Start by marking “Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 01 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 01 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #1)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 01 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  2,443 ratings  ·  92 reviews
となりの席の吉田くんは入学初日の流血事件以来、一度も学校に来ない…。自分の成績と将来にしか興味がなかった水谷雫は、たまたまプリントを届けたため、その吉田春に勝手に友達認定されてしまう。しかも、春の純粋さを知って優しくすると今度は告白までされちゃって…!?
Published January 13th 2009 by 講談社 [Kōdansha]

To ask other readers questions about Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 01

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
82nd out of 596 books — 1,357 voters
Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
26th out of 330 books — 499 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Stark

I just watched the cutest little anime on Netflix...and it ended abruptly as do all anime adaptations from manga, so naturally, I have to read the entire series to actually "finish" the story.

I love the fact that this book is reversed in that the naive-happy-go-lucky guy (who just happens to have anger issues and is avoided by everyone else) falls for the isolated-independent-cold girl (who's mission in life is to study for all of eternity). I love triangles and squares galore. I love the side f
Christine
Jul 31, 2013 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The socially awkward, rom/com manga lovers
I watched the anime first, and wrote a review for it because I just adored it so much. I then went on to read the manga, which I adored even more! For simplicity and organization's sake, I am going to copy/paste that review here since it would essentially be the same.

Within the first few minutes of the show, I felt bombarded with clear signals of mental instability within almost every main character. I immediately started getting annoyed, thinking that my decision to watch a seemingly corny high
Alejandra De La Fuente
So TNKK, as I will be dubbing it since the full name is pretty long, is a fantastic shoujo about a young girl called Shizuku. She is a total workaholic; all she cares about is studying and her grades so she can grow up and become a career woman like her mother. However, one day she is assigned to deliver homework to a student called Haru (who is emotionally crippled and kind of an idiot despite the IQ) and because of him accepting her as his first friend (against her will), she ends up meeting a ...more
Amanda L
I wasn't really sure about this manga when I first started it. But despite the fact that the drawings are not that great (my opinion, for sure!), it makes me laugh.
Sakura Yue Michaelis
This manga has a few cliches moments/characters (the stray dog, the 'tsundere' girl, the 'scary' main boy) but I found it enjoyable, and pretty funny. Shizuku (the Girl) is actually funny. She is supposed to be cold and heartless, and maybe she is because all that she used to care was her grades. Until Haru came along. And Haru is the typical 'bad boy' who is in reality a sweetheart. His reputation is based on misunderstandings. All the he wants to is make friends. When he started to attend scho ...more
Lynanne Carroll
**This review is for the entire series (finished or unfinished). I started only adding the first volume from manga titles because, well, do you realize just how many volumes of One Piece there are?!**

Thus far, I've enjoyed this manga immensely. The art style is simple and clean, the characters are endearing (if a bit confusing at times) and slightly quirky, and the plot is still interesting ~50 chapters in.

This is definitely one of those laugh-out-loud-almost-every-panel kind of manga. The roma
KaYeah
Series rating 5.0 starss!

I read this series on a whim while waiting for Ao Haru Ride updates.
I never expected to love this one so much!! I love the illustrations of the mangaka and the plot of the story too. It's filled with cutesy scenes and such (though not all of it).

The story starts with a misunderstanding on Haru-kun's side, as he thinks that Shizuku is a friend of his. The guy is pretty dense on just about everything though, so that explains it. From this encounter then starts a rollercoa
Miss
alright peeps let me tell you how this volume went down

within twenty pages i was completely charmed by haru! mostly because characters with overly dramatic feelings about friendship are invariably my favourite. i blame skip beat.

and then he said he was in love with shizuku which ngl left me a little less charmed but ah well. such is the shoujo life

