of depth to it....more
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
If you are looking for a manga thats overly cutesy...this isnt it. But if you arent afraid of a shoujo manga where the characters have complicated and realistic feelings this one is for you.

For some reason the cover seems to make out that its a manga like Beast Master, Vol. 1 when in actuality its not even close.Haru is far from a feral guy,maybe a little rash and clueless at times,but hardly a wild guy.

I would even say the "chains" represented on the cover art is more of the emotional kind,a me...more
KaktusStulka
Uno de los mejores mangas shojo que se ha hecho. Diversión, romance, amistad y unos personajes de lo más achuchable. Inmejorable.
Sean O'Hara
Shoujo manga's long history of showing girls what to expect from healthy relationships continues.
Biondy
Ceritanya lucu sih. Cuma kadang kok merasa kurang nyambung antara satu panel dengan panel yang lain yah.
Caroline Maston
Badly printed and a stupid and confusing plot
Paola
La verdadera razón por la que decidí leer el manga es porque el anime termino mucho antes que el manga y eso de verdad me molesto ya que yo quiero saber la historia completa. Más ahora que leí que el volumen 12 sería el último de este manga.

Así tipo "los libros siempre son mejores que sus adaptaciones en película" pasa con el manga, de un modo u otro tiene algo mejor que el anime y quizás sean los detalles o que ponen todo. Pues hasta ahora, ambos me ha gustado por igual. ¡A ver que me espera en...more
♡
Haru precioso<3
Claire
My first after a long hiatus of not reading any manga! Just my type, deep and hilarious. Haru never fails to surprise me and Shizuku will be a changed character. One more thing I really love about the manga are the supporting characters, Natsume and Sasayan for the win - I know for certain that the author have cooked up something for this two, I just can't wait. Also, I can't wait for all the complications! Kyaa~
Orinthia Lee
Kocak parah sekaligus manis. Tokoh cowok ajaib model begini kayaknya emang cuma bisa muncul di komik hahaha....
Cat
Oct 22, 2012 Cat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Great art, interesting characters and excellent take on loneliness, but damn, weird idea of romance. I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing or not, but it gets cringeworthy sometimes. 3,5 stars.
Shu Ying
3.4/5
It is readable and there is some comedy.
It wasn't bad but it isn't good as well.
I will recommend 1 to read and dropped it if they aren't fond of the first volume.
Shoujo Manga Book...: My Little Monster Discussion 6 16 May 07, 2014 07:01AM
  • ホリミヤ 1 (Horimiya #1)
  • ラストゲーム 1  [Last Game 1]
  • Hiyokoi 1
  • 日々蝶々 1 [Hibi Chouchou 1]
  • アオハライド 1 (Ao Haru Ride, #1)
  • Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1
  • ひるなかの流星 1 (Hirunaka no Ryuusei, #1)
  • L-DK, Vol. 01
  • Chihayafuru, Vol. 1 (Chihayafuru, #1)
  • Inu x Boku SS, Vol. 1
  • Toradora! Vol. 1
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 02 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #2) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 03 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #3) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 06 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #6) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 04 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #4) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 05 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #5)