as the volume progressed i ended up kind of borderline on haru though, like i get that he's supposed to be completely socially maladjusted but come on
S.Q. Eries
Caitlin
Like some other people I watched the anime on Netflix and then when the season ended went "No I need more!" I really enjoyed reading this, there were so many refreshing things about it. The fact that one of the girl's main story lines is how much she loves and wants to support her female friendships, and that she and the main boy spend the most time together in a completely platonic way. Or that the main character is so stoic that she doesn't get swept up in these huge dramas all the time. My on ...more
Rachel
Shizuku has devoted her whole life to studying with the goal of getting a good job, but when miscreant Haru attaches himself to her, suddenly her goals start to feel a bit hollow; her orderly life gets swept away by his erratic and emotional behaviour. Haru has a lot more going underneath the surface than the summary suggests though, and because both of them are socially awkward, their relationship hits many a bump in the road. At first everything feels rather contrived, but as bits of backstory ...more
Adriana
I had watched the first episode of the My Little Monster anime and it piqued my interest. Most of what was in the first episode could be found in this first volume with an extra chapter. Haru is intense. He's very socially awkward to the point where he glares and gets into fights regularly. What really struck me about Haru and Mizutani is that they are both very lonely. Haru's loneliness makes him feel hollow while Mizutani doesn't seem to realize it's there until she meets Haru.

Mizutani's goal
Aurora Dimitre
Okay, so this was probably the cutest thing I've ever read in my life. It was absolutely adorable; the characters and the art and the dialogue and just everything.

The story kicks off when Mizutani, a girl who is only focused on her grades, ends up going to Haru's house to drop off his work. Haru has been suspended for fighting, and is overall seen as a dangerous, scary person. And then it gets really adorable, because Haru gets super excited about having a 'friend that brings him his homework.
Hardian
"Dulu aku tak pernah sadar, langit senja di atap sekolah tampak begitu biru. Dunia... terlihat sangat luas. Suara-suara yang selama ini aku abaikan, begitu luar biasa, begitu menentramkan hati."

I still remember watching the anime adaptation and enjoyed the dynamic relationship between the two main characters, nah, all characters.

Despite being a romantic comedy, this manga talks much about friendship. Shizuku who didn't have friends but was OK or didn't care that much about it, Haru who didn't ha
Debbie
Schon lange habe ich keinen Manga mehr zur Hand genommen und hielt mich eher an Animes, doch als ich durch die Neuerscheinungen blätterte, sprang es mir regelrecht ins Gesicht - Das Cover von “My little Monster”. Wie von selbst betätigte meine Maus die Zoom-Funktion und ZACK, es war passiert - Liebe auf den ersten Blick. Ich kann mich einfach nicht an dem Cover satt sehen, genau mein Geschmack! Schnell war klar, das muss ich lesen!

Nach einigen Recherchen bin ich darauf gestoßen, dass diese 12tei
Irene
Yay! I like this manga so much! The drawing is great and I really enjoy the storyline :3 Can't wait till I lay my hands on a printed copy *__*
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
3.5
this one is so unique and wonderful in its lameness. woohoo! go you!
Mikaela
This is interesting.. Cute artwork. I'll continue reading it! :D
Panquequelife

Esta nueva reseña de manga la traigo de forma muy especial ya que antes de empezar a leer Tonari no Kaibatsu-kun no era una persona muy fan de los shoujo, hasta los evitaba un poco porque hasta ese momento sólo me habáan decepcionado. Hasta que leí este manga.

Latramatrata sobre la vida escolar de Shizuku y Haru junto a sus amigos Asako, Sasayan y Yamaguchi lo que quizá recuerda un poco a la pasada reseña de Horimiya, pero la diferencia es que en este caso no son chicos reprimiendo sus verdade
Corley
More of a 3.5

I watched the anime adaptation of My Little Monster this past February and absolutely loved it, so honestly, I'm not sure why I took so long to actually get the manga. At this time, I've bought the first three but have only read this one, and so far, it's...enjoyable, yes, but not quite in the same way the anime was for me, although I am a bit biased since I watched it first.

Compared to many school romance anime/manga I've seen/read, I like the freshness of this title's set-up, part
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3.5/5

[Read more at my blog, Geeky Reading!]

This volume did not start out as exciting as I thought it would, but it was still very good. It started a little slow, I guess.

I enjoy the pet dynamic in shojo manga, where the boy is adorable but violent, and the girl kind of tames him. It’s just an adorable dynamic, in my opinion. And I don’t think there are enough manga translated with it. Which is part of why I jumped right on board with this series, I’m sure.

Mizutani is the girl, a little disinter
Mehsi
I watched this anime back when it aired, and I was all sad when the show ended quite soon. But there was much rejoicing when I found out that the manga will be getting an official English release!!!!

This manga is just wonderful, silly, lovely and more. The anime really did its best though, the manga is pretty much the same as the anime. Same silly situations between the characters (especially Haru and Shizuku).

I absolutely love Shizuku and Haru, they go so well together, though it took them some
Faith W.
Mar 11, 2014 Faith W. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody. Especially if you enjoy rom-com.
Shelves: manga, favorites
I watched the anime adaptation of this series when it aired on Crunchyroll, and to date, it still is one of my favorite shows, so when I heard that the manga series would be translated and published (legally) in english, I was delighted! I am insanely glad that the first volume didn't disappoint! It did quite the opposite, really.

You can take me seriously when I say that I think anybody who reads this would be satisfied with it. It is insanely adorable! The characters have such…. well, charact
Nɪɴᴀ {Words and Water}
I think this has become one of my favourite mangas to read. It's definitely not like the usual shojo. Neither female or male protagonists remind me of the usual, like as in, one is a study bug who thinks of nothing but studying, and doesn't give a second thought to how she looks. The other is an admittedly good looking guy who also happens to be incredibly strange. What's more, the romance is pretty steady. For a while, there's a lot of ambiguity between Shizuku and Haru, but it's cute, the way ...more
RiKanna
Leído el manga entero:
Resumiendo, para fans del género, de la comedia romántica, adelante, creo que es uno de los shojos que más me ha enganchado, y con unos personajes bastante bien definidos (aunque sean arquetipos). Aun así no vas a encontrar la obra revolucionaria del género, así que sino te gusta nada la comedia romántica, o no te apetece vete a otro manga.

Leer más en: http://paranoiasrikanna.blogspot.com....
saffiyah
I really liked this manga. I watched the anime version first and I instantly fell in love with the characters. After I finished the anime I decided to read the manga and I can't wait to complete the whole entire series. Unfortunately, the last two books in the manga series have not be translated into English yet so I'm very sad about that but I am still hopeful that they will soon. But this book is 100% worth the read.One of my favorites for sure.
Fanae
I actually read this one around the same time I read "Say I Love You" and "My little monster" did I way better romance plot in my book. This manga has a good way of keeping you entertained through and through. The interactions between characters is really humorous. I'm a fan of the romantic development and the two main characters in general. They have distinctive traits and they learn how to love each other in the most satisfying way.
Jazmín Romero
El diseño de personajes es muy bonito. La caracterización en un principio es algo cliché, pero luego uno va encontrando particularidades en cada uno. La historia de amor se va frenando de forma un poco innecesaria, las complicaciones parecen algo exageradas, pero la historia es profunda y habla de cosas como la vocación, el bullying, las presiones por el estudio y el valor de la amistad y la familia. Muy recomendable. Me gustó mucho.
Rania yousife

i have read the whole thing and let me tell you .. it was so fluff .. Haru was so cute and idiot .. the girl ,which her name i dont recall , I think Shizue ... i kinda dislike her because she is a study bug .. i pity the fair haired guy , because he fell for Shizue , Yet he was so arrogant , he deserve it ..
the ending was satisfying even though i wanted to know about the other characters "ending" ..
Shoujo Manga Book...: My Little Monster Discussion 6 21 May 07, 2014 07:01AM
  • Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1
  • たいようのいえ 1 [Taiyou no Ie 1]
  • ホリミヤ 1 (Horimiya #1)
  • アオハライド [Ao Haru Ride] 4 (Blue Spring Ride, #4)
  • ラストゲーム 1  [Last Game 1]
  • Princess Jellyfish, Vol. 1 (Princess Jellyfish, #1)
  • Gokusen 1
  • The One, Volume #1
  • My Love Story!!, Vol. 1
  • ひるなかの流星 [Hirunaka no Ryuusei] 1 (Daytime Shooting Star, #1)
  • 日々蝶々 1 [Hibi Chouchou 1]
  • Orange 1 (オレソジ, #1)
  • Hiyokoi 1
  • ニセコイ [Fake Love] 1 (Nisekoi, #1)
  • Gakuen Babysitters, Vol. 1
  • Chihayafuru, Vol. 1 (Chihayafuru, #1)
  • キャットストリート 1 [Cat Street 1]
  • オオカミ少女と黒王子 [Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji] 1 (Wolf Girl and Black Prince, #1)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 02 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #2)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 03 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #3)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 04 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #4)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 05 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #5)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 06 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #6)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 07 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #7)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 08 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #8)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 09 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #9)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 10 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #10)
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 11 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #11)
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 02 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #2) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 03 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #3) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 04 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #4) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 05 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #5) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 06 (Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun, #6)